Mention of a trademark or proprietary product does not constitute a guarantee or warranty of the product by the US Department of Agriculture and does not imply its approval to the exclusion of other products that may also be suitable.
Soybean defense responses to the soybean aphid
Version of Record online: 14 APR 2008
No claim to original US government works. Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 179, Issue 1, pages 185–195, July 2008
How to Cite
Li, Y., Zou, J., Li, M., Bilgin, D. D., Vodkin, L. O., Hartman, G. L. and Clough, S. J. (2008), Soybean defense responses to the soybean aphid. New Phytologist, 179: 185–195. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02443.x
- Issue online: 14 APR 2008
- Version of Record online: 14 APR 2008
- Received: 10 December 2007 Accepted: 12 February 2008
- 2003. Genetic and physical localization of the soybean rpg1-b disease resistance gene reveals a complex locus containing several tightly linked families of nbs-lrr genes. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 16: 817–826. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2003. Biotypic and pest status differences between Hungarian and South African populations of Russian wheat aphid, diuraphis noxia (kurdjumov) (homoptera: Aphididae). Pest Management Science 59: 1152–1158.
- 1994. An early indicator of resistance in barley to russian wheat aphid. Plant Physiology 105: 1289–1294. , , , .
- 1995. A chloroplast lipoxygenase is required for wound-induced jasmonic acid accumulation in Arabidopsis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 92: 8675–8679. , , .
- 1995. Foliar oxidative stress and insect herbivory – primary compounds, secondary metabolites, and reactive oxygen species as components of induced resistance. Journal of Chemical Ecology 21: 1511–1530. , .
- 1992. Elicitor-induced and wound-induced oxidative cross-linking of a proline-rich plant-cell wall protein – a novel, rapid defense response. Cell 70: 21–30. , , .
- 1994. Function of oxidative cross-linking of cell wall structural proteins in plant disease resistance. Plant Cell 6: 1703–1712. , ,
- 2002. Resistance gene homologues in melon are linked to genetic loci conferring disease and pest resistance. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 104: 1055–1063. , , , , , , , ,
- 2001. Uncoupling resistance from cell death in the hypersensitive response of Nicotiana species to Cauliflower mosaic virus infection. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 14: 31–41. , , , .
- 2007. Exploring plant responses to aphid feeding using a full Arabidopsis microarrray reveals a small number of genes with significantly altered expression. Bulletin of Entomological Research 97: 523–532. , , , ,
- 2005. Signal signature and transcriptome changes of Arabidopsis during pathogen and insect attack. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 18: 923–937. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1999. Salicylic acid and disease resistance in plants. Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences 18: 547–575. , , .
- 2007. Feeding behavior by the soybean aphid (Hemiptera: Aphididae) on resistant and susceptible soybean genotypes. Journal of Economical Entomology 100: 984–989. , , , , .
- 2006. Characterization of antibiosis and antixenosis to the soybean aphid (Hemiptera: Aphididae) in several soybean genotypes. Journal of Economical Entomology 99: 1884–1889. , , , .
- 2004. Developmental regulation of Mi-mediated aphid resistance is independent of Mi-1.2 transcript levels. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 17: 532–536. , , , .
- 2001. Variability in the response of Macrosiphum euphorbiae and Myzus persicae (Hemiptera: Aphididae) to the tomato resistance gene Mi. Environmental Entomology 30: 101–106. , , .
- 2003. Induced expression of pathogenesis-related protein genes in soybean by wounding and the Phytophthora sojae cell wall glucan elicitor. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 63: 141–149. , , , , .
- 2001. Rsv1-mediated resistance against soybean mosaic virus-n is hypersensitive response-independent at inoculation site, but has the potential to initiate a hypersensitive response-like mechanism. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 14: 587–598. , .
- 2001. Occurrence and distribution of Aphis glycines on soybeans in Illinois in 2000 and its potential control. Plant Health Progress. doi: 10.1094/PHP-2001-0205-01-HN , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1997. Designation of a new greenbug, biotype k, injurious to resistant sorghum. Crop Science 37: 989–991. , , .
- 2004. Resistance to the soybean aphid in soybean germplasm. Crop Science 44: 98–106. , , .
- 2006. A single dominant gene for resistance to the soybean aphid in the soybean cultivar Dowling. Crop Science 46: 1601–1605. , , .
- 2004. Differentially enhanced insect resistance, at a cost, in Arabidopsis thaliana constitutively expressing a transcription factor of defensive metabolites. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 52: 5135–5138. , .
- 2004. Gene-for-gene disease resistance: bridging insect pest and pathogen defense. Journal of Chemical Ecology 30: 2419–2438.
- 2001. Experimental design for gene expression microarrays. Biostatistics 2: 183–201. , .
- Discovery of soybean aphids biotypes. Crop Sciences. , , , , . (in press).
- 2005. Aphid resistance in Medicago truncatula involves antixenosis and phloem-specific, inducible antibiosis, and maps to a single locus flanked by NBS-LRR resistance gene analogs. Plant Physiology 137: 1445–1455. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Molecular biology of jasmonic acid biosynthesis in plants. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 37: 373–380. , .
- 1994. H2O2 from the oxidative burst orchestrates the plant hypersensitive disease resistance response. Cell 79: 583–593. , , ,
- 2007. Soybean aphid resistance genes in the soybean cultivars Dowling and Jackson map to linkage group m. Molecular Breeding 19: 25–34. , , , , .
- 2004. Effect of three resistant soybean genotypes on the fecundity, mortality, and maturation of soybean aphid (Homoptera: Aphididae). Journal of Economic Entomology 97: 1106–1111. , , .
- 2002. Differential gene expression patterns revealed by oligonucleotide versus cDNA arrays. Toxicological Sciences 69: 383–390. , , .
- 2001. Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative pcr and the 2−δδct method. Methods 25: 402–408. , .
- 2001. Mi-1.2 transcripts accumulate ubiquitously in root-knot nematode resistant Lycopersicon esculentum. Journal of Nematology 33: 116–120. ,
- 2001. The tomato Rme1 locus is required for Mi-1-mediated resistance to root-knot nematodes and the potato aphid. Plant Journal 27: 417–425. , ,
- 2003. Aphid-induced defense responses in Mi-1-mediated compatible and incompatible tomato interactions. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 16: 699–708. , ,
- 1997. Jasmonate is essential for insect defense arabidopsis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 94: 5473–5477. , , , ,
- 1965. Identification of electrically recorded curve patterns associated with aphid salivation and ingestion. Nature 205: 1130–1131. , .
- 1999. Aphid saliva. Biological Reviews 74: 41–85. .
- 1998. The root knot nematode resistance gene Mi from tomato is a member of the leucine zipper, nucleotide binding, leucine-rich repeat family of plant genes. Plant Cell 10: 1307–1319. , , , , , .
- 2002. Salicylic acid is involved in resistance responses in the russian wheat aphid-wheat interaction. Journal of Plant Physiology 159: 585–590. , .
- 2002. Gene expression profiling of arabidopsis thaliana in compatible plant-aphid interactions. Archives of Insect Biochemistry and Physiology 51: 182–203. , , , .
- 2001. Molecular responses to aphid feeding in arabidopsis in relation to plant defense pathways. Plant Physiology 125: 1074–1085. , .
- 1994. Ultrastructural responses of resistant and susceptible wheat to infestation by greenbug biotype-e (Homoptera, Aphididae). Annals of the Entomological Society of America 87: 908–917. , , , , , .
- 1995. Pathogenesis-related pr-1 proteins are antifungal. Isolation and characterization of three 14-kilodalton proteins of tomato and of a basic PR-1 of tobacco with inhibitory activity against Phytophthora infestans. Plant Physiology 108: 17–27. , , , , , , ,
- 2006. Identification of expression profiles of sorghum genes in response to greenbug phloem-feeding using cDNA subtraction and microarray analysis. Planta 223: 932–947. , ,
- 1997. Greenbug (Homoptera: Aphididae) biotypes: selected by resistant cultivars or preadapted opportunists? Journal of Economic Entomology 90: 1055–1065. , , , , .
- 1997. Arabidopsis enhanced disease susceptibility mutants exhibit enhanced susceptibility to several bacterial pathogens and alterations in PR-1 gene expression. Plant Cell 9: 305–316. , .
- 1998. The nematode resistance gene Mi of tomato confers resistance against the potato aphid. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 95: 9750–9754. , , , , , .
- 2004. Identification of russian wheat aphid (Homoptera: Aphididae) populations virulent to the DN4 resistance gene. Journal of Economic Entomology 97: 1112–1117. , , , , ,
- 2007. The molecular bases of plant resistance and defense responses to aphid feeding: current status. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata 122: 1–16. , .
- 1990. Study on the uses of aphid-resistant character in wild soybean. I. Aphid-resistance performance of f2 generation from crosses between cultivated and wild soybeans. Soybean Genetics Newsletter 17: 43–48. , ,
- 2006. Transcriptomics and functional genomics of plant defence induction by phloem-feeding insects. Journal of Experimental Botany 57: 755–766. , .
- 2006. Salivary secretions by aphids interacting with proteins of phloem wound responses. Journal of Experimental Botany 57: 739–745. .
- 1992. Acquired resistance in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 4: 645–656. , , , , , , , , ,
- 2004. Assessing the invasion by soybean aphid (Homoptera: Aphididae): where will it end? Annals of the Entomological Society of America 97: 219–226. , .
- 2004. Microarrays for global expression constructed with a low redundancy set of 27 500 sequenced cDNAs representing an array of developmental stages and physiological conditions of the soybean plant. BMC Genomics 5: 73. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1998a. Beta-1,3-glucanases in wheat and resistance to the Russian wheat aphid. Physiologia Plantarum 103: 125–131. , , .
- 1998b. Differential induction of apoplastic peroxidase and chitinase activities in susceptible and resistant wheat cultivars by Russian wheat aphid infestation. Plant Cell Reports 18: 132–137. , , .
- 1997. Activation of host defense mechanisms by elevated production of h2o2 in transgenic plants. Plant Physiology 115: 427–435. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Maanova: a software package for the analysis of spotted cdna microarray experiments. In: ParmigianiG, GarrettES, IrizarryRA, ZegerSL, eds. The analysis of gene expression data: methods and softwares. New York, NY, USA: Springer, 313–341. , , ,
- 2007. Review of the literature examining the correlation among DNA microarray technologies. Environmental and Molecular Mutagenesis 48: 380–394. ,
- 1998. Gene-for-gene disease resistance without the hypersensitive response in Arabidopsis dnd1 mutant. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 95: 7819–7824. , , .
- 2004. Transcriptional regulation of sorghum defense determinants against a phloem-feeding aphid. Plant Physiology 134: 420–431. , , ,
- 2005. Expression profiling soybean response to pseudomonas syringae reveals new defense-related genes and rapid HR-specific downregulation of photosynthesis. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 18: 1161–1174. , , , , , , , , .