Can you believe what you see? Reconciling minirhizotron and isotopically derived estimates of fine root longevity
Article first published online: 19 DEC 2007
© The Authors (2007).
Volume 177, Issue 2, pages 287–291, January 2008
How to Cite
Pritchard, S. G. and Strand, A. E. (2008), Can you believe what you see? Reconciling minirhizotron and isotopically derived estimates of fine root longevity. New Phytologist, 177: 287–291. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2007.02335.x
- Issue published online: 19 DEC 2007
- Article first published online: 19 DEC 2007
- 2000. Building roots in a changing environment: implications for root longevity. New Phytologist 147: 33–42. , , , .
- 2001. The age of fine-root carbon in three forests of the eastern United States measured by radiocarbon. Oecologia 129: 420–429. , , , , , .
- 2000. Global patterns of root turnover for terrestrial ecosystems. New Phytologist 147: 13–31. , .
- 2007. Fine root heterogeneity by branch order: exploring the discrepancy in root turnover estimates between minirhizotron and carbon isotopic methods. New Phytologist 177: 443–456. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Fine root branch orders respond differently to carbon source–sink manipulations in a longleaf pine forest. Oecologia 140: 450–457. , , .
- 2005. Assessing the patterns and controls of fine root dynamics: an empirical test and methodological review. Journal of Ecology 94: 40–57. , , , , ,
- 2007. Heterogeneity of individual roots within the fine root architecture: causal links between physiological and ecosystem functions. Journal of Forest Research 12: 126–133.
- 1997. A global budget for fine root biomass, surface area, and nutrient contents. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 94: 7362–7366. , ,
- 2005. Quantifying root lateral distribution and turnover using pine trees with a distinct stable carbon isotope signature. Functional Ecology 19: 81–87. , ,
- 2006. Fine-root turnover patterns and their relationship to root diameter and soil depth in a 14C–labeled hardwood forest. New Phytologist 172: 523–535. , , , , .
- 2003. Uncertainties in interpretation of isotope signals for estimating fine root longevity: theoretical considerations. Global Change Biology 9: 1118–1129.
- 2004. Comment on ‘impacts of fine root turnover on forest NPP and soil carbon sequestration potential.’ Science 304: 945c. , ,
- 2005. Measuring fine root turnover in forest ecosystems. Plant and Soil 276: 1–8. , , , , .
- 2003. Impacts of fine root turnover on forest NPP and soil C sequestration potential. Science 302: 1385–1387. , , , , .
- 2000. Effects of elevated atmospheric CO2 on fine root production and activity in an intact temperate forest ecosystem. Global Change Biology 6: 967–979. , .
- 2007. Method for extracting plant roots from soil which facilitates rapid sample processing without compromising measurement accuracy. New Phytologist 174: 697–703. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. The potential effects of nitrogen deposition on fine-root production in forest ecosystems. New Phytologist 147: 131–139. .
- 2000. Root dynamics and global change: seeking an ecosystem perspective. New Phytologist 147: 3–12. , .
- 2005. Conventional detection methodology is limiting our ability to understand the roles and functions of fine roots. New Phytologist 166: 967–980. , ,
- 2002. Fine root architecture of nine North American trees. Ecological Monographs 72: 293–309. , , , , , .
- 2002. Fine root turnover in a northern hardwood forest: a direct comparision of the radiocarbon and minirhizotron methods. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 32: 1692–1697. , .
- 2005. Linking leaf and root trait syndromes among 39 grassland and savannah species. New Phytologist 167: 493–508. , , , ,
- 2006. Dynamics of fine root carbon in Amazonian tropical ecosystems and the contribution of roots to soil respiration. Global Change Biology 12: 217–229. , , , , , , ,
- 2003. The secret lives of roots. Science 302: 1344–1345. , .
- 1998. Analysis of some direct and indirect methods for estimating root biomass and production of forests at an ecosystem level. Plant and Soil 200: 71–79. , ,
- 2002. Changes in the risk of fine-root mortality with age: a case study in peach, Prunus persica (Rosaceae). American Journal of Botany 89: 79–87. , , .
- 2007. Automatic discrimination of fine roots in minirhizotron images. New Phytologist 177: 549–557. , , .