Optimized virus-induced gene silencing in Solanum nigrum reveals the defensive function of leucine aminopeptidase against herbivores and the shortcomings of empty vector controls
Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2008
© The Authors (2008). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 179, Issue 2, pages 356–365, July 2008
How to Cite
Hartl, M., Merker, H., Schmidt, D. D. and Baldwin, I. T. (2008), Optimized virus-induced gene silencing in Solanum nigrum reveals the defensive function of leucine aminopeptidase against herbivores and the shortcomings of empty vector controls. New Phytologist, 179: 356–365. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02479.x
- Issue online: 28 JUN 2008
- Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2008
- Received: 14 February 2008; Accepted: 17 March 2008
- 2004. Virus-induced gene silencing in Solanum species. Plant Journal 39: 264–272. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Applications and advantages of virus-induced gene silencing for gene function studies in plants. Plant Journal 39: 734–746. , , , .
- 2006. Efficient virus-induced gene silencing in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 142: 21–27. , , , .
- 1999. Leucine aminopeptidase RNAs, proteins, and activities increase in response to water deficit, salinity, and the wound signals systemin, methyl jasmonate, and abscisic acid. Plant Physiology 120: 979–992. , , , , .
- 2000. Leucine aminopeptidases: the ubiquity of LAP-N and the specificity of LAP-A. Planta 210: 563–573. , , , .
- 2005. Jasmonate-inducible plant enzymes degrade essential amino acids in the herbivore midgut. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 19237–19242. , , , , .
- 1997. Black nightshades. Solanum nigrum L. and related species. Rome, Italy: International Plant Genetic Resources Institute. , .
- 2003. Two MAPK cascades, NPR1, and TGA transcription factors play a role in Pto-mediated disease resistance in tomato. Plant Journal 36: 905–917. , , , , .
- 2007. Virus-induced gene silencing as a tool for functional analyses in the emerging model plant Aquilegia (columbine, Ranunculaceae). Plant Methods 3: 6. ,
- 1996. A complex array of proteins related to the multimeric leucine aminopeptidase of tomato. Plant Physiology 110: 1257–1266. , , , .
- 2005. Virus-induced gene silencing is an effective tool for assaying gene function in the basal eudicot species Papaver somniferum (opium poppy). Plant Journal 44: 334–341. , , , , .
- 2002. Barley stripe mosaic virus-induced gene silencing in a monocot plant. Plant Journal 30: 315–327. , , , .
- 2007. The ecogenetics and ecogenomics of plant-herbivore interactions: rapid progress on a slippery road. Current Opinion in Genetics & Development 17: 519–524. , .
- 2002a. Virus-induced gene silencing in tomato. Plant Journal 31: 777–786. , , .
- 2002b. Tobacco Rar1, EDS1 and NPR1/NIM1 like genes are required for N-mediated resistance to tobacco mosaic virus. Plant Journal 30: 415–429. , , , .
- 2001. Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the 2−ΔΔCt method. Methods 25: 402–408. , .
- 2003. Virus-induced gene silencing in plants. Methods 30: 296–303. , , , , .
- 2006. Leucine aminopeptidases: diversity in structure and function. Biological Chemistry 387: 1535–1544. , , .
- 2001. The induction of tomato leucine aminopeptidase genes (LapA) after Pseudomonas syringae pv. tomato infection is primarily a wound response triggered by coronatine. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 14: 214–224. , , , .
- 2002. Insect feeding mobilizes a unique plant defense protease that disrupts the peritrophic matrix of caterpillars. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 99: 13319–13323. , , , .
- 2001. Tobacco rattle virus as a vector for analysis of gene function by silencing. Plant Journal 25: 237–245. , , .
- 2004. VIGS vectors for gene silencing: many targets, many tools. Annual Review of Plant Biology 55: 495–519.
- 2000. Primer 3 on the WWW for general users and for biologist programmers. In: KrawetzS, MisenerS, eds. Bioinformatics methods and protocols: methods in molecular biology. Totowa, NJ, USA: Humana Press, 365–386. ,
- 2004. Agrodrench: a novel and effective agroinoculation method for virus-induced gene silencing in roots and diverse Solanaceous species. Plant Journal 40: 322–331. , , , .
- 2004. Virus-induced gene silencing of jasmonate-induced direct defences, nicotine and trypsin proteinase-inhibitors in Nicotiana attenuata. Journal of Experimental Botany 55: 151–157. , .
- 1999. Accommodation of foreign genes into the Sendai virus genome: sizes of inserted genes and viral replication. FEBS Letters 456: 221–226. , , , , , , , , ,
- 2007. Geranyl diphosphate synthase is required for biosynthesis of gibberellins. Plant Journal 52: 752–762. , , , , , .
- 2004. Solanum nigrum: a model ecological expression system and its tools. Molecular Ecology 13: 981–995. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Specificity in ecological interactions. Attack from the same lepidopteran herbivore results in species-specific transcriptional responses in two solanaceous host plants. Plant Physiology 138: 1763–1773. , , , , .
- 2006. Systemin in Solanum nigrum. The tomato-homologous polypeptide does not mediate direct defense responses. Plant Physiology 142: 1751–1758. , .
- 2007. A systematic study to determine the extent of gene silencing in Nicotiana benthamiana and other Solanaceae species when heterologous gene sequences are used for virus-induced gene silencing. New Phytologist 176: 782–791. , , , , , .
- 2003. Isolation and characterization of the neutral leucine aminopeptidase (LapN) of tomato. Plant Physiology 132: 243–255. , , .
- 2006. Recycling or regulation? The role of amino-terminal modifying enzymes. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 9: 227–233. .
- 2006. Optimisation of tobacco rattle virus-induced gene silencing in Arabidopsis. Functional Plant Biology 33: 347–355. , , ,
- 2007. Herbivory rapidly activates MAPK signaling in attacked and unattacked leaf regions but not between leaves of Nicotiana attenuata. Plant Cell 19: 1096–1122. , , , .