Mitochondrial morphology transition is an early indicator of subsequent cell death in Arabidopsis
Version of Record online: 6 NOV 2007
© The Authors (2007).
Volume 177, Issue 1, pages 90–101, January 2008
How to Cite
Scott, I. and Logan, D. C. (2008), Mitochondrial morphology transition is an early indicator of subsequent cell death in Arabidopsis. New Phytologist, 177: 90–101. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2007.02255.x
- Issue online: 6 NOV 2007
- Version of Record online: 6 NOV 2007
- Received: 3 August 2007Accepted: 12 August 2007
- 2002. Occurrence and characteristics of the mitochondrial permeability transition in plants. Journal of Biological Chemistry 277: 1780–1787. , , .
- 2001. The PET1-CMS mitochondrial mutation in sunflower is associated with premature programmed cell death and cytochrome c release. Plant Cell 13: 1803–1818. , .
- 1999. Translocation of cytochrome c from the mitochondria to the cytosol occurs during heat-induced programmed cell death in cucumber plants. FEBS Letters 463: 151–154. , , .
- 2002. The oat mitochondrial permeability transition and its implication in victorin binding and induced cell death. Plant Journal 29: 295–312. , .
- 2004. The victorin-induced mitochondrial permeability transition precedes cell shrinkage and biochemical markers of cell death, and shrinkage occurs without loss of membrane integrity. Plant Journal 38: 244–259. , .
- 2001. The role of dynamin-related protein 1, a mediator of mitochondrial fission, in apoptosis. Developmental Cell 1: 515–525. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Scission, spores, and apoptosis: a proposal for the evolutionary origin of mitochondria in cell death induction. Biochemical Biophysical Research Communications 304: 481–486. , , .
- 1985. Free radicals in biology and medicine. Oxford, UK: Clarendon Press. , .
- 2003. Binding site of novel 2-benzylamino-4-methyl-6-trifluoromethyl-1,3,5-triazine herbicides in the D1 protein of Photosystem II. Photosynthesis Research 77: 35–43. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. DRP-1-mediated mitochondrial fragmentation during EGL-1-induced cell death in C. elegans. Nature 433: 754–760. , , , .
- 2004. Harpin inactivates mitochondria in Arabidopsis suspension cells. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 17: 131–139. , .
- 1997. Microassay of superoxide anion scavenging activity in vitro. Environmental Toxicology and Pharmacology 3: 65–68. , , , , .
- 2001. Programmed cell death, mitochondria and the plant hypersensitive response. Nature 411: 848–853. , , .
- 2005. Iron starvation leads to oxidative stress in Anabaena sp. strain PCC 7120. Journal of Bacteriology 187: 6596–6598. , , , , .
- 2006. A role for mitochondrial aquaporins in cellular life-and-death decisions? American Journal of Cell Physiology 291: C195–C202. , .
- 2004. Roles of the mammalian mitochondrial fission and fusion mediators Fis1, Drp1, and Opa1 in apoptosis. Molecular Biology of the Cell 15: 5001–5011. , , , , .
- 1996. Induction of apoptotic program in cell-free extracts: requirement for dATP and cytochrome c. Cell 86: 147–157. , , , , .
- 2006. The mitochondrial compartment. Journal of Experimental Botany 57: 1225–1243. .
- 2000. Mitochondria-targeted GFP highlights the heterogeneity of mitochondrial shape, size and movement within living plant cells. Journal of Experimental Botany 51: 865–871. , .
- 2003. The genetic control of plant mitochondrial morphology and dynamics. Plant Journal 36: 500–509. , , .
- 2004. ADL2a, like ADL2b, is involved in the control of higher plant mitochondrial morphology. Journal of Experimental Botany 55: 783–785. , , .
- 2000. Programmed cell death in cell cultures. Plant Molecular Biology 44: 359–368. , .
- 1997. A programmed cell death pathway activated in carrot cells cultured at low cell density. Plant Journal 12: 267–280. , , , , .
- 2007. Mitochondrial metabolism. In: LoganDC, ed. Plant mitochondria. Oxford, UK: Blackwell, 212–277. , .
- 2005. Mitochondrial morphology and dynamics in yeast and multicellular eukaryotes. Annual Review of Genetics 39: 503–536. , .
- 1995. Mitochondrial bioenergetics is affected by the herbicide paraquat. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1229: 187–192. , , .
- 1999. Mitochondria. New York, NY, USA: Wiley-Liss. .
- 2006. Control of mitochondrial morphology and dynamics in Arabidopsis thaliana. PhD thesis, University of St Andrews, St Andrews, UK. .
- 2006. BIGYIN, an orthologue of human and yeast FIS1 genes functions in the control of mitochondrial size and number in Arabidopsis thaliana. Journal of Experimental Botany 57: 1275–1280. , , .
- 1996. Why are mitochondria involved in apoptosis? Permeability transition pores and apoptosis as selective mechanisms to eliminate superoxide-producing mitochondria and cell. FEBS Letters 397: 7–10. .
- 1996. Spatial structure of mitochondria and ER denotes changes in cell physiology of cultured tobacco protoplasts. Plant Journal 9: 85–92. , .
- 1999. Cytochrome c release and caspase activation during menadione-induced apoptosis in plants. FEBS Letters 462: 317–321. , , , .
- 2002. A custom microarray analysis of gene expression during programmed cell death in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 30: 431–446. , , .
- 1991. Differential regulation of superoxide dismutases in plants exposed to environmental stress. Plant Cell 3: 783–792. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Mitochondrial membrane permeability transition and cell death. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1757: 1297–1300. , , .
- 1982. Mitochondria. New York, NY, USA: Plenum Press. .
- 2004. Production of reactive oxygen species, alteration of cytosolic ascorbate peroxidase, and impairment of mitochondrial metabolism are early events in heat shock-induced programmed cell death in tobacco Bright-Yellow 2 cells. Plant Physiology 134: 1100–1112. , , , , , .
- 2006. Cytochrome c is released in a reactive oxygen species-dependent manner and is degraded via caspase-like proteases in tobacco Bright-Yellow 2 cells en route to heat shock-induced cell death. Plant Physiology 141: 208–219. , , , , , .
- 2004. The mitochondrion – an organelle commonly involved in programmed cell death in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 40: 596–610. , , , .
- 2005. Mitochondrial behaviour in the early stages of ROS stress leading to cell death in Arabidopsis thaliana. Annals of Botany 96: 337–342. , , , , , .
- 2005. Mitochondrial fission in apoptosis. Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology 6: 657–663. , .
- 2005. Regulation of mitochondrial fission and apoptosis by the mitochondrial outer membrane protein hFis1. Journal of Cell Science 118: 4141–4151. , , , .
- 1995. The mitochondrial permeability transition. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1241: 139–176. , .
- 2005. Mitochondrial permeability transitions: how many doors to the house? Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1706: 40–52. , , .
- 2006. Growth and senescence of Medicago truncatula cultured cells are associated with characteristic mitochondrial morphology. New Phytologist 172: 239–247. , , , , .
- 1997. Apaf-1, a human protein homologous to C. elegans CED-4, participates in cytochrome c-dependent activation of caspase-3. Cell 90: 405–413. , , , , .