Environmental controls and the influence of vegetation type, fine roots and rhizomorphs on diel and seasonal variation in soil respiration
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
No claim to original US government works. Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 179, Issue 2, pages 460–471, July 2008
How to Cite
Vargas, R. and Allen, M. F. (2008), Environmental controls and the influence of vegetation type, fine roots and rhizomorphs on diel and seasonal variation in soil respiration. New Phytologist, 179: 460–471. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02481.x
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Received: 6 March 2008; Accepted: 26 March 2008
- 2007. Mycorrhizal fungi: highways for water and nutrients in arid soils. Vadose Zone Journal 6: 291–297. .
- 2003. Ecology of mycorrhizae: a conceptual framework for complex interactions among plants and fungi. Annual Review of Phytopathology 41: 271–303. , , , , .
- 2007. Soil sensor technology: life within a pixel. Bioscience 57: 859–867. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Fluxes of carbon and water in a Pinus radiata forest subject to soil water deficit. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 25: 557–570. , , , .
- 1997. Measuring and modelling carbon dioxide and water vapour exchange over a temperate broad-leaved forest during the 1995 summer drought. Plant, Cell & Environment 20: 1108–1122.
- 2002. C-13 content of ecosystem respiration is linked to precipitation and vapor pressure deficit. Oecologia 131: 113–124. , , , , .
- 2002. Model selection and inference. A practical information-theoretic approach. New York, NY, USA: Springer. , .
- 2007. Contribution of new photosynthetic assimilates to respiration by perennial grasses and shrubs: residence times and allocation patterns. New Phytologist 76: 124–135. , .
- 2008. Automated soil respiration measurements: new information, opportunities and challenges. New Phytologist 177: 295–297. ,
- Soil respiration in perennial grass and shrub ecosystems: linking environmental controls with plant and microbial sources on seasonal and diel timescales. Journal of Geophysical Research, doi:10.1029/2007JG000611. , , . (in press).
- 1994. Carbon pools and flux of global forest ecosystems. Science 263: 185–190. , , , , ,
- 2002. Measuring forest floor CO2 fluxes in a Douglas-fir forest. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 110: 299–317. , , , , , , , ,
- 2007. Temporal changes in soil pore space CO2 concentration and storage under permanent grassland. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 142: 66–84. , , , , ,
- 2006. Interpreting the dependence of soil respiration on soil temperature and water content in a boreal aspen stand. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 140: 220–235. , , , , ,
- 1997. Automated measurements of CO2 exchange at the moss surface of a black spruce forest. Tree Physiology 17: 537–542. , .
- 2007. New approaches in embedded networked sensing for terrestrial ecological observatories. Environmental Engineering Science 24: 192–204. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Separating root and soil microbial contributions to soil respiration: a review of methods and observations. Biogeochemistry 48: 115–146. , , , .
- 2007. Forest soil CO2 flux: uncovering the contribution and environmental responses of ectomycorrhizas. Global Change Biology 13: 1786–1797. , , , ,
- 2006. Respiration of the external mycelium in the arbuscular mycorrhizal symbiosis shows strong dependence on recent photosynthates and acclimation to temperature. New Phytologist 171: 159–170. , , , .
- 2001. Large-scale forest girdling shows that current photosynthesis drives soil respiration. Nature 411: 789–792. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Evaporation and carbon dioxide exchange between the atmosphere and a tussock grassland during a summer drought. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 111: 65–82. , , , .
- 2002. Contrasting soil respiration in young and old-growth ponderosa pine forests. Global Change Biology 8: 1183–1194. , .
- 2005. Coupling of canopy gas exchange with root and rhizosphere respiration in a semi-arid forest. Biogeochemistry 73: 271–282. , , .
- 2005. Relationship between soil CO2 concentrations and forest-floor CO2 effluxes. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 130: 176–192. , , , , ,
- 2005. Mycorrhizal status influences the rate but not the temperature sensitivity of soil respiration. Plant and Soil 277: 335–344. , , .
- 2001. Spatial and temporal variation in respiration in a young ponderosa pine forests during a summer drought. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 110: 27–43. , , , , , ,
- 2006. Temperature-independent diel variation in soil respiration observed from a temperate deciduous forest. Global Change Biology 12: 2136–2145. , , , , ,
- 2004. Response of the carbon isotopic content of ecosystem, leaf, and soil respiration to meteorological and physiological driving factors in a Pinus ponderosa ecosystem. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 18: Art. No. GB1013, doi: 10.1029/2003GB002049. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Influences of canopy photosynthesis and summer rain pulses on root dynamics and soil respiration in a young ponderosa pine forest. Tree Physiology 26: 833–844. , , , , ,
- 1999. Modeling diffusion and reaction in soils. IX. The Bucking-Ham-Burdine-Campbell equation for gas diffusivity in undisturbed soil. Soil Science 164: 542–551. , , , , .
- 2000. CO2 exchange at the floor of a boreal forest. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 101: 1–14. ,
- 2002. Fine root architecture of nine North American trees. Ecological Monographs 72: 293–309. , , , , , .
- 2002. Interannual variability in global soil respiration, 1980–94. Global Change Biology 8: 800–812. , ,
- 2005. Interpreting, measuring, and modeling soil respiration. Biogeochemistry 73: 3–27. , .
- 1995. Terrestrial ecosystems and the carbon cycle. Global Change Biology 1: 77–91. .
- 1993. Modeling of carbon-dioxide transport and production in soil. 1. Model development. Water Resources Research 29: 487–497. , .
- 1997. Mycorrhizal symbiosis. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press. , .
- 2007. Are ecosystem carbon inputs and outputs coupled at short time scales? A case study from adjacent pine and hardwood forests using impulse-response analysis. Plant, Cell & Environment 30: 700–710. , , , , , , , ,
- 2005a. Tree photosynthesis modulates soil respiration on a diurnal time scale. Global Change Biology 11: 1298–1304. , ,
- 2005b. Continuous measurements of soil respiration with and without roots in a ponderosa pine plantation in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 132: 212–227. , , , , .
- 2005. Lifespans of fungal rhizomorphs under nitrogen fertilization in a pinyon-juniper woodland. Plant and Soil 270: 249–255. , , , , .
- Diel patterns of soil respiration in a tropical forest after hurricane Wilma. Journal of Geophysical Research, doi: 10.1029/2007JG000620. , . (in press a).
- Dynamics of fine root, fungal rhizomorphs and soil respiration in a mixed temperate forest: integrating sensors and observations. Vadose Zone Journal, doi:10.2136/vzj2007.0138. , in press b).
- 2004. How soil moisture, rain pulses, and growth alter the response of ecosystem respiration to temperature. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 18: Art. No. GB4002, doi: 10.1029/2004GB002281. , , .