How do climate warming and species richness affect CO2 fluxes in experimental grasslands?
Article first published online: 7 JUN 2007
Volume 175, Issue 3, pages 512–522, August 2007
How to Cite
De Boeck, H. J., Lemmens, C. M. H. M., Vicca, S., Van den Berge, J., Van Dongen, S., Janssens, I. A., Ceulemans, R. and Nijs, I. (2007), How do climate warming and species richness affect CO2 fluxes in experimental grasslands?. New Phytologist, 175: 512–522. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2007.02122.x
- Issue published online: 7 JUN 2007
- Article first published online: 7 JUN 2007
- Received: 15 February 2007 Accepted: 12 April 2007
- 2000. Leaf respiration of snow gum in the light and the dark. Interactions between temperature and irradiance. Plant Physiology 122: 915–923. , , , , .
- 2001. Canopy photosynthesis. In: RoyJ, SaugierB, MooneyHA, eds. Terrestrial global productivity. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 9–31. , .
- 1998. Forest ecology, 4th edn. New York: John Wiley & Sons. , , , .
- 2002. Comparing the carbon budgets of boreal and temperate deciduous forest stands. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 32: 813–822. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Positive interactions among alpine plants increase with stress. Nature 417: 844–848. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Effects of species diversity on the primary productivity of ecosystems: extending our spatial and temporal scales of inference. Oikos 104: 437–450. , , .
- 1976. Energy exchange within individual layers of a meadow. Oecologia 23: 141–149. .
- 2005. Europe-wide reduction in primary productivity caused by the heat and drought in 2003. Nature 437: 529–533. , , et al .
- 1998. Soil water content and temperature as independent or confounded factors controlling soil respiration in a temperate mixed hardwood forest. Global Change Biology 10: 161–169. , , .
- 2006. How do climate warming and plant species richness affect water use in experimental grasslands? Plant and Soil 288: 249–261. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Combined effects of climate warming and plant diversity loss on above- and below-ground grassland productivity. Environmental and Experimental Botany 60: 95–104. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Divergent effects of elevated CO2, N fertilization, and plant diversity on soil C and N dynamics in a grassland field experiment. Plant and Soil 272: 41–52. , , , .
- 2004. Root production is determined by radiation flux in a temperate grassland community. Global Change Biology 10: 209–227. , , , .
- 2003. Bayesian Data Analysis, 2nd edn. New York: Chapman & Hall. , , , .
- 2005. Grassland species will not necessarily benefit from future elevated air temperatures: a chlorophyll fluorescence approach to study autumn physiology. Physiologia Plantarum 125: 52–63. , , , , , .
- 2006. The influence of productivity on the species richness of plants: a critical assessment. Ecology 87: 1234–1243. , .
- 2004. Climate change affects carbon allocation to the soil in shrublands. Ecosystems 7: 650–661. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Increased rainfall variability and reduced rainfall amount decreases soil CO2 flux in a grassland ecosystem. Global Change Biology 11: 322–334. , , , , .
- 2005. Effects of biodiversity on ecosystem functioning: a consensus of current knowledge. Ecological Monographs 75: 3–35. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. IPCC 2001. Climate Change 2001: the scientific basis. Contribution of working group I to the second assessment report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Large seasonal changes in Q10 of soil respiration in a beech forest. Global Change Biology 9: 911–918. , .
- 2004. Carbon sequestration in temperate grassland ecosystems and the influence of management, climate and elevated CO2. New Phytologist 164: 423–439. , .
- 2002. Biodiversity as a barrier to ecological invasion. Nature 417: 636–638. , , , , , .
- 2004. Soil respiration under prolonged soil warming: are rate reductions caused by acclimation or substrate loss? Global Change Biology 10: 1870–1877. .
- 2002. Rainfall variability, carbon cycling and plant species diversity in a mesic grassland. Science 268: 2202–2205. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Physiological plant ecology, 4th edn. Berlin: Springer-Verlag. .
- 2006. End-of-season effects of elevated temperature on ecophysiological processes of grassland species at different species richness levels. Environmental and Experimental Botany 56: 245–254. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Neighbourhood scale effects of species diversity on biological invasions and their relationship to community patterns. In: LoreauM, NaeemS, InchaustiP, eds. Biodiversity and ecosystem functioning. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press, pp. 114–124. , , .
- 2003. Ecophysiological responses of two Mediterranean shrubs, Erica multiflora and Globularia alypum, to experimental drier and warmer conditions. Physiologia Plantarum 119: 231–243. , , .
- 2001. Acclimatization of soil respiration to warming in a tall grass prairie. Nature 413: 622–625. , , , .
- 2004. Increased turnover but little change in the carbon balance of high-arctic tundra exposed to whole growing season warming. Arctic, Antarctic and Alpine Research 36: 298–307. , , , , , .
- 2001. Influence of high temperature on end-of-season tundra CO2 exchange. Ecosystems 4: 226–236. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Do biotic interactions shape both sides of the humped-back model of species richness in plant communities? Ecology Letters 9: 767–773. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Importance of canopy structure on photosynthesis in single- and multi-species assemblages of marine macroalgae. Oikos 107: 422–432. , .
- 1997. Increased plant growth in the northern high latitudes from 1981 to 1991. Nature 386: 698–702. , , , , .
- 1997. Biodiversity enhances ecosystem reliability. Nature 390: 507–509. , .
- 1993. Recent change of arctic tundra ecosystems from a net carbon-dioxide sink to a source. Nature 361: 520–523. , , , , ,
- 1997. Dynamics of plant communities. In: CrawleyMJ, ed. Plant ecology. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Scientific, 532–555. .
- 2002. Diversity-dependent production can decrease the stability of ecosystem functioning. Nature 416: 84–86. , .
- 2007. Reduction of ecosystem productivity and respiration during the European summer 2003 climate anomaly: a joint flux tower, remote sensing and modelling analysis. Global Change Biology 13: 634–651. , , et al .
- 2005. Overyielding in experimental grassland communities – irrespective of species pool or spatial scale. Ecology Letters 8: 419–429. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Diversity-productivity relationships: Initial effects, long-term patterns, and underlying mechanisms. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 695–700. ,
- 2000. Global biodiversity scenarios for the year 2100. Science 287: 1770–1774. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. The effect of experimental ecosystem warming on CO2 fluxes in a montane meadow. Global Change Biology 5: 125–141. , , .
- 2002. Plant community composition mediates both large transient decline and predicted long-term recovery of soil carbon under climate warming. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 16: 1055. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Aboveground resource use increases with plant species richness in experimental grassland ecosystems. Functional Ecology 14: 326–337. , , , , .
- 2005. Ecosystem effects of biodiversity manipulations in European grasslands. Ecological Monographs 75: 37–63. , , et al .
- 2000. Plant diversity affects culturable soil bacteria in experimental grassland communities. Journal of Ecology 88: 988–998. , ,
- 2004. Extinction risk from climate change. Nature 427: 145–148. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Biodiversity and ecosystem stability in a decade-long grassland experiment. Nature 441: 629–632. , , .
- 2004. Species richness and susceptibility to heat and drought extremes in synthesized grassland ecosystems: compositional vs. physiological effects. Functional Ecology 18: 769–778. , , ,
- 2007. Effects of climate warming and declining species richness in grassland model ecosystems: acclimation of CO2 fluxes. Biogeosciences 4: 27–36. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Plants in a warmer world. Perspectives in Plant Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 6: 169–185.
- 2004. CO2 exchange in three Canadian High Arctic ecosystems: response to long-term experimental warming. Global Change Biology 10: 1987–95. , , , , .
- 2005. Foliar respiration acclimation to temperature and temperature variable Q10 alter ecosystem carbon balance. Global Change Biology 11: 435–449. , , , .
- 2003. Plant diversity, soil microbial communities, and ecosystem function: are there any links? Ecology 84: 2042–50. , , , ,
- 2003. Additive effects of simulated climate changes, elevated CO2, and nitrogen deposition on grassland diversity. Proceedings of the National Acadamy of Sciences, USA 100: 7650–7654. , , , , .
- 2005. Soil microbial responses to experimental warming and clipping in a tallgrass prairie. Global Change Biology 11: 266–277. , , , , ,