Pollen limitation and natural selection on floral characters in the yellow monkeyflower, Mimulus guttatus
Article first published online: 15 NOV 2007
© The Authors (2007).
Volume 177, Issue 3, pages 802–810, February 2008
How to Cite
Fishman, L. and Willis, J. H. (2008), Pollen limitation and natural selection on floral characters in the yellow monkeyflower, Mimulus guttatus. New Phytologist, 177: 802–810. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2007.02265.x
- Issue published online: 15 NOV 2007
- Article first published online: 15 NOV 2007
- Received: 25 July 2007Accepted: 22 August 2007
- 2002. Pollinator-mediated selection on flower-tube length in a hawkmoth-pollinated Gladiolus (Iridaceae). Proceedings of the Royal Society – Biological Sciences (Series B) 269: 631–636. , .
- 2004. Corolla morphology facilitates both autogamy and bumblebee pollination in Mimulus guttatus. International Journal of Plant Sciences 165: 1039–1045. , .
- 2004. Pollen limitation of plant reproduction: Ecological and evolutionary causes and consequences. Ecology 85: 2408–2421. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Explaining phenotypic selection on plant attractive characters: Male function, gender balance or ecological context? Proceedings of the Royal Society – Biological Sciences (Series B) 271: 553–559. , .
- 1996. Ecology and evolution of plant mating. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 11: 73–79. , .
- 1994. Bateman's principle and plant reproduction: the role of pollen limitation in fruit and seed set. Botanical Review 60: 81–139. .
- 2005. The evolution of self-compatibility in geographically peripheral populations of Leavenworthia alabamica (Brassicaceae). American Journal of Botany 92: 1503–1512. .
- 1989. Measurements of selection in a hermaphroditic plant: variation in male and female pollination success. Evolution 43: 318–334. .
- 1994. Levels of genetic variation and covariation for Mimulus (Scrophulariaceae) floral traits. Heredity 72: 606–618. , .
- 2000. Competition for pollination influences selection on floral traits of Ipomopsis aggregata. Evolution 54: 1546–1557. .
- 2005. Variation in resource limitation of plant reproduction influences natural selection on floral traits of Asclepias syriaca. Oecologia 146: 68–76. , , .
- 1992. Reproductive assurance mechanisms in three taxa of the Mimulus guttatus complex (Scrophulariaceae). American Journal of Botany 79: 650–659. .
- 1991. Multiple paternity and self-fertilization in relation to floral age in Mimulus guttatus (Scrophulariaceae). American Journal of Botany 78: 1746–1753. , .
- 2003. Reproductive assurance varies with flower size in Collinsia parviflora (Scrophulariaceae). American Journal of Botany 90: 888–896. , .
- 2004. Pollination syndromes and floral specialization. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics 35: 375–403. , , , , .
- 1994. Evidence for natural selection on mating system in Mimulus (Scrophulariaceae). International Journal of Plant Sciences 155: 588–596. , .
- 2001. Resolution of male-female conflict in an hermaphroditic flower. Proceedings of the Royal Society – Biological Sciences (Series B) 268: 525–529. .
- 2000. Pollen discounting and the evolution of selfing in Arenaria uniflora (Caryophyllaceae). Evolution 54: 1558–1565. .
- 2002. Minor quantitative trait loci underlie floral traits associated with mating system divergence in Mimulus. Evolution 56: 2138–2155. , , .
- 2001. Evidence for Dobzhansky-Muller incompatibilities contributing to the sterility of hybrids between Mimulus guttatus and M. nasutus. Evolution 55: 1932–1942. , .
- 2001. Pollen limitation and the evolution of self-compatibility in Linanthus (Polemoniaceae). International Journal of Plant Sciences 162: 1283–1292. .
- 2005. The evolutionary enigma of mixed mating systems in plants: occurrence, theoretical explanations, and empirical evidence. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics 36: 47–79. , , .
- 1995. Mating cost of large floral displays in hermaphrodite plants. Nature 373: 512–515. , .
- 2004. Context-dependent autonomous self-fertilization yields reproductive assurance and mixed mating. Nature 430: 884–887. , , .
- 2003. Inbreeding and the genetic variance in floral traits of Mimulus guttatus. Heredity 90: 77–83. , .
- 2001. Deleterious mutations and genetic variation for flower size in Mimulus guttatus. Evolution 55: 937–942. , .
- 2002. A manipulative experiment to estimate biparental inbreeding in monkeyflowers. International Journal of Plant Sciences 163: 575–579. , .
- 2005. Pollen limitation of plant reproduction pattern and process. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics 36: 467–497. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1983. The measurement of selection on correlated characters. Evolution 37: 1210–1226. , .
- 1979. Some reproductive factors affecting the selection of self-fertilization in plants. American Naturalist 113: 67–79. .
- 2004. Variable selection in Platanthera bifolia (Orchidaceae): Phenotypic selection differed between sex functions in a drought year. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 17: 642–650. , .
- 1987. Regression analysis of natural selection: statistical inference and biological interpretation. Evolution 41: 1149–1161. , .
- 2006. Geographic structure of pollinator communities, reproductive assurance, and the evolution of self-pollination. Ecology 87: 1510–1522. .
- 2005. Ecological context of the evolution of self-pollination in Clarkia xantiana: population size, plant communities, and reproductive assurance. Evolution 59: 786–799. , .
- 2005. Self-fertilization and the escape from pollen limitation in variable pollination environments. Evolution 59: 1143–1148. , .
- 2005. The evolution of self-fertilization and inbreeding depression under pollen discounting and pollen limitation. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 18: 497–508. , .
- 1992. The measurement of selection on quantitative traits: biases due to environmental covariances between traits and fitness. Evolution 46: 616–626. .
- 1994. The quantitative genetics of floral characters in Mimulus guttatus. Heredity 72: 300–311. , , .
- SAS Institute. 2003. JMP User's Guide, version 5.1. Cary, NC, USA: SAS Institute, Inc.
- 1996. Adaptive radiation along genetic lines of least resistance. Evolution 50: 1766–1774. .
- 1999. The distribution of individual inbreeding coefficients and pairwise relatedness in a population of Mimulus guttatus. Heredity 83: 625–632. , , , .
- 2004. No evidence for a role of pollinator discrimination in causing selection on flower size through female reproduction. Oikos 106: 558–564. .
- 2004. Predicting evolution of floral traits associated with mating system in a natural plant population. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 17: 1389–1399. , .
- 2006. Spatio-temporal variation in pollen limitation and reproductive success of two scape morphs in Primula farinosa. New Phytologist 169: 615–621. , , .
- 1978. Case studies in the evolution of species complexes in Mimulus. Evolutionary Biology 11: 405–507. .
- 1990. The causes of natural selection. Evolution 44: 1947–1955. , .
- 1993. Partial self-fertilization and inbreeding depression in two populations of Mimulus guttatus. Heredity 71: 145–154. .
- 1996. Measures of phenotypic selection are biased by partial inbreeding. Evolution 50: 1501–1511. .
- 1999. The role of genes of large effect in inbreeding depression in Mimulus guttatus. Evolution 53: 1678–1691. .