Changes in vessel anatomy in response to mechanical loading in six species of tropical trees
Version of Record online: 17 OCT 2007
Volume 176, Issue 3, pages 610–622, November 2007
How to Cite
Christensen-Dalsgaard, K. K., Fournier, M., Ennos, A. R. and Barfod, A. S. (2007), Changes in vessel anatomy in response to mechanical loading in six species of tropical trees. New Phytologist, 176: 610–622. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2007.02227.x
- Issue online: 17 OCT 2007
- Version of Record online: 17 OCT 2007
- Received: 5 April 2007; Accepted: 15 July 2007
- 2000. Competition in the regeneration niche between conifers and angiosperms: Bond's slow seedling hypothesis. Functional Ecology 14: 401–412. .
- 1983. Quantitative wood anatomy – relating anatomy to transverse tensile-strength. Wood and Fiber Science 15: 395–407. , , .
- 1986. Mechanical and anatomical properties in individual growth rings of plantation-grown eastern cottonwood and loblolly-pine. Wood and Fiber Science 18: 23–38. , .
- 1986. Biophysical model of xylem conductance in tracheids of the fern Pteris-Vittata. Journal of Experimental Botany 37: 1054–1064. , , .
- 1985. Ecological wood anatomy of the woody Southern Californian flora. IAWA Bulletin 6: 319–347. , .
- 1992. Xylem structure and water transport in a twiner, a scrambler, and a shrub of Lonicera (Caprifoliaceae). Trees-Structure and Function 6: 216–224. , .
- 2006. Mechanical constraints on the hydraulic architecture of tropical trees. In: SalmenL, ed. Fifth Plant Biomechanics Conference. Stockholm, Sweden: STFI-Packforsk AB, 399–404. , , , .
- 2003. Biomechanics of buttressed trees: bending strains and stresses. American Journal of Botany 90: 1349–1356. , , , , .
- 2007. Effects of wind on the allometry of two species of plants in an elfin cloud forest. Biotropica 39: 177–185. , , .
- 1997. The function of buttress roots: a comparative study of the anchorage systems of buttressed (Aglaia and Nephelium ramboutan species) and non-buttressed (Mallotus wrayi) tropical trees. Journal of Experimental Botany 48: 1703–1716. , , .
- 1991. Effect of growth-rate and wind sway on the relation between mechanical and water-flow properties in Slash Pine-seedlings. Canadian Journal of Forest Research–Revue Canadienne de Recherche Forestiere 21: 1501–1506. .
- 2005. Root system architecture of Quercus pubescens trees growing on different sloping conditions. Annals of Botany 95: 351–361. , , , .
- 1998. Resistances to fluid flow of model xylem vessels with simple and scalariform perforation plates. Journal of Experimental Botany 49: 979–985. , .
- 1993. The scaling of root anchorage. Journal of Theoretical Biology 161: 61–75. .
- 2000. The mechanics of root anchorage. Advances in Botanical Research Incorporating Advances in Plant Pathology 33: 133–157. .
- 1997. Vessel diameters in roots versus stems of tropical lianas and other growth forms. Iawa Journal 18: 261–279. , , , , .
- 2005. Alternative height strategies among 45 dicot rain forest species from tropical Queensland, Australia. Journal of Ecology 93: 521–535. , .
- 2006. Local disturbance, forest structure and dispersal effects on sapling distribution of light-demanding and shade-tolerant species in a French Guianian forest. Acta Oecologica 29: 141–154. , , .
- 2006. Tree biomechanics and growth strategies in the context of forest functional ecology. In: HerrelA, SpeckT, RoweNP, eds. Ecology and biomechanics. A mechanical approach to the ecology of animals and plants. Boca Raton, FL, USA: CRC Press. , , , , .
- 1991a. Is the climbing habit of poison oak ecotypic? Functional Ecology 5: 696–704. .
- 1991b. Stem hydraulic-properties of vines vs shrubs of western poison oak, Toxicodendron diversilobum. Oecologia 87: 180–189. .
- 1991c. Structural stability and architecture of vines vs shrubs of poison oak, Toxicodendron diversilobum. Ecology 72: 2005–2015. .
- 2003. Effects of tension wood on specific conductivity and vulnurability to embolism of Quercus ilex seedlings grown at two atmospheric CO2 concentrations. Tree Physiology 23: 387–395. , , .
- 1997. Cellular solids. Structure and properties. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. , .
- 2004. Ecology and management of a neotropical rainforest – lessons drawn from Paracou, a long-term experimental research site in French Guiana. Paris, France: Elsevier. , , .
- 1975. Root strength in some Populus and Salix clones. New Zealand Journal of Botany 13: 333–344. , .
- 2005. Development and experimental validation of a continuum micromechanics model for the elasticity of wood. European Journal of Mechanics A – Solids 24: 1030–1053. , .
- 2001. Stomatal conductance and photosynthesis vary linearly with plant hydraulic conductance in ponderosa pine. Plant Cell and Environment 24: 113–121. , , , .
- 2003. Mechanical architecture and development in Clematis: implications for canalised evolution of growth forms. New Phytologist 158: 543–559. , , .
- 2003. Palaeo-adaptive properties of the xylem of metasequoia: mechanical/hydraulic compromises. Annals of Botany 92: 79–88. , , , .
- 2005. Mechanical perturbation affects conductivity, mechanical properties and aboveground biomass of hybrid poplars. Tree Physiology 25: 1243–1251. , , , .
- 1998. Physical damage on tropical tree saplings: quantification and consequences for competition through height growth in a neotropical rain forest of french guiana. Annals de Sciences Forestiers 55: 727–742. , .
- 2006. Optimizing for multiple functions: mechanical and structural contributions of cellulose microfibrils and lignin in strengthening tissues. In: StokkeDD, GroomLH, eds. Characterization of the cellulosic cell Wall. Ames, IA, USA: Blackwell Publishing, 20–29. , , .
- 2000. Micromechanics and anatomical changes during early ontogeny of two lianescent Aristolochia species. Planta 210: 691–700. , , .
- 1991. Trees: the mechanical design. Berlin, Germany: Springer Verlag. .
- 1993. Safety factors in trees. Journal of Theoretical Biology 165: 185–189. , , .
- 2004. Murray's law and the hydraulic vs mechanical functioning of wood. Functional Ecology 18: 931–938. , ,
- 2004. Variation in xylem structure and function in stems and roots of trees to 20 m depth. New Phytologist 163: 507–517. , , , .
- 1997. Biomechanical and hydraulic determinants of tree structure in Scots pine: anatomical characteristics. Tree Physiology 17: 105–113. , , .
- 2003. The effect of unidirectional stem flexing on shoot and root morphology and architecture in young Pinus sylvestris trees. Canadian Journal of Forest Research–Revue Canadienne de Recherche Forestiere 33: 2202–2209. , .
- 1996. Adaptive growth of tree root systems in response to wind action and site conditions. Tree Physiology 16: 891–898. , .
- 1999. Variations of the mechanical properties of Acer saccharum roots. Journal of Experimental Botany 50: 193–200. .
- 2000. Wood biomechanics and anatomy of Pachycereus pringlei. American Journal of Botany 87: 469–481. , , , .
- 2006. Wood density and vessel traits as distinct correlates of ecological strategy in 51 California coast range angiosperms. New Phytologist 170: 807–818. , , .
- 1959. Transverse anisotropy of wood. Forest Products Journal 9: 350–359. .
- 1988. A method for measuring hydraulic conductivity and embolism in xylem. Plant, Cell & Environment 11: 35–40. , , .
- 2005. Comparative analysis of end wall resistivity in xylem conduits. Plant, Cell & Environment 28: 456–465. , , .
- 1971. Anatomical investigations on buttresses of Khaya-Ivorensis a Chev Piptadeniastrum-Africanum (Hook F) Brenan. Holz Als Roh-und Werkstoff 29: 314–318. .
- 1996. Variation of wood strength in tree roots. Journal of Experimental Botany 47: 693–699. , .
- 1997. Responses of young Sitka spruce clones to mechanical perturbation and nutrition: effects on biomass allocation, root development, and resistance to bending. Canadian Journal of Forest Research–Revue Canadienne de Recherche Forestiere 27: 1049–1057. , , , .
- 1995. Wind-induced physiological and developmental responses in trees. In: CouttsMP, GraceJ, eds. Wind and trees. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. .
- 2006. A unified hypothesis of mechanoperception in plants. American Journal of Botany 93: 1466–1476. .
- 2001. Character convergence, diversity, and disturbance in tropical rain forest in Guyana. Ecology 82: 3197–3212. , .
- 1997. The possible function of buttresses in Caryocar nuciferum (Caryocaraceae) in Guyana: ecological and wood anatomical observations. Iawa Journal 18: 415–431. , , .
- 1998. Rain forest on Maraca Island, Roraima, Brazil: artificial gaps and plan response to them. Forest Ecology and Management 102: 305–321. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Distribution of primary forest plant species in a 19-year old secondary forest in French Guiana. Journal of Tropical Ecology 14: 323–340. , , .
- 2003. Hydraulic limits on tree performance: transpiration, carbon gain and growth of trees. Trees-Structure and Function 17: 95–100. .
- 1998. Growth dynamics of root and shoot hydraulic conductance in seedlings of five neotropical tree species: scaling to show possible adaptation to differing light regimes. Oecologia 114: 293–298. , , .
- 2006. Tree species identification on large-scale aerial photographs in a tropical rain forest, French Guiana – application for management and conservation. Forest Ecology and Management 225: 51–61. , .
- 2003. Classifying successional forests using Landsat spectral properties and ecological characteristics in eastern Amazonia. Remote Sensing and Environment 87: 470–481. , , , , , .
- 1998. Tradeoffs between hydraulic efficiency and mechanical strength in the stems of four co-occurring species of chaparral shrubs. Oecologia 117: 53–62. , , .
- 1999. A general model for the structure and allometry of plant vascular systems. Nature 400: 664–667. , , .
- 2005. Inter-vessel pitting and cavitation in woody Rosaceae and other vesselled plants: a basis for a safety versus efficiency trade-off in xylem transport. Plant, Cell & Environment 28: 800–812. , , , .
- 2000. The buttressed blue marble tree: wood and growth characteristics of Elaeocarpus angustifolius (Elaeocarpaceae). Annals of Botany 85: 1–6. , , .
- 2003. Hydraulic, biomechanical, and anatomical interactions of xylem from five species of Acer (Aceraceae). American Journal of. Botany 90: 693–699. , , .
- 1994. Treefalls, crown asymmetry, and buttresses. Journal of Ecology 82: 319–324. , .