Senescence: developmental program or timetable?
Version of Record online: 22 APR 2008
© The Authors (2008). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 179, Issue 3, pages 575–579, August 2008
How to Cite
Jansson, S. and Thomas, H. (2008), Senescence: developmental program or timetable?. New Phytologist, 179: 575–579. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02471.x
- Issue online: 15 JUL 2008
- Version of Record online: 22 APR 2008
- 2004. A transcriptional timetable of autumn senescence. Genome Biology 5: R2. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2003. Gene expression in autumn leaves. Plant Physiology 131: 430–442. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1996. The origin of developmental physiology of plants in Germany. International Journal of Developmental Biology 40: 89–92.
- 1997. The molecular biology of leaf senescence. Journal of Experimental Botany 48: 181–199.
- 2003. The molecular analysis of leaf senescence – a genomics approach. Plant Biotechnology Journal 1: 3–22. , , , , , ,
- 2005. Comparative transcriptome analysis reveals significant differences in gene expression and signalling pathways between developmental and dark/starvation-induced senescence in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 42: 567–585. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2005. Characterization of markers to determine the extent and variability of leaf senescence in Arabidopsis. A metabolic profiling approach. Plant Physiology 138: 898–908. , , , , ,
- 2005. AUXIN RESPONSE FACTOR1 and AUXIN RESPONSE FACTOR2 regulate senescence and floral organ abscission in Arabidopsis thaliana. Development 132: 4563–4574. , , , , , .
- 2004. Transcriptome of Arabidopsis leaf senescence. Plant, Cell & Environment 27: 521–549. , ,
- 2005. Leaf canopy as a dynamic system: ecophysiology and optimality in leaf turnover. Annals of Botany 95: 521–533.
- 2001. Identification of a transcription factor specifically expressed at the onset of leaf senescence. Planta 213: 469–473. ,
- 2007. Regulation and execution of molecular disassembly and catabolism during senescence. New Phytologist 175: 201–214. , , , , , , .
- 2004. The loss of green color during chlorophyll degradation – a prerequisite to prevent cell death? Planta 219: 191–194.
- 2003. Ageing in plants: conserved strategies and novel pathways. Plant Biology 5: 455–464. , , .
- 2005. Ethylene-induced leaf senescence depends on age-related changes and OLD genes in Arabidopsis. Journal of Experimental Botany 56: 2915–2923. , , , .
- 1972. Apoptosis: a basic biological phenomenon with wide-ranging implications in tissue kinetics. British Journal of Cancer 26: 239–257. , , .
- 2005. A cellular timetable of autumn senescence. Plant Physiology 139:1635–1648. , , ,
- 1997. Chlorophyll a fluorescence, enzyme and antioxidant analysis provide evidence for the operation of an alternative electron sink during leaf senescence in a stay-green mutant of Festuca pratensis. Plant, Cell & Environment 20: 1323–1337. , , .
- 2007. Overexpression of a chromatin architecture-controlling AT-hook protein extends leaf longevity and increases the post-harvest storage life of plants. Plant Journal 52: 1140–1153. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2003. Molecular genetics of leaf senescence in Arabidopsis. Trends in Plant Science 8: 272–278. , , .
- 2004. Molecular events in senescing Arabidopsis leaves. Plant Journal 39: 612–628. ,
- 2007. Natural phenological variation in aspen (Populus tremula): the SwAsp collection. Tree Genetics and Genomes 4: 1614–2942. , , , , ,
- 2007. Allometric scaling of plant life history. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 104: 15777–15780. , ,
- 2007. The genetic control of senescence revealed by mapping quantitative trait loci. Annual Plant Reviews 26: 171–201. , , , , ,
- 2008. The control of chlorophyll catabolism and the status of yellowing as a biomarker of leaf senescence. Plant Biology (in press). , , , , , ,
- 2005. The colors of autumn leaves as symptoms of cellular recycling and defenses against environmental stresses. Current Topics in Developmental Biology 66: 135–160. , ,
- 2006. Arabidopsis cytokinin receptor mutants reveal functions in shoot growth, leaf senescence, seed size, germination, root development, and cytokinin metabolism. Plant Cell 18: 40–54. , , ,
- 2005. A gene expression map of Arabidopsis thaliana development. Nature Genetics 37: 501–506. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. UPSC-BASE – Populus transcriptomics online. Plant Journal 48: 806–817. , , , , , , ,
- 1994. Gene expression during leaf senescence. New Phytologist 126: 419–448. .
- 2003. The diverse roles of ubiquitin and the 26S proteasome in the life of plants. Nature Reviews Genetics 4: 948–958. , , .
- 2008. Systems biology and the biology of systems: how, if at all, are they related? New Phytologist 177: 11–15.
- 1988. Photobleaching of chloroplast pigments in leaves of a nonyellowing mutant genotype of Festuca pratensis. Phytochemistry 27: 345–348. ,
- 2000. Annuality, perenniality and cell death. Journal of Experimental Botany 51: 1–8. , , .
- 2003. Defining senescence and death. Journal of Experimental Botany 54: 1127–1132. , , , .
- 2001. The capture and gratuitous disposal of resources by plants. Functional Ecology 15: 3–12. , .
- 1980. Leaf senescence. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 31: 83–111. , .
- 2004. Regulation of senescence by eukaryotic translation initiation factor 5A: implications for plant growth and development. Trends in Plant Science 9: 174–179. , , ,
- 1964. Dormancy in higher plants. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 15: 185–224.
- 2007. Transcriptional or posttranscriptional regulation – how does a plant know when to senesce? New Phytologist 175: 1–4.
- 1999a. Regreening of senescent Nicotiana leaves. I. Reappearance of NADPH-protochlorophyllide oxidoreductase and light-harvesting chlorophyll a/b-binding protein. Journal of Experimental Botany 50: 1677–1682. , , , , .
- 1999b. Regreening of senescent Nicotiana leaves. II. Redifferentiation of plastids. Journal of Experimental Botany 50: 1683–1689. , , , .