Two voltage-dependent calcium channels co-exist in the apical plasma membrane of Arabidopsis thaliana root hairs
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
© The Authors (2008). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 179, Issue 2, pages 378–385, July 2008
How to Cite
Miedema, H., Demidchik, V., Véry, A.-A., Bothwell, J. H. F., Brownlee, C. and Davies, J. M. (2008), Two voltage-dependent calcium channels co-exist in the apical plasma membrane of Arabidopsis thaliana root hairs. New Phytologist, 179: 378–385. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02465.x
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Received: 1 February 2008; Accepted: 5 March 2008
- 2004. AtTPK4, an Arabidopsis tandem-pore K+ channel, poised to control the pollen membrane voltage in a pH- and Ca2+-dependent manner. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 44: 15621–15626. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2007. The function of the NADPH oxidase of phagocytes, and its relationship to other NOXs. Biochemical Society Transactions 35: 1100–1103. , .
- 1999. Microtubules regulate tip growth and orientation in root hairs of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 17: 657–665. , ,
- 1988. Potassium-dependent, bipolar gating of K+ channels in guard cells. Journal of Membrane Biology 102: 235–246. .
- 2007. A gain-of-function allele of TPC1 activates oxylipin biogenesis after leaf wounding in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 49: 889–898. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Osmotic stress and abscisic acid reduce cytosolic calcium activities in roots of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant, Cell & Environment 19: 1291–1298. , .
- 2001. Effect of desiccation on potassium and anion currents from young root hairs: implications on tip growth. Physiologia Plantarum 113: 79–84. , , , ,
- 2002. Arabidopsis thaliana root nonselective cation channels mediate calcium uptake and are involved in growth. Plant Journal 32: 799–808. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Free oxygen radicals regulate plasma membrane Ca2+- and K+-permeable channels in plant root cells. Journal of Cell Science 116: 81–88. , , , , .
- 2007. Spatial variation in H2O2 response of Arabidopsis thaliana root epidermal Ca2+ flux and plasma membrane Ca2+ channels. Plant Journal 49: 377–386. , , .
- 2004. Characteristics of anion channels in the plasma membrane of Arabidopsis epidermal root cells and the identification of a citrate-permeable channel induced by phosphate starvation. Plant Physiology 136: 4136–4149. , , , .
- 1998. The role of ion fluxes in Nod factor signalling in Medicago sativa. Plant Journal 13: 455–463. , , ,
- 1993. Calculation and control of free divalent cations in solutions used for membrane fusion studies. Methods in Enzymology 221: 149–157. , ,
- 2003. Reactive oxygen species produced by NADPH oxidase regulate plant cell growth. Nature 422: 442–446. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2001. A putative two pore channel AtTPC1 mediates Ca2+ flux in Arabidopsis leaf cells. Plant and Cell Physiology 42: 900–905. , ,
- 1994. Inward-rectifying K+ channels in root hairs of wheat. A mechanism for aluminium-sensitive low-affinity K+ uptake and membrane potential control. Plant Physiology 105: 1399–1408. , .
- 1998. Membrane voltage initiates Ca2+ waves and potentiates Ca2+ increases with abscisic acid in stomatal guard cells. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 95: 4778–4783. , .
- 2000. Ca2+ channels at the plasma membrane of stomatal guard cells are activated by hyperpolarisation and abscisic acid. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 97: 4967–4972. , , , .
- 1995. Tip growth in root hair cells of Sinapsis alba L.: significance of internal and external Ca2+ and pH. New Phytologist. 129: 523–533. , .
- 2004. The generation of Ca2+ signals in plants. Annual Review of Plant Biology 55: 401–427. ,
- 1992. Ionic channels of excitable membranes, 2nd edn. Sunderland, MA, USA: Sinauer Associates Inc., 105–108.
- 2001. K+ channel profile and electrical properties of Arabidopsis root hairs. FEBS Letters 508: 463–469. , , , , ,
- 2000. Hyperpolarization-activated calcium currents found only in cells from the elongation zone of Arabidopsis thaliana roots. Plant Journal 21: 225–229. , , ,
- 2000. Ion currents involved in early Nod factor response in Medicago sativa root hairs: a discontinuous single-electrode voltage-clamp study. Plant Journal 22: 9–17. , , , , , ,
- 2007. In planta AKT2 subunits constitute a pH- and Ca2+-sensitive inward rectifying K+ channel. Planta 225: 1179–1191. , , , , , , ,
- 1991a. Electrogenic transport properties of growing Arabidopsis root hairs. Plant Physiology 97: 1527–1534. .
- 1991b. Substrate regulation of single potassium and chloride ion channels in Arabidopsis plasma membrane. Plant Physiology 95: 642–647. .
- 1998. Nonselective block by La3+ of Arabidopsis ion channels involved in signal transduction. Journal of Membrane Biology 162: 81–90. , .
- 2001. Time course of cell biological events evoked in legume root hairs by rhizobium Nod factors: state of the art. Annals of Botany 87: 289–302. , , , , .
- 2001. Calcium uptake by plant cells – channels and pumps acting in concert. Trends in Plant Sciences 11: 514–519. , , , .
- 1995. geochem-PC: a chemical speciation program for IBM and compatible personal computers. In: LoeppertRH, SchwabAP, GoldbergS, eds. Chemical equilibrium and reaction models. SSSA Special publication number 42, Madison, WC, USA: Soil Science Society of America/American Society of Agronomy, 253–269. , , .
- 2005. The vacuolar Ca2+-activated channel TPC1 regulates germination and stomatal movement. Nature 434: 404–408. , , , , , ,
- 2002. AtKC1, a silent Arabidopsis potassium channel α-subunit modulates root hair K+ influx. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 99: 4079–4084. , , , , , , ,
- 2006. Plasma membrane anion channels in higher plants and their putative functions in roots. New Phytologist 169: 647–666. .
- 1987. Voltage-dependence of K+ channels in guard cell protoplasts. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 84: 4109–4112. , ,
- 1992. Direct effects of Ca2+-channel blockers on plasma membrane cation channels of Amaranthus tricolor protoplasts. Journal of Experimental Botany 43: 1457–1473. , , .
- 1989. Direct measurement of K+ channels in thylakoid membranes by incorporation of vesicles into planar lipid bilayers. Plant Physiology 91: 249–252. , .
- 1998. Plasma membrane depolarization-activated calcium channels, stimulated by microtubule-depolymerizing drugs in wild-type Arabidopsis thaliana protoplasts, display constitutively large activities and a longer half-life in ton 2 mutant cells affected in the organization of cortical microtubules. Plant Journal 13: 603–610. , , , , , ,
- 1996. Activation of plasma membrane voltage-dependent calcium-permeable channels by disruption of microtubules in carrot cells. FEBS Letters 393: 13–18. , , , , , ,
- 1994b. Recruitment of plasma membrane voltage-dependent calcium-permeable channels in carrot cells. EMBO Journal 13: 5843–5847. , , ,
- 1994a. Voltage-dependent calcium-permeable channels in the plasma membrane of a higher plant cell. EMBO Journal 13: 2970–2975. , , , .
- 1995. Normal differentiation patterns in plants lacking microtubular preprophase bands. Nature 375: 676–677. , , , , ,
- 2000. Hyperpolarization-activated calcium channels at the tip of Arabidopsis root hairs. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 97: 9801–9806. , .
- 1994. Calcium-activated K+ channels and calcium-induced calcium release by slow vacuolar ion channels in guard cell vacuoles implicated in the control of stomatal closure. Plant Cell 6: 669–683. , .
- 2000. Calcium channels in higher plants. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1465: 171–189. .
- 1997. Cytoplasmic free calcium distributions during the development of root hairs of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 12: 427–439. , ,
- 2002. Oscillatory chloride efflux at the pollen tube apex has a role in growth and cell volume regulation and is targeted by inositol 3,4,5,6-tetrakisphosphate. Plant Cell 14: 2233–2249. , , , .