Isolate specificity of quantitative trait loci for partial resistance of barley to Puccinia hordei confirmed in mapping populations and near-isogenic lines
Version of Record online: 7 DEC 2007
© The Authors (2007).
Volume 177, Issue 3, pages 743–755, February 2008
How to Cite
Marcel, T. C., Gorguet, B., Ta, M. T., Kohutova, Z., Vels, A. and Niks, R. E. (2008), Isolate specificity of quantitative trait loci for partial resistance of barley to Puccinia hordei confirmed in mapping populations and near-isogenic lines. New Phytologist, 177: 743–755. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2007.02298.x
- Issue online: 7 DEC 2007
- Version of Record online: 7 DEC 2007
- Received: 20 July 2007Accepted: 28 September 2007
- 2003. Isolate-specific QTLs of resistance to leaf stripe (Pyrenophora graminea) in the ‘Steptoe’×‘Morex’ spring barley cross. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 106: 668–675. , ,
- 1998. Chromosomal location and genetic relationship of leaf rust resistance genes Rph9 and Rph12 in barley. Phytopathology 88: 76–80. , , .
- 1997. Polygenic resistance of pepper to potyviruses consists of a combination of isolate-specific and broad-spectrum quantitative trait loci. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 10: 872–878. , ,
- 2003. Comparative analyses of genomic locations and race specificities of loci for quantitative resistance to Pyricularia grisea in rice and barley. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 100: 2544–2549. , , , , ,
- 1996. New sources of resistance to leaf rust in barley. In: SlinkardAE, ScolesGJ, RossnagelBG, eds. Proceedings of the 5th International Oat Conference & 7th International Barley Genetics Symposium. Saskatoon, Canada: University of Saskatchewan, 706–708. , , .
- 1985. Barley leaf rust. In: RoelfsAP, BushnellWR, eds. The cereal rusts, Vol. II. Diseases, distribution, epidemiology, and control. Orlando, FL, USA: Academic Press, 173–205. .
- 2007. Resistance to cereal rusts at the plant cell wall – what can we learn from other host-pathogen systems? Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 58: 476–489. , ,
- 1997. Recommended allele symbols for leaf rust resistance genes in barley. Barley Genetic Newsletter 27: 36–44. , , .
- 2000. Molecular mapping of the leaf rust resistance gene Rph7 in barley. Plant Breeding 119: 389–392. , , , , , .
- 2005 Direct targeting and rapid isolation of BAC clones spanning a defined chromosome region. Functional and Integrative Genomics 5: 97–103. , , , , , , , , ,
- 1995. Enhanced quantitative resistance against fungal disease by combinatorial expression of different barley antifungal proteins in transgenic tobacco. The Plant Journal 8: 97–109. , , , , , , ,
- 1994. Controlling the type I and type II errors in mapping quantitative trait loci. Genetics 138: 871–888. .
- 1994. High resolution of quantitative traits into multiple loci via interval mapping. Genetics 136: 1447–1455. ,
- 1995. Synergistic activity of chitinases and β-1,3-glucanases enhances fungal resistance in transgenic tomato plants. Euphytica 85: 173–180. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Genetic architecture of qualitative and quantitative Melampsora larici-populina leaf rust resistance in hybrid poplar: genetic mapping and QTL detection. New Phytologist 167: 113–127. , , ,
- 2006. Linkage disequilibrium mapping of morphological, resistance, and other agronomically relevant traits in modern spring barley cultivars. Molecular Breeding 17: 41–58. , , , , .
- 1994. Quantitative resistance to Phytophthora infestans in potato: a case study of QTL mapping in an allogamous plant species. Genetics 137: 67–77. , , , , , ,
- 2002. The perspectives of polygenic resistance in breeding for durable disease resistance. Euphytica 124: 217–226.
- Dissection of the barley 2L1.0 region carrying the ‘Laevigatum’quantitative resistance gene to leaf rust using near isogenic lines (NIL) and subNIL. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 20: 1604–1615. , , , , . 2007b.
- 2007a. A high-density consensus map of barley to compare the distribution of QTLs for partial resistance to Puccinia hordei and of defence gene homologues. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 114: 487–500. , , , , , , .
- 1971. A uniform system for recording and processing cereal research data. Washington, DC, USA: USDA Agricultural Research Service, 34–121. , , , , .
- 1989. The abnormal morphology of a very virulent Moroccan isolate belonging or related to Puccinia hordei. Plant Disease 73: 28–31. , ,
- 2000a. Specificity of QTLs for partial and non-host resistance of barley to leaf rust fungi. Acta Phytopathologica et Entomologica Hungarica 35: 13–21. , , , ,
- 2002. Potentially durable resistance mechanisms in plants to specialised fungal pathogens. Euphytica 124: 201–216. ,
- 2000b. Resistance against barley leaf rust (Puccinia hordei) in West-European spring barley germplasm. Agronomie 20: 769–782. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1975. Partial resistance of barley to leaf rust, Puccinia hordei. I. effect of cultivar and development stage on latent period. Euphytica 24: 21–27. .
- 1978. Race-specific aspects of polygenic resistance of barley to leaf rust, Puccinia hordei. Netherlands Journal of Plant Pathology 84: 121–126. .
- 2002. Durability of resistance against fungal, bacterial and viral pathogens; present situation. Euphytica 124: 147–156. .
- 1981. Presence in Morocco of brown rust, Puccinia hordei, with a wide range of virulence to barley. Cereal Rusts and Powdery Mildews Bulletin 9: 3–8. , ,
- 1985. Race specific effects in major genetic and polygenic resistance of barley to barley leaf rust in the field: identification and distribution. Euphytica 34: 689–695. ,
- 1977. The integrated concept of disease resistance: a new view including horizontal and vertical resistance in plants. Euphytica 26: 5–21. , .
- 2002. Plant quantitative traits. In: Encyclopedia of life sciences. Chichester, UK: John Wiley & Sons. doi: 10.1038/npg.els.0002021(http://www.els.net/) , .
- 1999. Isolate-specific QTLs for partial resistance to Puccinia hordei in barley. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 99: 877–884. , , , , ,
- 1998b. Identification of QTLs for partial resistance to leaf rust (Puccinia hordei) in barley. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 96: 1205–1215. , , ,
- 1998a. Use of locus-specific AFLP markers to construct a high-density molecular map in barley. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 96: 376–384. , ,
- 2004. Isolate-specific and broad-spectrum QTLs are involved in the control of clubroot in Brassica oleracea. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 108: 1555–1563. , , , , , , .
- 2006b. Identification of QTLs for powdery mildew and scald resistance in barley. Euphytica 151: 421–429. , , , ,
- 2006a. Identification of a new pathotype of Puccinia hordei with virulence for the resistance gene Rph7. European Journal of Plant Pathology 116: 103–106. , ,
- 2004. Quantitative trait loci analysis suggests that partial resistance to rice blast is mostly determined by race-specific interactions. New Phytologist 162: 197–209. , , .
- 2001. Resistance QTL confirmed through development of QTL-NILs for barley leaf rust resistance. Molecular Breeding 8: 187–195. , , , .
- 1963. Plant disease: epidemics and control. New York, NY, USA: Academic Press. .
- 1968. Disease resistance in plants. New York, NY, USA: Academic Press. .
- 2004. MapQTL® version 5, software for the mapping of quantitative trait loci in experimental populations. Wageningen, the Netherlands: Kyazma BV. .
- 2001. JoinMap® version 3.0, software for the calculation of genetic linkage maps. Wageningen, the Netherlands: Plant Research International. , .
- 1988. New sources of resistance to Puccinia hordei in barley land race cultivars. Phytopathology 78: 905–908. , ,
- 2003. Molecular mapping of the leaf rust resistance gene Rph6 in barley and its linkage relationships with Rph5 and Rph7. Phytopathology 93: 604–609. , , , , .