Influencing the binding configuration of sucrose in the active sites of chicory fructan 1-exohydrolase and sugar beet fructan 6-exohydrolase
Article first published online: 4 MAR 2008
© The Authors (2008). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 178, Issue 3, pages 572–580, May 2008
How to Cite
Le Roy, K., Lammens, W., Van Laere, A. and Van den Ende, W. (2008), Influencing the binding configuration of sucrose in the active sites of chicory fructan 1-exohydrolase and sugar beet fructan 6-exohydrolase. New Phytologist, 178: 572–580. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02386.x
- Issue published online: 4 MAR 2008
- Article first published online: 4 MAR 2008
- Received: 12 October 2007Accepted: 7 January 2008
- 2004. Fructan metabolizing enzymes in rhizophores of Vernonia herbacea upon excision of aerial organs. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 42: 313–319. , .
- 2005. Arabidopsis AtcwINV3 and 6 are not invertases but are fructan exohydrolases (FEHs) with different substrate specificities. Plant, Cell & Environment 28: 432–443. , , , , , , , ,
- 1999. Purification and properties of a second fructan exohydrolase from the roots of Cichorium intybus L. Physiologia Plantarum 106: 28–34. , , , ,
- 2002. The PyMOL molecular graphics system. San Carlos, CA, USA: Delano Scientific, http://www.pymol.org . .
- 1993. The origin, distribution and evolutionary significance of fructans. In: SuzukiM, ChattertonNJ, eds. Science and technology of fructans. Boca Raton, FL, USA: CRC Press, 119–139. , .
- 1997. Structural and sequence-based classification of glycoside hydrolases. Current Opinion in Structural Biology 7: 637–644. ,
- 1993. Production and isolation of levan by use of levansucrase immobilized on the ceramic support SM-10. Bioscience, Biotechnology & Biochemistry 57: 322–324. , , ,
- 2005. Molecular cloning and functional analysis of a novel 6&1-FEH from wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) preferentially degrading small branched graminans like bifurcose. Gene 358: 93–101. , ,
- 1996. Carbohydrate-modulated gene expression in plants. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 47: 509–540. .
- 2006. Molecular and functional characterization of a cDNA encoding fructan:fructan 6G-fructosyltransferase (6G-FFT)/fructan:fructan 1-fructosyltransferase (1-FFT) from perennial ryegrass (Lolium perenne L.). Journal of Experimental Botany 57: 2719–2734. , , , , , , , ,
- 2007b. Unraveling the difference between invertases and fructan exohydrolases: a single amino acid (Asp-239) substitution transforms Arabidopsis cell wall invertase1 into a fructan 1-exohydrolase. Plant Physiology 145: 616–625. , , , , , ,
- 2007a. N-glycosylation affects substrate specificity in chicory 1-FEH IIa: evidence for the presence of an inulin binding cleft. New Phytologist 176: 317–324. , , , , ,
- 1993. Nomenclature and diagrammatic representation of oligomeric fructans – a paper for discussion. New Phytologist 124: 583–594.
- 2007. Cloning, gene mapping, and functional analysis of a fructan 1-exohydrolase (1-FEH) from Lolium perenne implicated in fructan synthesis rather than in fructan mobilization. Journal of Experimental Botany 58: 1969–1983. , , , , , , ,
- 2003. Structural framework of fructosyltransfer in Bacillus subtilis levansucrase. Nature Structural Biology 10: 935–941. ,
- 2001. Roles of the fructans from leaf sheats and from the elongating leaf bases in the regrowth following defoliation of Lolium perenne L. Planta 213: 109–120. , , , .
- 1998. All three surface tryptophans in type IIa cellulose binding domains play a pivotal role in binding of both soluble and insoluble ligands. FEBS Letters 429: 312–316. , , , , ,
- 2001. β-fructosidase superfamily: homology with some α-l-arabinases and β-d-xylanases. Proteins 42: 66–76. .
- 1996. Studies on identifying the catalytic role of Glu-204 in the active site of yeast invertase. Journal of Biological Chemistry 271: 13953–13957. ,
- 1990. Identification of an active-site residue in yeast invertase by affinity labeling and site-directed mutagenesis. Journal of Biological Chemistry 265: 10817–10820. ,
- 1977. Rapid, sensitive and versatile assay for protein using Coomassie Brilliant Blue G250. Analytical Biochemistry 79: 544–552. , .
- 1989. Properties of fructosyltransferases involved in the synthesis of fructan in Liliaceous plants. Journal of Plant Physiology 134: 151–155.
- 2003a. Fructan 1-exohydrolases. β (2,1) trimmers during graminan biosynthesis stems of wheat? Purification, characterization, mass mapping and cloning of two fructan 1-exohydrolase isoforms. Plant Physiology 131: 621–631. , , , , , ,
- 2003b. Unexpected presence of fructan exohydrolases (6-FEHs) in non-fructan plants: characterization, cloning, mass mapping and functional analysis of a novel ‘cell-wall invertase-like’ specific 6-FEH from sugar beet (Beta vulgaris L.). Plant Journal 36: 697–710. , , , ,
- 2004. Plant fructan exohydrolases: a role in signaling and defense? TRENDS in Plant Science 9: 523–528. , ,
- 2000. Cloning and functional analysis of chicory root fructan 1-exohydrolase I (1-FEH I): a vacuolar enzyme derived from a cell-wall invertase ancestor? Mass fingerprint of the 1-FEH I enzyme. Plant Journal 24: 447–456. , , , ,
- 2001. Defoliation induces fructan 1-exohydrolase II in witloof chicory roots. Cloning and purification of two isoforms, fructan 1-exohydrolase IIa and fructan 1-exohydrolase IIb. Mass fingerprint of the fructan exohydrolase II enzymes. Plant Physiology 126: 1186–1195. , , , , ,
- 1996. Fructan synthesizing and degrading activities in chicory roots (Cichorium intybus L.) during growth, storage and forcing. Journal of Plant Physiology 149: 43–50. ,
- 2001. Hydrophobic amino acid residues in the acceptor binding site are main determinants for reaction mechanism and specificity of cyclodextrin-glycosyltransferase. Journal of Biological Chemistry 276: 44557–44562. , , , , ,
- 2002. Inulin metabolism in dicots: chicory as a model system. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 803–813. ,
- 2006. Purification, cloning and functional characterization of a fructan 6-exohydrolase from wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Journal of Experimental Botany 57: 213–223. , , , , ,
- 1983. Microbial inulinases: fermentation process, properties, and applications. Advances in Applied Microbiology 29: 139–176. , .
- 2007. Insights into the fine architecture of the active site of chicory fructan 1-exohydrolase: 1-kestose as substrate vs sucrose as inhibitor. New Phytologist 174: 90–100. , , , , , ,
- 2006. X-ray diffraction structure of a cell wall invertase from Arabidopsis thaliana. Acta Crystallographica Section D 62: 1555–1563. , , , , , ,
- 2005. X-ray diffraction structure of a plant glycosyl hydrolase family 32 protein: fructan 1-exohydrolase IIa of Cichorium intybus. Plant Journal 41: 400–411. , , , , ,
- 2004. Crystallization and preliminary X-ray diffraction study of fructan 1-exohydrolase from Cichorium intybus. Acta Crystallographica Section D 60: 553–554. , , , , , , , ,
- 1999. Fructan: more than a reserve carbohydrate? Plant Physiology 120: 351–359. ,