Simple equations to estimate light interception by isolated trees from canopy structure features: assessment with three-dimensional digitized apple trees
Article first published online: 23 APR 2007
Volume 175, Issue 1, pages 94–106, July 2007
How to Cite
Sinoquet, H., Stephan, J., Sonohat, G., Lauri, P. É. and Monney, Ph. (2007), Simple equations to estimate light interception by isolated trees from canopy structure features: assessment with three-dimensional digitized apple trees. New Phytologist, 175: 94–106. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2007.02088.x
- Issue published online: 23 APR 2007
- Article first published online: 23 APR 2007
- Received: 26 January 2007 Accepted: 27 February 2007
- 1999. POL95 – Software to Drive a Polhemus Fastrak 3 SPACE 3D Digitiser, Version 1.0. Clermont-Ferrand, France: UMR PIAF INRA-UBP.
- 2002. Vegestar – software to compute light interception and canopy photosynthesis from images of 3D digitised plants, Version 3.0. Clermont-Ferrand, France: UMR PIAF INRA-UBP. , ,
- 2005. Using 1-systems for modeling source sink interactions, architecture and physiology of growing trees: the L-PEACH model. New Phytologist 166: 869–880. , ,
- 1977. Application aux couverts végétaux des lois de rayonnement en milieu diffusant. I. Etablissement des lois et vérifications expérimentales. Annales Agronomiques 28: 567–582. ,
- 2004. Représentation géométrique multi-échelles de l’architecture des plantes. PhD thesis. Montpellier, France: Université Montpellier II.
- 1985. Influence of shoot structure on light interception and photosynthesis in conifers. Plant Physiology 79: 1038–1043. ,
- Botanical determinants of foliage clumping and light interception in two-year old short rotation coppice poplar canopies: assessment from 3D plant mock-ups. Annals of Forest Science. , . (in press).
- 1832. Mémoire sur la rectification des courbes et la quadrature des surfaces courbes. In: Œuvres complètes d’A. Cauchy. Serie I, Tome II. Paris, France: Gauthier-Villars, 167–177.
- 1997. Modelling the radiative transfer in discontinuous canopies of asymmetric crowns.1. Model structure and algorithms. Ecological Modelling 101: 263–274.
- 1998. The nested radiosity model for the distribution of light within plant canopies. Ecological Modelling 111: 75–91. ,
- 1993. Measurement of gap fraction of fractal generated canopies using digitalized image analysis. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 65: 245–259. , , ,
- 1995. Polyhedral representation of crown shape. A geometric tool for growth modelling. Annales Des Sciences Forestières 52: 297–306. , ,
- 1987. The distribution of leaf area, radiation, photosynthesis and transpiration in a shamouti orange hedgerow canopy. I. Leaf area and radiation. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 40: 13–144. ,
- 1995. Canopy clumpiness and radiation penetration in a young hedgerow apple orchard. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 76: 185–200. , ,
- 2006. Does shade improve light interception efficiency? A comparison among seedlings from shade tolerant and intolerant temperate deciduous tree species. New Phytologist 172: 293–304. , , , ,
- 1989. The interpretation of remote sensing, a feasibility study. PhD thesis. Wageningen, the Netherlands: Wageningen University.
- 2004. Dart: a 3D model for simulating satellite images and studying surface radiation budget. International Journal of Remote Sensing 25: 73–96. , ,
- 2000. Ground monitoring the light-shadow windows of a tree canopy to yield canopy light interception and morphological traits. Plant, Cell & Environment 23: 783–796. , , ,
- 2005. Functional-structural plant modelling. New Phytologist 166: 705–708. ,
- 1986. Production maximale de matière sèche et rayonnement solaire intercepté par un couvert végétal. Agronomie 6: 47–56. , , , , ,
- 1998. Raytran: a Monte Carlo ray tracing model to compute light scattering in three-dimensional heterogeneous media. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing 36: 493–505. ,
- 1975. High-density apple orchards – planting, training and pruning. US Department of Agriculture Handbook 458. Washington, DC, USA: US Department of Agriculture.
- 1972. Interception of light by model hedgerow orchards in relation to latitude, time of year and hedgerow configuration and orientation. Journal of Applied Ecology 9: 341–357. ,
- 1979. A simple model of light transmission and interception by discontinuous canopies. Annals of Botany 44: 381–383. ,
- 1982. Radiative transfer model for heterogeneous 3D scenes. Applied Optics 21: 4119–4129. ,
- 1931. Ein Beitrag zur Optik der Farbenstriche. Zeitung für Technische Physik 12: 593–601. ,
- 2000. A directional multispectral forest reflectance model. Remote Sensing of Environment 72: 244–252. ,
- 1973. Leaf orientation of a cotton plant. Agricultural Meteorology 11: 37–51.
- 1991. Application of some Cauchy's theorems to estimation of surface areas of leaves, needles and branches of plants, and light transmittance. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 58: 79–92.
- 2002. From tree architecture to tree training – an overview of recent concepts developed in apple in France. Journal of the Korean Society for Horticultural Science 43: 782–788.
- 1992. Breeding apple tree: aims and methods. In: Rousselle-BourgeoisF, RousselleP, eds. Proceedings of the Joint Conference of the E.A.PR. Breeding and Varietal Assessment Section and the E.UC.A.R.P.I.A Potato Section. Ploudaniel, France: INRA, 103–110.
- 1984. Crop simulation studies using 3-D graphics: canopy architecture and light interception. Paper ASAE NO 84-4013. St Joseph, MI, USA: University of Tennessee, American Society of Agricultural Sciences. , , ,
- 1942. Illumination from a non-uniform sky. Transactions of the Illumination Engineering Society 37: 707–726. ,
- 1991. Modeling radiative transfer and photosynthesis in three-dimensional vegetation canopies. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 55: 323–344.
- 1971. A theoretical analysis of the frequency of gaps in plant stands. Agricultural Meteorology 8: 25–38.
- 1975. Photosynthesis in Sitka spruce (Picea sitchensis (bong.) carr.). V. Radiation penetration theory and a test case. Journal of Applied Ecology 12: 839–878. ,
- 1983. Radiative transfer in an array of canopies. Agronomy Journal 75: 481–488. ,
- 1983. Effect of grouping of foliage on the within stand and within-crown light regime: comparison of random and grouping canopy models. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 28: 143–155. ,
- 2006. A photographic gap fraction method for estimating leaf area of isolated trees: assessment with 3D digitized plants. Tree Physiology 26: 1123–1136. , ,
- 2005. A method for 3D reconstruction of tree crown Volume from photographs: assessment with 3D-digitized plants. Tree Physiology 25: 1229–1242. ,
- Polhemus Inc,. 1993. 3SPACE FASTRAK User's Manual, Revision F. Colchester, VT, USA: Polhemus Inc.
- 1990. The algorithmic beauty of plants. New York, NY, USA: Springer-Verlag. ,
- 1996. Virtual plants: new perspectives for ecologists, pathologists and agricultural scientists. Trends in Plant Science 1: 33–38. , ,
- 1981. The radiation regime and architecture of plant stands. The Hague, the Netherlands: Junk.
- 1988. Calculation of canopy bidirectional reflectance using the Monte Carlo method. Remote Sensing of Environment 24: 213–225. ,
- 2001. Reconstructing 3D tree model from instrumented photograph. IEEE Computer Graphics and Application 21: 53–61. , , ,
- 2001. RATP, a model for simulating the spatial distribution of radiation absorption, transpiration and photosynthesis within canopies: application to an isolated tree crown. Plant, Cell & Environment 24: 395–406. , , , ,
- 2004. Light and carbon acquisition partitioning between flushes of two-year-old mango trees. Proceedings of the 4th Workshop on Functional-Structural Plant Models (FSPM04), Montpellier, 7–11 June 2004. Montpellier, France: CIRAD, 146–149. , , ,
- 2000. Comparison of models for daily light partitioning in multispecies canopies. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 101: 251–263. , ,
- 1997. Measurement and visualisation of the architecture of an adult tree based on a three-dimensional digitising device. Trees: Structure and Function 11: 265–270. ,
- 2005. Foliage randomness and light interception in 3D digitised trees: an analysis from multiscale discretisation of the canopy. Plant, Cell & Environment 28: 1158–1170. , , ,
- 1998. Characterisation of light interception in canopies using 3D digitising and image processing. Annals of Botany 82: 203–212. , , ,
- 2006. Three-dimensional reconstruction of partially 3D digitised peach tree canopies. Tree Physiology 26: 337–351. , , , ,
- 1978. Photosynthesis and transpiration of an isolated tree: model and validation. Plant, Cell & Environment 1: 269–277. , , , ,
- 1995. Non-destructive measurement of leaf area in olive (Olea europaea L.) trees using a gap inversion method. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 73: 29–42. , ,
- 1960. Inclined point quadrats. New Phytologist 59: 1–8.
- 1990. Architectural distribution of foliage of individual Pinus radiata D. Don crowns and the effects of clumping on radiation interception. Tree Physiology 7: 135–155. , ,
- 2004. Light interception in apple trees influenced by canopy architecture manipulation. Trees: Structure and Function 18: 705–713. , ,
- 1991. A method for estimation of fractal dimension of tree crowns. Forest Science 37: 1253–1265. ,