Long-term warming effects on root morphology, root mass distribution, and microbial activity in two dry tundra plant communities in northern Sweden
Version of Record online: 12 OCT 2007
Volume 176, Issue 4, pages 862–873, December 2007
How to Cite
Björk, R. G., Majdi, H., Klemedtsson, L., Lewis-Jonsson, L. and Molau, U. (2007), Long-term warming effects on root morphology, root mass distribution, and microbial activity in two dry tundra plant communities in northern Sweden. New Phytologist, 176: 862–873. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2007.02231.x
- Issue online: 12 OCT 2007
- Version of Record online: 12 OCT 2007
- Received: 21 March 2007; Accepted: 26 July 2007
- ACIA. 2005. Arctic climate impact assessment. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 1042.
- 1999. Responses of tundra plants to experimental warming: meta-analysis of the International Tundra Experiment. Ecological Monographs 69: 491–511. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2000. Root characteristics: Why and what to measure. In: SmitAL, BengoughAG, EngelsC, Van NoordwijkM, PellerinS, Van De GeijnSC, eds. Root methods: a handbook. Heidelberg, Germany: Springer, 1–32. .
- 2003. Increased nitrification in acid coniferous forest soil due to high nitrogen deposition and liming. Scandinavian Journal of Forest Research 18: 514–524. , .
- 2000. Kinetics of nutrient uptake by roots: responses to global change. New Phytologist 147: 155–169. .
- 2003. Assessment of chemical denudation rates using hydrological measurements, water chemistry analysis and electromagnetic geophysical data. Permafrost and Periglacial Processes 14: 387–397. , , , , , , .
- 1968. The ecology of arctic and alpine plants. Biology Reviews 43: 481–530. , .
- 2007. Linkages between N turnover and plant community structure in a tundra landscape. Plant and Soil 294: 247–261. , , , , , .
- 1991. Root function related to the morphology, life history and ecology of tundra plants. In: AtkinsonD, ed. Plant root growth: an ecological perspective. Oxford, UK: Blackwell, 311–340. , , .
- 1998. Changes in the thermal growing season in Nordic countries during the past century and prospects for the future. Agricultural and Food Science in Finland 7: 161–179. .
- 1980. The mineral nutrition of wild plants. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 11: 233–260. .
- 1985. Individualistic growth response of tundra plant species to environmental manipulations in the field. Ecology 66: 564–576. , .
- 1996. Physiological and growth responses of arctic plants to a field experiment simulating climatic change. Ecology 77: 822–840. , .
- 1995. Responses of arctic tundra to experimental and observed changes in climate. Ecology 76: 694–711. , , , , .
- 1988. Autotrophic nitrification in a fertilized acid heath soil. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 20: 845–850. , , .
- 1992. Costs and benefits of constructing roots of small diameter. Journal of Plant Nutrition 15: 763–782. .
- 1979. Plant strategies and vegetation processes. Chichester, UK: Wiley. .
- 2004. Fine root branch orders respond differently to carbon source-sink manipulations in a longleaf pine forest. Oecologia 140: 450–457. , , .
- 1991. The evolution of roots and the problems of analysing their behaviour. In: AtkinsonD, ed. Plant root growth: an ecological perspective. Oxford, UK: Blackwell, 3–22. , , .
- 2006. Morphology and response of roots of pasture species to phosphorus and nitrogen nutrition. Plant and Soil 286: 7–19. , , , .
- 2004. The plastic plant: root responses to heterogeneous supplies of nutrients. New Phytologist 162: 9–24. .
- 2000. Biotic validation of small open-top chambers in a tundra ecosystem. Global Change Biology 6: 835–842. , .
- 1989. Short-term partitioning of ammonium and nitrate between plants and microbes in an annual grassland. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 21: 409–415. , , .
- 1996. A global analysis of root distribution for terrestrial biomes. Oecologia 108: 389–411. , , , , , .
- 1997. A global budget for fine root biomass, surface area, and nutrient contents. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 94: 7362–7366. , , .
- 2005. Subarctic bryophyte ecology: phenotypic variation and responses to simulated environmental change. PhD thesis, Göteborg University, Göteborg, Sweden. .
- 1999. Nitrous oxide production and methane oxidation by different ammonia-oxidizing bacteria. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 65: 2679–2684. , .
- 1979. The effects of stem girdling on biochemical cycles within mixed deciduous forest in eastern Tennessee: soil nitrogen mineralization and nitrification rates. Oecologia 40: 259–271. , .
- 2006. Fine-root turnover patterns and their relationship to root diameter and soil depth in a 14C-labeled hardwood forest. New Phytologist 172: 523–535. , , , , .
- 1997. Nitrous oxide emission from Swedish forest soils in relation to liming and simulated increased N-deposition. Biology and Fertility of Soils 25: 290–295. , , , .
- 1977. The use of acetylene inhibition of nitrous oxide reductase in quantifying denitrification. Swedish Journal of Agricultural Research 7: 179–185. , , , .
- 2002. Factors affecting rhizosphere priming effects. Journal of Plant Nutrition and Soil Science 165: 382–396. .
- 1985. Measurement of small amounts of nitrate in an acid soil by N2O production. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 17: 733–734. , , .
- 1986. Rapid determination of the nitrification potential of an acid forest soil and assessment of its variability. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 18: 239–240. , , , .
- 2007. Tundra landscape ecology: diversity across scales. PhD thesis, Göteborg University, Göteborg, Sweden. .
- 1989. Specific root area: a soil characteristic. Plant and Soil 119: 245–249. , , .
- 2001. Changes in fine root production and longevity in relation to water and nutrient availability in a Norway spruce stand in northern Sweden. Tree Physiology 21: 1057–1061. .
- 2004. Interactive effects of soil warming and fertilization on root production, mortality, and longevity in Norway spruce stand in Northern Sweden. Global Change Biology 10: 182–188. , .
- 2004. Effects of fertilization with dolomite lime + PK or wood ash on root distribution and morphology in a Norway spruce stand in Southwest Sweden. Forest Science 50: 802–809. , .
- 1997a. Arctic soils and the ITEX experiment. Global Change Biology 3: 33–43. , , .
- 1997b. Open-top designs for manipulating field temperature in high latitude ecosystems. Global Change Biology 3: 20–32. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1998. Responses of subarctic-alpine plant communities to simulated environmental change: biodiversity of bryophytes, lichens, and vascular plants. Ambio 27: 322–329. , .
- 2003. A GIS assessment of alpine biodiversity at a range of scales. In: NagyL, GrabherrG, KörnerC, ThompsonDBA, eds. Alpine biodiversity in Europe. Berlin, Germany: Springer, 221–229. , , , , , .
- MolauU, MølgaardP (eds). 1996. ITEX manual. Copenhagen, Denmark: Danish Polar Center.
- 2005. Onset of flowering and climate variability in an alpine landscape: a 10-year study from Swedish Lapland. American Journal of Botany 92: 422–431. , , .
- 1999. Transformation of nitrogen. In: SylviaDM, FuhrmannJJ, HartelPG, ZubererDA, eds. Principles and applications of soil microbiology. Upple Saddle River, NJ, USA: Prentice Hall, 259–294. .
- 2001. Vegetation-environment relationships of boreal spruce swamp forest in Østmarka Nature Reserve, SE Norway. Sommerfeltia 29: 1–190. , , .
- 1999. The role of soil conditions in fine root ecomorphology in Norway spruce (Picea abies (L.) Karst.). Plant and Soil 208: 283–292. , , .
- 2004. Below-ground process responses to elevated CO2 and temperature: a discussion of observations, measurement methods, and models. New Phytologist 162: 311–322. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2002. Fine root architecture of nine North American trees. Ecological Monographs 72: 293–309. , , , , , .
- 2000. Responses of tree fine roots to temperature. New Phytologist 147: 105–115. , , , .
- 1998. Variation in sugar maple root respiration with root diameter and soil depth. Tree Physiology 18: 665–670. , , , , .
- 1998. Photosynthesis and respiration rates depend on leaf and root morphology and nitrogen concentration in nine boreal tree species differing in relative growth rate. Functional Ecology 12: 395–405. , , , , .
- 2005. Ambient ultraviolet radiation in the Arctic reduces root biomass and alters microbial community composition but has no effects on microbial biomass. Global Change Biology 11: 564–574. , , , , , , , , .
- GCTE-NEWS. 2001. A meta-analysis of the response of soil respiration, net nitrogen mineralization, and aboveground plant growth to experimental ecosystem warming. Oecologia 126: 543–562. , , , , , , , ,
- SAS Institute. 2002. Users guide: statistics, version 8.02 edition. Cary, NC, USA: SAS Institute.
- 2003. The implications of exoenzyme activity on microbial carbon and nitrogen limitation in soil: a theoretical model. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 35: 549–563. , .
- SMHI. 2006. Klimat I Förändring – en Jämförelse av Temperatur och Nederbörd 1991–2005 Med 1961–90. Faktablad Nr 29. Direkt offset AB, Norrköping, Sweden: Swedish Meteorological and Hydrological Institute (in Swedish).
- 1979. Phases of denitrification following oxygen depletion in soil. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 1: 261–267. , .
- Soil Survey Staff. 1994. Keys to soil taxonomy, 6th edn. Washington, DC, USA: US Department of Agriculture, Soil Conservation Service.
- 1994. Biometry. New York, NY, USA: W. H. Freeman. , .
- 2005. Warming chambers stimulate early season growth of an arctic sedge: results of a minirhizotron field study. Oecologia 142: 616–626. , .
- 1994. Denitrifiers. In: WeaverRW, AngleJS, BottomleyPS, eds. Methods of soil analysis, Part Two: Microbiological and biochemical properties. Madison, WI, USA: Soil Science Society of America, 245–267. .
- 2006. Plant community responses to experimental warming across the tundra biome. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 103: 1342–1346. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2004. CO2 exchange in three Canadian High Arctic ecosystems: response to long-term experimental warming. Global Change Biology 10: 1981–1995. , , , , .
- 2000. Annual CO2 flux in dry and moist arctic tundra: field responses to increases in summer temperatures and winter snow depth. Climatic Change 44: 139–150. , , .
- 1997. Response of Dryas octopetala to ITEX manipulations: a synthesis with circumpolar comparisons. Global Change Biology 3: 61–73. , , , , .
- 2001. Marked differences in survivorship among apple roots of different diameters. Ecology 82: 882–892. , .
- 2003. Luxury consumption of soil nutrients: a possible competitive strategy in above-ground and below-ground biomass allocation and root morphology for slow-growing arctic vegetation? Journal of Ecology 91: 664–676. , , , , .
- 1990. The vernal dam plant–microbe competition for nitrogen in northern Michigan USA hardwood forests. Ecology 71: 651–656. , , , , .
- 2000. Elevated atmospheric CO2, fine roots and the response of soil microorganisms: a review and hypothesis. New Phytologist 47: 201–222. , , , .