Differential accumulation of mRNAs in drought-tolerant and susceptible common bean cultivars in response to water deficit
Version of Record online: 24 OCT 2007
© The Authors (2007).
Volume 177, Issue 1, pages 102–113, January 2008
How to Cite
Montalvo-Hernández, L., Piedra-Ibarra, E., Gómez-Silva, L., Lira-Carmona, R., Acosta-Gallegos, J. A., Vazquez-Medrano, J., Xoconostle-Cázares, B. and Ruíz-Medrano, R. (2008), Differential accumulation of mRNAs in drought-tolerant and susceptible common bean cultivars in response to water deficit. New Phytologist, 177: 102–113. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2007.02247.x
- Issue online: 24 OCT 2007
- Version of Record online: 24 OCT 2007
- Received: 11 June 2007Accepted: 12 August 2007
- 1991. Plant traits and yield stability of dry bean (Phaseolus vulgaris) cultivars under drought stress. Journal of Agriculture Science 117: 213–219. , .
- 1995. Phenological plasticity as an adaptation by common bean to rainfed environments. Crop Science 35: 199–204. , .
- 1995. Registration of ‘Pinto Villa’ Common Bean. Crop Science 35: 1211. , , , , , .
- 2007. Isolation of dehydration-responsive genes in a drought tolerant common bean cultivar and expression of a group 3 late embryogenesis abundant mRNA in tolerant and susceptible bean cultivars. Functional Plant Biology 34: 368–381. , , , , .
- 1999. Desiccation and osmotic stress increase the abundance of mRNA of the tonoplast aquaporin BobTIP26-1 in cauliflower cells. Planta 209: 77–86. , , , , , .
- 1968. A re-examination of the relative turgidity technique for estimating water deficit in leaves. Australian Journal of Biological Sciences 15: 413–428. , .
- 2002. Salinity tolerance in Phaseolus species during early vegetative growth. Crop Science 42: 2184–2192. , , .
- 1996. Suppression subtractive hybridization: a method for generating differential regulated of tissue-specific cDNA probes and libraries. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 93: 6025–6030. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. MIPDB: a relational database dedicated to MIP family proteins. Biology of the Cell 97: 535–543. , , .
- 2005. Specific plasma membrane aquaporins of the PIP1 subfamily are expressed in sieve elements and guard cells. Biology of the Cell 97: 519–534. , , , .
- 1996. seaview and phylo_win: two graphic tools for sequence alignment and molecular phylogeny. Computer Applications in the Biosciences 12: 543–548. , , .
- 1995. Salt tolerance of Hordeum and Brassica species during germination and early seedling growth. Canadian Journal of Plant Science 75: 815–819. , .
- 2000. The role of aquaporins in cellular and whole plant water balance. Biochimica Biophysica Acta 1465: 324–342. , , , , .
- 1990. An intrinsic tonoplast protein of protein storage vacuoles in seeds is structurally related to a bacterial solute transporter (GIpF). Plant Cell 2: 525–532. , , .
- 2000. Molecular cloning of a novel water channel from rice: its products expression in Xenopus oocytes and involvement in chilling tolerance. Plant Science 154: 43–51. , , , .
- 1987. Improved method for the isolation of RNA from plant tissues. Analytical Biochemistry 163: 16–20. , , .
- 2003. Characterization in maize of ZmTIP2–3, a root-specific tonoplast intrinsic protein exhibiting aquaporin activity. Journal of Experimental Botany 55: 539–541. , , , , .
- 2005. Tonoplast intrinsic proteins AtTIP2; 1 and AtTIP2; 3 facilitate NH3 transport into the vacuole. Plant Physiology 137: 671–680. , , , .
- 2005. Aquaporins in a challenging environment: molecular gears for adjusting plant water status. Plant, Cell & Environment 28: 85–96. , .
- 2004. Loss of TIP1-1 aquaporin in Arabidopsis leads to cell and plant death. Plant Journal 40: 845–859. , , , , .
- 1977. Cop salt tolerance –current assessments. Journal of Irrigation and Drain Engineering 103: 115–134. , .
- 2005. CDD: a conserved domain database for protein classification. Nucleic Acids Research 33: D192–D196. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1991. Evolution of the MIP family of integral membrane transport proteins. Molecular Microbiology 5: 33–37. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Overexpression of a Panax ginseng tonoplast aquaporin alters salt tolerance, drought tolerance and cold acclimation ability in transgenic Arabidopsis plants. Planta 226: 729–740. , , , .
- 1998. The effect of pot size on growth and transpiration of maize and soybean during water deficit stress. Journal of Experimental Botany 49: 1381–1386. , .
- 2004. Biomass distribution, maturity acceleration and yield in drought stressed common bean cultivars. Field Crops Research 85: 203–211. , , , , , .
- 1999. Phloem long-distance transport of CmNACP-1 mRNA: implications for supracellular regulation in plants. Development 126: 4505–4519. , , .
- 2002. Molecular Cloning. A laboratory manual 2nd ed. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory CSH, NY, USA. , .
- 1995. Revolutions in rapid amplification of cDNA ends: new strategies for polymerase chain reaction cloning of full-length cDNA ends. Analytical Biochemistry 227: 255–273. .
- 2005. The 4.5 A structure of human AQP2. Journal of Molecular Biology 350: 278–289. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. High resolution AFM topographs of the Escherichia coli water channel aquaporin Z. EMBO Journal 18: 4981–4987. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Marked-Assisted selection to improve drought resistance in common bean. Crop Science 37: 51–60. , , .
- 2003. Molecular responses to drought, salinity and frost: common and different paths for plant protection. Current Opinions in Biotechnology 14: 194–199. , , , .
- 2005. Behaviour of common bean genotypes of Carioca commercial group as ‘rainy bean’ season. Revista de Agricultura 80: 75–86. , , .
- 1995. Selection for water-stress tolerance in interracial populations of common bean. Crop Science 35: 118–124. .
- 2001. Broadening the genetic base of common bean cultivars. Crop Science 41: 1659–1675. .
- 2002. Comparison of sources and lines selected for drought resistance in common bean. Crop Science 42: 64–70. , .
- 1997. The clustal_x windows interface: flexible strategies for multiple sequence alignment aided by quality analysis tools. Nucleic Acids Research 25: 4876–4882. , , , , .
- 2002. Plant aquaporins: multifunctional water and solute channels with expanding roles. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 173–194. , , .
- 2004. Novel regulation of aquaporins during osmotic stress. Plant Physiology 135: 2318–2329. , , , .
- 1990. Water relations of seed development and germination in muskmelon (Cucumis melo L.) III. Sensitivity of germination to water potential and abscisic acid during development. Plant Physiology 92: 1029–1037. , , .
- 1999. Plant ortholog to viral movement protein potentiates transport of mRNA into the phloem. Science 283: 94–98. , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. A family of transcripts encoding water channel proteins: tissue-specific expression in the common ice plant. Plant Cell 7: 1129–1142. , , , , .