Novel mannose-sequestration technique reveals variation in subcellular orthophosphate pools do not explain the effects of phosphorus nutrition on photosynthesis in Eucalyptus globulus seedlings
Version of Record online: 8 NOV 2007
Volume 176, Issue 4, pages 849–861, December 2007
How to Cite
Turnbull, T. L., Warren, C. R. and Adams, M. A. (2007), Novel mannose-sequestration technique reveals variation in subcellular orthophosphate pools do not explain the effects of phosphorus nutrition on photosynthesis in Eucalyptus globulus seedlings. New Phytologist, 176: 849–861. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2007.02229.x
- Issue online: 8 NOV 2007
- Version of Record online: 8 NOV 2007
- Received: 23 May 2007; Accepted: 25 July 2007
- 2000. Evidence that P deficiency induces N feedback regulation of symbiotic N2 fixation in white clover (Trifolium repens L.). Journal of Experimental Botany 51: 1289–1297. , , , , .
- 1995. Regulation of ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase oxygenase activation by inorganic phosphate through stimulating the binding of the activator CO2 to the activation sites. Plant and Cell Physiology 36: 425–433. , , .
- 1996. Effects of phosphate deficiency on photosynthesis and accumulation of starch and soluble sugars in 1-year-old seedlings of Maritime pine (Pinus pinaster Ait). Annals of Forest Science 53: 801–810. , , , .
- 1973. Phosphate pools, phosphate transport, and phosphate availability. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 24: 225–252. .
- 1999. Foliage physiology and biochemistry in response to light gradients in conifers with varying shade tolerance. Oecologia 120: 183–192. , , , .
- 2007. Partitioning concurrent influences of nitrogen and phosphorus supply on model parameters of Pinus radiata. Tree Physiology 27: 335–344. , , , , .
- 1986. Effects of phosphorus nutrition on ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase activation, photosynthetic quantum yield and amounts of some Calvin cycle metabolites in spinach leaves. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 13: 221–237. .
- 1981. Some relationships between the biochemistry of photosynthesis and the gas exchange of leaves. Planta 153: 376–387. , .
- 1993. Photosynthesis and nutrient supply in needles of Sitka spruce [Picea sitchensis (Bong.) Carr.]. New Phytologist 125: 101–111. , .
- 2001. Phosphate status affects the gene expression, protein content and enzymatic activity of Udp-glucose pyrophosphorylase in wild-type and Pho mutants of Arabidopsis. Planta 212: 598–605. , , , .
- 1995. Photosynthetic rates and nutrient-use efficiency among evergreen and deciduous shrubs in Okefenokee swamp. International Journal of Plant Sciences 156: 19–28. , .
- 2006. Modeling photosynthesis in olive leaves under drought conditions. Tree Physiology 26: 1445. , , , , , .
- 1980. A biochemical model of photosynthetic CO2 assimilation in leaves of C3 species. Planta 149: 78–90. , , .
- 1986. The photosynthesis-nitrogen relationship in wild plants. In: GivnishTJ, ed. On the economy of plant form and function. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 25–55. , .
- 1990. The effect of sucrose and mannose on cytoplasmic protein phosphorylation sucrose phosphate synthetase activity and photosynthesis in leaf protoplasts from spinach. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 28: 151–160. .
- 1986. The relationship between phosphate status and photosynthesis in leaves. Effects of intracellular orthophosphate distribution, photosynthesis and assimilate partitioning. Planta 167: 369–375. , .
- 2001. Expression and distribution of a vacuolar aquaporin in young and mature leaf tissues of Brassica napus in relation to water fluxes. Planta 212: 270–278. , , , , , .
- 1989. Influence of phosphorus nutrition on growth and carbon partitioning in Glycine max. Plant Physiology 89: 225–230. , , .
- 1996. Phosphorus responses of C3 and C4 species. Journal of Experimental Botany 47: 497–505. , .
- 1975. Percolation of starch and soluble carbohydrates from plant tissue for quantitative determination with anthrone. Analytical Biochemistry 68: 87–94. , .
- 1995. Scaling carbon dioxide and water vapor exchange from leaf to canopy in a deciduous forest. I. Leaf model parameterization. Plant, Cell & Environment 18: 1146–1156. , .
- 1992. Theoretical considerations when estimating the mesophyll conductance to carbon dioxide flux by analysis of the response of photosynthesis to carbon dioxide. Plant Physiology 98: 1429–1436. , , .
- 1991. An improved model of C3 photosynthesis at high CO2– reversed O2 sensitivity explained by lack of glycerate re-entry into the chloroplast. Photosynthesis Research 27: 169–178. , .
- 1986. Mannose metabolism in corn and its impact on leaf metabolites, photosynthetic gas exchange and chlorophyll fluorescence. Plant Physiology 82: 1081–1089. , , , , , .
- 2000. Foliar concentrations and resorption of nitrogen and phosphorus in 15 species of eucalypts grown under non-limited water and nutrient availability. Australian Journal of Botany 48: 597–602. , .
- 1978. Induction of wilting by mannose in spinach leaves. New Phytologist 81: 299–305. .
- 1980. Regulation of photosynthesis by sink activity – the missing link. New Phytologist 86: 131–144. .
- 1977. Mannose and green plants occurrence, physiology and metabolism, and use as a tool to study the role of orthophosphate. New Phytologist 79: 1–40. , .
- 2000. Photosynthetic nutrient-use efficiency in three fast-growing tropical trees with differing leaf longevities. Tree Physiology 20: 937–944. .
- 1979. A method for the extraction of chlorophyll from leaf tissue without maceration. Canadian Journal of Botany 57: 1332–1334. , .
- 1998. Photochemistry, energy dissipation and cold-hardening in Eucalyptus nitens and E. pauciflora. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 25: 581–589. , .
- 1991. Stomatal and mesophyll limitations of photosynthesis in phosphate deficient sunflower, maize and wheat plants. Journal of Experimental Botany 42: 1003–1011. , .
- 1992. Dependence of photosynthesis of sunflower and maize leaves on phosphate supply, ribulose-1, 5-bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase activity, and ribulose-1, 5-bisphosphate pool size. Plant Physiology 98: 801–807. , .
- 1982. The application of 31P nuclear magnetic resonance to higher plant tissue. Journal of Experimental Botany 33: 670–681. , , .
- 1984. Temperature dependence of whole leaf photosynthesis in Eucalyptus pauciflora. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 11: 519–538. , .
- 1990. Photosynthetic responses to phosphorus nutrition in Eucalyptus grandis seedlings. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 17: 527–535. , .
- 1988. Phosphate sequestration by glycerol and its effects on photosynthetic carbon assimilation in leaves. Planta 176: 117–126. , , , , .
- 1991. Spatial distributions of foliar nitrogen and phosphorus in crowns of Eucalyptus grandis. Oecologia 88: 504–510. , , .
- 2003. Gas exchange measurements, what can they tell us about the underlying limitations to photosynthesis? Procedures and sources of error. Journal of Experimental Botany 54: 2393–2401. , .
- 1986. Drought and shade interact to cause fine root mortality in Douglas fir seedlings. Plant and Soil 91: 51–60. .
- 2002. The relationship between anatomy and photosynthetic performance of Heterobaric leaves. Plant Physiology 129: 1–9. , , , .
- 1988. Performance of two Picea abies (L.) Karst. Stands at different stages of decline. Oecologia 75: 25–37. , , , , , .
- 2001. Low sink demand limits photosynthesis under P-i deficiency. Journal of Experimental Botany 52: 1083–1091. , , .
- 1994. Photosynthesis and chlorophyll fluorescence in sunflower (Helianthus annus L.) leaves as affected by phosphorus nutrition. Journal of Experimental Botany 45: 919–924. , , , .
- 1998. Photosynthetic nitrogen-use efficiency of species that differ inherently in specific leaf area. Oecologia 116: 26–37. , .
- 1998. Variability of the photosynthetic characteristics of mature needles within the crown of a 25-year-old Pinus pinaster. Tree Physiology 18: 223–232. , .
- 1995. Photosynthetic rates in relation to leaf phosphorus content in pioneer versus climax tropical rainforest trees. Oecologia 102: 120–125. , , , , .
- 1989. Leaf phosphate status, photosynthesis and carbon partitioning in sugar beet. I. Changes in growth, gas exchange, and Calvin cycle enzymes. Plant Physiology 90: 814–819. , .
- 1995. Leaf phosphate status, photosynthesis, and carbon partitioning in sugar beet. IV: Changes with time following increased supply of phosphate to low phosphate plants. Plant Physiology 107: 1313–1321. , .
- 1983. Relationship between the cytoplasm and the vacuole phosphate pool in Acer pseudoplatanus cells. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics 225: 143–148. , , , .
- 2002. An evaluation of non-invasive methods to estimate foliar chlorophyll content. New Phytologist 153: 185–194. , , .
- 1987. Inorganic phosphate concentration in the stroma of isolated chloroplasts and its influence on photosynthesis. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 14: 451–462. , .
- 1992. Participation of inorganic orthophosphate in regulation of the ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase activity in response to changes in the photosynthetic source sink balance. Plant and Cell Physiology 33: 943–949. , , .
- 1985. Photosynthesis in intact leaves of C3 plants: Physics, physiology and rate limitations. Botanical Review 51: 53–105. .
- 1975. Stimulation of photosynthetic starch formation by sequestration of cytoplasmic orthophosphate. New Phytologist 74: 383–392. , , .
- 2003. Extension of a Farquhar model for limitations of leaf photosynthesis induced by light environment, phenology and leaf age in grapevines (Vitis vinifera L. Cvv. White Riesling and Zinfandel). Functional Plant Biology 30: 673–687. .
- 1998. Cleanup and analysis of sugar phosphates in biological extracts by using solid-phase extraction and anion-exchange chromatography with pulsed amperometric detection. Analytical Biochemistry 261: 31–42. , , , , .
- 1985. A comparative study of metabolite levels in plant leaf material in the dark. Planta 166: 354–364. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Effects of leaf nutrient status on photosynthetic capacity in loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.) seedlings grown in elevated atmospheric CO2. Tree Physiology 14: 947–960. , , .
- 2005. Stomatal and non-stomatal limitations to photosynthesis in four tree species in a temperate rainforest dominated by Dacrydium cupressinum in New Zealand. Tree Physiology 25: 447–456. , , , .
- 2007. Increased photosynthesis following partial defoliation of field-grown Eucalyptus globulus seedlings is not caused by increased leaf nitrogen. Tree Physiology 27: 1481–1492. , , .
- 2003. Chloroplasts in envelopes: CO2 fixation by fully functional intact chloroplasts. Photosynthesis Research 76: 319–327. .
- 1981. Secondary fluorescence kinetics of spinach leaves in relation to the onset of photosynthetic carbon assimilation. Planta 153: 273–278. .
- 1986. Photosynthesis and phosphate: a cellular affair? Trends in Biochemical Sciences 11: 176–179. , .
- 2004. The photosynthetic limitation posed by internal conductance to CO2 movement is increased by nutrient supply. Journal of Experimental Botany 55: 2313–2321. .
- 2004. What determines rates of photosynthesis per unit nitrogen in Eucalyptus seedlings? Functional Plant Biology 31: 1169–1178. , .
- 1994. The spectral determination of chlorophylls a and b, as well as carotenoids, using various solvents with spectrophotometers of different resolution. Journal of Plant Physiology 144: 307–313. .
- 1984. Compartmentation and fluxes of inorganic phosphate in photosynthetic cells. Planta 161: 525–530. , , , .
- 1993. Biochemical limitations to carbon assimilation in C3 plants – a retrospective analysis of the A-Ci curves from 109 species. Journal of Experimental Botany 44: 907–920. .
- 2006. Effects of carbon dioxide concentration and nutrition on photosynthetic functions of white birch seedlings. Tree Physiology 26: 1457–1467. , .