Identifying genetic components controlling fertility in the outcrossing grass species perennial ryegrass (Lolium perenne) by quantitative trait loci analysis and comparative genetics
Version of Record online: 11 MAR 2008
© IGER (2008) Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 178, Issue 3, pages 559–571, May 2008
How to Cite
Armstead, I. P., Turner, L. B., Marshall, A. H., Humphreys, M. O., King, I. P. and Thorogood, D. (2008), Identifying genetic components controlling fertility in the outcrossing grass species perennial ryegrass (Lolium perenne) by quantitative trait loci analysis and comparative genetics. New Phytologist, 178: 559–571. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02413.x
- Issue online: 11 MAR 2008
- Version of Record online: 11 MAR 2008
- Received: 15 November 2007Accepted: 8 January 2008
- 2003. A linkage map of meadow fescue (Festuca pratensis Huds.) and comparative mapping with other Poaceae species. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 108: 25–40. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Identification of perennial ryegrass (Lolium perenne (L.) and meadow fescue (Festuca pratensis (Huds.) candidate orthologous sequences to the rice Hd1 (Se1) and barley HvCO1 CONSTANS-like genes through comparative mapping and microsynteny. New Phytologist 167: 239–247. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Synteny between a major flowering date QTL in perennial ryegrass (Lolium perenne L.) and the Hd3 flowering date locus in rice. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 108: 822–828. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Comparison and integration of genetic maps generated from F-2 and BC1-type mapping populations in perennial ryegrass. Plant Breeding 121: 501–507. , , , , .
- 2003. Selection for stem rust resistance in tall fescue and its correlated response with seed yield. Crop Science 43: 75–79. , , .
- 2002. Mapping of quantitative trait loci determining agronomic important characters in hexaploid wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Theoretical and Applied Genetics 105: 921–936. , , , , , , .
- 1978. Weights of individual grains of wheat ear in relation to their growth potential, supply of assimilate and interaction between grains. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 5: 61–72. , .
- 1978. Lodging studies in Lolium perenne grown for seed. 2. Floret site utilisation. Journal of Agricultural Science 90: 269–274. , , .
- 1989. Why do plants produce so many more ovules than seeds? Nature 338: 21–22.
- 1987. Inbreeding depression and its evolutionary consequences. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 18: 237–268. ,
- 1954. Studies on growth and development in Lolium IV. Genetic control of heading responses in local populations. Journal of Ecology 42: 521–556. .
- 1956. The basis of synthetic strains of cross-pollinated grasses. Proceedings 7th International Grassland Congress. Palmerston North, New Zealand: Massey Agricultural College, 427–438.
- 1980. Self-incompatibility in ryegrass IV. Seed set in diploid Lolium perenne L. Heredity 44: 333–340. , , .
- 1994. Self-incompatibility in ryegrass. 11. Number and frequency of alleles in a cultivar of Lolium perenne L. Heredity 73: 262–264. , , , .
- 1990. Genetic variation for seed yield in perennial ryegrass (Lolium perenne L.). Plant Breeding 105: 117–125.
- 1988. Cytology of seed development related to floret position in perennial ryegrass (Lolium perenne L.). Euphytica Suppl. S59–68. ,
- 1997. Breeding for higher seed yields in grasses and forage legumes. In: FaireyDT, HamptonJG, eds. Forage seed production: temperate species, Vol. 1. Alberta, Canada: CABI, 243–270. , .
- 2006. Quantitative trait loci controlling vernalisation requirement, heading time and number of panicles in meadow fescue (Festuca pratensis Huds.). Theoretical and Applied Genetics 112: 232–242. , , , , .
- 2004. Phenotypic and genotypic variation in seed production traits within a full-sib family of meadow fescue. Plant Breeding 123: 241–246. , , , .
- 1994. Self-incompatibility in ryegrass. 10. Number and frequency of alleles in a natural-population of Lolium perenne L. Heredity 73: 254–261. , , , .
- 1997. Italian ryegrass and nitrogen source fertilisation in Western Oregon in two contrasting climatic years. 1. Growth and seed yield. Journal of Plant Nutrition 20: 419–428. , , .
- 1988. Multiple alleles controlling F1-sterility in remote crosses of rice (Oryza sativa). Japanese Journal of Breeding 38: 283–291. ,
- 2004. Construction of a high-density linkage map of Italian ryegrass (Lolium multiflorum Lam.) using restriction fragment length polymorphism, amplified fragment length polymorphism, and telomeric repeat associated sequence markers. Genome 47: 57–65. , , , , .
- 2005. QTL mapping of vernalization response in perennial ryegrass (Lolium perenne L.) reveals co-location with an orthologue of wheat VRN1. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 110: 527–536. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Delimiting a rice wide-compatibility gene to a 50 kb region. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 111: 1495–1503. , , , , .
- 2007. Two novel loci for pollen sterility in hybrids between the weedy strain Ludao and the Japonica variety Akihikari of rice (Oryza sativa L.). Theoretical and Applied Genetics 114: 915–925. , , , , , .
- 2002. An enhanced molecular marker based genetic map of perennial ryegrass (Lolium perenne) reveals comparative relationships with other Poaceae genomes. Genome 45: 282–295. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1993. Reproductive barriers: identification, uses, and circumvention. Plant Breeding Review 11: 11–154. , .
- 2001. Overdominant epistatic loci are the primary genetic basis of inbreeding depression and heterosis in rice. I. Biomass and grain yield. Genetics 158: 1737–1753. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2002. Identification and characterization of a quantitative trait locus, Hd9, controlling heading date in rice. Breeding Science 52: 35–41. , , , ,
- 1989. The pattern of abortion of developing seeds in Lolium perenne L. Annals of Botany 63: 19–27. ,
- 1998. Influence of agronomic factors on the relationship between forage production and seed yield in perennial forage grasses and legumes in a Mediterranean environment. Agronomie 18: 591–601.
- 2006. EcoTILLING for the identification of allelic variation in the powdery mildew resistance genes mlo and Mla of barley. Plant Breeding 125: 461–467. , , , , ,
- 1998. Evaluation of early-maturing European maize inbreds for resistance to the European corn borer. Euphytica 99: 115–125. , , , ,
- 2002. Genetic dissection of a genomic region for a quantitative trait locus, Hd3, into two loci, Hd3a and Hd3b, controlling heading date in rice. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 104: 772–778. , , , ,
- 2003. Advanced backcross QTL analysis in barley (Hordeum vulgare L.). Theoretical and Applied Genetics 107: 340–352. , ,
- 2005. Delimitation of the rice wide compatibility gene S5n to a 40-kb DNA fragment. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 111: 1080–1086. , , , , , , .
- 2005. A high-density genetic map of hexaploid wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) from the cross Chinese Spring, X SQ1 and its use to compare QTLs for grain yield across a range of environments. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 110: 865–880. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1989. Variation in turf-type morphology characters. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 40: 851–859. .
- 2003. Identification of quantitative trait loci for yield and yield components in an advanced backcross population derived from the Oryza sativa variety IR64 and the wild relative O. rufipogon. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 107: 1419–1432. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Molecular cloning and genetic mapping of perennial ryegrass casein protein kinase 2 alpha-subunit genes. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 112: 167–177. , , , , , ,
- 2005. Chromosomal rearrangements differentiating the ryegrass genome from the Triticeae, oat, and rice genomes using common heterologous RFLP probes. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 110: 1011–1019. , , , , ,
- 2005. An association mapping approach to identify flowering time genes in natural populations of Lolium perenne (L.). Molecular Breeding 15: 233–245. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Hd6, a rice quantitative trait locus involved in photoperiod sensitivity, encodes the alpha subunit of protein kinase CK2. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 98: 7922–7927. , , ,
- 2003. Fine linkage mapping enables dissection of closely linked quantitative trait loci for seed dormancy and heading in rice. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 107: 1174–1180. , , ,
- 2003. Mapping quantitative trait loci for yield, yield components and morphological traits in an advanced backcross population between Oryza rufipogon and the Oryza sativa cultivar Jefferson. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 107: 479–493. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Identification and mode of action of self-compatibility loci in Lolium perenne L. Heredity 94: 356–363. , , , , .
- 2002. Self-incompatibility in ryegrass 12. Genotyping and mapping the S and IX loci of Lolium perenne L. Heredity 88: 385–390. , , ,
- 2001. QTL analysis of crown rust resistance in perennial ryegrass – implications for breeding. International Turfgrass Society Research Journal 9: 218–223. , , , , , .
- 2006. Dissecting the regulation of fructan metabolism in perennial ryegrass (Lolium perenne) with quantitative trait locus mapping. New Phytologist 169: 45–57. , , , , , , .
- UPOV (International Union for the Protection of New Varieties of Plants). 2006. Ryegrass. guidelines for the conduct of tests for distinctness, uniformity and stability. [ http://www.upov.int/en/publications/tg-rom/tg004/tg_4_8.pdf.] (accessed: 29-10-07.)
- 2001. JoinMap® 3.0, Software for the calculation of genetic linkage maps. Wageningen, the Netherlands: Plant Research International. , , ,
- 2002. Map QTL4.0, Software for the calculation of QTL positions on genetic maps. Wageningen, the Netherlands: Plant Research International. , , ,
- 1994. Molecular-marker-facilitated studies of morphological traits in maize. 2. Determination of QTLs for grain-yield and yield components. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 89: 451–458. ,
- 2005. Windows QTL cartographer 2.5. Raleigh, NC, USA: Department of Statistics, North Carolina State University. , ,
- 1998. The high level of wide compatibility of variety ‘Dular’ has a complex genetic basis. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 97: 407–412. , , , , .
- 1992. Heritability of response to moisture stress in a New Zealand North Island hill country ryegrass collection grown with and without nitrogen fertiliser. New Zealand Journal of Agricultural Research 35: 41–50. , , , .
- 1984. Ovule survivorship, brood size, life-history, breeding systems, and reproductive success in plants. Oecologia 64: 47–53.
- 1991. Breeding perennial ryegrass for agriculture. Euphytica 52: 201–214. .
- 2003. Progress in breeding perennial forage grasses for temperate agriculture. Journal of Agricultural Science 140: 129–150. , .
- 1999. Inferences on the genome structure of progenitor maize through comparative analysis of rice, maize and the domesticated panicoids. Genetics 153: 453–473. , , , , , .
- 2002. Characterization of the main effects, epistatic effects and their environmental interactions of QTLs on the genetic basis of yield traits in rice. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 105: 248–257. , , , , ,
- 2004. QTL analysis of morphological, developmental, and winter hardiness-associated traits in perennial ryegrass. Crop Science 44: 925–935. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Identification of heading date quantitative trait locus Hd6 and characterization of its epistatic interactions with Hd2 in rice using advanced backcross progeny. Genetics 154: 885–891. , , ,
- 1995. Molecular analysis of the inheritance of the S-5 locus, conferring wide compatibility in Indica/Japonica hybrids of rice (O. sativa L.). Theoretical and Applied Genetics 90: 182–188. , , , , ,
- 2000. Hd1, a major photoperiod sensitivity quantitative trait locus in rice, is closely related to the Arabidopsis flowering time gene CONSTANS. Plant Cell 12: 2473–2483. , , , , , , , , , et al .