Altered ecosystem carbon and nitrogen cycles by plant invasion: a meta-analysis
Article first published online: 27 NOV 2007
© The Authors (2007).
Volume 177, Issue 3, pages 706–714, February 2008
How to Cite
Liao, C., Peng, R., Luo, Y., Zhou, X., Wu, X., Fang, C., Chen, J. and Li, B. (2008), Altered ecosystem carbon and nitrogen cycles by plant invasion: a meta-analysis. New Phytologist, 177: 706–714. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2007.02290.x
- Issue published online: 27 NOV 2007
- Article first published online: 27 NOV 2007
- Received: 16 July 2007Accepted: 12 September 2007
- 2004. Rapid nutrient cycling in leaf litter from invasive plants in Hawai’i. Oecologia 141: 612–619. , .
- 1998. Net ecosystem productivity, net primary productivity and ecosystem carbon sequestration in a Pinus radiata plantation subject to soil water deficit. Tree Physiology 18: 785–793. , , , .
- 1999. Leaf construction cost, nutrient concentration, and net CO2 assimilation of native and invasive species in Hawaii. Oecologia 121: 183–192. , .
- 2002. Principles of Terrestrial Ecosystem Ecology. New York, NY, USA: Springer. , , .
- 1999. Long-term ecosystem impacts of an introduced grass in the northern Great Plains. Ecology 80: 2397–2407. , .
- 2001. Photosynthesis, photoinhibition, and nitrogen use efficiency in native and invasive tree ferns in Hawaii. Oecologia 126: 345–354. , .
- 2003. Effects of exotic plant invasions on soil nutrient cycling processes. Ecosystems 6: 503–523. .
- 2001. Changes in soil functions following invasions of exotic understory plants in deciduous forests. Ecological Applications 11: 1287–1300. , , .
- 1998. Effects of invasive, non-indigenous plant species on ecosystem processes: lessons from Florida. Ecological Applications 8: 975–989. .
- 1993. Meta-analysis: Combining the results of independent experiments. In: ScheinerSM, GurevitchJ, eds. Design and analysis of ecological experiments. New York, NY, USA: Chapman & Hall. 378–389. , .
- 1999. Statistical issues in ecological meta-analyses. Ecology 80: 1142–1149. , .
- 1993. Above-ground net primary productivity in adjacent grassland and woodland on the coastal prairie of Texas, USA. Journal of Vegetation Science 4: 521–530. , , .
- 1999. The meta-analysis of response ratios in experimental ecology. Ecology 80: 1150–1156. , , .
- 2001. Biogeochemical changes accompanying woody plant encroachment in a subtropical savanna. Ecology 82: 1999–2011. , , , .
- 1996. Temperature and plant species control over litter decomposition in Alaskan tundra. Ecological Monographs 66: 503–522. .
- 2006. Impacts of Falcataria moluccana invasion on decomposition in Hawaiian lowland wet forests: The importance of stand-level controls. Ecosystems 9: 977–991. , .
- 2002. Ecosystem carbon loss with woody plant invasion of grasslands. Nature 418: 623–626. , , , , .
- 1997. Soil carbon, nutrients, and mycorrhizae during conversion of dry tropical forest to grassland. Ecological Applications 7: 171–182. , .
- 2002. Mechanisms of plant species impacts on ecosystem nitrogen cycling. Ecology Letters 5: 454–466. , , .
- 2004. Influence of shrub encroachment on aboveground net primary productivity and carbon and nitrogen pools in a mesic grassland. Canadian Journal of Botany-Revue Canadienne de Botanique 82: 1363–1370. , , , .
- 2006. A comparison of photosynthetic characteristics between Spartina alterniflora and Phragmites australis under different CO2 concentrations. Acta Ecologica Sinica 26: 842–848. , , .
- 2007. The effects of invasive alien plants on ecosystem carbon and nitrogen cycles. A case study of Spartina alterniflora invasion in the Yangtze estuary and a meta-analysis. PhD Thesis. Shanghai, China: Fudan University. .
- 2006. Elevated CO2 stimulates net accumulations of carbon and nitrogen in land ecosystems: a meta-analysis. Ecology 87: 53–63. , , .
- 2000. Biotic invasions: Causes, epidemiology, global consequences, and control. Ecological Applications 10: 689–710. , , , , , .
- 2001. Land cover change in eastern Kansas: litter dynamics of closed-canopy eastern redcedar forests in tallgrass prairie. Canadian Journal of Botany-Revue Canadienne de Botanique 79: 214–222. , , .
- 1999. Resolving ecological questions through meta-analysis: goals, metrics, and models. Ecology 80: 1105–1117. , , , .
- 1984. Above-ground production and N and P cycling along a nitrogen mineralization gradient on blackhawk island,Wisconsin. Ecology 65: 256–268. , , , .
- 2000. Environmental and economic costs of nonindigenous species in the United States. Bioscience 50: 53–65. , , , .
- 1999. Rapid accumulation and turnover of soil carbon in a re-establishing forest. Nature 400: 56–58. , , , .
- 2004. An exotic tree alters decomposition and nutrient cycling in a Hawaiian montane forest. Ecosystems 7: 805–814. , , .
- 2001. Nitrogen dynamics in perennial- and annual-dominated arid rangeland. Journal of Arid Environments 47: 33–46. , .
- 2004. Nutrient cycling and limitation: Hawaii as a model system. Princeton, NJ, USA: Princeton University Press. .
- 1997. Introduced species: a significant component of human-caused global change. New Zealand Journal of Ecology 21: 1–16. , , , , .
- 1991. Nitrogen limitation on land and in the sea: How can it occur? Biogeochemistry 13: 87–115. , .
- 1989. Biological invasion by Myrica faya. Hawaii – plant demography, nitrogen-fixation, ecosystem effects. Ecological Monographs 59: 247–265. , .
- Plant invasions in China: what is to be expected in the wake of economic development? Bioscience. , . in press.
- 2006. Aboveground productivity and root-shoot allocation differ between native and introduced grass species. Oecologia 150: 300–309. , .
- 2003. Net impact of a plant invasion on nitrogen-cycling processes within a brackish tidal marsh. Ecological Applications 13: 883–896. , .
- 2004. Metal dynamics of plant litter of Spartina alterniflora and Phragmites australis in metal-contaminated salt marshes. Part 1: patterns of decomposition and metal uptake. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 23: 1520–1528. , , .
- 1991. Effects of invasive alien acacias on nutrient cycling in the coastal lowlands of the cape fynbos. Journal of Applied Ecology 28: 1–15. .