Underwater photosynthesis and respiration in leaves of submerged wetland plants: gas films improve CO2 and O2 exchange
Article first published online: 10 DEC 2007
© The Authors (2007)
Volume 177, Issue 4, pages 918–926, March 2008
How to Cite
Colmer, T. D. and Pedersen, O. (2008), Underwater photosynthesis and respiration in leaves of submerged wetland plants: gas films improve CO2 and O2 exchange. New Phytologist, 177: 918–926. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2007.02318.x
- Issue published online: 10 DEC 2007
- Article first published online: 10 DEC 2007
- Received: 24 September 2007Accepted: 23 October 2007
- 1963. Principles of water repellency. In: MollietJL, ed. Waterproofing and water repellency. Amsterdam: Elsevier, 1–23. .
- 1988. On the relative importance of convective and diffusive gas-flows in plant aeration. New Phytologist 110: 463–468. , , ,
- 1949. Studies on onion roots respiration. I. Velocity of oxygen consumption in different segments of roots at different temperatures as a function of partial pressure of oxygen. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 3: 593–606. , .
- 2006. Micro- and nanoscale characterization of hydrophobic and hydrophilic leaf surfaces. Nanotechnology 17: 2758–2772. , .
- 1997. CO2 and water vapor exchange across leaf cuticle (epidermis) at various water potentials. Plant Physiology 114: 185–191. , , .
- 1997. Patterns of leaf surface wetness for montane and subalpine plants. Plant, Cell & Environment 20: 1–11. , .
- 2003. Species specificity of resistance to oxygen diffusion in thin cuticular membranes from amphibious plants. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 561–569. , ,
- 2007. Resistance to CO2 diffusion in cuticular membranes of amphibious plants and the implication for CO2 acquisition. Plant, Cell & Environment 30: 12–18. ,
- 1976. Mathematical formulation of the relationship between photosynthesis and light for phytoplankton. Limnology and Oceanography 21: 540–547. ,
- 1989. Photosynthesis and photorespiration in freshwater organisms: amphibious plants. Aquatic Botany 34: 267–286. , .
- 1991. Photosynthesis carbon assimilation in aquatic macrophytes. Aquatic Botany 41: 5–40. ,
- 2006. Photosynthetic consequences of phenotypic plasticity in response to submergence: Rumex palustris as a case study. Journal of Experimental Botany 57: 283–290. , , .
- 2005. Submergence-induced morphological, anatomical, and biochemical responses in a terrestrial species affect gas diffusion resistance and photosynthetic performance. Plant Physiology 139: 497–508. , , , , .
- 2005. Underwater photosynthesis in flooded terrestrial plants: a matter of leaf plasticity. Annals of Botany 96: 581–589. , .
- 2007. Submergence-induced leaf acclimation in terrestrial species varying in flooding tolerance. New Phytologist 176: 337–345. , , , ,
- 1997. Characterization and distribution of water-repellent, self-cleaning plant surfaces. Annals of Botany 79: 667–677. ,
- 2006. Oxygen dynamics during submergence in the halophytic stem succulent Halosarcia pergranulata. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 1388–1399. , , .
- 1983. How does deep water rice solve its aeration problem? Plant Physiology 72: 447–454. ,
- 1983. A method for measuring leaf volume, density, thickness, and internal gas volume. HortScience 18: 698–699.
- 1985. Uptake of CO2 by aquatic vegetation. Plant, Cell & Environment 8: 417–425. , , .
- 1989. Environmental variables and their effect on photosynthesis of aquatic plant communities. General features of aquatic photosynthesis. Aquatic Botany 34: 5–25.
- 1992. Photosynthetic use of inorganic carbon among primary and secondary water plants in streams. Freshwater Biology 27: 283–293. , , .
- 2005. Contrasting oxygen dynamics in the freshwater isotid Lobelia dortmanna and the marine seagrass Zostera marina. Annals of Botany 96: 613–623. , , ,
- 1989. Submergence of rice. I. Growth and photosynthetic response to CO2 enrichment of floodwater. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 16: 251–263. , , , ,
- 1985. Laboratory culture of submersed freshwater macophytes on natural sediments. Aquatic Botany 21: 251–263. , .
- 1989. Adaptive relationship between leaf water repellency, stomatal distribution, and gas exchange. American Journal of Botany 76: 465–469. , .
- 1996. Aquatic chemistry, 3rd edn. New York: John Wiley & Sons. , .
- 1990. Aerenchyma formation and associated oxygen movement in seminal and nodal roots of wheat. Plant, Cell & Environment 13: 395–403. , , ,
- 2007. How plants cope with complete submergence. New Phytologist 170: 213–226. , , , , .
- 2006. Living in a physical world VIII. Gravity and life in water. Journal of Biosciences 31: 309–322.
- 2003. Quantitative assessment to the structural basis of water repellency in natural and technical surfaces. Journal of Experimental Botany 54: 1295–1303. , , ,
- 1989. Diurnal changes in radial oxygen loss and ethanol metabolism in roots of submerged and nonsubmerged rice seedlings. New Phytologist 113: 439–451. , , , , , ,
- 1994. The spectral determination of chlorophylls a and b, as well as total carotenoids, using various solvents with spectrophotometers of different resolution. Journal of Plant Physiology 144: 307–313. .