Global response patterns of terrestrial plant species to nitrogen addition
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
© The Authors (2008). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 179, Issue 2, pages 428–439, July 2008
How to Cite
Xia, J. and Wan, S. (2008), Global response patterns of terrestrial plant species to nitrogen addition. New Phytologist, 179: 428–439. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02488.x
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Received: 1 February 2008; Accepted: 30 March 2008
- 1980. The mineral nutrition of wild plants. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics 11: 233–260. .
- 2002. Principles of terrestrial ecosystem ecology. New York, NY, USA: Springer-Verlag New York, Inc. , , .
- 2002. Functional traits, productivity and effects on nitrogen cycling of 33 grassland species. Functional Ecology 16: 563–574. , , , , ,
- 2001. Global response of terrestrial ecosystem structure and function to CO2 and climate change: results from six dynamic global vegetation models. Global Change Biology 7: 357–373. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1996. A meta-analysis of leaf gas exchange and N in trees grown under elevated carbon dioxide. Plant, Cell & Environment 19: 127–137. .
- 1998. A meta-analysis of elevated CO2 effects on woody plant mass, form, and physiology. Oecologia 113: 299–313. , .
- 2007. Global analysis of nitrogen and phosphorus limitation of primary producers in freshwater, marine and terrestrial ecosystems. Ecology Letters 10: 1135–1142. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Nitrogen fertilizer: retrospect and prospect. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 96: 1175–1180. , , .
- 2000. Fertilization effects on species density and primary productivity in herbaceous plant communities. Oikos 89: 428–439. , , , .
- 2008. An earth-system perspective of the global nitrogen cycle. Nature 451: 293–296. , .
- 1993. Meta-analysis: combining the results of independent experiments. In: ScheinerSM, GurevitchJ, eds. Design and analysis of ecological experiments. New York, NY, USA: Chapman and Hall, 378–389. , .
- 1992. A meta-analysis of competition in field experiments. The American Naturalist 140: 539–572. , , , .
- 2004. N:P ratios in terrestrial plants: variation and functional significance. New Phytologist 164: 243–266.
- 2006. Stoichiometry and large-scale patterns of leaf carbon and nitrogen in the grassland biomes of China. Oecologia 149: 115–122. , , , ,
- 1985. Statistical methods for metaanalysis. Orlando, FL, USA: Academic Press. ,
- 2008. Terrestrial ecosystem carbon dynamics and climate feedbacks. Nature 451: 289–292. ,
- 1999. Nitrogen limitation in dryland ecosystems: responses to geographical and temporal variation in precipitation. Biogeochemistry 46: 247–293. ,
- 2003. Nitrogen and climate change. Science 302: 1512–1513. , , , , .
- 2004. CO2 elicits long-term decline in nitrogen fixation. Science 304: 1291. , , , , , , , .
- IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change). 2001. Climate change 2001: the scientific basis. New York, NY, USA: Cambridge University Press.
- 1998. Regulation of woody plant secondary metabolism by resource availability: hypothesis testing by means of meta-analysis. Oikos 83: 212–226. , , ,
- 2003. The response of tropical tree seedlings to nutrient supply: meta-analysis for understanding a changing tropical landscape. Journal of Tropical Ecology 19: 239–250.
- 2008. Nitrogen limitation of net primary productivity in terrestrial ecosystems is globally distributed. Ecology 89: 371–379. , .
- 2008. Altered ecosystem carbon and nitrogen cycles by plant invasion: a meta-analysis. New Phytologist 177: 706–714. , , , , , , ,
- 1983. The effect of nitrogen fertilization on the production of Halophytes in an inland salt marsh. American Midland Naturalist 109: 346–354. , .
- 2007. Testing the growth rate vs. geochemical hypothesis for latitudinal variation in plant nutrients. Ecology Letters 10: 1154–1163. , , , ,
- 2003. Effects of nitrogen availability on competition between Bromus tectorum and Bouteloua gracilis. Plant Ecology 167: 247–254. , , .
- 2004. Progressive nitrogen limitation of ecosystem responses to rising atmospheric carbon dioxide. BioScience 54: 731–739. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2005. Is the changes of plant-plant interactions with abiotic stress predictable? A meta-analysis of field results in arid environments. Journal of Ecology 93: 748–757. , , .
- 2004. Scaling of C: N: P stoichiometry in forests worldwide: implications of terrestrial Redfield-type ratios. Ecology 85: 2390–2401. , , .
- Millennium Ecosystem Assessment. 2005. Ecosystems and human well-being. Washington, DC, USA: Global Assessment Reports Island Press.
- 2003. Variation in growth rate and ecophysiology among 34 grassland and savanna species under contrasting N supply: a test of functional group differences. New Phytologist 157: 617–631. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Nitrogen limitation constrains sustainability of ecosystem response to CO2. Nature 440: 922–925. , , , , , , ,
- 2004. Global patterns of plant leaf N and P in relation to temperature and latitude. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 101: 11 001–11 006. ,
- 2001. Do species and functional groups differ in acquisition and use of C, N and water under varying atmospheric CO2 and N availability regimes? A field test with 16 grassland species. New Phytologist 150: 435–448. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2004. Species and functional group diversity independently influence biomass accumulation and its response to CO2 and N. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 101: 10101–10106. , , , , , , ,
- 1998. The effects of air-borne nitrogen pollutants on species diversity in natural and semi-natural European vegetation. Journal of Ecology 86: 717–738. , , .
- 2003. Quo vadis C4? An ecophysiological perspective on global change and the future of C4 plants. Photosynthesis Research 77: 209–225. , .
- 1980. Response to fertilization by various plant growth forms in an Alaskan tundra: nutrient accumulation and growth. Ecology 61: 662–675. , III.
- 2002. Ecological stoichiometry: the biology of elements from molecules to the biosphere. Princeton, NJ, USA: Princeton University Press. , .
- 2004. Impact of nitrogen deposition on the species richness of grasslands. Science 303: 1876–1879. , , , .
- 2005. Functional- and abundance-based mechanisms explain diversity loss due to N fertilization. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 4387–4392. , , , , , , ,
- 1987. Secondary succession and the pattern of plant dominance along experimental nitrogen gradients. Ecological Monographs 57: 189–214.
- 2006. Biodiversity and ecosystem stability in a decade-long grassland experiment. Nature 441: 629–632. , , .
- 2003. Long-term ecosystem level experiments at Toolik Lake, Alaska, and at Abisko, northern Sweden: generalizations and differences in ecosystem and plant type responses to global change. Global Change Biology 10: 105–123. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1992. Lack's clutch size hypothesis: an examination of the evidence using meta-analysis. Ecology 73: 1699–1705.
- 1997. Human alteration of the global nitrogen cycling: sources and consequences. Ecological Applications 7: 737–750. , , , , , , ,
- 1991. Nitrogen limitation on land and in the sea: how can it occur? Biogeochemistry 13: 87–115. , .
- 2001. Fire effects on nitrogen pools and dynamics in terrestrial ecosystems: a meta-analysis. Ecological Applications 11: 1349–1365. , ,
- 2007. Effects of species richness and elevated carbon dioxide on biomass accumulation: a synthesis using meta-analysis. Oecologia 152: 595–605. .
- 1996. Influence of nitrogen loading and species composition on the carbon balance of grasslands. Science 274: 1720–1723. ,
- 1986. Meta-analysis: quantitative methods for research synthesis. Beverly Hills, CA, USA: SAGE Publications. .
- 1994. Predator impacts on stream benthic prey. Oecologia 99: 7–15.
- 2004. The worldwide leaf economics spectrum. Nature 428: 821–827. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2003. Additive effects of simulated climate changes, elevated CO2, and nitrogen deposition on grassland diversity. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 100: 7650–7654. , , , , .