Root foraging in response to heterogeneous soil moisture in two grapevines that differ in potential growth rate
Article first published online: 23 MAY 2008
© The Authors (2008). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 179, Issue 3, pages 857–866, August 2008
How to Cite
Bauerle, T. L., Smart, D. R., Bauerle, W. L., Stockert, C. and Eissenstat, D. M. (2008), Root foraging in response to heterogeneous soil moisture in two grapevines that differ in potential growth rate. New Phytologist, 179: 857–866. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02489.x
- Issue published online: 15 JUL 2008
- Article first published online: 23 MAY 2008
- Received: 6 March 2008Accepted: 31 March 2008
- 1995. Survival analysis using the SAS system: a practical guide. Cary, NC, USA: SAS Institute. .
- 2007. Root dynamics in response to abiotic and biotic stressors in Vitis. PhD thesis. University Park, PA, USA: The Pennsylvania State University. .
- 2007. Consequences of insect herbivory on root survivorship and root age structure in grape. Plant, Cell & Environment 30: 86–95. , , , , .
- 2008. Importance of internal hydraulic redistribution for prolonging lifespan of roots in dry soil. Plant, Cell & Environment 31: 177–186. , , , .
- 1976. Root extension and water absorption. In: LangeOL, KappenL, SchulzeE-D, eds. Water and plant life. Ecological studies. Analysis and synthesis. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag, 63–85. .
- 2006. Effects of land use on soil respiration: conversion of oak woodlands to vineyards. Journal of Environmental Quality 35: 1396–1404. , , .
- CIMIS. 20032005. California irrigation management and information system. http://www.cimis.water.ca.gov/
- 2005. Canopy and environmental control of root dynamics in a long-term study of Concord grape. New Phytologist 167: 829–840. , , , , .
- 2000. Assessing root death and root system dynamics in a study of grape canopy pruning. New Phytologist 147: 171–178. , , .
- 1982. Growth of Sitka spruce seedlings with roots divided between soils of unequal matric potential. New Phytologist 92: 49–61. .
- 1972. Regression models and life tables. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society 34: 187–220.
- 1987. Morphological plasticity and mineral nutrient capture in two herbaceous species of contrasted ecology. New Phytologist 107: 403–414. , .
- 2003. Soil exploration and resource acquisition by plant roots: an architectural and modeling point of view. Agronomie 23: 419–431. , ,
- 1988a. Seasonal timing of root growth into favorable microsites. Ecology 69: 870–873. , .
- 1988b. Competitive ability is linked to rates of water extraction. A field study of two aridland tussock grasses. Oecologia 75: 1–7. , .
- 1999. Recovery of citrus surface roots following prolonged exposure to dry soil. Journal of Experimental Botany 50: 1845–1854. , , , .
- 1997. The ecology of root lifespan. Advances in Ecological Research 27: 1–60. , .
- 1994. Architecture and biomass allocation as components of the plastic response of root systems to soil heterogeneity. In: CaldwellMM, PearcyRW, eds. Exploitation of environmental heterogeneity by plants: ecophysiological processes above- and belowground. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 305–323. .
- 1998. Stomatal conductance, growth and root signaling in Betula pendula seedlings subjected to partial soil drying. Tree Physiology 18: 769–776. , , , ,
- 1999. The root zone dynamics of water uptake by mature apple trees. Plant and Soil 206: 61–77. ,
- 1977. Evidence for the existence of three primary strategies implants and its relevance to ecological and evolutionary theory. The American Naturalist 111: 1169–1194. .
- 1967. Some competitive relationships between Agropyron spicatum and Bromus tectorum. Ecological Monographs 37: 89–111. .
- 1970. Competition for moisture among seedlings of annual and perennial grasses as influenced by root elongation at low temperature. Ecology 51: 529–534. , .
- 1987. Root dynamics of tallgrass prairie in wet and dry years. Canadian Journal of Botany 65: 787–791. ,
- 2004. The plastic plant: root responses to heterogeneous supplies of nutrients. New Phytologist 162: 9–24.
- 1987. Morphological and anatomical effects of severe drought on the roots of Lolium perenne L. New Phytologist 105: 393–402. , .
- 1994. The fate of surface roots of citrus seedlings in dry soil. Journal of Experimental Botany 45: 1639–1645. , .
- 1992. Inherent variation in growth rate between higher plants: a search for physiological causes and ecological consequences. Advances in Ecolgical Research 23: 187–261. ,
- 1967. Growth rates and growth periodicity of tree roots. International Review of Forest Research 2: 181–206. ,
- 1994. Growth and development of roots of grapevine (Vitis vinifera L.) in relation to water uptake from the soil. Annals of Botany 74: 75–85. , ,
- 1992. Hydraulic and structural changes for lateral roots of two desert succulents in response to soil drying and rewetting. International Journal of Plant Science 153: S163–S170. ,
- 1991. Changes in hydraulic conductivity and anatomy caused by drying and rewetting roots of Agave deserti (Agavaceae). American Journal of Botany 78: 906–915. , .
- 1997. Root-soil contact for the desert succulent Agave deserti in wet and drying soil. New Phytologist 135: 21–29. , .
- 2005. Fine root distribution and persistence under field conditions of three co-occurring Great Basin species of different life form. New Phytologist 165: 171–180. , , , , .
- 1992. A volume balance approach to quality wine grape irrigation. In: WalkerMA, KliewerWM, eds. Viticultural practices, Berkeley, CA, USA: University of California, Davis, 12–23. .
- 1997. Enhanced root production as a feed-forward response to soil water deficit in field-grown tomatoes. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 24: 685–692. , .
- 1975. The effect of soil water on root production of peach trees in summer. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 26: 173–180. ,
- 2001. Rapid equilibration of leaf and stem water potential under field conditions. HortScience 36: 430. , , , , , , ,
- 1979. Solute regulation and growth by roots and shoots of water-stressed maize plants. Planta 14: 43–49. , .
- 2006. A greenhouse study on root dynamics of cactus pears, Opunita ficus-indica and O. rubusta. Journal of Arid Environments 65: 529–542. .
- 2000. Water uptake by roots: effects of water deficit. Journal of Experimental Botany 51, 1531–1542.
- 2001. Marked differences in survivorship among apple roots of different diameter. Ecology 82: 882–892. , .
- 1993. The influence of shade and clouds on soil water potential: the buffered behavior of hydraulic lift. Plant and Soil 157: 83–95. , , .
- 2002. Field evaluation of winegrape rootstocks. Xxxxxxx, Napa, CA, USA: American Vineyard Foundation California Rootstock Commission Viticulture Consortium, 1–112. , , , , , , ,