Evolutionary significance of a flat-leaved Pinus in Vietnamese rainforest
Version of Record online: 7 JAN 2008
© The Authors (2008).
Volume 178, Issue 1, pages 201–209, April 2008
How to Cite
Brodribb, T. J. and Feild, T. S. (2008), Evolutionary significance of a flat-leaved Pinus in Vietnamese rainforest. New Phytologist, 178: 201–209. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2007.02338.x
- Issue online: 7 JAN 2008
- Version of Record online: 7 JAN 2008
- Received: 19 September 2007Accepted: 11 November 2007
- 1996. Determination of the quantum efficiency of photosystem II and non-photochemical quenching of chlorophyll fluorescence in the field. Oecologia 102: 425–432. , ,
- 1987. Photon yield of O2 evolution and chlorophyll fluorescence characteristics at 77K among vascular plants of diverse origins. Planta 170: 489–504. ,
- 1989. The tortoise and the hare: ecology of angiosperm dominance and gymnosperm persistence. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 36: 227–249. .
- 2000. Stem hydraulic supply is linked to leaf photosynthetic capacity: evidence from New Caledonian and Tasmanian rainforests. Plant, Cell & Environment 23: 1381–1388. , .
- 2007. Leaf maximum photosynthetic rate and venation are linked by hydraulics. Plant Physiology 144: 1890–1898. , ,
- 1997. The light response characteristics of morphologically diverse group of southern hemisphere conifers. Oecologia 110: 10–17. , .
- 2004. The rise and fall of the Podocarpaceae in Australia – a physiological explanation. In: HemsleyAR, PooleI, eds. The evolution of plant physiology. London, UK: Academic Press, 379–381. , .
- 2003. Stomatal closure during leaf dehydration, correlation with other leaf physiological traits. Plant Physiology 132: 2166–2173. , .
- 2006. Declining hydraulic efficiency as transpiring leaves desiccate: two types of response. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 2205–2215. , .
- 2005. Leaf hydraulic capacity in ferns, conifers and angiosperms: impacts on photosynthetic maxima. New Phytologist 165: 839–846. , , ,
- 1951. A flat-leaved pine from Annan, Indo-China. American Journal of Botany 38: 157–244. .
- 1948. A taxonomic revision of the genus Podocarpus. I. The sections of the genus and their divisions with respect to leaf anatomy. Journal of the Arnold Arboretum 29: 49–63. , .
- 1947. Tertiary centers and migration routes. Ecological Monographs 17: 139–148.
- 2007. Putative role of aquaporins in variable hydraulic conductance of leaves in response to light. Plant Physiology 143: 122–133. , , , , , , ,
- 2001. Range shifts and adaptive responses to Quaternery climate change. Science: 673–679. ,
- 1991. Limitations of photosynthesis in Pinus taeda L. (Loblolly Pine) at low soil temperatures. Plant Physiology 96: 1246–1254. , ,
- 1991. Influence of male and female cones on needle CO2 exchange rates of field-grown Pinus contorta doug. Trees. Functional Ecology 5: 422–432. , , .
- 2006. Phylogeny, historical biogeography, and patterns of diversification for Pinus (Pinaceae): phylogenetic tests of fossil-based hypotheses. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 40: 166–182. ,
- 1995. Ecology of the southern conifers. Melbourne, Australia: Melbourne University Press. ,
- 1997. Pinus (Pinaceae). In: Flora Neotropica Monograph 75. New York, NY, USA: New York Botanical Gardens. ,
- 1963. The distribution of conifer and taxad genera in time and space. Acta Horti Bergiani 20: 121–312.
- 1989. The relationship between the quantum yield of photosynthetic electron transport and quenching of chlorophyll fluorescence. Biochimica Biophysica Acta 990: 87–92. , , .
- 1993. Canopy dynamics and aboveground production of five tree species with different leaf longevities. Tree Physiology 12: 327–345. , ,
- 1957. Folar ontogeny of Podocarpus macrophyllus with special reference to transfusion tissue. American Journal of Botany 44: 705–715. .
- 2002. Toward a causal explanation of plant invasiveness: seedling growth and life-history strategies of 29 pine (Pinus) species. American Naturalist 159: 396–419. , ,
- 1999. Southern conifers in time and space. Australian Journal of Botany 47: 639–696. , .
- 2001. Stomatal conductance and photosynthesis vary linearly with plant hydraulic conductance in ponderosa pine. Plant, Cell & Environment 24: 113–121. , , , .
- 2000. Cuticle micromorphology of Pinus krempfii Lecomte (Pinaceae) and additional species from South-East Asia. International Journal of Plant Sciences 161: 301–317.
- 2000. Effects of season, needle age and elevated CO2 on photosynthesis in Scots pine. Tree Physiology 20: 145–157. ,
- 2003. Growth nutrition photosynthesis and transpitarion responses of longleaf pine seedlings to light, water and nitrogen. Forest Ecology and Management 180: 335–344. , ,
- 1999. Analysis of gas exchange of Merkus pine populations by the optimality approach. Tree Physiology 19: 511–518. , ,
- 1990. Correlates of leaf optical properties in tropical forest sun and extreme-shade plants. American Journal of Botany 77: 370–380. , , ,
- 2003. Photosynthetic differences contribute to competitive advantage of evergreen angiosperm trees over evergreen conifers in productive habitats. New Phytologist 160: 329–336. , , .
- 1998. Early evolution of pines. In: RichardsonDM, ed. Ecology and biogeography of pinus. Cambridge, MA, USA: Cambridge University Press, 69–91. .
- 1967. The genus Pinus. New York, NY, USA: Ronald Press.
- 2004. Conifers of Vietnam. Hanoi, Vietnam: World Publishing House. ,
- 2003. Gas exchange characteristics of Pinus canariensis needles in a forest stand on Tenerife, Canary Islands. Tree Physiology 17: 492–500. , ,
- 2006. Mechanical reinforcement of tracheids compromises the hydraulic efficiency of conifer xylem. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 1618–1628. , , , ,
- RichardsonDM, RundelP, eds. 1998. Ecology and biogeography of Pinus: an introduction. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- 2001. A new species of Pityostrobus from the lower cretaceous of California and its bearing on the evolution of pinaceae. International Journal of Plant Sciences 162: 669–681. ,
- 1994. Mesozoic Araucariaceae: morphology and systematic relationships. Journal of Plant Research 107: 493–502.
- 1995. Limitations to net photosynthesis as affected by nitrogen status in jack pine (Pinus banksiana Lamb.) seedlings. Journal of Experimental Botany 46: 407–413. ,
- 1994. Photosynthesis and carbon gain by pines. Ecological Bulletins 43: 35–49. , ,
- 1998. Photosynthetic acclimation to long-term exposure to elevated CO2 concentration in Pinus radiata is related to age of needles. Plant, Cell & Environment 21: 1019–1028. , , , ,
- 2000. The phylogenetic position of the endemic flat-needle pine, Pinus krempfii (Pinaceae) from Vietnam, based on PCR-RFLP analysis of chloroplast DNA. Plant Systematics and Evolution 220: 21–36. , ,
- 2000. Trade-offs between the persistence of foliage and productivity in two Pinus species. Oecologia 124: 487–494. ,
- 2001. Relationship between intercepted radiation, net photosynthesis, respiration, and rate of stem volume growth of Pinus taeda and Pinus elliottii stands of different densities. Forest Ecology and Management 154: 155–163. , , , ,
- 2006. Fossil calibration of molecular divergence infers a moderate mutation rate and recent radiations for Pinus. Molecular Biology and Evolution 24: 90–101. , , , ,
- 1995. Variation in carbon isotope discrimination and photosynthestic gas exchange among populations of Pseudotsuga menziesii and Pinus ponderosa in different environments. Functional Ecology 9: 402–412. ,