Decline of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi in northern hardwood forests exposed to chronic nitrogen additions
Version of Record online: 10 JUL 2007
Volume 176, Issue 1, pages 175–183, October 2007
How to Cite
Van Diepen, L. T. A., Lilleskov, E. A., Pregitzer, K. S. and Miller, R. M. (2007), Decline of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi in northern hardwood forests exposed to chronic nitrogen additions. New Phytologist, 176: 175–183. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2007.02150.x
- Issue online: 13 AUG 2007
- Version of Record online: 10 JUL 2007
- Received: 14 February 2007 Accepted: 7 May 2007
- 2004. Using fatty acids to quantify arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi. In: PodilaG, VarmaA, eds. Basic research and applications of mycorrhizae. New Delhi, India: IK International Pvt. Ltd, 141–161. , .
- 1996. Congruence of fatty acid methyl ester profiles and morphological characters of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi in Gigasporaceae. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 93: 5659–5662. , .
- 1959. A rapid method of total lipid extraction and purification. Canadian Journal of Biochemistry and Physiology 37: 911–917. , .
- 2004. Simulated chronic deposition reduces soil respiration in northern hardwood forests. Global Change Biology 10: 1080–1091. , , , , .
- 1991. Leaf area and foliar biomass relationships in northern hardwood forests located along an 800 km acid deposition gradient. Forest Science 37: 1041–1059. , , .
- 2002. Nitrogen fertilization alters the functioning of arbuscular mycorrhizas at two semiarid grasslands. Plant and Soil 240: 299–310. , , , .
- 2002. Whole ecosystem nitrogen manipulation: An updated review. JNCC report 331. ISSN 0963 8091. , , , , , .
- 1995. Nitrogen leaching in European forests in relation to nitrogen deposition. Forest Ecology and Management 71: 153–162. , .
- 1991. Microbial biomass measured as total lipid phosphate in soils of different organic content. Journal of Microbiological Methods 14: 151–163. , , .
- 1994. Year 2020: consequences of population growth and development on deposition of oxidized nitrogen. AMBIO 23: 120–123. , , .
- 2005. Nitrogen transfer in the arbuscular mycorrhizal symbiosis. Nature 435: 819–823. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Effects of excess nitrogen deposition and soil acidification on sugar maple (Acer saccharum) in Ontario, Canada: an experimental study. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 28: 299–310. , , , .
- 1993. Can fertilization of soil select less mutualistic mycorrhizae? Ecological Applications 3: 749–757. .
- 1989. A modified procedure for staining roots to detect VA mycorrhizas. Mycological Research 92: 486–505. , .
- 2003. Comparing arbuscular and ectomycorrhizal fungal communities in seven North American forests and their response to nitrogen fertilization. PhD thesis. Davis, CA, USA: University of California. .
- 1990. A new method which gives an objective measure of colonization of roots by vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi. New Phytologist 115: 495–501. , , , , .
- 2001. Two new families of Glomales, Archaeosporaceae and Paraglomaceae, with two new genera Archaeospora and Paraglomus, based on concordant molecular and morphological characters. Mycologia 93: 181–195. , .
- NADP. 2006. National atmospheric deposition program (NRSP-3). Champaign, IL, USA: NADP Program Office, Illinois State Water Survey.
- 1999. Signature fatty acids provide tools for determination of the distribution and interactions of mycorrhizal fungi in soil. FEMS Microbiology Ecology 29: 303–310. .
- 1997. Phosphorus effects on the mycelium and storage structures of an arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus as studied in the soil and roots by analysis of fatty acid signatures. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 63: 3531–3538. , , .
- 2000. Lipid and fatty acid composition of hyphae and spores of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi at different growth stages. Mycological Research 104: 429–434. , .
- 2002. Fine root architecture of nine North American trees. Ecological Monographs 72: 293–309. , , , , , .
- 2004. Chronic nitrate additions dramatically increase the export of carbon and nitrogen from northern hardwood ecosystems. Biogeochemistry 68: 179–197. , , , , .
- 1994. Productivity and growth efficiency in sugar maple forests. Forest Ecology and Management 70: 319–327. , , , , .
- 1997. Mycorrhizal symbiosis. New York, NY, USA: Academic Press. , .
- 2004. A meta-analysis of mycorrhizal responses to nitrogen, phosphorus, and atmospheric CO2 in field studies. New Phytologist 164: 347–355. .
- 2003. Fungal lipid accumulation and development of mycelial structures by two arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 69: 6762–6767. , .
- 1997. Human alteration of the global nitrogen cycle: sources and consequences. Ecological Applications 7: 737–750. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. A new hypothesis to explain allocation of dry matter between mycorrhizal fungi and pine seedlings in relation to nutrient supply. Plant and Soil 168–169: 243–248. .
- 1998. Nitrogen deposition and ectomycorrhizas. New Phytologist 139: 169–187. , .
- 2006. Microbial cycling of C and N in northern hardwood forests receiving chronic atmospheric deposition. Ecosystems 9: 242–253. , , , , .