Tree stem phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase (PEPC): lack of biochemical and localization evidence for a C4-like photosynthesis system
Article first published online: 8 NOV 2007
Volume 176, Issue 4, pages 775–781, December 2007
How to Cite
Berveiller, D., Vidal, J., Degrouard, J., Ambard-Bretteville, F., Pierre, J.-N., Jaillard, D. and Damesin, C. (2007), Tree stem phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase (PEPC): lack of biochemical and localization evidence for a C4-like photosynthesis system. New Phytologist, 176: 775–781. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2007.02283.x
- Issue published online: 8 NOV 2007
- Article first published online: 8 NOV 2007
- Received: 10 August 2007; Accepted: 20 September 2007
- 2003. Non-foliar photosynthesis – a strategy of additional carbon acquisition. Flora 198: 81–97. , .
- 2006. Why snowdrop (Galanthus nivalis L.) tepals have green marks? Flora 201: 623–632. , .
- 2005. Photosynthetic performance of vegetative and reproductive structures of green hellebore (Helleborus viridis L. agg.). Photosynthetica 43: 55–64. , , , .
- Carbon assimilation by tree stems: potential involvement of phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase. Trees – Structure and Function. , . (in press).
- 2007. Interspecific variability of stem photosynthesis among tree species. Tree Physiology 27: 53–61. , , .
- 1977. Comparative photosynthesis of sun and shade plants. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 28: 355–377. .
- 1976. A rapid and sensitive method for the quantification of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding. Analytical Biochemistry 72: 248–254. .
- 1993. The plastids of the yew tree (Taxus baccata L.): ultrastructure and immunocytochemical examination of chloroplastic enzymes. Botanica Acta 106: 32–41. , , .
- 2000. Photosynthetic refixation in branches of western pine. Functional Ecology 14: 300–311. , .
- 2003. Respiration and photosynthesis characteristics of current-year stems of Fagus sylvatica: from the seasonal pattern to an annual balance. New Phytologist 158: 465–475. .
- 2006. Chlorophyll distribution pattern in inner stem tissues: evidence from epifluorescence microscopy and reflectance measurements in 20 woody species. Trees – Structure and Function 20: 515–521. , , .
- 1994. The effect of pH on the covalent and metabolic control of C4 phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase from sorghum leaf. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics 315: 425–430. , , , , , , .
- 1996. The light-dependent transduction pathway controlling the regulatory phosphorylation of C4 phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase in protoplasts from Digitaria sanguinalis. Plant Cell 8: 573–586. , , , , , .
- 2005. Metabolite and post-translational control of phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase from leaves and mesophyll cell protoplasts of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Science 169: 1096–1101. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Characteristics of C4 photosynthesis in stems and petioles of C3 flowering plants. Nature 415: 451–454. , .
- 1973. Enzyme activities in wood tissue as affected by different methods of homogenizing. Holzforschung 27: 19–20. .
- 1974. Dark CO2 fixation by cell-free preparations of the wood of Robinia pseudoacacia. Canadian Journal of Botany 52: 727–734. .
- 2006. Characterization of the photosynthetic apparatus in cortical bark chlorenchyma of Scots pine. Planta 223: 1165–1177. , , , , , , , .
- Laemmli UK. 1970. Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature 227: 680–685.
- 1983. The many-faceted function of phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase in C3 plants. Physiologie Végétale 21: 805–815. , .
- 2007. Physiological impacts of modulating phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase levels in leaves and seeds of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Science 172: 265–272. , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase: structure, regulation and evolution. Plant Science 99: 111–124. , , , , .
- 2006. Photosynthetic pigment contents in twigs of 24 woody species assessed by in vivo reflectance spectroscopy indicate low chlorophyll levels but high carotenoid/chlorophyll ratios. Environmental and Experimental Botany 59: 293–298. , .
- 1997. Regulation and localization of key enzymes during the induction of Kranz-less, C4-type photosynthesis in Hydrilla verticillata. Plant Physiology 115: 1681–1689. , , , .
- 1995. Stem photosynthesis: extent, patterns, and role in plant carbon economy. In: GartnerB, eds. Stems and trunks in plant form and function. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 223–240. .
- 1982. Phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase: an enzymlologist's review. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 33: 397–315. .
- 2002. Ecology and ecophysiology of tree stems: corticular and wood photosynthesis. Naturwissenschaften 89: 147–162. , , , , .
- 2006. Chlorophyll distribution in the stems and trunk of beech trees. Acta Physiologiae Plantarum 28: 233–236. , .
- 1986. Ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase activity of Populus tremuloides Michx. bark tissues. Tree Physiology 1: 53–56. , .
- 1969. A low viscosity epoxy resin embedding medium for electron microscopy. Journal of Ultrastructural Research 26: 31–43. .
- 2002. Steps towards an integrated view of nitrogen metabolism. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 959–970. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Vascular tissue in the stem and roots of woody plants can conduct light. Journal of Experimental Botany 54: 1627–1635. , , , .
- 2003. Evolution of C4 phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics 414: 180–188. , , .
- 2001. Kranz anatomy is not essential for terrestrial C4 plant photosynthesis. Nature 414: 543–546. , , , , .
- 2006. Stem CO2 release under illumination: corticular photosynthesis, photorespiration or inhibition of mitochondrial respiration? Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 1149–1158. , , , , , .
- 2005. Light-modulation of corticular CO2-refixation in young birch stems (Betula pendula Roth.). Phyton – Annales Rei Botanicae 45: 195–212. , , .