Oxygen dynamics in submerged rice (Oryza sativa)
Article first published online: 31 JAN 2008
© The Authors (2008)
Volume 178, Issue 2, pages 326–334, April 2008
How to Cite
Colmer, T. D. and Pedersen, O. (2008), Oxygen dynamics in submerged rice (Oryza sativa). New Phytologist, 178: 326–334. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2007.02364.x
- Issue published online: 31 JAN 2008
- Article first published online: 31 JAN 2008
- Received: 16 October 2007Accepted: 10 December 2007
- 1999. Phragmites australis: effects of shoot submergence on seedling growth and survival and radial oxygen loss from roots. Aquatic Botany 64: 275–289. , , ,
- 2005. Rice: sulphide-induced barriers to root radial oxygen loss, Fe2+ and water uptake, and lateral root emergence. Annals of Botany 96: 625–638. ,
- 1971. Radial oxygen losses from intact rice roots as affected by distance from the apex, respiration, and waterlogging. Physiologia Plantarum 25: 192–197.
- 1979. Aeration in higher plants. Advances in Botanical Research 7: 225–332.
- 1985. A critical oxygen pressure for root extension in rice. Journal of Experimental Botany 36: 1573–1582. ,
- 1988. On the relative importance of convective and diffusive gas-flows in plant aeration. New Phytologist 110: 463–468. , , ,
- 2005. The potential role of plant oxygen and sulphide dynamics in die-off events of the tropical seagrass, Thalassia testudinum. Journal of Ecology 93: 148–158. , , , , , , .
- 1981. Observations on the root anatomy of rice (Oryza sativa L.). American Journal of Botany 68: 154–61. , .
- 2003a. Long-distance transport of gases in plants: a perspective on internal aeration and radial oxygen loss from roots. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 17–36. .
- 2003b. Aerenchyma and an inducible barrier to radial oxygen loss facilitate root aeration in upland, paddy and deep-water rice (Oryza sativa L.). Annals of Botany 91: 301–309. .
- 2003. Meristematic oxygen variability in eelgrass (Zostera marina L.). Limnology and Oceanography 48: 210–216. , ,
- 1977. Adaption to photosynthesis and diurnal oscillation of root respiration rates for Lolium multiflorum. Physiologia Plantarum 39: 275–279. .
- 1999. Formation of aerenchyma and the processes of plant ventilation in relation to soil flooding and submergence. Plant Biology 1: 274–287. ,
- 2003. Physiological and molecular basis of susceptibility and tolerance of rice plants to complete submergence. Annals of Botany 91: 227–241. , .
- 1991. Studies of Elodea nuttallii grown under photorespiratory conditions. I. Photosynthetic characteristics. Plant, Cell & Environment 14: 147–156. , , .
- 1959. Development of the shoot of Oryza sativa L. II. Leaf histogenesis. Phytomorphology 9: 277–311. .
- 2004. Acclimation of a terrestrial plant to submergence facilitates gas exchange under water. Plant, Cell & Environment 27, 1281–1287. , , .
- 2006. Oxygen dynamics during submergence in the halophytic stem succulent Halosarcia pergranulata. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 1388–1399. , , .
- 1983. A method for measuring leaf volume, density, thickness, and internal gas volume. HortScience 18: 698–699.
- 1983. How does deep water rice solve its aeration problem. Plant Physiology 72: 447–454. ,
- 1989. An oxygen microsensor with a guard cathode. Limnology and Oceanography 34: 474–478. .
- 1999. Microsensor analysis of oxygen and pH in the rice rhizosphere under field and laboratory conditions. Biology and Fertility of Soils 29: 379–385. , , ,
- 2000. The role of oxygen in submergence-induced petiole elongation in Rumex palustris: in situ measurements of oxygen in petioles of intact plants using micro-electrodes. New Phytologist 147: 497–504. , , , , .
- 1980. Soluble sugars, respiration, and energy charge during aging of excised maize root tips. Plant Physiology 66: 516–519. ,
- 2005. Contrasting oxygen dynamics in the freshwater isoetid Lobelia dortmanna and the marine seagrass Zostera marina. Annals of Botany 96: 613–623. , , ,
- 2006. Physiological basis of submergence tolerance in rice and implications for crop improvement. Current Science 91: 899–906. , , , .
- 1989b. Submergence of rice. II. Adverse effects of low CO2 concentrations. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 16: 265–278. , ,
- 1987a. Concentrations of CO2 and O2 in floodwater and in internodal lacunae of floating rice growing at 1–2 metre water depths. Plant, Cell & Environment 10: 767–776. , , , , ,
- 1987b. Carbohydrate status of terrestrial plants during flooding. In: CrawfordRMM, ed. Plant life in aquatic and amphibious habitats, Special Publication No. 5 British Ecological Society. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Scientific Publications, pp. 411–433. , , , ,
- 1989a. Submergence of rice. I. Growth and photosynthetic response to CO2 enrichment of floodwater. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 16: 251–263. , , , ,
- 1987. Oxygen transport in the submerged freshwater macrophytes Egeria densa Planch. I. Oxygen production, storage and release. Aquatic Botany 28: 63–80. , .
- 1996. Aquatic chemistry, 3rd edn. New York, NY, USA: John Wiley. , .
- 1989. Gas composition in the internal air spaces of deepwater rice in relation to growth induced by submergence. Plant Cell Physiology 30, 49–56. ,
- 1990. Aerenchyma formation and associated oxygen movement in seminal and nodal roots of wheat. Plant, Cell & Environment 13: 395–403. , , ,
- 2006. How plants cope with complete submergence. New Phytologist 170: 213–226. , , , , .
- 1989. Diurnal changes in radial oxygen loss and ethanol metabolism in roots of submerged and non-submerged rice seedlings. New Phytologist 113: 439–451. , , , , , ,
- 1997. The use of agar nutrient solution to simulate lack of convection in waterlogged soils. Annals of Botany 80: 115–123. , , .
- 2006. Sub1A is an ethylene-response-factor-like gene that confers submergence tolerance to rice. Nature 442: 705–708. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1954. The estimation of carbohydrates in plant extracts by anthrone. Biochemical Journal 57: 508–514. ,
- 1995. Improving sustainable productivity in rice-based rainfed lowland systems of south and southeast Asia. GeoJournal 35: 307–324. , .