Self/nonself perception and recognition mechanisms in plants: a comparison of self-incompatibility and innate immunity
Version of Record online: 13 MAR 2008
© The Authors (2008). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 178, Issue 3, pages 503–514, May 2008
How to Cite
Sanabria, N., Goring, D., Nürnberger, T. and Dubery, I. (2008), Self/nonself perception and recognition mechanisms in plants: a comparison of self-incompatibility and innate immunity. New Phytologist, 178: 503–514. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02403.x
- Issue online: 13 MAR 2008
- Version of Record online: 13 MAR 2008
- Received: 3 December 2007Accepted: 14 January 2008
Vol. 213, Issue 3, 1555, Version of Record online: 9 DEC 2016
- 2007. Pattern recognition receptors: from the cell surface to intracellular dynamics. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 20: 1031–1039. ,
- 2005. Are innate immune signalling pathways in plants and animals conserved? Nature Immunology 6: 973–979. .
- 2005. Characterization of an S-locus receptor protein kinase-like gene from peach. Tree Physiology 25: 403–411. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Two members of the thioredoxin-h family interact with the kinase domain of a Brassica S locus receptor kinase. Plant Cell 8: 1641–1650. , , , , , , .
- 2001. The S-locus receptor kinase is inhibited by thioredoxins and activated by pollen coat proteins. Nature 410: 220–223. , , ,
- 2006. A B-lectin receptor kinase gene conferring rice blast resistance. Plant Journal 46: 794–804. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2007. A flagellin-induced complex of the receptor FLS2 and BAK1 initiates plant defense. Nature 448: 497–501. , , , , , , ,
- 2006. Host–microbe interactions: shaping the evolution of the plant immune response. Cell 124: 803–814. , , , .
- 2004. Specificity determinants and diversification of the Brassica self-incompatibility pollen ligand. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 101: 911–917. , , , , .
- 2001. Plant pathogens and integrated defense responses to infection. Nature 411: 826–833. , .
- 2003. Role of ubiquitination in the regulation of plant defence against pathogens. Current Opinions in Plant Biology 6: 307–311. , ,
- 2007. Phosphoprotein and phosphopeptide interactions with the FHA domain from Arabidopsis kinase-associated protein phosphatase. Biochemistry 46: 2684–2696. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Post-transcriptional maturation of the S receptor kinase of Brassica correlates with co-expression of the S-locus glycoprotein in the stigmas of two Brassica strains and in transgenic tobacco plants. Plant Physiology 124: 297–311. , , .
- 1998. Molecular characterization of a new type of receptor-like kinase (WLRK) gene family in wheat. Plant Molecular Biology 37: 943–953. , , ,
- 2004. The self-incompatibility response in Papaver rhoeas pollen causes early and striking alterations to organelles. Cell Death and Differentiation 11: 812–822. , , .
- 2000. The integral membrane S-locus receptor kinase of Brassica has serine/threonine kinase activity in a membranous environment and spontaneously forms oligomers in planta. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 97: 3759–3764. , , ,
- 2000. Kuby immunology, 4th edn. New York, NY, USA: W. H. Freeman & Co. , , .
- 2001. Both the extracellular leucine rich repeat domain and the kinase activity of FLS2 are required for flagellin binding and signalling in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 13: 1155–1163. , ,
- 2000. FLS2, an LRR receptor-like kinase involved in the perception of the bacterial elicitor flagellin in Arabidopsis. Molecular Cell 5: 1003–1011. ,
- 2002. Flagellin perception: a paradigm for innate immunity. Trends in Plant Science 7: 251–256. ,
- 2006. The U-box protein CMPG1 is required for efficient activation of defense mechanisms triggered by multiple resistance genes in tobacco and tomato. Plant Cell 18: 1067–1083. , , , , , .
- 1998. Binding of an arm repeat protein to the kinase domain of the S-locus receptor kinase. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 95: 382–387. , , , , .
- 2004. Receptor kinase signalling in plants. Canadian Journal of Botany 82: 1–15. , , .
- 2007. The receptor-like kinase SERK3/BAK1 is a central regulator of innate immunity in plants. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 104: 12217–12222. , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Dimerization of cell surface receptors in signal transduction. Cell 80: 213–223. .
- 1996. Molecular mechanisms of self-incompatibility in flowering plants and fungi – different means to the same end. Trends in Cell Biology 6: 421–428. , , .
- 1988. Recognition in flowering plants: a comparison of the Brassica self-incompatibility system and plant pathogen interactions. New Phytologist 110: 557–569. , , .
- 1983. Bridging the gap between related fields of research: pistil-pollen relationships and the distinction between incompatibility and incongruity in nonfunctioning host-parasite relationships. Phytopathology 73: 381–383. .
- 2006. PAMP recognition and the plant-pathogen arms race. Bioessays 28: 880–889. , , .
- 2002. Innate immune recognition. Annual Review of Immunology 20: 197–216. ,
- 2004. Plant innate immunity – direct and indirect recognition of general and specific pathogen-associated molecules. Current Opinion in Immunology 16: 48–62. ,
- 2006. The plant immune system. Nature 444: 323–329. , .
- 2000. Evidence for DNA fragmentation triggered in the self-incompatibility response in pollen of Papaver rhoeas. Plant Journal 23: 471–479. , , .
- 2001. Allele-specific receptor–ligand interactions in Brassica self-incompatibility. Science 293: 1824–1826. , , , .
- 2007. Direct interaction between S-locus receptor kinase and M-locus protein kinase involved in Brassica self-incompatibility signalling. Plant Biotechnology 24: 185–190. , , , ,
- 2006. Plant cells recognize chitin fragments for defense signaling through a plasma membrane receptor. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 103: 11086–11091. , , , , , , ,
- 2007. S Cysteine-rich (SCR) binding domain analysis of the Brassica self-incompatibility S-locus receptor kinase. New Phytologist 175: 619–629. ,
- 2007. Recent progress in elucidating the structure, function and evolution of disease resistance genes in plants. Journal of Genetics and Genomics 34: 765–776. , , ,
- 2002. The danger model: a renewed sense of self. Science 296: 301–305.
- 2002. Decoding the patterns of self and nonself by the innate immune system. Science 296: 298–300. , .
- 2000. The bacterial elicitor flagellin activates its receptor in tomato cells according to the address-message concept. Plant Cell 12: 1783–1794. , ,
- 2003. Structure of the male determinant factor for Brassica self-incompatibility. Journal of Biological Chemistry 278: 36389–36395. , , , , , ,
- 2007. Pathogen-associated molecular pattern recognition rather than development of tissue necrosis contributes to bacterial induction of systemic acquired resistance in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 50: 500–513. ,
- 2006. Functional analysis of receptor-like kinases in monocots and dicots. Current Opinions in Plant Biology 7: 391–399. , .
- 2004. A membrane-anchored protein kinase involved in Brassica self-incompatibility signaling. Science 303: 1516–1519. , , , , , ,
- 2007. Structural modules for receptor dimerization in the S-locus receptor kinase extracellular domain. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 104: 12211–12216. , , , .
- 2005. Recognition and rejection of self in plant self-incompatibility: comparisons to animal histocompatibility. Trends in Immunology 26: 412–418. .
- 2004. The transcriptional innate immune response to flg22; interplay and overlap with Avr gene-dependent defense responses and bacterial pathogenesis. Plant Physiology 135: 113–128. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Sex and self-denial. Nature 423: 229–230. , .
- 2004. Innate immunity in plants and animals: striking similarities and obvious differences. Immunology Review 198: 249–266. , , ,
- 2006. Receptor protein kinases – pattern recognition receptors in plant immunity. Trends in Plant Science 11: 519–522. ,
- 2000. Salicylic acid induces the expression of a number of receptor-like kinase genes in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Cell Physiology 41: 1038–1044. , ,
- 1997. Rapid induction by wounding and bacterial infection of an S gene family receptor-like kinase gene in Brassica oleracea. Plant Cell 9: 49–60. , , , .
- 2002. Comparison of the expression patterns of two small gene families of S gene family receptor kinase genes during the defense response in Brassica oleracea and Arabidopsis thaliana. Gene 282: 215–225. , , , , , , .
- 2004. The receptor for the fungal elicitor ethylene-inducing xylanase is a member of a resistance-like gene family in tomato. Plant Cell 16: 1604–1615. ,
- 2006. Differential display profiling of the Nicotiana response to LPS reveals elements of plant basal resistance. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 344: 1001–1007. , .
- 1999. The male determinant of self-incompatibility in Brassica. Science 286: 1697–1700. , , .
- 2002. A 21st century view of evolution. Journal of Biological Physics 28: 745–764. .
- 2007. Characterisation of the SP11/SCR high-affinity binding site involved in self/nonself recognition in Brassica self-incompatibility. Plant Cell 19: 107–117. , , , , , , , ,
- 2001. Plant receptor-like kinase gene family: diversity, function and signalling. Science Signal Transduction Knowledge Environment 113: re22. , .
- 2004. Comparative analysis of the receptor-like kinase family in Arabidopsis and rice. Plant Cell 16: 1220–1234. , , , , ,
- 2001. Expression of the S receptor kinase in self-compatible Brassica napus cv. Westar leads to the allele-specific rejection of self-incompatible Brassica napus pollen. Molecular Genetics and Genomics 265: 552–559. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. ARC1 is an E3 ubiquitin ligase and promotes the ubiquitination of proteins during the rejection of self-incompatible Brassica pollen. Plant Cell 15: 885–898. , , , .
- 1999. A breakdown of Brassica self-incompatibility in ARC1 antisense transgenic plants. Science 286: 1729–1731. , , .
- 1998. Identification by PCR of receptor-like protein kinases from Arabidopsis flowers. Plant Molecular Biology 37: 587–596. , , , .
- 2000. The S receptor kinase determines self-incompatibility in Brassica stigma. Nature 403: 913–916. , , , , ,
- 2005. Self-incompatibility in plants. Annual Review of Plant Biology 56: 467–489. ,
- 2000. The pollen determinant of self-incompatibility in Brassica campestris. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 97: 1920–1925. , , , , .
- 2001. Direct ligand–receptor complex interaction controls Brassica self-incompatibility. Nature 413: 534–538. , , , , , , ,
- Resistance proteins: scouts of the plant innate immune system. European Journal of Plant Pathology (published online: 27 September 2007). , . (in press).
- 2004. Self-incompatibility triggers programmed cell death in Papaver pollen. Nature 429: 305–309. , .
- 2003. Fresh insights into processes of nonhost resistance. Current Opinions in Plant Biology 6: 351–357.
- 1999. The PAN module: the N-terminal domains of plasminogen and hepatocyte growth factor are homologous with the apple domains of the prekallikrein family and with a novel domain found in numerous nematode proteins. FEBS Letters 461: 63–67. , ,
- 2004. Leucine-rich repeat receptor kinases in plants: structure, function, and signal transduction pathways. International Review of Cytology 234: 1–46. .
- 1997. The structure and function of a soybean beta-glucan-elicitor-binding protein. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 94: 1029–1034. , , , , ,
- 2003. Interaction of calmodulin, a sorting nexin and kinase-associated protein phosphatase, with the Brassica oleracea S locus receptor kinase. Plant Physiology 133: 919–929. , , , , .
- 1993. Receptor-like protein kinase genes of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 3: 451–456. .
- 1994. Structure and function of the receptor-like kinases of higher plants. Plant Molecular Biology 26: 1599–1609. .
- 2007. Specifying self-recognition: peptides lead the way. New Phytologist 175: 597–599. , .
- 2006. The cell surface leucine-rich repeat receptor for AtPep1, an endogenous peptide elicitor in Arabidopsis, is functional in transgenic tobacco cells. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 103: 10104–10109. , , .
- 2006. The E3 ubiquitin ligase activity of Arabidopsis plant U-Box17 and its functional tobacco homolog ACRE276 are required for cell death and defense. Plant Cell 18: 1084–1098. , , , , , , , , ,
- 2004. Spotted leaf11, a negative regulator of plant cell death and defense, encodes a U-box/armadillo repeat protein endowed with E3 ubiquitin ligase activity. Plant Cell 16: 2795–2808. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Leucine-rich repeat receptor-like kinases in plants. Plant Molecular Biological Report 16: 301–311.
- 2005. Plants and animals: a different taste for microbes? Current Opinions in Plant Biology 8: 353–360. ,
- 2006. Perception of the bacterila PAMP EF-Tu by the receptor ERF restricts Agrobacterium-mediated transformation. Cell 125: 749–760. , , , , , ,
- 2004. Bacterial disease resistance in Arabidopsis through flagellin perception. Nature 428: 764–767. , , , , , ,