Leaf trait relationships of native and invasive plants: community- and global-scale comparisons
Version of Record online: 23 AUG 2007
Volume 176, Issue 3, pages 635–643, November 2007
How to Cite
Leishman, M. R., Haslehurst, T., Ares, A. and Baruch, Z. (2007), Leaf trait relationships of native and invasive plants: community- and global-scale comparisons. New Phytologist, 176: 635–643. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2007.02189.x
- Issue online: 23 AUG 2007
- Version of Record online: 23 AUG 2007
- Received: 17 April 2007 Accepted: 15 June 2007
- 1999. Leaf construction cost, nutrient concentration, and net CO2 assimilation of native and invasive species in Hawaii. Oecologia 121: 183–192. , .
- 1990. Taken for granted: the bushland of Sydney and its suburbs. Kenthurst, Australia: Kangaroo Press. , .
- 2001. Environmental weeds. A field guide for SE Australia. Mt Waverley, Australia: C. H. Jerram Science Publishers. .
- 2006. Interactions between resource availability and enemy release in plant invasion. Ecology Letters 9: 887–895. .
- 2006. Relatedness and environment affect traits associated with invasive and non-invasive introduced Commelinaceae. Ecological Applications 16: 1367–1376. .
- 1983. Suburban development and resultant changes in the vegetation of the bushland of the northern Sydney region. Australian Journal of Ecology 8: 307–319. .
- 1999. Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater, 20th edn. Washington, DC, USA: American Public Health Association. , , .
- 1988. Effects of plant growth rate and leaf lifetime on the amount and type of anti-herbivore defense. Oecologia 74: 531–536. .
- 2003. Covariation in leaf and root traits for native and non-native grasses along an altitudinal gradient in New Zealand. Oecologia 134: 471–478. , .
- 1995. Plant invaders. The threat to natural ecosystems. London, UK: Chapman & Hall. , .
- 2001. Growth, leaf characteristics, and spore production in native and invasive tree ferns in Hawaii. American Fern Journal 91: 25–35. , .
- 1999. Deliberate introductions of species: Research needs – Benefits can be reaped, but risks are high. Bioscience 49: 619–630. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2006. User's guide to SMATR: standardized major axis tests and routines, version 2.0. http://www.bio.mq.edu.au/ecology/SMATR/SMATR_users_guide.pdf , , .
- 1986. The photosynthesis-nitrogen relationship in plants. In: GivnishTJ, ed. On the economy of plant form and function. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 25–55. , .
- 2007. Resource-use efficiency and plant invasion in low-resource systems. Nature 446: 1079–1081. , .
- 2002. Toward a causal explanation of plant invasiveness: Seedling growth and life-history strategies of 29 pine (Pinus) species. American Naturalist 159: 396–419. , , .
- 2003. Relationship between maximum leaf photosynthesis, nitrogen content and specific leaf area in Balearic endemic and non-endemic Mediterranean species. Annals of Botany (London) 92: 215–222. , , , , , .
- 1977. Instrumental organic analysis. New York, NY, USA: Academic Press. .
- 1996. The vegetation N:P ratio: a new tool to detect the nature of nutrient limitation. Journal of Applied Ecology 33: 1441–1450. , .
- 2004. Invasion success of exotic plants in natural ecosystems: the role of disturbance, plant attributes and freedom from herbivores. Biological Conservation 117: 215–226. , .
- 1990. Suburban development and resultant changes in the phosphorus status of soils in the area of Ku-ring-gai, Sydney. Proceedings of the Linnean Society, NSW 112: 15–25. .
- 2004. The effect of stormwater outlets on phosphorus in urban bushland soils: spatial and temporal changes and the relationship with invasive plants. Australian Journal of Soil Research 42: 197–202. , , .
- 2005. Experimental evidence for the effects of added water, nutrients and physical disturbance on invasive plants in low fertility Hawkesbury Sandstone soils, Sydney, Australia. Journal of Ecology 93: 38–49. , .
- 1993. Biological Invasions: lessons for ecology. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 8: 133–137. .
- 1997. Global change through invasion. Nature 388: 627–628. .
- Millenium Ecosystem Assessment. 2005. Ecosystems and human well-being: biodiversity synthesis. Washington, DC, USA: World Resources Institute.
- 2005. Invasive alien species: the nature of the problem. In: MooneyHA, MackRN, McNeeleyJA, NevilleLE, ScheiPJ, WaageJK, eds. Invasive alien species: a new synthesis. Washington, DC, USA: Island Press, 1–15. .
- 2001. Bush invaders of south-east Australia. Meredith, Australia: R. G. & F. J. Richardson. .
- 1998. Growth, biomass allocation and photosynthesis of invasive and native Hawaiian rainforest species. Oecologia 117: 449–459. , , .
- 1999. Generality of leaf trait relationships: a test across six biomes. Ecology 80: 1955–1969. , , , , , , .
- 1997. From tropics to tundra: global convergence in plant functioning. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 94: 13730–13734. , , .
- 1998. Relationships of leaf dark respiration to leaf nitrogen, specific leaf area and leaf life-span: a test across biomes and functional groups. Oecologia 114: 471–482. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Ecology of invasive plants: state of the art. In: MooneyHA, MackRN, McNeelyJA, NevilleLE, ScheiPJ, WaageJK, eds. Invasive alien species: a new synthesis. Washington, DC, USA: Island Press, 104–161. , , , , .
- 2001. Physiological and morphological traits of exotic, invasive exotic, and native plant species in tallgrass prairie. International Journal of Plant Sciences 162: 785–792. , .
- 2004. Survival of native plants of Hawkesbury Sandstone communities with additional nutrients: effect of plant age and habitat. Australian Journal of Botany 52: 141–147. , .
- 1997. Introduced species: a significant component of human-caused global change. New Zealand Journal of Botany 21: 1–16. , , , , .
- 1960. A soil survey of the county of Cumberland, Sydney region, NSW. Sydney, Australia: NSW Department of Agriculture. .
- 2006. Bivariate line-fitting methods for allometry. Biological Reviews 81: 259–291. , , , .
- 2002. Plant ecological strategies: some leading dimensions of variation between species. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 33: 125–159. , , , , .
- 1983. Plant nutrients in Australian soils. In: Division of Soils, Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization, Australia. Soils: an Australian viewpoint. Melbourne, Australia: Academic Press, 777–793. , .
- 2005. Modulation of leaf economic traits and trait relationships by climate. Global Ecology and Biogeography 14: 411–421. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Strategy shifts in leaf physiology, structure and nutrient content between species of high- and low-rainfall and high- and low-nutrient habitats. Functional Ecology 15: 423–434. , , .
- 2004. The worldwide leaf economics spectrum. Nature (London) 428: 821–827. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , et al .