Carbon monoxide alleviates cadmium-induced oxidative damage by modulating glutathione metabolism in the roots of Medicago sativa
Article first published online: 20 NOV 2007
© The Authors (2007).
Volume 177, Issue 1, pages 155–166, January 2008
How to Cite
Han, Y., Zhang, J., Chen, X., Gao, Z., Xuan, W., Xu, S., Ding, X. and Shen, W. (2008), Carbon monoxide alleviates cadmium-induced oxidative damage by modulating glutathione metabolism in the roots of Medicago sativa. New Phytologist, 177: 155–166. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2007.02251.x
- Issue published online: 20 NOV 2007
- Article first published online: 20 NOV 2007
- Received: 30 May 2007 Accepted: 9 August 2007
- 1989. Biosynthesis and antioxidant function of glutathione in plants. Physiologia Plantarum 77: 457–464. .
- 2005. Modulation of cadmium-induced oxidative stress in Ceratophyllum demersum by zinc involves ascorbate-glutathione cycle and glutathione metabolism. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 43: 107–116. , .
- 2005. Involvement of heme oxygenase as antioxidant defense in soybean nodules. Free Radical Research 39: 145–151. , , , .
- 2004. A Medicago sativa haem oxygenase gene is preferentially expressed in root nodules. Journal of Experimental Botany 55: 43–47. , , , .
- 1976. A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding. Analytical Biochemistry 72: 248–254. .
- 1999. Lipoxygenase: Occurrence, functions, catalysis, and acquisition of substrate. Journal of Biological Chemistry 274: 23679–23682. .
- 2002. Heme oxygenase-1-derived carbon monoxide requires the activation of transcription factor NF-κB to protect endothelial cells from tumor necrosis factor-α-mediated apoptosis. Journal of Biological Chemistry 277: 17 950–17 961. , , , , , .
- 1995. A comparative analysis of element composition of barley roots and leaves under cadmium-, molybdenum-, nickel- and zinc-stress. Journal of Plant Nutrition 18: 853–868. , .
- 2001. The heme-oxygenase family required for phytochrome chromophore biosynthesis is necessary for proper photomorphogenesis in higher plants. Plant Physiology 126: 656–669. , , , , .
- 1999. The Arabidopsis thaliana HY1 locus, required for phytochrome-chromophore biosynthesis, encodes a protein related to heme oxygenases. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 96: 6541–6546. , , .
- 2002. Weedy adaptation in Setaria spp. V. Effects of gaseous environment on giant foxtail (Setaria faberii) (Poaceae) seed germination. American Journal of Botany 89: 410–416. , .
- 2005. NO news is good news for plants. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 8: 390–396. .
- 1998. Nitric oxide functions as s signal in plant disease resistance. Nature 394: 585–588. , , , .
- 1995. Stress-induced phenylpropanoid metabolism. Plant Cell 7: 1085–1097. , .
- 2003. Carbon monoxide – a ‘new’ gaseous modulator of gene expression. Acta Biochimica Polonica 50: 31–47. , .
- 1994. Photooxidative stress in plants. Physiologia Plantarum 92: 696–717. , , .
- 2006. Carbon monoxide alleviates salt-induced oxidative damage in wheat seedling leaves. Journal of Integrative Plant Biology 48: 249–254. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Water stress-induced abscisic acid accumulation triggers the increased generation of reactive oxygen species and up-regulates the activities of antioxidant enzymes in maize leaves. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 2401–2410. , .
- 1997. Expression of tomato gamma-Glu-Cys synthetase in the Arabidopsis cad2 mutant restores cadmium tolerance. Plant Physiology 114: 126. , , .
- 2004. Cytological changes and alterations in polyamine contents induced by cadmium in tobacco BY-2 cells. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 42: 149–156. , , , , , , .
- 1983. Glutathione and ascorbic acid in spinach (Spinacia oleracea) chloroplasts. Biochemical Journal 210: 899–903. , , .
- 2007. Carbon monoxide counteracts the inhibition of seed germination and alleviates oxidative damage caused by salt stress in Oryza sativa. Plant Science 172: 544–555. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1980. Light-dependent net CO-evolution by C3 and C4 plants. Planta 149: 59–63. , .
- 1996. The function and regulation of glutathione S-transferases in plants. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 47: 127–158. .
- 2006. Carbon monoxide and bilirubin from heme oxygenase-1 suppresses reactive oxygen species generation and plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 induction. Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry 291: 21–28. , , , .
- 1998. Glutathione homeostasis in plants: implications for environmental sensing and plant development. Journal of Experimental Botany 49: 649–667. , , , , .
- 2005. Genotypic variation of the response to cadmium toxicity in Pisum sativum L. Journal of Experimental Botany 56: 167–178. , , , .
- 1995. Smooth muscle cell-derived carbon monoxide is a regulator of vascular cGMP. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 92: 1475–1479. , , , .
- 2002. Expression and biochemical properties of a ferredoxin-dependent heme oxygenase required for phytochrome chromophore synthesis. Plant Physiology 130: 1958–1966. , , , , .
- 1981. Hydrogen peroxide is scavenged by ascorbate-specific peroxidase in spinach chloroplasts. Plant Cell Physiology 22: 867–880. , .
- 2003. Hydrogen peroxide signalling. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 5: 388–395. , , .
- 1998. Simultaneous measurement of foliar glutathione, γ-glutamylcysteine, and amino acids by high-performance liquid chromatography: comparison with two other assay methods for glutathione. Analytical Biochemistry 264: 98–110. , .
- 2004. Heme oxygenase exerts a protective role against oxidative stress in soybean leaves. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 323: 1003–1008. , , , .
- 1993. Activity of enzymes involved in capsaicin biosynthesis in callus tissue and fruits of chili pepper (Capsicum annuum L.). Journal of Plant Physiology 141: 147–152. , .
- 2005. Cellular damage induced by cadmium and mercury in Medicago sativa. Journal of Experimental Botany 56: 2239–2251. , , , , .
- 2003. MKK3 mitogen-activated protein kinase pathway mediates carbon monoxide-induced protection against oxidant-induced lung injury. American Journal of Pathology 163: 2555–2563. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Arabidopsis nonsymbiotic hemoglobin AHb1 modulates nitric oxide bioactivity. Plant Cell 16: 2785–2794. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Biological chemistry of carbon monoxide. Antioxidants and Redox Signaling 4: 259–270. .
- 1989. Inhibition of stomatal opening in sunflower leaves by carbon monoxide, and reversal of inhibition by light. Planta 178: 223–230. , , .
- 1987. Histochemical detection of lipid peroxidation in the liver of bromobenzene-poisoned mice. American Journal of Pathology 129: 295–301. , , , .
- 2006. Heme oxygenase-1/carbon monoxide: From basic science to therapeutic applications. Physiological Reviews 86: 583–650. , , .
- 2002. Plant responses to abiotic stresses: heavy metal-induced oxidative stress and protection by mycorrhization. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 1351–1365. , .
- 1987. Biogenesis of carbon monoxide: production by fungi and seed plants in the dark. Phytochemistry 26: 3117–3119. , .
- 1985. Stimulation of glutathione synthesis in photorespiring plants by catalase inhibitors. Plant Physiology 79: 1044–1047. .
- 1998. Glutathione metabolic genes coordinately respond to heavy metals and jasmonic acid in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 10: 1539–1550. , .
- 2001. The biological functions of glutathione revisited in Arabidopsis transgenic plants with altered glutathione levels. Plant Physiology 126: 564–574. , , , .
- 2006. Carbon monoxide-induced adventitious rooting of hypocotyl cutting from mung bean seedling. Chinese Science Bulletin 51: 668–674. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Lipid peroxidation is an early symptom triggered by aluminum, but not the primary cause of elongation inhibition in pea roots. Plant Physiology 125: 199–208. , , .
- 2006. Heme oxygenase up-regulation in ultraviolet-B irradiated soybean plants involves reactive oxygen species. Planta 224: 1154–1162. , , , .
- 2003. Effects of nitric oxide on the germination of wheat seeds and its reactive oxygen species metabolism under osmotic stress. Acta Botanica Sinica 45: 901–905. , , .
- 1937. Responses of plants to hormone-like substances. Ohio Journal of Science 37: 333–348. .
- 1933. Initiation and stimulation of roots from exposure of plants to carbon monoxide gas. Contributions from Boyce Thompson Institute 5: 1–17. , , .