Long-term relationships between environment and abundance in wheat of Phaeosphaeria nodorum and Mycosphaerella graminicola
Article first published online: 18 OCT 2007
© The Authors (2007).
Volume 177, Issue 1, pages 229–238, January 2008
How to Cite
Shaw, M. W., Bearchell, S. J., Fitt, B. D. L. and Fraaije, B. A. (2008), Long-term relationships between environment and abundance in wheat of Phaeosphaeria nodorum and Mycosphaerella graminicola. New Phytologist, 177: 229–238. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2007.02236.x
- Issue published online: 18 OCT 2007
- Article first published online: 18 OCT 2007
- Received: 5 June 2007Accepted: 27 July 2007
- Anonymous. 196598. Recommended varieties of cereals. Cambridge, UK: National Institute of Agricultural Botany.
- 2006. Identification of isolate-specific and partial resistance to septoria tritici blotch in 238 European wheat cultivars and breeding lines. Plant Pathology 55: 726–738. , .
- 2005. Wheat archive links long-term fungal pathogen population dynamics to air pollution. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 5438–5442. , , , .
- 2005. Population structure of seedborne Phaeosphaeria nodorum on New York wheat. Phytopathology 95: 300–305. , , .
- 2001. Resistance of wheat cultivars and breeding lines to septoria tritici blotch caused by isolates of Mycosphaerella graminicola in field trials. Plant Pathology 50: 325–338. , , , , , , , , .
- 1985. Model for predicting severity of septoria tritici blotch on winter wheat. Phytopathology 75: 1245–1251. , , .
- 1978. The incidence of Septoria nodorum in wheat seed. Phytopathology 68: 832–835. .
- 1998. Seasonal availability of inoculum of Stagonospora nodorum in the field in the southeastern USA. Cereal Research Communications 26: 259–263. .
- 1992. Surveys of cereal diseases and pests in the Netherlands. 5. Occurrence of Septoria spp. in winter wheat. Netherlands Journal of Plant Pathology 98: 369–376. , .
- 2003. The occurrence of Mycosphaerella graminicola and its anamorph Septoria tritici in winter wheat during the growing season. European Journal of Plant Pathology 109: 253–259. , .
- 2001. A model of the effect of pseudothecia on genetic recombination and epidemic development in populations of Mycosphaerella graminicola. Phytopathology 91: 240–248. , , .
- 1999. The Septoria tritici and Stagonospora nodorum blotch diseases of wheat. European Journal of Plant Pathology 105: 629–641. .
- 1977. The effect of postinoculation periods of leaf wetness on the response of wheat cvs to infection by Septoria nodorum. Phytopathology 67: 874–878. , , , .
- 2006. Coexistence of related pathogen species on arable crops in space and time. Annual Review of Phytopathology 44: 163–182. , , , .
- 2005. QoI resistant isolates of Mycosphaerella graminicola and the role of ascospores in further spread of resistant alleles in field populations. Phytopathology 95: 933–941. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Climate change effects on plant disease: genomes to ecosystems. Annual Review of Phytopathology 44: 489–509. , , , , .
- 2001. Agronomic and meteorological factors affecting the severity of leaf blotch caused by Mycosphaerella graminicola in commercial wheat crops in England. Annals of Applied Biology 138: 301–311. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Factors affecting diseases of winter wheat in England and Wales, 1989–98. Plant Pathology 50: 453–462. , , .
- 2002. Climate change scenarios for the United Kingdom: The UKCIP02 scientific report. Norwich, UK: Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research, University of East Anglia. , , et al .
- 1975. Multivariate analysis. London: Griffin. .
- 2007. Transcriptional adaptation of Mycosphaerella graminicola to programmed cell death (PCD) of its susceptible wheat host. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 20: 178–193. , , , , , , , , .
- 1977. Surveys of diseases of winter wheat in England and Wales 1970–75. Plant Pathology 26: 8–20. .
- 1983. A review of Septoria diseases of wheat and barley. Annals of Applied Biology 103: 345–373. , , .
- 1997. Influence of crop growth and structure on the risk of epidemics by Mycosphaerella graminicola (Septoria tritici) in winter wheat. Plant Pathology 46: 126–138. , , , , .
- National Expert Group on Transboundary Air Pollution. 2001. Transboundary air pollution: acidification, eutrophication and ground level ozone in the UK. London: Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.
- 2003. Modeling of relationships between weather and winter wheat diseases: a critical approach. Phytopathology 93: 1329–1339. , , , .
- 1991. Surveys of diseases of winter wheat in England and Wales, 1976–88. Annals of Applied Biology 119: 1–20. , .
- 2002. A rainfall-based model for predicting the regional incidence of wheat seed infection by Stagonospora nodorum in New York. Phytopathology 92: 511–518. , .
- 1987. Assessment of upward movement of rain splash using a fluorescent tracer method and its application to the epidemiology of cereal pathogens. Plant Pathology 36: 201–213. .
- 1991. Interacting effects of interrupted humid periods and light on infection of wheat leaves by Septoria tritici (Mycosphaerella graminicola). Plant Pathology 40: 595–607. .
- The population dynamical consequences of density-dependence in fungal plant pathogens. In: Van WertP, AveryS, StratfordM, eds. Stress in fungi. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer. . in press.
- 1993. Factors determining the severity of Mycosphaerella graminicola (Septoria tritici) on winter wheat in the UK. Plant Pathology 42: 882–899. , .
- 1972. The latent period of Septoria nodorum in wheat. 1. The effect of temperature and moisture treatments under controlled conditions. Netherlands Journal of Plant Pathology 78: 231–241. , .
- 1981. Forecasting Septoria nodorum on winter wheat in England and Wales. Plant Pathology 29: 9–20. , .
- United Kingdom Review Group on Acid Rain. 1983. Acid deposition in the United Kingdom. Stevenage, UK: Warren Spring Laboratory.
- 2003. Stable sulfur isotope ratio indicates long-term changes in sulfur deposition in the Broadbalk experiment since 1845. Journal of Environmental Quality 32: 33–39. , , , .