These authors contributed equally to this work.
A systematic study to determine the extent of gene silencing in Nicotiana benthamiana and other Solanaceae species when heterologous gene sequences are used for virus-induced gene silencing
Article first published online: 8 NOV 2007
Volume 176, Issue 4, pages 782–791, December 2007
How to Cite
Senthil-Kumar, M., Hema, R., Anand, A., Kang, L., Udayakumar, M. and Mysore, K. S. (2007), A systematic study to determine the extent of gene silencing in Nicotiana benthamiana and other Solanaceae species when heterologous gene sequences are used for virus-induced gene silencing. New Phytologist, 176: 782–791. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2007.02225.x
- Issue published online: 8 NOV 2007
- Article first published online: 8 NOV 2007
- Received: 21 May 2007; Accepted: 20 July 2007
- 2007b. Arabidopsis VIRE2 INTERACTING PROTEIN2 is required for Agrobacterium T-DNA integration in plants. Plant Cell 19: 1695–1708. , , , , , , , .
- 2007a. Identification and characterization of plant genes involved in Agrobacterium-mediated plant transformation by virus-induced gene silencing. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 187: 41–52. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. MicroRNAs: genomics, biogenesis, mechanism, and function. Cell 116: 281–297. .
- 1999. Fast forward genetics based on virus-induced gene silencing. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 2: 109–113. .
- 2002. RNA silencing. Current Biology 12: R82–R84. .
- 2004. The potential of virus-induced gene silencing for speeding up functional characterization of plant genes. Genetics and Molecular Research 3: 323–341. , , , .
- 2001. Role for a bidentate ribonuclease in the initiation step of RNA interference. Nature 409: 363–366. , , , .
- 2004. Virus-induced gene silencing in Solanum species. Plant Journal 39: 264–272. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Applications and advantages of virus-induced gene silencing for gene function studies in plants. Plant Journal 39: 734–746. , , , .
- 2006. Efficient virus-induced gene silencing in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Physiology 142: 21–27. , , , .
- 2000. Virus-induced silencing of a plant cellulose synthase gene. Plant Cell 12: 691–705. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. A method of high frequency virus-induced gene silencing in chilli pepper (Capsicum annuum L. cv. Bukang). Molecules and Cells 17: 377–380. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Virus-induced gene silencing as a tool for functional genomics in a legume species. Plant Journal 40: 622–631. , , , , , .
- 2006. Characterization of a Brome mosaic virus strain and its use as a vector for gene silencing in Monocotyledonous hosts. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 11: 1229–1239. , , , , .
- 2003. Two MAPK cascades, NPR1, and TGA transcription factors play a role in Pto-mediated disease resistance in tomato. Plant Journal 36: 905–917. , , , , .
- 2004. Potato virus X-induced gene silencing in leaves and tubers of potato. Plant Physiology 134: 1308–1316. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. A geminivirus-induced gene silencing system for gene function validation in cassava. Plant Molecular Biology 56: 613–624. , , , , .
- 2002. Two classes of short interfering RNA in RNA silencing. EMBO Journal 21: 4671–4679. , , , .
- 1999. A novel species of small antisense RNA in post transcriptional gene silencing. Science 286: 950–952. , .
- 2000. An RNA-directed nuclease mediates post transcriptional gene silencing in Drosophila cells. Nature 404: 293–296. , , , .
- 1979. A method for the extraction of chlorophyll from leaf tissues without maceration. Canadian Journal of Botany 57: 1332–1334. , .
- 2005. Virus-induced gene silencing in Nicotiana benthamiana using DEAD-box helices sequence derived from Dunaliella salina. Journal of Young Investigators 12: 1–6. , .
- 2004. Pseudomonas type III effector AvrPro suppresses the programmed cell death induced by some non-host pathogens in Nicotiana benthamiana and tomato. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 17: 1328–1336. , , .
- 2004. Effectiveness of RNA interference in transgenic plants. FEBS Letters 566: 223–228. , , , .
- 2003. Interaction of NtCDPK1 calcium-dependent protein kinase with NtRpn3 regulatory subunit of the 26S proteasome in Nicotiana tabacum. Plant Journal 33: 825–840. , , , , , .
- 2002b. Virus-induced gene silencing in tomato. Plant Journal 31: 777–786. , , .
- 2002a. Tobacco Rar1, EDS1 and NPR1/NIM1-like genes are required for N mediated resistance to tobacco mosaic virus. Plant Journal 30: 415–429. , , , .
- 2003. High throughput virus-induced gene silencing implicates heat shock protein 90 in plant disease resistance. EMBO Journal 22: 5690–5699. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Mechanisms of gene silencing by double-stranded RNA. Nature 431: 343–349. , .
- 2002. Ubiquitin ligase-associated protein SGT1 is required for host and nonhost disease resistance in plants. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 99: 10865–10869. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2001. Tobacco rattle virus as a vector for analysis of gene function by silencing. Plant Journal 25: 237–245. , , .
- 2006. Bioinformatics and its applications in plant biology. Annual Review of Plant Biology 57: 335–360. , , .
- 2004. VIGS vectors for gene silencing: many targets, many tools. Annual Review of Plant Biology 55: 495–519. .
- 2004. Agrodrench: a novel and effective agroinoculation method for virus-induced gene silencing in roots and diverse Solanaceous species. Plant Journal 40: 322–331. , , , .
- 2004. Virus-induced gene silencing of jasmonate-induced direct defenses, nicotine and trypsin proteinase-inhibitors in Nicotiana attenuata. Journal of Experimental Botany 55: 151–157. , .
- 2007. Functional characterization of Nicotiana benthamiana homologs of peanut water deficit-induced genes by virus-induced gene silencing. Planta 225: 523–539. , , , , .
- 2006. High throughput virus-induced gene silencing approach to assess the functional relevance of a moisture stress-induced cDNA homologous to Lea4. Journal of Experimental Botany 57: 2291–2302. , .
- 2001. Size constraints for targeting post transcriptional gene silencing and for RNA-directed methylation in Nicotiana benthamiana using a potato virus X vector. Plant Journal 25: 417–425. , , , .
- 2001. RNA silencing as a plant immune system against viruses. Trends in Genetics 17: 449–459. .
- 2006. Optimization of tobacco rattle virus-induced gene silencing in Arabidopsis. Functional Plant Biology 33: 347–355. , , , .
- 2005. Assessment of penetrance and expressivity of RNAi-mediated silencing of the Arabidopsis phytoene desaturase gene. New Phytologist 167: 751–760. , , , , .
- 1998. Virus resistance and gene silencing in plants can be induced by simultaneous expression of sense and antisense RNA. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 95: 13959–13964. , , .
- 2003. Exploring plant genomes by RNA-induced gene silencing. Nature Reviews Genetics 4: 29–38. , .
- 2006. Computational estimation and experimental verification of off-target silencing during post-transcriptional gene silencing in plants. Plant Physiology 142: 429–440. , , , , .
- 2000. RNAi: double-stranded RNA directs the ATP-dependent cleavage of mRNA at 21–23 nucleotide intervals. Cell 101: 25–33. , , , .
- 2006. Development of bean pod mottle virus-based vectors for stable protein expression and sequence-specific virus-induced gene silencing in soybean. Virology 344: 401–411. , .