Applying modelling experiences from the past to shape crop systems biology: the need to converge crop physiology and functional genomics
Version of Record online: 29 MAR 2008
© The Authors (2008). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 179, Issue 3, pages 629–642, August 2008
How to Cite
Yin, X. and Struik, P. C. (2008), Applying modelling experiences from the past to shape crop systems biology: the need to converge crop physiology and functional genomics. New Phytologist, 179: 629–642. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02424.x
- Issue online: 15 JUL 2008
- Version of Record online: 29 MAR 2008
- Received: 16 November 2007 Accepted: 29 January 2008
- 1997. Simulating genotypic strategies for increasing rice yield potential in irrigated, tropical environments. Field Crops Research 51: 5–17. , , , .
- 2006. The effects of elevated CO2 concentration on soybean gene expression. An analysis of growing and mature leaves. Plant Physiology 142: 135–147. , , , ,
- 2005. Cytokinin oxidase regulates rice grain production. Science 309: 741–745. , , , , , , , , ,
- 2001. What if we knew all the genes for a quantitative trait in hybrid crops? Crop Science 41: 1–4.
- 1933. Modern theories of development: an introduction to theoretical biology. Oxford, UK: University Press.
- 1969. General systems theory; foundation, development, applications. New York, NY, USA: George Braziller.
- 1997. Bridging the gap between plant physiology and breeding: identifying traits to increase wheat yield potential using systems approaches. PhD thesis, Wageningen Agricultural University, the Netherlands. .
- 2001. Physiology and modelling of traits in plants: implications for genetic improvement. Agricultural Systems 70: 395–420. , , .
- 1981. Some relationships between the biochemistry of photosynthesis and the gas exchange of leaves. Planta 153: 376–387. , .
- 1999. Modeling C4 photosynthesis. In: SageRF, MonsonRK, eds. C4 plant biology. Toronto, Canada: Academic Press, 173–211. , .
- 1999. Ecological intensification of cereal production systems: yield potential, soil quality, and precision agriculture. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 96: 5952–5959. .
- 2003. Evaluating plant breeding strategies by simulating gene action and dryland environment effects. Agronomy Journal 95: 99–113. , , , .
- 2005. Preface to special issue: complex traits and plant breeding – can we understand the complexities of gene-to-phenotype relationships and use such knowledge to enhance plant breeding outcomes? Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 56: 869–872. , .
- 2006. The quest for florigen: a review of recent progress. Journal of Experimental Botany 57: 3395–3403. ,
- 2007. FT protein movement contributes to long-distance signalling in floral induction of Arabidopsis. Science 316: 1030–1033. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2003. Distinct photoperiodic responses are conferred by the same genetic pathway in Arabidopsis and in rice. Trends in Plant Science 8: 405–407. ,
- 1990. Simulation to support evaluation of the production potential of rice varieties in tropical climates. Transactions of American Society of Agricultural Engineers 33: 1185–1194. , , .
- 2007. The molecularization of public sector crop breeding: progress, problems and prospects. Advances in Agronomy 95: 163–318. , , , , , , ,
- 1983. Nitrogen and photosynthesis in the flag leaf of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Plant Physiology 72: 297–302. .
- 1980. A biochemical model of photosynthetic CO2 assimilation in leaves of C3 species. Planta 149: 78–90. , , .
- 1983. Allocating leaf nitrogen for the maximization of carbon gain: leaf age as a control on the allocation program. Oecologia 56: 341–347.
- 2007. Understanding the physiological basis of yield potential in wheat. Journal of Agricultural Science Cambridge 145: 99–113. .
- 1961. Industrial dynamics. Cambridge, MA, USA: MIT Press. .
- 2005. System biology for the virtual plant. Plant Physiology 138: 550–554. , , .
- 2006. Models for navigating biological complexity in breeding improved crop plants. Trends in Plant Science 11: 587–593. , , , , , , ,
- 2004. On systems thinking, systems biology, and the in silico plants. Plant Physiology 134: 909–911. , , ,
- 2001. Towards a better understanding of the genetic and physiological basis for nitrogen use efficiency in maize. Plant Physiology 125: 1258–1270. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1998. Systems biology: new opportunities arising from genomics, proteomics and beyond. Experimental Hematology 26: 681.
- 2001. A new approach to decoding life: systems biology. Annual Review of Genomics and Human Genetics 2: 343–372. , ,
- 2006. Photoperiodic control of flowering: not only by coincidence. Trends in Plant Science 11: 550–558 (erratum in 11: 567). , .
- 1976. The interpretation of the variations in leaf water potential and stomatal conductance found in canopies in the field. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London Series B – Biological Sciences 273: 593–610. .
- 2005. Cyclic electron transport in C3 plants: facts or artefacts? Journal of Experimental Botany 56: 407–416. .
- 2007. Improvement of water use efficiency in rice by expression of HARDY, an Arabidopsis drought and salt tolerance gene. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 104: 15270–15275. , , , , , , , , ,
- 2002. Systems biology: a brief overview. Science 295: 1662–1664.
- 1998. Genetic control of flowering time in Arabidopsis. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 49: 345–370. , , ,
- 2001. Systems approaches for the design of sustainable agro-ecosystems. Agricultural Systems 70: 369–393. , , .
- 1995. Using systems approaches to design and evaluate ideotypes for specific environments. In: BoumaJ, KuyvenhovenA, BoumanBAM, LuytenJC, ZandstraHG, eds. Eco-regional approaches for sustainable land use and food production. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 417–435. , , , .
- 2006. C3 photosynthesis in silico. Photosynthesis Research 90: 45–66. , ,
- 2003. Carbon and nitrogen assimilation in relation to yield: mechanisms are the key to understanding production systems. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 773–787. .
- 1995. A critical appraisal of a combined stomatal-photosynthesis model for C3 plants. Plant, Cell & Environment 18: 339–355.
- 2006. Food for thought: lower-than-expected crop yield stimulation with rising CO2 concentrations. Science 312: 1918–1921. , , , , .
- 2000. Photosynthesis, plant growth and N allocation in transgenic rice plants with decreased Rubisco under CO2 enrichment. Journal of Experimental Botany 51: 383–389. , , , ,
- 2000. Crop improvement in the 21st century. Journal of Experimental Botany 51: 1–8.
- 2003. Achieving the in silico plant. Systems biology and the future of plant biological research. Plant Physiology 132: 404–409. .
- 2006. Supercharging rice photosynthesis to increase yield. New Phytologist 171: 688–693. , .
- 2005. Flowering response of rice to photoperiod and temperature: a QTL analysis using a phenological model. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 110: 778–786. , , , , ,
- 2003. Building integrated models of plant growth and development. Plant Physiology 132: 436–439. , ,
- 1998. A re-evaluation of the ATP:NADPH budget during C3 photosynthesis: a contribution from nitrate assimilation and its associated respiratory activity? Journal of Experimental Botany 49: 1895–1908. , .
- 1999. Crossing rice strains to keep Asia's rice bowls brimming. Science 283: 313.
- 1979. Accountability, philosophy and plant physiology. Search 10: 347–350. .
- 1989. Simulation of ecophysiological processes of growth in several annual crops. Wageningen, the Netherlands: Pudoc. , , ,
- 2005. Analysing the genetic control of peach fruit quality through an ecophysiological model combined with a QTL approach. Journal of Experimental Botany 56: 3083–3092. , , ,
- 2003. Combining quantitative trait loci analysis and an ecophysiological model to analyze the genetic variability of the responses of maize leaf growth to temperature and water deficit. Plant Physiology 131: 664–675. , , , ,
- 1995. Possibility of increasing yield potential of rice by reducing panicle height in the canopy. I. Effects of panicles on light interception and canopy photosynthesis. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 22: 441–451. , , , .
- 1994. Physiological considerations and hybrid rice. In: CassmanKG, ed. Breaking the yield barrier. Proceedings of a workshop on rice yield potential in favorable environments. Los Baños, Philippines: International Rice Research Institute, 39–62. , , , , , .
- 1989. Leaf nitrogen, photosynthesis, and crop radiation use efficiency: a review. Crop Science 29: 90–98. ,
- 2004. Crop transformation and the challenge to increase yield potential. Trends in Plant Science 9: 70–75. , , .
- 1975. Photosynthate and nitrogen requirements for seed production by various crops. Science 189: 565–567. , .
- 2007. A QTL for rice grain width and weight encodes a previously unknown RING-type E3 ubiquitin ligase. Nature Genetics 39: 623–630. , , , ,
- 2007. Scale and complexity in plant systems research: gene-plant-crop relations. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Springer. , , .
- 2007. A dialogue on interdisciplinary collaboration to bridge the gap between plant genomics and crop sciences. In: SpiertzJHJ, StruikPC, Van LaarHH, eds. Scale and complexity in plant systems research: gene-plant-crop relations. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Springer, 319–328. , ,
- 2007. Hd3a protein is a mobile flowering signal in rice. Science 316: 1033–1036. , , , ,
- 2003. Virtual plants: modelling as a tool for the genomics of tolerance to water deficit. Trends in Plant Science 8: 9–14.
- 2006. Genomics-based approaches to improve drought tolerance of crops. Trends in Plant Science 11: 405–411. ,
- 2006. A NAC gene regulating senescence improves grain protein, zinc, and iron content in wheat. Science 314: 1298–1301. , , , ,
- 2003. Introduction to the papers presented at the symposium ‘Crop Modeling and Genomics’. Agronomy Journal 95: 1–3.
- 2003. Genetic neural network model of flowering time control in Arabidopsis thaliana. Agronomy Journal 95: 71–81. , ,
- 1996. Simulating effects of genes for physiological traits in a process-oriented crop model. Agronomy Journal 88: 416–422. ,
- 2003. Gene-based approach to crop simulation: past experiences and future opportunities. Agronomy Journal 95: 52–64. ,
- 2004. Physiology, genomics and crop response to global change. Field Crops Research 90: 1–3. , , .
- 1965. Photosynthesis of leaf canopy. Agricultural Research Report 663. Wageningen, the Netherlands: Pudoc. .
- 1978. Simulation of assimilation, respiration and transpiration of crops. Wageningen, the Netherlands: Pudoc. .
- 2005. Need for multidisciplinary research towards a second Green Revolution. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 8: 337–341. , ,
- 2002. Potential impacts of global elevated CO2 concentrations on plants. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 5: 207–211. .
- 2006. The wheat and barley vernalization gene VRN3 is an orthologue of FT. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 103: 19581–19586. , , , , , , , , ,
- 2001. Genetic control of flowering time in rice, a short-day plant. Plant Physiology 127: 1425–1429. , , , ,
- 2002. Use of component analysis in QTL mapping of complex crop traits: a case study on yield in barley. Plant Breeding 121: 314–319. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Mathematical review of literature to assess alternative electron transports and interphotosystem excitation partitioning of steady-state C3 photosynthesis under limiting light. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 1771–1782 (corrigendum in 29: 2252). , , .
- A model of the generalized stoichiometry of electron transport-limited C3 photosynthesis: development and applications. In: LaiskA, NedbalL, Govindjee, eds. Photosynthesis in silico: understanding complexity from molecules to ecosystems. Advances in Photosynthesis and Respiration. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Springer. , , . (in press).
- 1997. Photoperiodically sensitive and insensitive phases of preflowering development in rice. Crop Science 37: 182–190. , , .
- 2005. Crop systems dynamics: an ecophysiological simulation model for genotype-by-environment interactions. Wageningen, the Netherlands: Wageningen Academic Publishers. , .
- 2000. A generic equation for nitrogen-limited leaf area index and its application in crop growth models for predicting leaf senescence. Annals of Botany 85: 579–585. , , , , .
- 1999. AFLP mapping of quantitative trait loci for yield-determining physiological characters in spring barley. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 99: 244–253. , , , .
- 2007. Crop systems biology: an approach to connect functional genomics with crop modelling. In: SpiertzJHJ, StruikPC, Van LaarHH, eds. Scale and complexity in plant systems research: gene-plant-crop relations. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Springer, 61–71. , .
- 2005. QTL analysis and QTL-based prediction of flowering phenology in recombinant inbred lines of barley. Journal of Experimental Botany 56: 967–976. , , , ,
- 2004. Roles of crop physiology in predicting gene-to-phenotype relationships. Trends in Plant Science 9: 426–432. , , .
- 2004. The slow reversibility of photosystem II thermal energy dissipation on transfer from high to low light may cause large losses in canopy gain by crop canopies: a theoretical analysis. Journal of Experimental Botany 55: 1167–1175. , , , .