Timing of bud set in Picea abies is regulated by a memory of temperature during zygotic and somatic embryogenesis
Article first published online: 9 OCT 2007
© The Authors (2007).
Volume 177, Issue 1, pages 49–59, January 2008
How to Cite
Kvaalen, H. and Johnsen, Ø. (2008), Timing of bud set in Picea abies is regulated by a memory of temperature during zygotic and somatic embryogenesis. New Phytologist, 177: 49–59. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2007.02222.x
- Issue published online: 9 OCT 2007
- Article first published online: 9 OCT 2007
- Received: 30 June 2007 Accepted: 12 July 2007
- 1987. Improved efficiency of somatic embryogenesis in mature embryos of Picea abies (L.) Karst. Journal of Plant Physiology 128: 233–244.
- 1995. Somatic embryogenesis in Norway spruce (Picea abies). In: JainSM, GuptaPK, NewtonRJ, eds. Somatic embryogenesis in woody plants. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer, 17–36. , , , , , .
- 1988. Regulation of somatic embryo development in Picea abies by abscisic acid (ABA). Journal of Plant Physiology 132: 164–169. ,
- 2002. Pollen competition and seed-siring success in Picea abies. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 104: 638–642. , , , , .
- 1991. Enhanced maturation and desiccation tolerance of white spruce (Picea glauca [Moench.] Voss) somatic embryos. Effect of non-plasmolysing water stress and abscisic acid. Annals of Botany 68: 519–525. , , , .
- Do maternal environmental conditions during reproductive development induce genotypic selection in Picea abies? Annals of Forest Science. , , , , , , , , . (in press).
- 2007. Warm and cold parental reproductive environments affect seed properties, fitness and cold responsiveness in Arabidopsis thaliana progenies. Plant, Cell & Environment 30: 165–175. , , , , .
- 2002. Induction of tolerance to fast desiccation in black spruce (Picea mariana) somatic embryos: relationship between partial water loss, sugars, and dehydrins. Physiologia Plantarum 115: 523–530. , , .
- 1958. Luftemperaturen i Norge 1861–1955, Vol. I. Oslo, Sweden: Det Norske Meterologiske Institutt. .
- 1985. Somatic embryogenesis and plantlet regeneration from cultured immature and mature embryos of Picea abies (L.) Karst. Communicationes Instituti Forestalis Cechoslaveniae 14: 57–63. .
- 2001. Range shifts and adaptive responses to Quaternary climate change. Science 292: 673–679. , .
- 1992. Are there any associations between embryogenic capacity and phonological traits in two populations of Picea abies? Canadian Journal of Forest Research 23: 731–737. , , .
- 1983. Germination of Tagetes minuta L. I. Temperature effects. Annals of Botany 52: 659–666. , .
- 1985. Shoot multiplication from mature trees of Douglas-fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii) and sugar pine (Pinus lambertiana). Plant Cell Reports 4: 177–179. , .
- 1985. Plantlet regeneration through somatic embryogenesis in Picea abies (Norway spruce). Journal of Plant Physiology 121: 149–158. , .
- 2001. Impacts of climate change on cold hardiness. In: BigrasFJ, ColomboSJ, eds. Conifer cold hardiness. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 305–333. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Isolation of cDNA clones for genes that are differentially expressed during thermoinhibition in achenes of Tagetes minuta L. Plant Growth Regulation 45: 83–94. , , .
- 2001. Difference in polypeptide expression in thermoinhibited and germinating achenes of Tagetes minuta L. Plant Growth Regulation 34: 187–194. , , .
- 2001. Critical factors affecting ex vitro performance of somatic embryo plants of Picea abies. Scandinavian Journal of Forest Research 16: 295–304. , , , .
- 1998. Integration of somatic embryogenesis in a tree breeding program: a case study with Picea abies. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 28: 1536–1545. , , , .
- 2005b. Daylength and temperature during seed production interactively affect adaptive performance of Picea abies progenies. New Phytologist 168: 589–596. , , , .
- 2005a. Climatic adaptation in Picea abies progenies is affected by the temperature during zygotic embryogenesis and seed maturation. Plant, Cell & Environment 28: 1090–1102. , , , , , .
- 1994. Effects of plus tree selection and seed orchard environment on progenies of Picea abies. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 24: 32–38. , .
- 1995. Sexual reproduction in a glasshouse and reduced autumn frost hardiness of Picea abies progenies. Tree Physiology 15: 551–555. , , , , .
- 1996. Influence of the female flowering environment on autumn frost-hardiness of Picea abies progenies. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 92: 797–802. , , , .
- 1994. The timing of bud-set in seedlings of Picea abies from seed crops of a cool versus a warm summer. Silvae Genetica 43: 328–332. , .
- 1988. Somatic embryogenesis in Sitka spruce (Picea sitchensis (Bong.) Carr.). Plant Cell Reports 7: 594–597. , , , .
- 1999. Light quality influences germination, root growth and hypocotyl elongation in somatic embryos but not in seedlings of Norway spruce. In Vitro Cellular and Developmental Biology – Plant 35: 437–441. , .
- 2001. Is there a negative genetic correlation between initiation of embryogenic tissue and fungus susceptibility in Norway spruce? Canadian Journal of Forest Research 34: 824–831. , , , .
- 2005. Somatic embryogenesis for plant production of Abies lasiocarpa. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 35: 1053–1060. , , , , .
- 2006. Light quality treatments enhance somatic seedling production in three southern pine species. Tree Physiology 26: 187–194. , , , , .
- 1991. Origin and development of embryogenic cultures from seedlings of Norway spruce (Picea-abies). Journal of Plant Physiology 138: 223–230. ,
- 1984. Design and analysis of experiments. New York, NY, USA: John Wiley, 107–110. .
- 1994. Quantitation of gibberellins A(9), A(1) and A(3) in relation to flower bud differentiation in Picea-abies. Scandinavian Journal of Forest Research 9: 341–346. , , ,
- 2001. Potential effects of temperature on early reproductive development and progeny performance in Picea abies (L.) Karst. Scandinavian Journal of Forest Research 16: 221–237. , , , .
- 2003. Loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.): Stage specific elemental analyses of zygotic embryo and female gametophyte tissue. Plant Science 164: 943–954. , .
- 2005. Gibberellin inhibitors improve embryogenic tissue initiation in conifers. Plant Cell Reports 9: 596–605. , , ,
- 1991. Abscisic acid and mannitol promote early development, maturation and storage protein accumulation in somatic embryos of interior spruce. Physiologia Plantarum 83: 247–254. .
- 1990. Synchronous and high frequency germination of interior spruce following partial drying at high relative humidity. Canadian Journal of Botany 68: 1086–1090. , , .
- 1968. Investigations on the flowering and seed crop of Picea abies. Communicationes Instituti Forestalis Fenniae 67: 1–84. .
- 2001. Tree and forest functioning in response to global warming. New Phytologist 149: 369–399. , , , ,
- 2007. Field performance and early test results of offspring from two Norway spruce seed orchards containing clones transferred to warmer climates. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 37: 515–522. , , , , .
- 2003. Recent advances in conifer somatic embryogenesis: improving embryo quality. Plant Cell Tissue and Organ Culture 74: 15–35. , .
- 2005. Elevated temperature during reproductive development affects cone traits and progeny performance in Picea glauca×engelmannii complex. Tree Physiology 25: 1219–1227. , , , .