Nitrogen deposition but not ozone affects productivity and community composition of subalpine grassland after 3 yr of treatment
Article first published online: 16 JUL 2007
Volume 175, Issue 3, pages 523–534, August 2007
How to Cite
Bassin, S., Volk, M., Suter, M., Buchmann, N. and Fuhrer, J. (2007), Nitrogen deposition but not ozone affects productivity and community composition of subalpine grassland after 3 yr of treatment. New Phytologist, 175: 523–534. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2007.02140.x
- Issue published online: 16 JUL 2007
- Article first published online: 16 JUL 2007
- Received: 16 February 2007 Accepted: 25 April 2007
- 2003. Empirical critical loads for nitrogen. Swiss Agency for Environment, Forest and. Landscape SAEFL. Berne, Switzerland. , .
- 1999. Interspecific competition in natural plant communities: mechanisms, trade-offs and plant-soil feedbacks. Journal of Experimental Botany 50: 29–37. .
- 2005. Assessing the future global impacts of ozone on vegetation. Plant, Cell & Environment 28: 949–964. .
- 1998. Diversity of an early successional plant community as influenced by ozone. New Phytologist 138: 653–662. , , , , .
- 2004a. Modeling seasonal ozone fluxes to grassland and wheat: model improvement, testing, and application. Atmospheric Environment 38: 2349–2359. , , , , .
- 2004b. Intra-specific variability of ozone sensitivity in Centaurea jacea L., a potential bioindicator for elevated ozone concentrations. Environmental Pollution 131: 1–12. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Factors affecting the ozone sensitivity of temperate European grasslands: an overview. Environmental Pollution 146: 678–691. , , .
- 2004. Optical sensing of turfgrass chlorophyll content and tissue nitrogen. Hortscience 39: 1130–1132. , , , , , .
- 2000. An international cooperative programme indicates the widespread occurrence of ozone injury on crops. Agriculture Ecosystems and Environment 78: 19–30. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Effects of nitrogen enrichment on coastal dune grassland: a mesocosm study. Environmental Pollution 138: 77–85. , , , .
- 1991. Effects of nutrient enrichment in Dutch chalk grassland. Journal of Applied Ecology 28: 28–41. .
- 1998. The effects of air-borne nitrogen pollutants on species diversity in natural and semi-natural European vegetation. Journal of Ecology 86: 717–738. , , .
- 2006. Nitrogen critical loads for alpine vegetation and terrestrial ecosystem response: are we there yet? Ecological Applications 16: 1183–1193. , , , .
- 1998. Positive feedbacks to anthropogenic nitrogen deposition in Rocky Mountain alpine tundra. Ambio 27: 514–517. , .
- 1999. Growth response of grassland species to ozone in relation to soil moisture condition and plant strategy. New Phytologist 142: 283–293. , , , .
- 2002. Model selection and multimodel inference: a practical-theoretic approach. Berlin, Germany: Springer. , .
- CLRTAP. 2004. Manual on methodologies and criteria for modelling and mapping critical loads and levels and air pollution effects, risks and trends. Convention on Long–Range Transboundary Air Pollution. Online. [ http://www.icpmapping.org .]
- 1992. The effects of ambient air on a seminatural grassland community. Agriculture Ecosystems and Environment 38: 91–97. , .
- 2005. Impacts of increased nitrogen supply on Norwegian lichen-rich alpine communities: a 10-year experiment. Journal of Ecology 93: 471–481. , , .
- 1994. Effects of ozone on managed pasture II. Yield, species composition, canopy structure, and forage quality. Environmental Pollution 86: 307–314. , , , , .
- 1995. Relationships between NDVI, canopy structure, and photosynthesis in 3 Californian vegetation types. Ecological Applications 5: 28–41. , , , , , , , .
- 1989. Growth and leaf senescence in spring wheat (Triticum-aestivum) grown at different ozone concentrations in open-top field chambers. Physiologia Plantarum 77: 389–394. , .
- 1996. Comparative ecology. A functional approach to common British species. London, UK: Chapman & Hall. , , .
- 2006. Meta-analysis of the relative sensitivity of semi-natural vegetation species to ozone. Environmental Pollution 146: 754–762. , , , .
- 2005. Inorganic nitrogen storage in alpine snow pack in the Central Alps (Switzerland). Atmospheric Environment 39: 2249–2259. , , .
- 2000. Symbiotic N2 fixation of various legume species along an altitudinal gradient in the Swiss Alps. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 32: 1043–1052. , , , .
- 2006. Predicting community sensitivity to ozone, using Ellenberg indicator values. Environmental Pollution 146: 744–753. , , , , .
- 2003. Alpine plant life. Heidelberg, Germany: Springer. .
- 1996. Reflectance measurements of leaves for detecting visible and non-visible ozone damage to crops. Journal of Plant Physiology 148: 148–154. , , , .
- 2002. The globalization of nitrogen deposition: consequences for terrestrial ecosystems. Ambio 31: 113–119. , , .
- 2006. Identifying ozone-sensitive communities of (semi-) natural vegetation suitable for mapping exceedance of critical levels. Environmental Pollution 146: 736–743. , , , .
- 2000. Plant–plant interactions and soil moisture might be important in determining ozone impacts on grasslands. New Phytologist 147: 327–335. , , , .
- 1995. Ozone exposure-response relationships for mixtures of perennial ryegrass and white clover depend on ozone exposure patterns. Atmospheric Environment 29: 989–995. , , .
- 1998. Effects of low ozone exposure of spring wheat on net CO2 uptake, Rubisco, leaf senescence and grain filling. New Phytologist 138: 451–460. , , .
- 1976. Personal sampler for nitrogen-dioxide. American Industrial Hygiene Association Journal 37: 570–577. , , , .
- 2006. Atmospheric nitrogen deposition in world biodiversity hotspots: the need for a greater global perspective in assessing N deposition impacts. Global Change Biology 12: 470–476. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. A seasonally resolved alpine ice core record of nitrate: comparison with anthropogenic inventories and estimation of preindustrial emissions of NO in Europe. Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmospheres 108: D21, 4681. doi: 10.1029/2003JD003475 , , .
- 2006. Influences of elevated ozone and carbon dioxide in growth responses of lowland hay meadow mesocosms. Environmental Pollution 144: 101–111. , , , , .
- 2002. The impact of ozone stress on herbaceous semi-natural ecosystems: analysis of physiological and biochemical markers related to plant sensitivity to ozone. Phyton-Annales Rei Botanicae 42: 165–169. , , , , .
- 2001. Deposition and critical loads of nitrogen in Switzerland. Water Air and Soil Pollution 130: 1223–1228. , .
- 2005. Ozone and increased nitrogen supply effects on the yield and nutritive quality of Trifolium subterraneum. Atmospheric Environment 39: 5899–5907. , , , , .
- 1999. Carbon gain in a multispecies canopy: The role of specific leaf area and photosynthetic nitrogen-use efficiency in the tragedy of the commons. New Phytologist 143: 201–211. , .
- 2006. Specialized ‘dauciform’ roots of Cyperaceae are structurally distinct, but functionally analogous with ‘cluster’ roots. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 1989–1999. , , , , .
- 2000. Regional estimation of pollutant gas dry deposition in the UK: model description, sensitivity analyses and outputs. Atmospheric Environment 34: 3757–3777. , , , , .
- 2005. Experimental investigation of fertilization and irrigation effects on an alpine heath, northwestern Caucasus, Russia. Arctic Antarctic and Alpine Research 37: 602–610. , .
- 1994. Trends in surface ozone concentrations at Arosa (Switzerland). Atmospheric Environment 28: 75–87. , , , , .
- 1991. Accurate determination of vegetational change in meadows by successive point quadrant analysis. Vegetatio 96: 185–194. .
- 2004. Impact of nitrogen deposition on the species richness of grasslands. Science 303: 1876–1879. , , , .
- 1997. Nutrient availability, plant abundance, and species diversity in two alpine tundra communities. Ecology 78: 1861–1872. , .
- 2006. The effects of tropospheric ozone on the species dynamics of calcareous grassland. Environmental Pollution 144: 500–509. , , , .
- 1979. Red and photographic infrared linear combinations for monitoring vegetation. Remote Sensing of Environment 8: 127–150. .
- 1997. Human alteration of the global nitrogen cycle: sources and consequences. Ecological Applications 7: 737–750. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Grassland yield declined by a quarter in 5 years of free-air ozone fumigation. Global Change Biology 12: 74–83. , , , , .
- 2003. Design and performance of a free-air exposure system to study long-term effects of ozone on grasslands. Atmospheric Environment 37: 1341–1350. , , , , .
- 1988. Evaluation of the Montsouris series of ozone measurements made in the 19th-century. Nature 332: 240–242. , .
- 1998. The effects of nutrient limitation on the response of Plantago major to ozone. New Phytologist 140: 219–230. , , .
- 1996. Antioxidant composition of selected high alpine plant species from different altitudes. Plant, Cell & Environment 19: 138–146. , .