Accession numbers for sequence data: cDNA sequences for prft1–prft6 have been submitted to the DNA Data Bank of Japan (DDBJ), accession numbers AB186920, AB288055, AB125218, AB288056, AB288057, and AB288058, respectively.
Coordinated expression of functionally diverse fructosyltransferase genes is associated with fructan accumulation in response to low temperature in perennial ryegrass
Version of Record online: 13 MAR 2008
© The Authors (2008). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 178, Issue 4, pages 766–780, June 2008
How to Cite
Hisano, H., Kanazawa, A., Yoshida, M., Humphreys, M. O., Iizuka, M., Kitamura, K. and Yamada, T. (2008), Coordinated expression of functionally diverse fructosyltransferase genes is associated with fructan accumulation in response to low temperature in perennial ryegrass. New Phytologist, 178: 766–780. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02409.x
- Issue online: 13 MAR 2008
- Version of Record online: 13 MAR 2008
- Received: 13 October 2007Accepted: 13 January 2008
- 2004. Synteny between a major heading-date QTL in perennial ryegrass (Lolium perenne L.) and the Hd3 heading-date locus in rice. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 108: 822–828. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Isolation and characterization of a sucrose : sucrose 1-fructosyltransferase gene from perennial ryegrass (Lolium perenne). Journal of Plant Physiology 160: 1385–1391. , , ,
- 2005. Molecular genetics of fructan metabolism in perennial ryegrass. Plant Biotechnology Journal 3: 459–474. , , , , ,
- 1989. Carbohydrate partitioning in 185 accessions of Gramineae under warm and cool temperatures. Journal of Plant Physiology 134: 169–179. , , , .
- 1987. Single-step method of RNA isolation by acid guanidium thiocyanate-phenol-chloroform extraction. Analytical Biochemistry 162: 156–159. ,
- 1987. A rapid DNA isolation procedure for small quantities of fresh leaf tissue. Phytochemical Bulletin 19: 11–15. , .
- 2006. Fructosyltransferase and invertase genes evolved by gene duplication and rearrangements: rice, perennial ryegrass, and wheat gene families. Genome 49: 1081–1091. , , , ,
- 2004. Cloning and characterization of a putative fructosyltransferase and two putative invertase genes from the temperate grass Lolium temulentum L. Journal of Experimental Botany 55: 557–569. , ,
- 1999. Low temperature–wheat–fungal interactions: a carbohydrate connection. Physiologia Plantarum 106: 437–444. , ,
- 1999. BioEdit: a user-friendly biological sequence alignment editor and analysis program for Windows 95/98/NT. Nucleic Acids Symposium Series 41: 95–98. .
- 1993. Evolutionary origins and natural functions of fructans – a climatological, biogeographic and mechanistic appraisal. New Phytologist 123: 3–14. .
- 2004. Transgenic perennial ryegrass plants expressing wheat fructosyltransferase genes accumulate increased amounts of fructan and acquire increased levels of freezing tolerance. Plant Science 167: 861–868. , , , , ,
- 2003. Isolation and characterization of an invertase cDNA from perennial ryegrass (Lolium perenne). Journal of Plant Physiology 160: 903–911. , , , , , ,
- 2002. Molecular characterization of sucrose : sucrose 1-fructosyltransferase and sucrose : fructan 6-fructosyltransferase associated with fructan accumulation in winter wheat during cold hardening. Bioscience, Biotechnology, and Biochemistry 66: 2297–2305. ,
- 2005. Fructan : fructan 1-fructosyltransferase, a key enzyme for biosynthesis of graminan oligomers in hardened wheat. Planta 223: 90–104. ,
- 1980. A simple method for estimating evolutionary rates of base substitutions through comparative studies of nucleotide sequences. Journal of Molecular Evolution 16: 111–120.
- 2002. Freezing tolerant tobacco, transformed to accumulate osmoprotectants. Plant Science 163: 157–164. , , ,
- 2001. Carbon allocation and sugar status in individual cells of barley leaves affects expression of sucrose : fructan 6-fructosyltransferase gene. Annals of Applied Biology 138: 27–32. , , , , .
- 2005. The star-type color pattern in Petunia hybrida‘Red Star’ flowers is induced by the sequence-specific degradation of the chalcone synthase RNA. Plant and Cell Physiology 46: 1879–1883. , , ,
- 2006. Molecular and functional characterization of a cDNA encoding fructan : fructan 6G-fructosyltransferase (6G-FFT)/fructan : fructan 1-fructosyltransferase (1-FFT) from perennial ryegrass (Lolium perenne L.). Journal of Experimental Botany 57: 2719–2734. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Isolation and characterization of a fructosyltransferase gene from perennial ryegrass (Lolium perenne). Journal of Plant Physiology 159: 1037–1043. , , , , ,
- 1998. Apoplastic sugars, fructans, fructan exohydrolase and invertase in winter oat: responses to second-phase cold hardening. Plant Physiology 116: 403–408. , .
- 1971. Cold tolerance and winter hardiness in Lolium perenne. 1. Development of screening techniques for cold tolerance and survey of geographical variation. Journal of Agricultural Science 76: 199–209. , , , .
- 2000. Isolation of sucrose : sucrose 1-fructosyltransferase (1-SST) from barley (Hordeum vulgare). New Phytologist 145: 225–232. , , ,
- 1984. An adaptive response of rye to freezing. Crop Science 24: 51–54. .
- 2001a. Fructans and fructan-metabolizing enzymes in leaves of Lolium perenne. New Phytologist 150: 97–109. , , .
- 2001b. Structure of fructan in roots and leaf tissues of Lolium perenne. New Phytologist 150: 83–95. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Molecular analysis of acclimation to cold. Plant Growth Regulation 29: 47–76. .
- 1989. Fructans and cold stress. Journal of Plant Physiology 134: 148–150. .
- 2003. Patterns of fructan synthesized by onion fructan : fructan 6G-fructosyltransferase expressed in tobacco BY2 cells – is fructan : fructan 1-fructosyltransferase needed in onion? New Phytologist 160: 61–67. , ,
- 2003. Fructans: beneficial for plants and humans. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 6: 223–230. ,
- 1987. The neighbor-joining method: a new method for reconstructing phylogenetic trees. Molecular Biology and Evolution 4: 406–425. ,
- 2006. Gene expression and genetic mapping analyses of a perennial ryegrass glycine-rich RNA-binding protein gene suggest a role in cold adaptation. Molecular Genetics and Genomics 275: 399–408. , , , , , , ,
- 1993. Structure of fructopolysaccharide (asparagosin) from roots of asparagus (Asparagus officinalis L.). New Phytologist 123: 263–270.
- 1995. Purification, cloning, and functional expression of sucrose : fructan 6-fructosyltransferase, a key enzyme of fructan synthesis in barley. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 92: 11652–11656. , , , ,
- 1994. CLUSTAL W: improving the sensitivity of progressive multiple sequence alignment through sequence weighting, positions-specific gap penalties and weight matrix choice. Nucleic Acids Research 22: 4673–4680. , , .
- 1990. Sucrose and fructan metabolism of different wheat cultivars at chilling temperatures. Physiologia Plantarum 78: 554–559. , , , .
- 2004. Changes in the structural properties of chloroprasts and mitochondria in response to low temperature in perennial ryegrass (Lolium perenne L.). Grassland Science 50: 31–39. , ,
- 2005. Molecular characterization and expression of a cDNA encoding fructan : fructan 6G-fructosyltransferase from asparagus (Asparagus officinalis). New Phytologist 165: 813–824. , , , ,
- 2002. Inulin metabolism in dicots: chicory as a model system. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 803–813. ,
- 2001. joinmap version 3.0, software for the calculation of genetic linkage maps. Wageningen, the Netherlands: Plant Research International. , .
- 2005. X-ray diffraction structure of a plant glycosyl hydrolase family 32 protein: fructan 1-exohydrolase IIa of Cichorium intybus. Plant Journal 41: 400–411. , , , , ,
- 1999. Fructan: more than a reserve carbohydrate? Plant Physiology 120: 351–359. ,
- 2000. Fructan accumulation induced by nitrogen deficiency in barley leaves correlates with the level of sucrose : fructan 6-fructosyltransferase mRNA. Planta 211: 701–707. , ,
- 2001. Fructan biosynthesis and fructoseyltransferase evolution: expression of the 6-SFT (sucrose : fructan 6-fructosyltransferase) gene in crested wheatgrass (Agropyron cristatum). Journal of Plant Physiology 158: 1203–1213. , .
- 2002. Characterization of fructan biosynthesis in big bluegrass (Poa secunda). Journal of Plant Physiology 159: 705–715. , , , , .
- 2000. Linkage mapping and nucleotide polymorphisms of the 6-SFT gene of cool-season grasses. Genome 43: 931–938. , , ,
- 1993. Relation between cold hardiness and Aco-1 in perennial ryegrass (Lolium perenne L.). Research Bulletin of the University Farm Hokkaido University 28: 25–30. , ,
- 1998. Carbohydrate levels among wheat cultivars varying in freezing tolerance and snow mold resistance during autumn and winter. Physiologia Plantarum 103: 8–16. , , ,
- 2005. Hos10 encodes an R2R3-type MYB transcription factor essential for cold acclimation in plants. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 9966–9971. , , , , , , , , , et al .