Predicting the impact of changing CO2 on crop yields: some thoughts on food
Version of Record online: 6 AUG 2007
Volume 175, Issue 4, pages 607–618, September 2007
How to Cite
Ziska, L. H. and Bunce, J. A. (2007), Predicting the impact of changing CO2 on crop yields: some thoughts on food. New Phytologist, 175: 607–618. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2007.02180.x
- Issue online: 6 AUG 2007
- Version of Record online: 6 AUG 2007
- Received: 10 April 2007 Accepted: 28 May 2007
- 2002. A meta-analysis of elevated [CO2] effects on soybean (Glycine max) physiology, growth and yield. Global Change Biology 8: 695–709. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. The influence of increasing carbon dioxide and temperature on competitive interactions between a C3 crop, rice (Oryza sativa) and a C4 weed (Echinochloa glabrescens). Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 23: 795–802. , , , .
- 1979. Potentials for carbon dioxide enrichment. In: BarfieldBJ, GerberJF, eds. Modification of the aerial environment of crops. St. Joseph, MI USA: American Society of Agricultural Engineers, 500–519. .
- 1985. Modeling the feasibility of free-air carbon dioxide release for vegetation response research. In: 17th Conference on Agriculture and Forest Meteorology and Seventh Conference on Biometeorology and Aerobiology, May 21–24 1985, Scottsdale, AZ. Boston MA, USA: American Meteorology Society, 161–164. , , .
- 1991. Soybean dry-matter allocation under subambient and superambient levels of carbon-dioxide. Agronomy Journal 83: 875–883. , , , .
- 1995. Terrestrial higher-plant response to increasing atmospheric [CO2] in relation to the global carbon cycle. Global Change Biology 1: 243–274. .
- 2001. Effects of atmospheric CO2 concentration on wheat yield: review of results from experiments using various approaches to control CO2 concentration. Field Crops Research 73: 1–34. .
- 1996. Biota growth factor β: stimulation of terrestrial ecosystem net primary production by elevated atmospheric CO2. In: GWKoch, HAMooney, eds. Carbon dioxide and terrestrial ecosystems. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 399–414. , .
- 1993. Contrasting crop species responses to CO2 and temperature: rice, soybean and citrus. Vegetatio 104/105 : 239–260. , .
- 1989. Response of soybean to air temperature and carbon dioxide concentration. Crop Science 29: 98–105. , , , , .
- 1996. Assessment of rice responses to global climate change: CO2 and temperature. In: KochGW, MooneyHA, eds. Carbon dioxide and terrestrial ecosystems. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 265–282. , , , .
- 1998. Yield and partitioning in crops of contrasting cultivars of winter wheat in response to CO2 and temperature in field studies using temperature gradient tunnels. Journal of Agricultural Science 130: 17–27. , , , , , .
- 2005. The role of ozone flux and antioxidants in the suppression of ozone injury by elevated CO2 in soybean. Journal of Experimental Botany 56: 2139–2151. , .
- 2005. Comparative responses of container- versus ground-grown soybean to elevated carbon dioxide and ozone. Crop Science 45: 883–895. , , , , .
- 2005. Elevated temperature and CO2 impact pollination, reproductive growth and yield of several globally important crops. Journal of Agricultural Meteorology of Japan 60: 469–474. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Photosynthetic responses to changing atmospheric carbon dioxide concentration. In: BakerNR, ed. Photosynthesis and the environment. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Publishing, 387–407. .
- 2005. Seed yield of soybeans with daytime or continuous elevation of carbon dioxide under field conditions. Photosynthetica 43: 435–438. .
- 1998. The implications of predicted climate change for insect pests in the UK, with emphasis on non-indigenous species. Global Change Biology 4: 785–796. .
- 2001. CO2 and climate change. Science 292: 870–872. , .
- 1986. Crop responses to carbon dioxide doubling: a literature survey. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 38: 127–145. , .
- 1988a. Nitrogen stress effects on growth and seed yield of non-nodulated soybean exposed to elevated carbon dioxide. Crop Science 28: 671–677. , , .
- 1988b. Phosphorus stress effects on growth and seed yield responses of non-nudulated soybean to elevated carbon dioxide. Agronomy Journal 80: 897–902. , , .
- 2003. Response of growth and yield of rice (Oryza sativa) to elevated atmospheric carbon dioxide in the subhumid zone of Sri Lanka. Journal of Agronomy and Crop Science 189: 83–95. , , , .
- 2001. Influence of elevated CO2 on the sensitivity of two soybean cultivars to sulphur dioxide. Environmental and Experimental Botany 46: 81–91. , .
- 2004. Intergenerational above- and belowground responses of spring wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) to elevated CO2. Basic and Applied Ecology 5: 145–152. , , , .
- 2005. A note on the effect of elevated concentrations of greenhouse gases on spring wheat yield in Ireland. Irish Journal of Agricultural and Food Research 44: 141–145. , , , .
- 1989. An open-top chamber for field studies of elevated atmospheric CO2 concentration on saltmarsh vegetation. Functional Ecology 3: 363–371. , , , , .
- Environmental Protection Agency. 2004. The ozone report: measuring progress through 2003. EPA/KJ-04-001. Research Triangle Park, NC, USA: Office of Air Quality Planning and Standards, Emissions, Monitoring and Analysis Division.
- 1999. Seed yield after environmental stress in soybean grown under elevated CO2. Crop Science 39: 710–718. , , , .
- 1998. Long-term trends in ground level ozone over the contiguous United States, 1980–1995. Journal of Geophysical Research 107: 4275–4285. , , , .
- 2000. Crop ecosystem responses to climatic change: Pests and population dynamics. In: ReddyKR, HodgesHF, eds. Climate change and global crop productivity. New York, NY, USA: CABI Publishing, 353–370. .
- 1999. Influence of daily CO2 exposure duration and root environment on soybean responses to elevated CO2. Journal of Environmental Quality 28: 666–675. , , , , .
- 1998. Influence of ozone stress on soybean response to carbon dioxide enrichment. III. Yield and seed quality. Crop Science 38: 128–134. , , .
- 2006. Soybean (Glycine max. (L.L. Merr.)) growth and development response to CO2 enrichment under different temperature regimes. European Journal of Agronomy 24: 52–61. , , , , .
- 1994. The FACE Program. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 70: 3–14. .
- 1992a. Distribution of carbon dioxide within and above a cotton canopy growing in the FACE system. Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences 11: 187–194. , , , , , , .
- 1992b. A comparison of the uniformity of an elevated CO2 environment in three different types of open-top chambers. Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences 11: 195–202. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Photosynthetic CO2 uptake in seedlings of two tropical tree species exposed to oscillating elevated concentrations of CO2. Planta 218: 152–158. , .
- 1991. Effects of elevated CO2 and high temperature on growth and yield of rice. I. Development of temperature gradient tunnels. Japanese Journal of Crop Science 60: 127–128 (in Japanese with English abstract). , , , , , .
- HoughtonJT, DingY, GriggsDJ, NoguerM, Van der LindenPJ, XiaosuD, eds 2001. Climate change 2001: the scientific basis. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- 1985. Increase in atmospheric partial pressure of carbon dioxide and growth and yield of rice (Oryza sativa L.). Japanese Journal of Crop Science 54: 413–418. , , .
- 1976. Atmospheric carbon dioxide variations at Mauna Loa observatory, Hawaii. Tellus 28: 538–551. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Effects of elevated CO2 concentration and high temperature on growth and yield of rice. Japanese Journal of Crop Science 65: 644–651 (in Japanese with abstract in English). , , , .
- 2003. Seasonal changes in the effects of elevated CO2 on rice at three levels of nitrogen supply: a free air CO2 enrichment (FACE) experiment. Global Change Biology 9: 826–837. , , , , .
- 1983. Carbon dioxide and agricultural yield: An assemblage and analysis of 430 prior observations. Agronomy Journal 75: 779–788. .
- 2002. Responses of agricultural crops to free-air CO2 enrichment. Advances in Agronomy 77: 293–368. , , .
- 1997. Comparisons of responses of vegetation to elevated carbon dioxide in free-air and open-top chamber facilities. In: AllenLHJr, KirkhamMB, OlszykDM, WhitmanCE, eds. Advances in carbon dioxide research. Madison, WI, USA: American Society of Agronomy, Crop Science Society of America, and Soil Science Society of America, 113–130. , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Increasing the yield plateau in rice and the role of global climate change. Journal of Agricultural Meteorology 48: 795–798. , , , .
- 1991. Modification of the response of photosynthetic productivity to rising temperature by atmospheric CO2 concentrations: Has its importance been underestimated? Plant, Cell & Environment 14: 729–739. .
- 2005. Global food insecurity. Treatment of major food crops with elevated carbon dioxide or ozone under large-scale fully open-air conditions suggests recent models may have overestimated yields. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society (Biology) 360: 2011–2020. , , , .
- 2006. Food for thought: lower-than-expected crop yield stimulation with rising CO2 concentrations. Science 312: 1918–1921. , , , , .
- 2003. Effect of CO2 enrichment on growth and daily radiation use efficiency of wheat in relation to temperature and growth stage. European Journal of Agronomy 19: 411–425. , , , .
- 1997. Photosynthetic and growth responses of old and modern spring wheat cultivars to atmospheric CO2 enrichment. Agriculture, Ecosystems and the Environment 64: 65–71. , .
- 1994. Evidence of a long-term increase in tropospheric ozone from Pic du Midi data series: consequences, positive radiative forcing. Journal of Geophysical Research 99: 16617–16632. , , , , .
- 1997. Effects of high temperature and CO2 concentration on spikelet sterility in Indica rice. Field Crops Research 51: 213–221. , , , .
- 1993. Growth and onto-morphogenesis of soybean (Glycine max Merril) in an open, naturally CO2-enriched environment. Plant, Cell & Environment 16: 909–918. , , , .
- 2005. Smaller than predicted increase in aboveground net primary production and yield of field-grown soybean under fully open-air [CO2] elevation. Global Change Biology 11: 1856–1865. , , , , .
- 1982. Growth responses of some greenhouse plants to environment. III. Design and function of a growth chamber prototype. Scientia Horticulturae 16: 57–63. .
- 1998. Growth dynamics and genotypic variation in tropical, field-grown paddy rice (Oryza sativa L.) in response to increasing carbon dioxide and temperature. Global Change Biology 4: 645–656. , , , .
- 2000. Rice responses to elevated CO2 and temperature. Global Environmental Research 2: 101–113. , .
- 2004. Effects of carbon dioxide enrichment during different growth periods on flowering, pod set and seed yield in soybean. Plant Production Science 7: 11–15. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Plant breeding for a changing environment. In: NewtonPCD, CarranRA, EdwardsGR, NiklausPA, eds. Agroecosystems in a changing climate. Boca Raton, FL, USA: CRC Press, 309–322. , .
- 2001. Free-air CO2 enrichment (FACE) using pure CO2 injection: system description. New Phytologist 150: 251–260. , , , , .
- 2000. Atmospheric carbon dioxide concentrations over the past 60 million years. Nature 406: 695–699. , .
- 2004. Rice yields decline with higher night temperature from global warming. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 101: 9971–9975. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Implications of atmospheric and climatic change for crop yield and water use efficiency. Crop Science 42: 131–140. .
- 2005. Elevated atmospheric CO2 effects on biomass production and soil carbon in conventional and conservation cropping systems. Global Change Biology 11: 657–665. , , , , .
- 2001. Yield response of durum (Triticum durum) and bread wheat (T. aestivum) varieties to carbon dioxide enrichment. Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences 71: 444–449. , , , .
- 1986. Soybean growth and yield response to elevated carbon dioxide. Agriculture Ecosystems and Environment 16: 113–128. , , .
- 1983. A field technique for the study of plant responses to elevated carbon dioxide concentrations. Air Pollution Control Association 33: 42–44. , , .
- 2004. Rice yield enhancement by elevated CO2 negatively correlates with hastened occurrence of heading – results from five years of chamber studies. In: FischerT, ed. New Directions for a Diverse Planet: Proceedings for the 4th International Crop Science Congress, Brisbane, Australia, 26 September – 1 October 2004. http://www.cropscience.org.au , , , .
- 2001. Growth and yield response of spring wheat (Triticum aestivum L. cv. Minaret) to elevated CO2 and water limitation. Environmental Pollution 114: 187–194. , .
- 1987. Interaction of temperature and CO2 enrichment on soybean: photosynthesis and seed yield. Journal of Plant Science 67: 629–636. , , .
- 1990. Interaction of elevated ultraviolet-B radiation and CO2 on productivity and photosynthetic characteristics in wheat, rice and soybean. Plant Physiology 94: 470–475. , , .
- 2004. Elevated atmospheric CO2 effects on N fertilization in grain sorghum and soybean. Field Crops Research 88: 57–67. , , , .
- 2007. Crop response to elevated CO2 and world food supply: a comment on ‘Food for thought ...’ by Long et al., Science, 312: 1918–21, 2006. European Journal of Agronomy 26: 215–223. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Effects of nutrient supply (NPK) on spring wheat response to elevated atmospheric CO2. Plant and Soil 185: 113–123. .
- 2006. Seasonal changes in the effects of free-air CO2 enrichment (FACE) on dry matter production and distribution of rice (Oryza sativa L.). Field Crops Research 98: 12–19. , , , , , , .
- 2000. The impact of elevated carbon dioxide on yield loss from a C3 and C4 weed in field grown soybean. Global Change Biology 6: 899–905. .
- 2003. Evaluation of yield loss in field sorghum from a C3 and C4 weed with increasing CO2. Weed Science 51: 914–918. .
- 2000. Sensitivity of field-grown soybean to future atmospheric CO2: selection for improved productivity in the 21st century. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 27: 979–984. , .
- 2006. Plant responses to rising atmospheric carbon dioxide. In: MorisonJIL, MorecroftMD, eds. Plant growth and climate change. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Publishing, 17–47. , .
- 1998. Intraspecific variation in seed yield of soybean (Glycine max) in response to increased atmospheric carbon dioxide. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 25: 801–808. , , .
- 2001. Rising atmospheric carbon dioxide and seed yield of soybean genotypes. Crop Science 41: 385–391. , , .
- 2003. Cities as harbingers of climate change: Common ragweed, urbanization, and public health. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology 111: 290–295. , , , , , .
- 2006. Elevated atmospheric carbon dioxide and weed populations in glyphosate treated soybean. Crop Science 46: 1354–1359. , .
- 1996. Intraspecific variation in the response of rice (Oryza sativa L.) to increased CO2 and temperature: growth and yield response of 17 cultivars. Journal of Experimental Botany 47: 1353–1359. , , .
- 2004. Quantitative and qualitative evaluation of selected wheat varieties released since 1903 to increasing atmospheric carbon dioxide: can yield sensitivity to carbon dioxide be a factor in wheat performance? Global Change Biology 10: 1810–1819. , , .
- 1992. CO2 enhancement of growth and photosynthesis in rice (Oryza sativa). Plant Physiology 99: 473–481. , .