Microarray analysis of transcriptional responses to abscisic acid and osmotic, salt, and drought stress in the moss, Physcomitrella patens
Version of Record online: 13 AUG 2007
© The Authors (2007). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2007)
Volume 176, Issue 2, pages 275–287, October 2007
How to Cite
Cuming, A. C., Cho, S. H., Kamisugi, Y., Graham, H. and Quatrano, R. S. (2007), Microarray analysis of transcriptional responses to abscisic acid and osmotic, salt, and drought stress in the moss, Physcomitrella patens. New Phytologist, 176: 275–287. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2007.02187.x
- Issue online: 13 AUG 2007
- Version of Record online: 13 AUG 2007
- Received: 31 May 2007Accepted: 2 June 2007
- 2003. Arabidopsis AtMYC2 (bHLH) and AtMYB2 (MYB) function as transcriptional activators in abscisic acid signaling. Plant Cell 15: 63–78. , , , , , .
- 1997. Role of Arabidopsis MYC and MYB homologs in drought- and abscisic acid-regulated gene expression. Plant Cell 9: 1859–1868. , , , , , .
- 1990. Basic Local Alignment Search Tool. Journal of Molecular Biology 215: 403–410. , , , , .
- 2003. Spotted long oligonucleotide arrays for human gene expression analysis. Genome Research 13: 1775–1785. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Desiccation tolerance studied in the resurrection plant Craterostigma plantagineum. Integrative and Comparative Biology 45: 696–701. .
- 1990. Molecular cloning of abscisic acid-modulated genes which are induced during desiccation of the resurrection plant Craterostigma plantagineum. Planta 181: 27–34. , , , , .
- 1988. Onset of desiccation tolerance during development of the barley embryo. Planta 175: 485–492. , , .
- 1991. Novel carbohydrate metabolism in the resurrection plant Craterostigma plantagineum. Plant Journal 1: 35–39. , , , , .
- 1993. Abscisic-acid and desiccation tolerance in mosses. Botanica Acta 106: 103–106. , .
- 2001. Anhydrobiosis – Plant desiccation gene found in a nematode. Nature 416: 38. , , .
- 2002. The stress-responsive Tortula ruralis gene ALDH21A1 describes a novel eukaryotic aldehyde dehydrogenase protein family. Journal of Plant Physiology 159: 677–684. , , .
- 1999. LEA proteins. In: ShewryPR, CaseyR, eds. Seed proteins. Dordrech, the Netherlands: Kluwer, 753–780. .
- 1974. The pattern of recovery of bryophytes after desiccation. Journal of Bryology 82: 115–125. , .
- 2003. OsDREB genes in rice, Oryza sativa L., encode transcription activators that function in drought-, high-salt- and cold-responsive gene expression. Plant Journal 33: 751–763. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Transactivation of the Brassica napus napin promoter by ABI3 requires interaction of the conserved B2 and B3 domains of ABI3 with different cis-elements: B2 mediates activation through an ABRE, whereas B3 interacts with an Ry/G-box. Plant Journal 24: 57–66. , , , , .
- 2005. Physcomitrella patens is highly tolerant against drought, salt and osmotic stress. Planta 220: 384–394. , , .
- 2003. Transition from natively unfolded to folded state induced by desiccation in an anhydrobiotic nematode protein. Journal of Biological Chemistry 278: 12977–12984. , , , , , , .
- 2005. LEA proteins prevent protein aggregation due to water stress. Biochemical Journal 388: 151–157. , , .
- 2001. Mechanisms of plant desiccation tolerance. Trends in Plant Science 6: 431–440. , , .
- 1995. Isolation and characterization of hardening-induced proteins in Chlorella vulgaris C-27: Identification of late embryogenesis abundant proteins. Plant and Cell Physiology 36: 1421–1430. , , , , , .
- 1996. The molecular basis of dehydration tolerance in plants. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Molecular Biology 47: 377–403. , .
- 1995. Expression of the betaine aldehyde dehydrogenase gene in barley in response to osmotic stress and abscisic acid. Plant Molecular Biology 27: 307–315. , , , .
- 2005. The evolution of the Abscisic acid-response in land plants: comparative analysis of Group 1 LEA gene expression in moss and cereals. Plant Molecular Biology 59: 723–737. , .
- 1997. The origin and early evolution of plants on land. Nature 389: 33–39. , .
- 2004. The ALDH gene superfamily of Arabidopsis. Trends in Plant Science 9: 371–377. , , , , .
- 2002. Moss gene technology. In: GilmartinPM, BowlerC, eds. Molecular plant biology, Vol. 2. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press, 285–299. , , , .
- 1995. Molecular responses to abscisic acid and stress are conserved between moss and cereals. Plant Cell 7: 499–506. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Water in dry organisms. In: SomeroG, OsmondCB, WilliamsRJ, eds. Water and life. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag, 161–169. , , .
- 2002. PlantCARE, a database of plant cis-acting regulatory elements and a portal to tools for in silico analysis of promoter sequences. Nucleic Acids Research 30: 325–327. , , , , , .
- 1999. Sequence analysis of expressed sequence tags from an ABA-treated cDNA library identifies stress response genes in the moss Physcomitrella patens. Plant and Cell Physiology 40: 378–387. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Characterization and functional analysis of ABSCISIC ACID INSENSITIVE3-like genes from Physcomitrella patens. Plant Journal 46: 1032–1044. , , .
- 1996. Drought and salt tolerance: towards understanding and application. Trends in Biotechnology 8: 358–362. , .
- 2003. Abscisic acid-induced freezing tolerance in the moss Physcomitrella patens is accompanied by increased expression of stress-related genes. Journal of Plant Physiology 160: 475–483. , , , , .
- 2002. Arabidopsis OST1 protein kinase mediates the regulation of stomatal aperture by abscisic acid and acts upstream of reactive oxygen species production. Plant Cell 14: 3089–3099. , , , , .
- 2005. Rapid degradation of starch in chloroplasts and concomitant accumulation of soluble sugars associated with ABA-induced freezing tolerance in the moss Physcomitrella patens. Journal of Plant Physiology 162: 169–180. , , , , .
- 2001. Physical interactions between ABA response loci of Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 26: 627–635. , ,
- 2003. Comparative genomics of Physcomitrella patens gametophytic transcriptome and Arabidopsis thaliana: Implication for land plant evolution. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 100: 8007–8012. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Freezing and desiccation tolerance in the moss Physcomitrella patens: an in situ Fourier transform infrared spectroscopic study. Biochimica Biophysica Acta 1760: 1226–1234. , , , , .
- 1991. Influence of protoplasmic water loss on the control of protein synthesis in the desiccation tolerant moss Tortula ruralis: ramifications for a repair-based mechanism of desiccation tolerance. Plant Physiology 97: 1501–1511. .
- 2004. The rehydration transcriptome of the desiccation-tolerant bryophyte Tortula ruralis: transcript classification and analysis. BMC Genomics 5: 89. , , , , .
- 2000. Evolution of desiccation tolerance in land plants. Plant Ecology 151: 85–100. , , .
- 2005. Desiccation tolerance in bryophytes: a reflection of the primitive strategy for plant survival in dehydrating habitats. Integrative and Comparative Biology 45: 788–799. , , .
- 1993. Acquisition of desiccation tolerance and longevity of Arabidopsis thaliana– a comparative study using absicisc acid-insensitive ABI3 mutants. Plant Physiology 102: 1185–1191. , , , , .
- 2003. Monitoring expression profiles of Arabidopsis gene expression during rehydration process after dehydration using ca. 7000 full-length cDNA microarray. Plant Journal 34: 868–887. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Brachycytes in Funaria protonemata: Induction by abscisic acid and fine structure. Journal of Plant Physiology 152: 166–175. , .
- 2002. Monitoring the expression profiles of 7000 Arabidopsis genes under drought, cold and high-salinity stresses using a full-length cDNA microarray. Plant Journal 31: 279–292. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Functional dissection of an abscisic acid (ABA)-inducible gene reveals two independent ABA-responsive complexes each containing a G-box and a novel cis-acting element. Plant Cell 7: 295–307. , .
- 1997. Gene expression and signal transduction in water-stress response. Plant Physiology 115: 327–334. , .
- 2003. Regulatory network of gene expression in the drought and cold-stress response. Current Opinions in Plant Biology 6: 410–417. , , .
- 2005. Identification of further Craterostigma plantagineum cdt mutants affected in abscisic acid mediated desiccation tolerance. Molecular Genetics and Genomics 274: 364–372. , , , .
- 2004. Calmodulin-binding proteins in bryophytes: identification of abscisic acid- cold- and osmotic stress-induced genes encoding novel membrane-bound transporter-like proteins. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 317: 428–436. , .
- 2005. A putative LEA protein, but no trehalose, is present in anhydrobiotic bdelloid rotifers. Hydrobiologia 546: 315–321. , , .
- 2004. POPP the question: what do LEA proteins do? Trends in Plant Science 9: 13–17. , .
- 2001. Assessing gene significance from cDNA microarray expression data via mixed models. Journal of Computational Biology 8: 625–637. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Correlation between the induction of a gene for Δ1-pyrroline-5-carboxylase synthetase and the accumulation of proline in Arabidopsis thaliana under osmotic stress. Plant Journal 7: 751–760. , , , , , , , .
- 1967. Humidity control in the laboratory using salt solutions – a review. Journal of Applied Chemistry 17: 241–245. .
- 2002. Accuracy and calibration of commercial oligonucleotide and custom cDNA microarrays. Nucleic Acids Research 30: e48. , , , , .
- 2005. Cis-regulatory element based targeted gene finding: genome-wide identification of abscisic acid- and abiotic stress-responsive genes in Arabidopsis thaliana. Bioinformatics 21: 3074–3081. , , , , .