Water-mediated responses of ecosystem carbon fluxes to climatic change in a temperate steppe
Version of Record online: 18 OCT 2007
© The Authors (2007).
Volume 177, Issue 1, pages 209–219, January 2008
How to Cite
Niu, S., Wu, M., Han, Y., Xia, J., Li, L. and Wan, S. (2008), Water-mediated responses of ecosystem carbon fluxes to climatic change in a temperate steppe. New Phytologist, 177: 209–219. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2007.02237.x
- Issue online: 18 OCT 2007
- Version of Record online: 18 OCT 2007
- Received: 6 June 2007 Accepted: 28 July 2007
- 2007. Leaf- and stand-level responses of forested mesocosm to independent manipulations of temperature and vapor pressure deficit. New Phytologist 174: 614–625. , , .
- 1982. Arctic tundra: a source or sink for atmospheric carbon dioxide in a changing environment? Oecologia 53: 7–11. , , , .
- 1998. Environmental controls on soil respiration in the Eurasian and Greenlandic Arctic. Journal of Geophysical Research 103: 29015–29021. , , , , .
- 2004. Vulnerability of the Asian typical steppe to grazing and climatic change. Climatic Change 63: 351–368. , , , .
- 2005. Carbon dioxide and methane exchange of a north-east Siberian tussock tundra. Global Change Biology 11: 1910–1925. , , , , .
- 2005. Climatic change and changes in global precipitation patterns: what do we know? Environment International 31: 1167–1181. .
- 1988. Correlations between carbon isotope ratio and microhabitat in desert plants. Oecologia 76: 562–566. , .
- 2001. Interannual variability in net primary production and precipitation. Science 293: 1723a. , , , , .
- 2002. Seasonal and interannual variation in carbon dioxide exchange and carbon balance in a northern temperate grassland. Global Change Biology 8: 599–615. , , .
- 1997. Dynamic modeling of northeast China transect responses to global change – a regional vegetation model driven by remote sensing information. Acta Botanica Sinica 39: 800–810. , , , .
- 2004. Daily precipitation changes in the semi-arid region over northern China. Journal of Arid Environments 59: 771–784. , , .
- 2005. Trends in intense precipitation in the climate record. Journal of Climate 18: 1326–1350. , , , , , .
- 2005. Increased rainfall variability and reduced rainfall amount decreases soil CO2 flux in a grassland ecosystem. Global Change Biology 11: 322–334. , , , , .
- 1995. Climate warming and soil microclimate: results from a meadow-warming experiment. Ecological Applications 5: 132–150. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Diurnal, seasonal and annual variation in the net ecosystem CO2 exchange of a desert shrub community (Sarcocaulescent) in Baja California, Mexico. Global Change Biology 11: 927–939. , , .
- 2002. Evaporation and carbon dioxide exchange between the atmosphere and a tussock grassland during a summer drought. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 111: 65–82. , , , .
- 2004. Response of net ecosystem gas exchange to a simulated precipitation pulse in a semiarid grassland: the role of native versus non-native grasses and soil texture. Oecologia 141: 295–305. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Moisture effects on temperature sensitivity of CO2 exchange in a subarctic heath ecosystem. Biogeochemistry 70: 317–330. , , .
- IPCC. 2007. IPCC WGI Fourth Assessment Report. Climatic change 2007: the physical science basis. Geneva: Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.
- 1995. The temperature dependence of soil organic matter decomposition, and the effect of global warming on soil organic storage. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 27: 753–760. .
- 2002. Rainfall variability, carbon cycling, and plant species diversity in a mesic grassland. Science 298: 2202–2205. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Net ecosystem carbon dioxide exchange over grazed steppe in central Mongolia. Global Change Biology 11: 1941–1955. , , , , , , , , ,
- 2002. Soil warming and carbon-cycle feedbacks to the climate system. Science 298: 2173–2175. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. A comparison of summertime water and CO2 fluxes over rangeland for well watered and drought conditions. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 106: 205–214. .
- 2005. Long term measurements of CO2 flux and evapotranspiration in a Chihuahuan desert grassland. Journal of Arid Environments 60: 423–436. , , , .
- 2002. Stomatal and photosynthetic responses of olive (Olea europaea L.) leaves to water deficits. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 395–404. , , .
- 1993. Recent change of arctic tundra ecosystems from a carbon sink to a source. Nature 361: 520–523. , , , , , .
- 2007. Effects of an increase in summer precipitation on leaf, soil, and ecosystem fluxes of CO2 and H2O in a sotol grassland in Big Bend National Park, Texas. Oecologia 151: 704–718. , , et al .
- 2004. Non-intrusive field experiments show different plant responses to warming and drought among sites, seasons and species in a North–South European gradient. Ecosystems 7: 598–612. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Seasonal dynamics of terrestrial net primary production in response to climatic changes in China. Acta Botanica Sinica 45: 269–275. , , .
- 2006. Resilience and resistance of ecosystem functional response to a precipitation pulse in a semi-arid grassland. Journal of Ecology 94: 23–30. , , , , .
- GCTE-NEWS. 2001. A meta-analysis of the response of soil respiration, net nitrogen mineralization, and aboveground plant growth to experimental ecosystem warming. Oecologia 126: 543–562. , , , , , , , ,
- 2005. Water use efficiency, carbon isotope discrimination and biomass production of two sugar beet varieties under well-watered and dry conditions. Journal of Agronomy and Crop Science 191: 426–438. .
- 1988. Primary production of the central grassland region of the United States. Ecology 69: 40–45. , , , .
- 1999. The effect of experimental ecosystem warming on CO2 fluxes in a montane meadow. Global Change Biology 5: 125–141. , .
- 2004. Interannual and seasonal variation in fluxes of water and carbon dioxide from a riparian woodland ecosystem. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 122: 65–84. , , , , , .
- 2000. Global warming and terrestrial ecosystems: a conceptual framework for analysis. Bioscience 50: 871–882. , , et al .
- 2002. Grassland responses to global environmental changes suppressed by elevated CO2. Science 298: 1987–1990. , , , , , .
- 1993. The potential response of global terrestrial carbon storage to a climatic change. Water, Air and Soil Pollution 70: 629–642. , .
- 2002. Automated closed-system canopy-chamber for continuous field-crop monitoring of CO2 and H2O fluxes. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 111: 171–186. , , , ,
- 2001. Year-round observations of the net ecosystem exchange of carbon dioxide in a native tallgrass prairie. Global Change Biology 7: 279–289. , .
- 2002. Changes in microclimate induced by experimental warming and clipping in tallgrass prairie. Global Change Biology 8: 754–768. , , .
- 2005. Direct and indirect warming effects on ecosystem carbon processes in a tallgrass prairie. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 19: GB2014. doi: 10.1029/2004GB002315. , , , .
- 2007 . Responses of soil respiration to elevated CO2, air warming, and changing soil water availability in a model old-field grassland. Global Change Biology 13: 2411–2424. , , , .
- 2003. Interactions between carbon and nitrogen mineralization and soil organic matter chemistry in Arctic tundra soils. Ecosystems 6: 129–143. , .
- 2004. CO2 exchange in three Canadian High Arctic ecosystems: response to long-term experimental warming. Global Change Biology 10: 1981–1995. , , , , .
- 2003. Assessing the response of terrestrial ecosystems to potential changes in precipitation. Bioscience 53: 941–952. , , et al .
- 2005. Dynamics of transpiration and evaporation following a moisture pulse in semiarid grassland: a chamber-based isotope method for partitioning flux components. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 132: 359–376. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Carbon fluxes of typical steppe and cropland ecosystems in the agri-pasture transition region of Inner Mongolia, China. PhD thesis. Beijing: Institute of Botany, the Chinese Academy of Sciences. .
- 2006. Diurnal, seasonal and annual variation in net ecosystem CO2 exchange of an alpine shrubland on Qinghai–Tibetan plateau. Global Change Biology 12: 1940–1953. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Source components and interannual variability of soil CO2 efflux under experimental warming and clipping in a grassland ecosystem. Global Change Biology 13: 761–775. , , .