Physiology–phenology interactions in a productive semi-arid pine forest
Article first published online: 6 MAR 2008
© The Authors (2008). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 178, Issue 3, pages 603–616, May 2008
How to Cite
Maseyk, K. S., Lin, T., Rotenberg, E., Grünzweig, J. M., Schwartz, A. and Yakir, D. (2008), Physiology–phenology interactions in a productive semi-arid pine forest. New Phytologist, 178: 603–616. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02391.x
- Issue published online: 6 MAR 2008
- Article first published online: 6 MAR 2008
- Received: 28 September 2007Accepted: 1 January 2008
- 1996. Nutrient resorption from senescing leaves of perennials: are there general patterns? Journal of Ecology 84: 597–608.
- 2002. Changes in European spring phenology. International Journal of Climatology 22: 1727–1738. , , , ,
- 2005. Drier summers cancel out the CO2 uptake enhancement induced by warmer springs. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 10823–10827. , , , , , , , .
- 1987. A model predicting stomatal conductance and its contribution to the control of photosynthesis under different environmental conditions. In: BigginsI, ed. Progress in photosynthesis research. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Martinus Nijhoff Publishers, 221–224. , , .
- 1999. Foliage physiology and biochemistry in response to light gradients in conifers with varying shade tolerance. Oecologia 120: 183–192. , , , .
- 1994. Soil and stem water storage determine phenology and distribution of tropical dry forest trees. Ecology 75: 1437–1449.
- 1998. Impact of long-term drought on xylem embolism and growth in Pinus halepensis Mill. Trees – Structure and Function 12: 187–195. , , ,
- 1982. Plant productivity and environment. Science 218: 443–448. .
- 2005. Regional vegetation die-off in response to global-change-type drought. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 15144–15148. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Detection of haplotypic variation and natural hybridization in halepensis-complex pine species using chloroplast simple sequence repeat (SSR) markers. Molecular Ecology 7: 1633–1643. , , , .
- 2001. Internal remobilization of carbohydrates, lipids, nitrogen and phosphorus in the Mediterranean evergreen oak Quercus ilex. Tree Physiology 21: 9–17. , , ,
- 2007. Regional climate projections. In: SolomonS, QinD, ManningM, ChenZ, MarquisM, AverytKB, TignorM, MillerHL, eds. Climate change 2007: the physical science basis. Contribution of working group I to the fourth assessment report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge, UK and New York, NY, USA: Cambridge University Press, 847–940. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1999. Climatic determinants of budburst seasonality in four temperate-zone tree species. New Phytologist 143: 339–349. ,
- 2005. Europe-wide reduction in primary productivity caused by the heat and drought in 2003. Nature 437: 529–533. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1995. Field-study of leaf photosynthetic performance by a Mediterranean deciduous oak tree (Quercus pubescens) during a severe summer drought. New Phytologist 131: 159–167. ,
- 1994. Environmental influences on the phenology of pine. Ecological Bulletins 43: 64–75. , , .
- 1992. Photosynthesis of oak trees (Quercus petraea (Matt) Liebl.) during drought under field conditions-diurnal course of net CO2 assimilation and photochemical efficiency of photosystem-II. Plant, Cell & Environment 15: 809–820. , ,
- 1982. On the relationship between carbon isotope discrimination and the intercellular carbon dioxide concentration in leaves. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 9: 121–137. , , .
- 2003. Δ13C and tree-ring width reflect different drought responses in Quercus ilex and Pinus halepensis. Oecologia 137: 512–518. , , , ,
- 2004. Diffusive and metabolic limitations to photosynthesis under drought and salinity in C3 plants. Plant Biology 6: 269–279. , , , ,
- 2001. Seasonal patterns and control of gas exchange in local populations of the Mediterranean evergreen shrub Pistacia lentiscus L. Acta Oecologica–International Journal of Ecology 22: 33–43. , , , ,
- 2008. Influence of nitrite accumulation in association with seasonal patterns and mineralization of soil nitrogen in a semi-arid pine forest. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 40: 415–424. ,
- 1999. A lumped water balance model to evaluate duration and intensity of drought constraints in forest stands. Ecological Modelling 116: 269–283. , , ,
- 2007. Evidence for soil water control on carbon and water dynamics in European forests during the extremely dry year: 2003. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 143: 123–145. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2007. Biogeochemical factors contributing to enhanced carbon storage following afforestation of a semi-arid shrubland. Biogeosciences 4: 891–904. , , ,
- 2003. Carbon sequestration in arid-land forest. Global Change Biology 9: 791–799. , , , ,
- 2002. Photosynthetic responses to water deficit in six Mediterranean sclerophyll species: possible factors explaining the declining distribution of Rhamnus ludovici-salvatoris, an endemic Balearic species. Tree Physiology 22: 687–697. , , ,
- 1987. Seasonal changes in net photosynthesis rates and photosynthetic capacity in leaves of Cistus salvifolius, a European Mediterranean semi-deciduous shrub. Oecologia 74: 380–388. , , , .
- 1984. The annual cycle of Osyris quadripartita, a hemiparasitic dioecious shrub of Mediterranean scrublands. The Journal of Ecology 72: 1065–1078. .
- 2005. Compensation processes of Aleppo pine (Pinus halepensis Mill.) to ozone exposure and drought stress. Environmental Pollution 137: 517–524. , , ,
- 1996. Mathematical models and response functions in photosynthesis: an exponential model. In: PessarakliM, ed. Handbook of photosynthesis. New York, NY, USA: Dekker, 803–810. , , ,
- 2001. Productivity overshadows temperature in determining soil and ecosystem respiration across European forests. Global Change Biology 7: 269–278. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1983. Phenological patterns of Chihuahuan desert plants in relation to the timing of water availability. The Journal of Ecology 71: 427–436. .
- 1989. Mediterranean pines and their history. Plant Systematics and Evolution 162: 133–163. ,
- 2005. Association between tree-ring and needle δ13C and leaf gas exchange in Pinus halepensis under semi-arid conditions. Oecologia 144: 45–54. , , , , , ,
- 1995. Phenotypic plasticity of the phenology of 7 European tree species in relation to climatic warming. Plant, Cell & Environment 18: 93–104.
- 2002. Environmental controls over carbon dioxide and water vapor exchange of terrestrial vegetation. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 113: 97–120. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. A critical-appraisal of a combined stomatal-photosynthesis model for C3 plants. Plant, Cell & Environment 18: 339–355.
- 2002. Temperature dependence of two parameters in a photosynthesis model. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 1205–1210.
- 1986. Cambial activity of evergreen and seasonal dimorphics around the Mediterranean. IAWA Bulletin 7: 145–153. ,
- 2003. Ecophysiological responses of two Mediterranean shrubs, Erica multiflora and Globularia alypum, to experimentally drier and warmer conditions. Physiologia Plantarum 119: 231–243. , ,
- 1980. Fast-simulation models of gaseous exchange in Scots pine. Ecological Bulletins 32: 505–523. , , , .
- 2004. Are Pinus halepensis plantations useful as a restoration tool in semiarid Mediterranean areas? Forest Ecology and Management 198: 303–317. ,
- 2003. Relative growth rate of leaf biomass and leaf nitrogen content in several Mediterranean woody species. Plant Ecology 168: 321–332. ,
- 2002. Temperature response of parameters of a biochemically based model of photosynthesis. II. A review of experimental data. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 1167–1179. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1985. The effect of water-stress on photosynthesis and related parameters in Pinus halepensis. Physiologia Plantarum 64: 295–300. , ,
- 2000. Trends in phenological phases in Europe between 1951 and 1996. International Journal of Biometeorology 44: 76–81.
- 2006. European phenological response to climate change matches the warming pattern. Global Change Biology 12: 1969–1976. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1994. Measurement of the remobilization of nitrogen for spring leaf growth of trees under field conditions. Tree Physiology 14: 1049–1054.
- 2002. Stomatal and photosynthetic responses of olive (Olea europaea L.) leaves to water deficits. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 395–405. , ,
- 2005. Differential tree mortality in response to severe drought: evidence for long-term vegetation shifts. Journal of Ecology 93: 1085–1093. , , , , , .
- 1991. Nutrient retranslocation in temperate conifers. Tree Physiology 9: 185–207. , .
- 2000. Ecology, biogeography and management of Pinus halepensis and P. brutia forest ecosystems in the Mediterranean basin. Leiden, the Netherlands: Backhuys Publishers. , .
- 1947. Studies on the water balance of unirrigated woody plants. Palestine Journal of Botany 6: 63–77.
- 1989. General synthesis. In: OrshanG, ed. Plant pheno-morphological studies in Mediterranean type ecosystems. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 389–399. , , , , ,
- 2001. Response of stomatal conductance to drought in ponderosa pine: implications for carbon and ozone uptake. Tree Physiology 21: 337–344. , .
- 2003. Shoot growth components and flowering phenology in grafted Pinus halepensis Mill. Trees – Structure and Function 17: 442–459. , , , .
- 2007. Influences of species, latitudes and methodologies on estimates of phenological response to global warming. Global Change Biology 13: 1860–1872.
- 2002. Changed plant and animal life cycles from 1952–2000 in the Mediterranean region. Global Change Biology 8: 531–544. , ,
- 2004. Complex spatiotemporal phenological shifts as a response to rainfall changes. New Phytologist 161: 837–846. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Comparison of ecosystem water-use efficiency among Douglas-fir forest, aspen forest and grassland using eddy covariance and carbon isotope techniques. Global Change Biology 12: 294–310. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Use of stable isotopes to quantify nitrogen, potassium and magnesium dynamics in young scots pine (Pinus sylvestris). New Phytologist 146: 461–469. , ,
- 2000. Taxonomy and biogeography of Mediterranean pines. In: Ne’emanG, TrabaudL, eds. Ecology, biogeography and management of Pinus halepensis and P. brutia forest ecosystems in the Mediterranean basin. Leiden, the Netherlands: Backhuys Publishers, 1–12.
- 1985. Phenological patterns of terrestrial plants. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 16: 179–214. , .
- 2000. Simulated responses of Pinus halepensis forest productivity to climatic change and CO2 increase using a statistical model. Global and Planetary Change 26: 405–421. , , , , ,
- 1998. Ecophysiology of Pinus. In: RichardsonDM, ed. Ecology and biogeography of Pinus. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 153–169. , .
- 1996. Simulations of canopy net photosynthesis and transpiration in Quercus ilex L. under the influence of seasonal drought. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 78: 203–222. , .
- 2005. Changes in nutrient use efficiency, status and retranslocation in young post-fire regeneration Pinus halepensis in response to sudden N and P input, irrigation and removal of competing vegetation. Trees-Structure and Function 19: 233–250. , ,
- 2000. Ecophysiology of Pinus halepensis Mill. and P. Brutia Ten. In: Ne’emanG, TrabaudL, eds. Ecology, biogeography and management of Pinus halepensis and P. brutia forest ecosystems in the Mediterranean basin. Leiden, the Netherlands: Backhuys Publishers, 51–65.
- 1998. Water balance of Pinus halepensis Mill. afforestation in an arid region. Forest Ecology and Management 105: 121–128. ,
- 1992. Phenology of seasonally dry tropical forest. Current Science 63: 684–689. , .
- 2007. The effect of spatial resolution on the accuracy of leaf area index estimation for a forest planted in the desert transition zone. Remote Sensing of Environment 109: 416–428. , , , , ,
- 1994. Photosynthesis and carbon gain by pines. Ecological Bulletins 43: 35–49. , ,
- 1996. Fluxes of carbon dioxide and water vapour from a sahelian savanna. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 80: 231–248. , , , , .
- 1997. The response of photosynthetic model parameters to temperature and nitrogen concentration in Pinus radiata D. Don. Plant, Cell & Environment 20: 1338–1348. , , , .
- 2006. Why does photosynthesis decrease with needle age in Pinus pinaster? Trees – Structure and Function 20: 157–164. .
- 2003. Photosynthesis–rubisco relationships in foliage of Pinus sylvestris in response to nitrogen supply and the proposed role of rubisco and amino acids as nitrogen stores. Trees – Structure and Function 17: 359–366. , , .
- 1989. Geographic-variation and phenology of Pinus halepensis, Pinus brutia and Pinus eldarica in Israel. Forest Ecology and Management 27: 99–108.
- 1996. Drought and air pollution affect nitrogen cycling and free radical scavenging in Pinus halepensis (Mill). Journal of Experimental Botany 47: 1361–1367. , , , .
- 2003. Seasonal trends in photosynthetic parameters and stomatal conductance of blue oak (Quercus douglasii) under prolonged summer drought and high temperature. Tree Physiology 23: 865–877. , .