Constitutive expression of a rice GTPase-activating protein induces defense responses
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
© The Authors (2008). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 179, Issue 2, pages 530–545, July 2008
How to Cite
Cheung, M.-Y., Zeng, N.-Y., Tong, S.-W., Li, W.-Y. F., Xue, Y., Zhao, K.-J., Wang, C., Zhang, Q., Fu, Y., Sun, Z., Sun, S. S.-M. and Lam, H.-M. (2008), Constitutive expression of a rice GTPase-activating protein induces defense responses. New Phytologist, 179: 530–545. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02473.x
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Received: 4 January 2008; Accepted: 8 March 2008
- 1995. Genetic diversity of Xanthomonas oryzae pv. oryzae in Asia. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 61: 966–971. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Heterotrimeric and unconventional GTP binding proteins in plant cell signaling. The Plant Cell 14 (Suppl.): s355–s373. .
- 1995. Current protocols in molecular biology. New York, NY, USA: John Wiley and Sons, Inc. , , , , , ,
- 2008. Jasmonate signalling network in Arabidopsis thaliana: crucial regulatory nodes and new physiological scenarios. New Phytologist 177: 301–318. ,
- 1998. In planta, Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of adult Arabidopsis thaliana plants by vacuum infiltration. Methods in Molecular Biology 82: 259–266. ,
- 2006. Fine-tuning plant defence signalling: salicylate versus jasmonate. Plant Biology 8: 1–10. , .
- 1995. Cholera toxin elevates pathogen resistance and induces pathogenesis-related gene expression in tobacco. The EMBO Journal 14: 5753–5761. , , , , , , , ,
- 1998. Early signal transduction pathways in plant-pathogen interactions. Trends in Plant Science 3: 342–346. , , .
- 1998. The Arabidopsis thaliana RPM1 disease resistance gene product is a peripheral plasma membrane protein that is degraded coincident with the hypersensitive response. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 95: 15849–15854. , , .
- 1993. Ectopic overexpression of asparagines synthetase in transgenic tobacco. Plant Physiology 103: 1285–1290. , , , .
- 1994. Characterization of an Arabidopsis mutant that is nonresponsive to inducers of systemic acquired resistance. The Plant Cell 6: 1583–1592. , , ,
- 2002. Transcriptional profiling reveals novel interactions between wounding, pathogen, abiotic stress and hormonal responses in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 129: 661–677. , , , , ,
- 2005. Overexpression of a rice NPR1 homolog leads to constitutive activation of defense response and hypersensitivity to light. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 18: 511–520. , , , , .
- 2001. Evidence for a disease-resistance pathway in rice similar to the NPR1-mediated signaling pathway in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 27: 101–113. , , , , , .
- 2007. Expression of a RING-HC protein from rice improves resistance to Pseudomonas syringae pv. tomato DC3000 in transgenic Arabidopsis thaliana. Journal of Experimental Botany 58: 4147–4159. , , , , , , ,
- 1993. Alteration of β-tubulin gene expression during low-temperature exposure in leaves of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Physiology 103: 371–377. , , .
- 2004. The Ton system, an ABC transporter, and a universally conserved GTPase are involved in iron utilization by Brucella melitensis 16 M. Infection and Immunity 72: 5783–5790. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1999. Characterization of DRGs, developmentally regulated GTP-binding proteins, from pea and Arabidopsis. Plant Molecular Biology. 39: 75–82. , , .
- 2003. Regulation of jasmonate-mediated plant responses in Arabidopsis. Annals of Botany 92: 329–337. , .
- 2005. Jasmonate-regulated Arabidopsis stress signalling network. Physiologia Plantarum 123: 161–172. , .
- 2004. NPR1, all things considered. Current Opinion of Plant Biology 7: 547–552.
- 1999. Characterization of AtDRG1, a member of a new class of GTP-binding proteins in plants. Plant Molecular Biology 39: 1113–1126. , , , .
- 1999. Eds1, an essential component of R gene-mediated disease resistance in Arabidopsis has homology to eukaryotic lipases. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 96: 3292–3297. , , , , , .
- 2005. Redox control of systemic acquired resistance. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 8: 378–382. ,
- 2004. Identification of novel virulence-associated genes via genome analysis of hypothetical genes. Infection and Immunity 72: 1333–1340. , , ,
- 2003. Interactions between plant RING-H2 and plant-specific NAC (NAM/ATAF1/2/CUC2) proteins: RING-H2 molecular specificity and cellular localization. The Biochemical Journal 371: 97–108. , , , ,
- 1994. Efficient transformation of rice (Oryza sativa L.) mediated by Agrobacterium and sequence analysis of the boundaries of the T-DNA. Plant Journal 6: 271–282. , , ,
- 2003. Regulation of Arabidopsis COPINE 1 gene expression in response to pathogens and abiotic stimuli. Plant Physiology 132: 1370–1381. , .
- 1998. Integral membrane protein sorting to vacuoles in plant cells: evidence for two pathways. Journal of Cell Biology 143: 1183–1199. , .
- 2004. Plants: the latest model system for G-protein research. EMBO Reports 5: 572–578. , .
- 1973. An improved technique for evaluating resistance to rice varieties of Xanthomonas oryzae. Plant Disease Reporter 57: 537–541. , , , .
- 2002. Arabidopsis SON1 is an F-box protein that regulates a novel induced defense response independent of both salicyclic acid and systemic acquired resistance. The Plant Cell 14: 1469–1482. , .
- 2004. Alterations by a defect in a rice G protein a subunit in probenazole and pathogen-induced responses. Plant, Cell & Environment 27: 947–957. , , , , ,
- 1986. The promoter of TL-DNA gene 5 controls the tissue-specific expression of chimeric genes carried by a novel type of Agrobacterium binary vector. Molecular and General Genetics 204: 383–396. ,
- 1998. Ca2+/phospholipid-binding (C2) domain in multiple plant proteins: novel components of the calcium-sensing apparatus. Plant Molecular Biology 36: 627–637. , , ,
- 1999. Arabidopsis thaliana‘extra-large GTP-binding protein’ (AtXLG1): a new class of G-protein. Plant Molecular Biology 40: 55–64. , .
- 1992. Evidence for participation of GTP-binding proteins in elicitation of the rapid oxidative burst in cultured soybean cells. Journal of Biological Chemistry 267: 20140–20147. , , .
- 2002. Classification and evolution of P-loop GTPases and related ATPases. Journal of Molecular Biology 317: 41–72. , , ,
- 2005. Genetic and physical mapping of Pi36(t), a novel rice blast resistance gene located on rice chromosome 8. Molecular Genetics and Genomics 274: 394–401. , , , , .
- 2001. Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the 2-ΔΔct method. Methods 25: 402–408. , .
- 2003. Phospholipid-based signaling in plants. Annual Review of Plant Biology 54: 265–306. ,
- 1996. Cloning and characterization of a probenazole-inducible gene for an intracellular pathogenesis-related protein in rice. Plant and Cell Physiology 37: 9–18. ,
- 2001. Comparative genomics of prokaryotic GTP-binding proteins (the Era, Obg, EngA, ThdF (TrmE), YchF and YihA families) and their relationship to eukaryotic GTP-binding proteins (the Drg, Arf, Rab, Ran, Ras and Rho families). Journal of Molecular Microbiology and Biotechnology 3: 21–35.
- 1999. Identification of a rice APETALA3 homologue by yeast two-hybrid screening. Plant Molecular Biology 40: 167–177. , , ,
- 2001. Characterization of PBZ1, a probenazole-inducible gene, in suspension-cultured rice cells. Bioscience, Biotechnology, and Biochemistry 65: 205–208. , , , , , , , ,
- 2001. Essential role of the small GTPase Rac in disease resistance of rice. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 98: 759–764. , , ,
- 2004. NPR1: the spider in the web of induced resistance signaling pathways. Current Opinion of Plant Biology 7: 456–464. , .
- 2002. Signalling in rhizobacteria-induced systemic resistance in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Biology 4: 535–544. , , , , .
- 1997. The molecular basis of disease resistance in rice. Plant Molecular Biology 35: 179–186. .
- 2000. Marker gene expression driven by the maize ubiquitin promoter in transgenic wheat. Annals of Applied Biology 136: 167–172. , ,
- 1996. Systemic acquired resistance. The Plant Cell 8: 1809–1819. , , , , , .
- 2007. A RanGAP protein physically interacts with the NB-LRR protein Rx, and is required for Rx-mediated viral resistance. Plant Journal 52: 82–93. , ,
- 1997. Gene-expression patterns and levels of jasmonic acid in rice treated with resistance inducer 2,6-dichloroisonicotinic acid. Plant Physiology 115: 61–70. , ,
- 1995. Tobacco MAP kinase: a possible mediator in wound signal transduction pathways. Science 270: 1988–1992. , , , , ,
- 1995. Salicylic acid in rice (biosynthesis, conjugation, and possible role). Plant Physiology 108: 633–639. , , , , ,
- 2001. Molecular biology of disease resistance in rice. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 59: 1–11. , .
- 1995. A receptor kinase-like protein encoded by the rice disease resistance gene, Xa21. Science 270: 1804–1806. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2003. NPR1 modulates cross-talk between salicylate-and jasmonate-dependent defense pathways through a novel function in the cytosol. The Plant Cell 15: 760–770. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2001. Gefs: master regulators of G-protein activation. Trends in Biochemical Sciences 26: 266–267.
- 2002. The heterotrimeric G protein α subunit acts upstream of the small GTPase Rac in disease resistance of rice. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 99: 13307–13312. , , , , ,
- 2007. Physical association of the NB-LRR resistance protein Rx with a Ran GTPase-activating protein is required for extreme resistance to Potato virus X. The Plant Cell 19: 1682–1694. , .
- 2003. Crystal structure of the YchF protein reveals binding sites for GTP and nucleic acid. Journal of Bacteriology 185: 4031–4037. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Sucrose increases pathogenesis-related PR-2 gene expression in Arabidopsis thaliana through an SA-dependent but NPR1-independent signaling pathway. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 42: 81–88. , , ,
- 1998. Separate jasmonate-dependent and salicylate-dependent defense-response pathways in Arabidopsis are essential for resistance to distinct microbial pathogens. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 95: 15107–15111. , , , , , , .
- 2001. The complexity of disease signaling in Arabidopsis. Current Opinion of Immunology 13: 63–68. , , , .
- 1994. ClustalW: improving the sensitivity of progressive multiple sequence alignment through sequence weighting, position-specific gap panalties and weight matrix choice. Nucleic Acid Research 22: 4673–4680. , , .
- 2002. Differential effectiveness of salicylate-dependent and jasmonate/ethylene-dependent induced resistance in Arabidopsis. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 15: 27–34. , , , .
- 2006. Heterotrimeric G-proteins facilitate Arabidopsis resistance to necrotrophic pathogens and are involved in jasmonate signaling. Plant Physiology 140: 210–220. , , , , , .
- 2007. Heterotrimeric G protein γ subunits provide functional selectivity in Gβγ dimer signaling in Arabidopsis. The Plant Cell 19: 1235–1250. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. The jasmonate signal pathway. The Plant Cell 14: S153–164. , ,
- 1992. Acquired resistance in Arabidopsis. The Plant Cell 4: 645–656. , , , , , , , , ,
- 2000. The regulator of G protein signaling family. Annunal Review of Pharmacology and Toxicology 40: 235–271. , , , , .
- 1998. Xa21D encodes a receptor-like molecule with a leucine-rich repeat domain that determines race-specific recognition and is subject to adaptive evolution. The Plant Cell 10: 765–799. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1997. The ROOT HAIR DEFECTIVE 3 gene encodes an evolutionarily conserved protein with GTP-binding motifs and is required for regulated cell enlargement in Arabidopsis. Genes and Development 11: 799–811. , , , .
- 1999. Selective interaction of the C2 domains of phospholipase C-beta 1 and -beta 2 with activated Galphaq subunits: an alternative function for C2-signaling modules. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 96: 7843–7846. , , , , , ,
- 2003. Expression of the OsPI1 gene, cloned from rice roots using cDNA microarray, rapidly responds to phosphorus status. New Phytologist 158: 239–248. , , , ,
- 1999. Rhizobacteria-mediated induced systemic resistance (ISR) in Arabidopsis is not associated with a direct effect on expression of known defense-related genes but stimulates the expression of the jasmonate-inducible gene Atvsp upon challenge. Plant Molecular Biology 41: 537–549. , , , , .
- 2000. Enhancement of induced disease by simultaneous activation of salicylate- and jasmonate-defense pathways in Arabidopsis thaliana. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 97: 8711–8716. , , , , .
- 1992. A continuous spectrophotometric assay for inorganic phosphate and for measuring phosphate release kinetics in biological systems. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 89: 4884–4887. .
- 2003. Three types of defense-responsive genes are involved in resistance to bacterial blight and fungal blast diseases in rice. Molecular Genetics and Genomics 269: 331–339. , ,
- 1994. The N of tobacco confers resistance to tobacco mosaic virus in transgenic tomato. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 93: 8776–8781. , ,
- 2001. Identification of defense-related rice genes by suppression subtractive hybridization and differential screening. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 14: 685–692. , , ,
- 2001. Probenazole induces systemic acquired resistance in Arabidopsis with a novel type of action. Plant Journal 25: 149–157. , , ,
- 2001. Evidence for an important role of WRKY DNA binding proteins in the regulation of NPR1 gene expression. The Plant Cell 13: 1527–1540. , ,
- 2006. Breeding of selectable marker-free transgenic rice lines containing AP1 gene with enhanced disease resistance. Agricultural Sciences in China 5: 805–811. , , , , , , , ,
- 1996. Breeding of three near-isogenic japonica rice lines with different major genes for resistance to bacterial blight. Acta Agronomica Sinica 22: 135–141. , , , .
- 2001. The effectiveness of advanced rice lines with new resistance gene Xa23 to rice bacterial blight. Rice Genetics Newsletter 18: 71–73. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Rapidly obtaining the marker-free transgenic rice with three target genes by co-transformation an anther culture. Rice Science 14: 239–247. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Transcriptional activation of plant defense genes. Current Opinion in Genetics and Development 6: 624–630. , , ,