Height convergence in response to neighbour growth: genotypic differences in the stoloniferous plant Potentilla reptans
Version of Record online: 7 DEC 2007
© The Authors (2007).
Volume 177, Issue 3, pages 688–697, February 2008
How to Cite
Vermeulen, P. J., Anten, N. P. R., Schieving, F., Werger, M. J. A. and During, H. J. (2008), Height convergence in response to neighbour growth: genotypic differences in the stoloniferous plant Potentilla reptans. New Phytologist, 177: 688–697. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2007.02301.x
- Issue online: 7 DEC 2007
- Version of Record online: 7 DEC 2007
- Received: 30 July 2007Accepted: 2 October 2007
- 2005. Effects of mechanical stress and plant density on mechanical characteristics, growth, and lifetime reproduction of tobacco plants. American Naturalist 166: 650–660. , ,
- 1998. Biomass allocation and light partitioning among dominant and subordinate individuals in Xanthium canadense stands. Annals of Botany 82: 665–673. ,
- 1996. Canopy structure and nitrogen distribution in dominant and subordinate plants in a dense stand of Amaranthus dubius L. with a size hierarchy of individuals. Oecologia 105: 30–37. , .
- 1999. Plant–plant signalling, the shade-avoidance response and competition. Journal of Experimental Botany 50: 1629–1634. , , .
- 1999. Keeping up with the neighbours: phytochrome sensing and other signalling mechanisms. Trends in Plant Science 4: 201. .
- 1988. Morphological responses of Datura ferox L. seedlings to the presence of neighbours. Oecologia 76: 288–293. , , , .
- 1997. Phytochrome signalling in plant canopies: testing its population-level implications with photoreceptors mutants of Arabidopsis. Functional Ecology 11: 441–450. , .
- 1994. Signalling among neighboring plants and the development of size inequalities in plant–plant populations. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 91: 10094–10098. , , , .
- 1991. Photocontrol of stem elongation in plant neighbourhoods – effects of photon fluence rate under natural conditions of radiation. Plant, Cell & Environment 14: 57–65. , , .
- 1997. Foraging for light: photosensory ecology and agricultural implications. Plant, Cell & Environment 20: 820–825. , , .
- 2000. Characterizing the size dependence of resource acquisition within crowded plant populations. Ecology 81: 1072–1085. , .
- 2003. Light, phytochrome signalling and photomorphogenesis in Arabidopsis. Photochemical & Photobiological Sciences 2: 625–636. , , , .
- 1988. The loci of perception for phytochrome control of internode growth in light-grown mustard: promotion by low phytochrome photoequilibria in the internode is enhanced by blue light perceived by the leaves. Planta 176: 277–282. ,
- 1995. Genetic differentiation in morphological responses to simulated foliage shade between populations of Impatiens capensis from open and woodland sites. Functional Ecology 9: 655–666. ,
- 1996. Testing the adaptive plasticity hypothesis: density-dependent selection on manipulated stem length in Impatiens capensis. American Naturalist 147: 445–465. ,
- 1984. Canopy structure of Dutch grasslands. PhD thesis. Utrecht, the Netherlands: Utrecht University.
- 1975. Competition and stand structure in some even-aged plant monocultures. The Journal of Ecology 63: 311–333. .
- 1989. Interplay of morphology and development on size inequality: a Polygonum greenhouse study. Ecological Monographs 59: 267–288. .
- 1982. On the adaptive significance of leaf height in forest herbs. American Naturalist 120: 353–381. .
- 1995. Plant stems: biomechanical adaptation for energy capture and influence on species distribution. In: GartnerBL, ed. Plant stems: physiology and functional morphology. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 3–49. .
- 1965. Seedling establishment in vertical gradients of sunlight. Journal of Ecology 53: 621–642. , .
- 2003. Light-acquisition and use of individuals as influenced by elevated CO2 in even-aged monospecific stands of Chenopodium album. Functional Ecology 17: 786–795. , , ,
- 1996. Plasticity of internodes and petioles in prostrate and erect Potentilla species. Functional Ecology 10: 401–409.
- 1997. Shade avoidance in the clonal herb Trifolium fragiferum: a field study with experimentally manipulated vegetation height. Plant Ecology 130: 53–62. ,
- 1985. Tree height and crown shape as result of competitive games. Journal of Theoretical Biology 112: 279–297. , , .
- 2001. Adaptive evolution of plastic foraging responses in a clonal plant. Ecology 82: 3309–3319. ,
- 1999. The response of petioles of Glechoma hederacea to a dynamic light climate. Plant Biology 1: 687–693.
- 1998. The role of petioles in light acquisition by Hydrocotyle vulgaris L. in a vertical light gradient. Oecologia 117: 235–238. , , .
- 2007. The effects of mechanical stress and spectral shading on the growth and allocation of ten genotypes of a stoloniferous plant. Annals of Botany 99: 121–130. , , , .
- 1997. Branch and root formation in Trifolium repens is influenced by the light environment of unfolded leaves. Oecologia 111: 499–504. ,
- 2005. Heukels’ flora van Nederland. Groningen/Houten, the Netherlands: Wolters-Noordhoff bv.
- 1953. Über den Lichtfaktor in den Pflanzengesellschaften und seine Bedeutung für die Stoffproduktion. Japanese Journal of Botany 15: 60–82. ,
- 1999. The processes of height-rank determination among individuals and neighbourhood effects in Chenopodium album L. stands. Annals of Botany 83: 501–507.
- 1995. Relationships between height, diameter and weight distributions of Chenopodium album plants in stands-Effects of dimension and allometry. Annals of Botany 75: 181–188. ,
- 2006. The Janus face of ethylene: growth inhibition and stimulation. Trends in Plant Science 11: 176–183. , , , , .
- 2003. Ethylene is required in tobacco to successfully compete with proximate neighbours. Plant Cell and Environment 26: 1229–1234. , , , .
- 2004. Density-induced plant size reduction and size inequalities in ethylene-sensing and ethylene-insensitive tobacco. Plant Biology 6: 201–205. , , , .
- 1996. The effects of competition on growth and form in Glechoma hederacea. Oikos 75: 279–290. , .
- 1997. Is photomorphogenic shade avoidance adaptive? Perspectives from population biology. Plant Cell and Environment 20: 826–830.
- 1995. A test of the adaptive plasticity hypothesis using transgenic and mutant plants disabled in phytochrome-mediated elongation responses to neighbors. American Naturalist 146: 937–953. , ,
- 1993. Light spectral quality, phytochrome and plant competition. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 8: 47–51. , .
- 1998. Differential effects of light quantity and spectral light quality on growth, morphology, and development of two stoloniferous Potentilla species. Oecologia 117: 1–8. ,
- 2002. A genotypic trade-off between the number and size of clonal offspring in the stoloniferous herb Potentilla reptans. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 15: 880–884. , , .
- 1986. Thigmomorphogenesis: the role of ethylene in the response of Pinus taeda and Abies fraseri to mechanical perturbation. Physiologia Plantarum 66: 227–233. , .
- 1995. Sites of photoperception in white clover. Grass and Forage Science 50: 259–262. .
- 1996. Intergenotypic interactions in plant mixtures. Euphytica 92: 105–119.
- 1976. Photocontrol of petiole elongation in light-grown strawberry plants. Planta 131: 109–114. , , .
- 2006. Shade avoidance in Trifolium repens: costs and benefits of plasticity in petiole length and leaf size. New Phytologist 172: 655–666. , , ,
- 1994. Competition and allometry in Kochia scoparia. Annals of Botany 73: 263–271. ,
- 1992. Competition and allometry in three species of annual plants. Ecology 73: 648–656. , .
- 2002. Light partitioning among species and species replacement in early successional grasslands. Journal of Vegetation Science 13: 615–626. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Density effects on plant height growth and inequality in sunflower populations. Journal of Integrative Plant Biology 48: 513–519. , , ,
- 1995. Foliage profile, size structure and stem diameter-plant height relationship in crowded plant populations. Annals of Botany 76: 271–285. ,