Changes in tomato ovary transcriptome demonstrate complex hormonal regulation of fruit set
Article first published online: 20 NOV 2007
© The Authors (2007).
Volume 177, Issue 1, pages 60–76, January 2008
How to Cite
Vriezen, W. H., Feron, R., Maretto, F., Keijman, J. and Mariani, C. (2008), Changes in tomato ovary transcriptome demonstrate complex hormonal regulation of fruit set. New Phytologist, 177: 60–76. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2007.02254.x
- Issue published online: 20 NOV 2007
- Article first published online: 20 NOV 2007
- Received: 6 June 2007 Accepted: 12 August 2007
- 1996. Arginase, arginine decarboxylase, ornithine decarboxylase, and polyamines in tomato ovaries: changes in unpollinated ovaries and parthenocarpic fruits induced by auxin or gibberellin. Plant Physiology 112: 1237–1244. , , ,
- 1997. Gapped BLAST and PSI-BLAST: a new generation of protein database search programs. Nucleic Acids Research 25: 3389–3402. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Down-regulation of TM29, a tomato SEPALLATA homolog, causes parthenocarpic fruit development and floral reversion. Plant Physiology 130: 605–617. , , , , .
- 1968. Studies on fruit development. II. Cytokinin activity in extracts from pollinated, auxin- and gibberellin-induced parthenocarpic tomato fruits. Memorandum from the Research Institute of Food Science, Kyoto University 29: 24–54. , , , .
- 2006. The expression of cell proliferation-related genes in early developing flowers is affected by a fruit load reduction in tomato plants. Journal of Experimental Botany 57: 961–970. , , , , , , , .
- 1988. Effects of fruit set sequence and defoliation on cell number, cell size and hormone levels of tomato fruits (Lycopersicon esculentum Mill) within a truss. Plant Growth Regulation 7: 141–155. , .
- 1988. Identification and quantitation of gibberellins in fruits of Lycopersicon esculentum, and their relationship to fruit size in L. esculentum and L. pimpinellifolium. Physiologia Plantarum 73: 348–353. , , , .
- 2000. Identification of neoxanthin synthase as a carotenoid cyclase paralog. European Journal of Biochemistry 267: 6346–6352. , , , , .
- 2002. Analysis of the transcriptome during cell division in plants. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 99: 14825–14830. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1982. Relationship between cell number, cell size and fruit size of seeded fruits of tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum Mill), and those induced parthenocarpically by the application of plant growth regulators. Plant Growth Regulation 1: 143–154. , .
- 1999. Characterization of the ABA deficient mutant notabilis and its relationship with maize Vp14. Plant Journal 17: 447–454. , , , , , .
- 2003. The tomato transcription factor Pti4 regulates defense-related gene expression via GCC box and non-GCC box cis elements. Plant Cell 15: 3033–3050. , , , , , .
- 1995. Cell cycle regulation during growth-dormancy cycles in pea axillary buds. Plant Molecular Biology 29: 255–265. , .
- 2004. The Arabidopsis F-box protein SLEEPY1 targets gibberellin signalling repressors for gibberellin-induced degradation. Plant Cell 16: 1392–1405. , , , , .
- 2000. The gene pat-2, which induces natural parthenocarpy, alters the gibberellin content in unpollinated tomato ovaries. Plant Physiology 122: 471–480. , , .
- 2003. Polyamine metabolism is altered in unpollinated parthenocarpic pat-2 tomato ovaries. Plant Physiology 131: 359–366. , , , , , .
- 2001. Role of gibberellins in parthenocarpic fruit development induced by the genetic system pat-3/pat-4 in tomato. Physiologia Plantarum 111: 545–550. , , , .
- 1984. Parthenocarpy in tomato. Horticultural Reviews 6: 65–84. , , .
- 1993. Fruits: a developmental perspective. Plant Cell 5: 1439–1451. , , .
- 2006. AUXIN RESPONSE FACTOR8 is a negative regulator of fruit initiation in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 18: 1873–1886. , , , .
- 2002. Tomato transcription factors pti4, pti5, and pti6 activate defense responses when expressed in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 14: 817–831. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. How does auxin turn on genes? Plant Physiology 118: 341–347. , , , .
- 1936. Inducement of fruit development by growth promoting chemicals. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 22: 628–636. .
- 1937. Parthenocarpy induced by pollen extracts. American Journal of Botany 24: 102–107. .
- 1939. Auxin distribution in fruits and its significance in fruit development. American Journal of Botany 26: 189–194. .
- 1997. Gibberellin biosynthesis: enzymes, genes and their regulation. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 48: 431–460. , .
- 1968. Observing pollen tubes by means of fluorescence. Euphytica 17: 299–302. , .
- 1997. Protein–protein interactions among the Aux/IAA proteins. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 94: 11786–11791. , , .
- 1994. Characterization of two cDNAs (ERD10 and ERD14) corresponding to genes that respond rapidly to dehydration stress in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant and Cell Physiology 35: 225–231. , , .
- 2004. Abscisic acid induces CBF gene transcription and subsequent induction of cold-regulated genes via the CRT promoter element. Plant Physiology 135: 1710–1717. , , , , .
- 1994. Analysis of gibberellins in growing fruits of Lycopersicon esculentum after pollination or treatment with 4-chlorophenoxyacetic acid. Journal of Horticultural Science 69: 171–179. , , , , , .
- 2004. The Arabidopsis cytochrome P450 CYP707A encodes ABA 8′-hydroxylases: key enzymes in ABA catabolism. EMBO Journal 23: 1647–1656. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Changes in transcriptional profiles are associated with early fruit tissue specialization in tomato. Plant Physiology 139: 750–769. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. The Arabidopsis abscisic acid-insensitive 2 (ABI2) and ABI1 genes encode homologous protein phosphatases 2C involved in abscisic acid signal transduction. Plant Cell 9: 759–771. , , .
- 2000. Regulation of ethylene biosynthesis in response to pollination in tomato flowers. Plant Physiology 123: 971–978. , , .
- 1981. Changes in cytokinin in the fruits of parthenocarpic and normal tomatoes. Plant Science Letters 22: 227–233. .
- 1978. Relationship between set, development and activities of growth regulators in tomato fruits. Plant and Cell Physiology 19: 1281–1288. , , , .
- 1982. A comparative auxin and cytokinin study in normal and to-2 mutant tomato plants. Plant and Cell Physiology 23: 751–757. , .
- 1995. Production of high solids tomatoes through molecular modification of levels of the plant growth regulator cytokinin. Biotechnology 13: 250–254. , , , .
- 2006. The d-type cyclin CYCD3;1 is limiting for the G1-to-S-phase transition in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 18: 893–906. , , , .
- 2001. The ABI1 and ABI2 protein phosphatases 2C act in a negative feedback regulatory loop of the abscisic acid signalling pathway. Plant Journal 25: 295–303. , , , , .
- 2000. The diageotropica mutation alters auxin induction of a subset of the Aux/IAA gene family in tomato. Plant Molecular Biology 44: 73–84. , , .
- 1970. Hormonal factors in growth and development. In: HulmeAC, ed. The biochemistry of fruits and their products. London, UK: Academic Press, 427–472. .
- 1960. Natural growth substances in concord and concord seedless grapes in relation to berry development. American Journal of Botany 47: 566–576. , , , .
- 1995. Ethylene-inducible DNA binding proteins that interact with an ethylene-responsive element. Plant Cell 7: 173–182. , .
- 2006. CYP707A1 and CYP707A2, which encode abscisic acid 8′-hydroxylases, are indispensable for proper control of seed dormancy and germination in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 141: 97–107. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. The Arabidopsis GAI gene defines a signalling pathway that negatively regulates gibberellin responses. Genes and Development 11: 3194–3205. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Regulation of gibberellin biosynthesis genes during flower and early fruit development of tomato. Plant Journal 17: 241–250. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Arabidopsis transcription factors: Genome-wide comparative analysis among eukaryotes. Science 290: 2105–2110. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1999. Cytokinin activation of Arabidopsis cell division through a d-type cyclin. Science 283: 1541–1544. , , , .
- 1998. Hormonal control of parthenocarpic ovary growth by the apical shoot in pea. Plant Physiology 116: 511–518. , .
- 1997. A survey of Venn diagrams. The Electronic Journal of Combinatorics 4: DS#5. .
- 2002. DNA-binding specificity of the ERF/AP2 domain of Arabidopsis DREBs, transcription factors involved in dehydration- and cold-inducible gene expression. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 290: 998–1009. , , , , , .
- 1963. Gibberellin: Effect on diffusible auxin in fruit development. Science 140: 494–495. , .
- 1998. Analysis of cycles of dormancy and growth in pea axillary buds based on mRNA accumulation patterns of cell cycle-related genes. Plant and Cell Physiology 39: 255–262. , .
- 2000. Molecular responses to dehydration and low temperature: differences and cross-talk between two stress signaling pathways. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 3: 217–223. , .
- 1998. The Arabidopsis RGA gene encodes a transcriptional regulator repressing the gibberellin signal transduction pathway. Plant Cell 10: 155–169. , , .
- 2002. Gibberellins are required for seed development and pollen tube growth in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 14: 3133–3147. , , .
- 1982. Induced parthenocarpy: a way of changing the levels of endogenous hormones in tomato fruits (Lycopersicon esculentum Mill). I. Extractable hormones. Plant Growth Regulation 1: 243–251. , .
- 1998. Dormancy-associated gene expression in pea axillary buds. Planta 205: 547–552. , , , .
- 2003. Statistical significance for genome-wide experiments. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 100: 9440–9445. , .
- 1958. Mutanten der Kulturtomate Lycopersicon esculentum Miller II. Genetic Resources and Crop Evolution 6: 89–115. .
- 2002. Sequencing and characterization of tomato genes putatively involved in fruit set and early development. Sexual Plant Reproduction 14: 269–277. , , , , .
- 2004. Complementation of notabilis, an abscisic acid-deficient mutant of tomato: importance of sequence context and utility of partial complementation. Plant, Cell & Environment 27: 459–471. , , , , , .
- 1997. Aux/IAA proteins repress expression of reporter genes containing natural and highly active synthetic auxin response elements. Plant Cell 9: 1963–1971. , , , .
- 2005. The tomato Aux/IAA transcription factor IAA9 is involved in fruit development and leaf morphogenesis. Plant Cell 17: 2676–2692. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. The Pto kinase conferring resistance to tomato bacterial speck disease interacts with proteins that bind a cis-element of pathogenesis-related genes. EMBO Journal 16: 3207–3218. , , .
- 1995. Activation of two osmotin-like protein genes by abiotic stimuli and fungal pathogen in transgenic potato plants. Plant Physiology 108: 929–937. , , .