Cortical actin filaments at the division site of mitotic plant cells: a reconsideration of the ‘actin-depleted zone’
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
© The Author (2008). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 179, Issue 2, pages 334–341, July 2008
How to Cite
Panteris, E. (2008), Cortical actin filaments at the division site of mitotic plant cells: a reconsideration of the ‘actin-depleted zone’. New Phytologist, 179: 334–341. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02474.x
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Received: 25 January 2008; Accepted: 10 March 2008
- 1992. Phalloidin binds and stabilizes pea root actin. Cell Motility and the Cytoskeleton 22: 245–249. , .
- 2000. Actin amd myosin VIII in developing root apex cells. In: StaigerCJ, BaluškaF, VolkmannD, BarlowPW, eds. Actin: a dynamic framework for multiple plant cell functions. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 457–476. , ,
- 1997. Rearrangements of F-actin arrays in growing cells of intact maize root apex tissues: a major developmental switch occurs in the postmitotic transition region. European Journal of Cell Biology 72: 113–121. , , ,
- 2006. Organization and function of the actin cytoskeleton in developing root cells. International Review of Cytology 252: 219–264. , , .
- 2006. Microtubule-associated AIR9 recognizes the cortical division site at preprophase and cell-plate insertion. Current Biology 16: 1938–1943. , , , , , .
- 1990. Distribution and function of actin in the developing stomatal complex of winter rye (Secale cereale cv. Puma). Protoplasma 157: 154–164. , .
- 1991. Actin in the developing stomatal complexes of winter rye: a comparison of actin antibodies and Rh-phalloidin labeling of control and CB-treated tissues. Cell Motility and the Cytoskeleton 19: 25–36. , .
- 1985. Actin organization during the cell cycle in meristematic plant cells. Actin is present in the cytokinetic phragmoplast. Experimental Cell Research 156: 231–238. , .
- 1995. F-actin redistributions at the division site in living Tradescantia stomatal complexes as revealed by microinjection of rhodamine-phalloidin. Protoplasma 185: 152–165. .
- 1992. Microtubule and F-actin dynamics at the division site in living Tradescantia stamen hair cells. Journal of Cell Science 103: 977–988. , , , .
- 1998. The Tangled1 gene is required for spatial control of cytoskeletal arrays associated with cell division during maize leaf development. Plant Cell 10: 1875–1888. , .
- 2005. Actin microfilament and microtubule distribution patterns in the expanding root of Arabidopsis thaliana. Canadian Journal of Botany 83: 579–590. , .
- 2001. Demonstration of prominent actin filaments in the root columella. Planta 212: 392–403. , , , .
- 1990. Nucleus-associated microtubules help determine the division plane of plant epidermal cells: avoidance of four-way junctions and the role of cell geometry. Journal of Cell Biology 110: 1111–1122. , , , .
- 2006. Dynamics and structure of the preprophase band and the phragmoplast. In: NagataT, MatsuokaK, InzéD, eds. Biotechnology in Agriculture and Forestry, 58. Tobacco BY-2 cells: from cellular dynamics to omics. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag, 23–40. ,
- 1990. Actin filaments line up across Tradescantia epidermal cells, anticipating wound-induced division planes. Protoplasma 157: 92–101. , .
- 1991. Laser microsurgery demonstrates that cytoplasmic strands anchoring the nucleus across the vacuole of premitotic plant cells are under tension. Implications for division plane alignment. Development 113: 931–939. , , .
- 2006. Actin microfilaments regulate vacuolar structures and dynamics: dual observation of actin microfilaments and vacuolar membrane in living tobacco BY-2 cells. Plant and Cell Physiology 47: 839–852. , , , ,
- 2007. Actin microfilament dynamics and actin side-binding proteins in plants. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 10: 549–556. , ,
- 2003. Roles of actin-depleted zone and preprophase band in determining the division site of higher-plant cells, a tobacco BY-2 cell line expressing GFP-tubulin. Protoplasma 222: 157–165. , , ,
- 1987. Actin filaments in the preprophase band and phragmoplast of tobacco cells. Protoplasma 140: 151–156. ,
- 2002. Dynamic organization of vacuolar and microtubule structures during cell cycle progression in synchronized tobacco BY-2 cells. Plant and Cell Physiology 43: 965–973. ,
- 2003. Three-dimensional reconstruction of tubular structure of vacuolar membrane throughout mitosis in living tobacco cells. Plant and Cell Physiology 44: 1045–1054. , , ,
- 1992. Organization of cortical microfilaments in dividing root cells. Cell Motility and the Cytoskeleton 23: 252–264. , .
- 2007. Plant division: remembering where to build the wall. Current Biology 17: R1053–R1055. ,
- 1988. The role of F-actin in determining the division plane of carrot suspension cells. Drug studies. Development 102: 211–221. , .
- 2005. Enhanced fixation reveals the apical cortical fringe of actin filaments as a consistent feature of the pollen tube. Planta 221: 95–104. , , , .
- 2004. Plant cytoskeleton: reinforcing lines of division in plant cells. Current Biology 14: 287–289.
- 1991. Divergence and differential expression of actin gene families in higher plants. International Review of Cytology 125: 139–163. .
- 1999. The preprophase band of microtubules: its function as a cytokinetic apparatus in higher plants. International Review of Cytology 187: 1–50.
- 2002. Actomyosin promotes cell plate alignment and late lateral expansion in Tradescantia stamen hair cells. Planta 214: 683–693. , , .
- 1987. Actin in the preprophase band of Allium cepa. Journal of Cell Biology 104: 1515–1519. .
- 1992. The organization of F-actin in root tip cells of Adiantum capillus-veneris throughout the cell cycle. Protoplasma 170: 128–137. , ,
- 2006. Cytoskeletal asymmetry in Zea mays subsidiary cell mother cells: a monopolar prophase microtubule half-spindle anchors the nucleus to its polar position. Cell Motility and the Cytoskeleton 63: 696–709. , ,
- 2004. A cortical cytoplasmic ring predicts the division plane in vacuolated cells of Coleus: the role of actomyosin and microtubules in the establishment and function of the division site. New Phytologist 163: 271–286. , , ,
- 2007. Cortical actin filament organization in developing and functioning stomatal complexes of Zea mays and Triticum turgidum. Cell Motility and the Cytoskeleton 64: 531–548. , , ,
- 2005. Appearance of actin microfilament ‘twin peaks’ in mitosis and their function in cell plate formation, as imaged in tobacco BY-2 cells expressing GFP-fimbrin. Plant Journal 44: 595–605. , , , ,
- 1987. Characterization and dynamics of cytoplasmic F-actin in higher plant endosperm cells during interphase, mitosis, and cytokinesis. Journal of Cell Biology 105: 2157–2166. ,
- 1990. Microinjected fluorescent phalloidin in vivo reveals the F-actin dynamics and assembly in higher plant mitotic cells. Plant Cell 2: 129–138. ,
- 1987. Microfilaments: dynamic arrays in higher plant cells. Journal of Cell Biology 104: 995–1004. , , .
- 1989. Cortical fine actin filaments in higher plant cells imaged by rhodamine-phalloidin after pre-treatment with m-maleimidobenzoyl N-hydroxysuccinimide ester. Protoplasma 148: 80–86. ,
- 1989. Fluorescence microscopic localization of actin in pollen tubes: comparison of actin antibody and phalloidin staining. Cell Motility and the Cytoskeleton 12: 216–224. , , .
- 1987. An actin network is present in the cytoplasm throughout the cell cycle of carrot cells and associates with the dividing nucleus. Journal of Cell Biology 105: 387–395. , , , , , .
- 1997. Caffeine inhibition of cytokinesis: effect on the phragmoplast cytoskeleton in living Tradescantia stamen hair cells. Protoplasma 196: 155–166. , .
- 2006. Somatic cytokinesis and pollen maturation in Arabidopsis thaliana depend on TPLATE, which has domains similar to coat proteins. Plant Cell 18: 3502–3518. , , , , ,
- 2008. Demarcation of the cortical division zone in dividing plant cells. Cell Biology International 32: 178–187. ,
- 2007. Cortical division zone establishment in plant cells. Trends in Plant Science 12: 458–464. , ,
- 2001. A comparison of F-actin labeling methods for light microscopy in different plant specimens: multiple techniques supplement each other. Micron 32: 571–578. , ,
- 2006. Cell cycle-dependent targeting of a kinesin at the plasma membrane demarcates the division site in plant cells. Current Biology 16: 308–314. , , , , ,
- 2000. Comparison of cryofixation and aldehyde fixation for plant actin immunocytochemistry: aldehydes do not destroy F-actin. Histochemichal Journal 32: 457–466. , , , , , .
- 2005. GFP-FABD2 fusion construct allows in vivo visualization of the dynamic actin cytoskeleton in all cells of Arabidopsis thaliana seedlings. European Journal of Cell Biology 84: 595–608. , , , , ,
- 2007. Arabidopsis thaliana TANGLED identifies the division plane throughout mitosis and cytokinesis. Current Biology 17: 1–10. , , , , .
- 2008. Improved imaging of actin filaments in transgenic Arabidopsis thaliana plants expressing a green fluorescent protein fusion to the C- and N-termini of the fimbrin actin-binding domain 2. New Phytologist 177: 525–536. , , .
- 2005. Decision of spindle poles and division plane by double preprophase bands in a BY-2 cell line expressing GFP-tubulin. Plant and Cell Physiology 46: 531–538. , , , ,
- 2001. Endoplasmic reticulum preprophase band in dividing root-tip cells of Pinus brutia. Planta 213: 824–827. , , ,
- 2003. Organization of the endoplasmic reticulum in dividing cells of the gymnosperms Pinus brutia and Pinus nigra, and of the pterophyte Asplenium nidus. Cell Biology International 27: 31–40. , , ,
- 1993. Dynamics of microfilaments are similar, but distinct from microtubules during cytokinesis in living, dividing plant cells. Cell Motility and the Cytoskeleton 24: 151–155. , , .