Adaxial/abaxial specification in the regulation of photosynthesis and stomatal opening with respect to light orientation and growth with CO2 enrichment in the C4 species Paspalum dilatatum
Article first published online: 11 SEP 2007
© The Authors (2007).
Volume 177, Issue 1, pages 186–198, January 2008
How to Cite
Soares, A. S., Driscoll, S. P., Olmos, E., Harbinson, J., Arrabaça, M. C. and Foyer, C. H. (2008), Adaxial/abaxial specification in the regulation of photosynthesis and stomatal opening with respect to light orientation and growth with CO2 enrichment in the C4 species Paspalum dilatatum. New Phytologist, 177: 186–198. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2007.02218.x
- Issue published online: 11 SEP 2007
- Article first published online: 11 SEP 2007
- Received: 17 June 2007Accepted: 23 July 2007
- 1986. An efficient method for the determination of Km values for HCO3 of phosphoenolpyruvate. Planta 169: 356–360. .
- 1999. Phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase activity in Paspalum dilatatum Poir. grown at different nitrogen nutrition. Agronomia Lusitana 47: 239–247. , , .
- 1993. Facing the inevitable: plants and increasing atmospheric CO2. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 44: 309–332. .
- 1976. A rapid and sensitive method for the quantification of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein dye-binding. Analytical Biochemistry 72: 248–254. .
- 1999. Agronomic implications of C4 photosynthesis. In: RFSage, RKMonson, eds. C4 plant biology. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 473–507. .
- 2001. Photosynthetic responses of temperate species to free air CO2 enrichment (FACE) in a grazed New Zealand pasture. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 28: 439–450. , , , , .
- 2000. Biochemical models of leaf photosynthesis. In: Techniques in plant sciences. Collingwood, Australia: CSIRO Publishing, 91–122. .
- 2007. Photosynthetic responses of three C4 grasses of different metabolic subtypes to water deficit. Functional Plant Biology 34: 204–213. , , , , , .
- 2003. Effects of long-term chilling on growth and photosynthesis of the C4 Gramineae Paspalum dilatatum. Physiologia Plantarum 119: 87–96. , , .
- 1996. Phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase: a ubiquitous, highly regulated enzyme in plants. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 47: 273–298. , , .
- 2006. Systemic signalling of environmental cues in Arabidopsis leaves. Journal of Experimental Botany 57: 329–341. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Stomatal patterning in monocotyledons: Tradescantia as a model system. Journal of Experimental Botany 49: 279–292. .
- 1991. Chlorophyll and light gradients in sun and shade leaves of Spinacia oleracea. Plant, Cell & Environment 14: 493–500. , , .
- 1991. Photosynthetic symmetry of sun and shade leaves of different orientations. Oecologia 87: 51–57. , , , .
- 1971. Different CO2 sensitivities of the gas exchange of the two leaf surfaces of Zea mays. Planta 98: 186–189. .
- 2006. Specification of adaxial and abaxial stomata, epidermal structure and photosynthesis to CO2 enrichment in maize leaves. Journal of Experimental Botany 57: 381–390. , , , , .
- 1995. Carbon fixation profiles do reflect light absorption profiles in leaves. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 22: 865–873. .
- 1993. Photosynthetic light-response curves. 2. Gradients of light absorption and photosynthetic capacity. Planta 189: 191–200. , , .
- 2003. Profiles of 14C fixation through spinach leaves in relation to light absorption and photosynthetic capacity. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 547–560. , .
- 2002. Leaf stomatal and epidermal cell development: Identification of putative quantitative trait loci in relation to elevated carbon dioxide concentration in poplar. Tree Physiology 22: 633–640. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Leaf area is stimulated in Populus by free air CO2 enrichment (POPFACE), through increased cell expansion and production. Plant, Cell & Environment 24: 305–315. , , , , .
- 1997. The effect of CO2 enrichment and irradiance on the growth, morphology and gas-exchange of a C3 (Panicum laxum) and a C4 (Panicum antidotale) grass. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 24: 227–237. , , , .
- 2001. Plant water use efficiency of 17 Australian NAD-ME and NADP-ME C4 grasses at ambient and elevated CO2 partial pressure. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 28: 1207–1217. , , .
- 2000. The HIC signalling pathway links CO2 perception to stomatal development. Nature 408: 713–716. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Photosynthetic responses of thirteen pasture species to elevated CO2 and temperature. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 22: 713–722. , , .
- 2000. Leaf orientation, light interception and stomatal conductance of Eucalyptus globules ssp. globules leaves. Tree Physiology 20: 815–823. , .
- 2001. Plant development: signals from mature to new leaves. Nature 411: 154–158. , , , .
- 2002. Long-distance CO2 signalling in plants. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 183–193. , , .
- 1998. Plant physiological ecology (Chapter 2: Photosynthesis, respiration, and long-distance transport). New York, NY, USA: Springer, 10–95. , , .
- 1997. Epidermal cell fate and patterning in leaves. Plant Cell 9: 1109–1120. , , , .
- 1998. Growth, gas exchange, leaf nitrogen and carbohydrate concentrations in NAD-ME and NADP-ME C4 grasses grown in elevated CO2. Physiologia Plantarum 102: 297–306. , .
- 1983. Determination of total carotenoids and chlorophylls a and b of leaf extracts in different solvents. Biochemistry Society Transactions 11: 591–592. , .
- 1991. Photosynthesis of Paspalum dilatatum Poir. under nitrogen starvation. Photosynthetica 25: 583–588. , , , .
- 2007. Functional aspects of cell patterning in aerial epidermis. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 10: 70–82. , .
- 2000. The effects of elevated CO2 concentrations on cell division rates, growth patterns, and blade anatomy in young wheat plants are modulated by factors related to leaf position, vernalization, and genotype. Plant Physiology 122: 1399–1415. .
- Millennium Ecosystem Assessment. 2005. Ecosystems and human well-being: synthesis. Washington, DC, USA: Island Press.
- 2006. Stomatal development in new leaves is related to the stomatal conductance of mature leaves in poplar (Populus trichocarpa×P. deltoides). Journal of Experimental Botany 57: 373–380. , , .
- 1964. Optimum lighting of leaves. Crop Science 4: 131–136. .
- 1993. Carbon fixation gradients across spinach leaves do not follow internal light gradients. Plant Cell 5: 953–961. , , .
- 2002. How does photorespiration modulate leaf amino acid contents? A dual approach through modelling and metabolite analysis. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 821–836. , , , , .
- 1976. Adaptation of the photosynthesis apparatus to the light profile in the leaf. Soviet Plant Physiology 23: 381–386. , .
- 1985. Responsiveness to seasonal temperature and nitrogen among genotypes of kikuyu, paspalum and bermuda grass pastures of coastal New South Wales. Australian Journal of Experimental Agriculture 25: 109–116. , , , , .
- 1969. Plantas novas e novas áreas para a flora de Portugal. Agronomia Lusitana 22: 15–23. .
- 2003. Plant growth and competition at elevated CO2: on winners, losers and functional groups. New Phytologist 157: 175–198. , .
- 1980. Environmental and biological control of diffusive conductances of adaxial and abaxial leaf epidermis. Photosynthetica 14: 90–127. , .
- 1993. Photosynthetic and structural acclimation to light direction in vertical leaves of Silphium terebinthinaceum. Oecologia 95: 393–400. , .
- 1963. The use of lead citrate at high pH as an electron opaque stain in electron microscopy. Journal of Cell Biology 17: 208–212. .
- 1927. On the causes and ecological significance of stomatal frequency with special reference to woodland flora. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London, Series B 216: 1–65. .
- 1989. Effect of leaf angle and orientation on photosynthesis and water relations in Silphium terebinthinaceum. American Journal of Botany 76: 1714–1719. , .
- 1997. Leaf form and photosynthesis. Bioscience 47: 785–793. , , , , .
- 2001. Why abaxial illumination limits photosynthetic carbon fixation in spinach leaves? Plant and Cell Physiology 42: 1–8. , .
- 1998. Green light drives CO2 fixation deep within leaves. Plant and Cell Physiology 39: 1020–1026. , , .
- 1979. The effects of irradiating adaxial or abaxial leaf surface on the rate of net photosynthesis of Perezia nana and Helianthus annuus. Photosynthetica 13: 287–293. , .
- 2001. Increased leaf area expansion of hybrid poplar in elevated CO2. From controlled environments to open-top chambers and to FACE. Environmental Pollution 115: 463–472. , , , , .
- 1994. Elevated CO2 and plant growth: cellular mechanisms and responses of whole plants. Journal of Experimental Botany 45: 1761–1774. , , , , .
- 1986. Dorsiventrality in photosynthetic light response curves of a leaf. Journal of Experimental Botany 37: 399–405. .
- 1988. Effects of light and nitrogen nutrition on the organization of the photosynthetic apparatus in spinach. Plant and Cell Physiology 29: 143–155. , .
- 1985a. Vertical gradient in photosynthetic properties of spinach chloroplasts dependent on intra-leaf light environment. Plant and Cell Physiology 24: 781–785. , .
- 1985b. Palisade tissue chloroplasts and spongy tissue chloroplasts in spinach: biochemical and ultrastructural differences. Plant and Cell Physiology 26: 63–75. , .
- 1983. Light environment within a leaf. 1. Optical properties of paradermal sections of Camellia leaves with special reference to differences in the optical properties of palisade and spongy tissues. Plant and Cell Physiology 24: 1493–1501. , .
- 1986. Intra-leaf and intracellular gradients in chloroplast ultrastructure of dorsiventral leaves illuminated from the adaxial or abaxial side during their development. Plant and Cell Physiology 27: 1023–1031. , , .
- 1999. Effects of elevated atmospheric CO2 concentration on leaf anatomy and morphology in Panicum species representing different photosynthetic modes. International Journal of Plant Science 160: 1063–1073. , .
- 1970. Response of adaxial and abaxial stomata to light. New Phytologist 69: 647–653. .
- 2001. Simulation of photon transport in a three-dimensional leaf: implications for photosynthesis. Plant, Cell & Environment 24: 1095–1103. , , .
- 1984. Rates of photosynthesis relative to activity of photosynthetic enzymes, chlorophyll and soluble protein content among ten C4 species. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 11: 509–517. , , .
- 1993. Plant tissue optics. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 44: 233–251. .
- 1997. How is the relationship between the C4 cereal Sorghum bicolour and the C3 root hemi-parasites Striga hermonthica and Striga asiatica affected by elevated CO2? Plant, Cell & Environment 20: 1292–1300. , .
- 1999. Responses of wild C4 and C3 grass (Poaceae) species to elevated CO2 concentration: a meta-analytic test of current theories and perceptions. Global Change Biology 5: 723–741. , , , .
- 2001. Growth responses to elevated CO2 in NADP-ME, NAD-ME and PCK C4 grasses and a C3 grass from South Africa. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 28: 13–25. , , .
- 1995. The influence of CO2 concentration on stomatal density. New Phytologist 131: 311–327. , .
- 2002. Stomatal development and CO2: Ecological consequences. New Phytologist 153: 477–484. , , .