These authors contributed equally to this work.
Sex-independent transmission ratio distortion system responsible for reproductive barriers between Asian and African rice species
Version of Record online: 27 MAY 2008
© The Authors (2008). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 179, Issue 3, pages 888–900, August 2008
How to Cite
Koide, Y., Onishi, K., Nishimoto, D., Baruah, A. R., Kanazawa, A. and Sano, Y. (2008), Sex-independent transmission ratio distortion system responsible for reproductive barriers between Asian and African rice species. New Phytologist, 179: 888–900. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02490.x
- Issue online: 15 JUL 2008
- Version of Record online: 27 MAY 2008
- Received: 6 February 2008Accepted: 28 March 2008
- 1956. Formulas and tables to facilitate the calculation of recombination values in heredity. Hilgardia 24: 235–278. .
- 2003. Marcus Rhoades, preferential segregation and meiotic drive. Genetics 164: 835–841. , , .
- 2001. Development and mapping of Oryza glumaepatula-derived microsatellite markers in the interspecific cross O. glumaepatula O. sativa. Hereditas 134:59–71 , , , .
- 1957. Inheritance in Nicotiana tabacum XXVII. Pollen killer, an alien genetic locus inducing abortion of microspores not carrying it. Genetics 42: 326–335. , .
- 1994. Saturated molecular map of the rice genome based on an interspecific backcross population. Genetics 138:1251–1274. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1987. The distribution of postmating reproductive isolating genes in populations of the yellow monkey flower, Mimulus guttatus. Evolution 41: 571–578. , .
- 1969. Reproductive barriers distributed in cultivated rice species and their wild relatives. Japanese Journal of Genetics 44: 207–223. , , .
- 2004. Speciation. Sunderland, MA, USA: Sinauer Associates. , .
- 1988. The ultraselfish gene. Genetics 118: 389–391. .
- 1991. Why is Mendelian segregation so exact? Bioessays 13: 489–490. .
- 2000. NonMendelian segregation of sex chromosome in Heterospecific Drosophila males. Genetics 154: 687–694. , , , .
- 1998. RFLP mapping and QTL analysis of heading date and pollen sterility using backcross populations between Oryza sativa L. and Oryza glaberrima Steud. Breeding Science 48: 395–399. , ,
- 2002. Development and function of the angiosperm female gametophyte. Annual Review of Genetics 36: 99–124. ,
- 1975. Sterility of common wheat with Aegilops triuncialis cytoplasm. Journal of Heredity 66: 13–18. ,
- 1984. ‘Cuckoo’Aegilops addition chromosome in wheat ensures its transmission by causing chromosome breaks in meiospores lacking it. Chromosoma 90: 84–88. , , .
- 2005. A novel meiotic drive locus almost completely distorts segregation in Mimulus (monkeyflower) hybrids. Genetics 169: 347–353. , .
- 1991. Divergence of meiotic drive-suppression system as an explanation for sex-biased hybrid sterility and inviability. Evolution 45: 262–267.
- 2005. Genetic structure and diversity in Oryza sativa L. Genetics 169:1631–1638. , , , ,
- 1975. Crops and man. Madison, WI, USA: American Society of Agronomy. ,
- 2001. A genome-wide survey of reproductive barriers in an intraspecific hybrid. Genetics 159: 883–892. , , , ,
- 1996. Isolation and characterization of two cDNA clones for mRNAs that are abundantly expressed in immature anthers of rice (Oryza sativa L.). Plant Molecular Biology 30: 1181–1193. , ,
- 1994. Retrotransposition of a plant SINE into the wx locus during evolution of rice. Journal of Molecular Evolution 38: 132–137. , , , , ,
- 2003. Convergent evolution of perenniality in rice and sorghum. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 100: 4050–4054. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1991. Causes of sex ratio bias may account for unisexual sterility in hybrids: a new explanation of Haldane's rule and related phenomena. Genetics 128: 841–858. ,
- 2001. The role of selfish genetic elements in eukaryotic evolution. Nature Review Genetics 2: 597–606. , .
- 1986. Genetics of F1 sterility in remote crosses of rice. In: International Rice Research Institute, ed. Rice genetics. Los Banos, Philippines: International Rice Research Institute, 119–130. ,
- 2004. The sex-ratio trait and its evolution in Drosophila simulans:a comparative approach. Genetica 120: 87–99. , ,
- 1944. The estimation of map distance from recombination values. Annuals of Eugenics 12: 172–175. .
- 1997. Genetics of hybrid sterility and hybrid breakdown in an intersubspecific rice (Oryza sativa L.) population. Genetics 145: 1139–1148. , , , , .
- 1992. Segregation distortion via male gemetes in hybrids between Indica and Japonica or wide-compatibility varieties of rice (Oryza sativa L.). Theoretical and Applied Genetics 84: 812–818. , , ,
- 2001. Mapping QTLs for defective female gametophyte development in an inter-subspecific cross in Oryza sativa L. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 102: 1243–1251. , , ,
- 1963. Distorted inheritance of stem-rust resistance of timstein wheat caused by a pollen-killing gene. Canadian Journal of Genetics and Cytology 5: 65–72. , .
- 1999. OsMADS13, a novel rice MADS-Box gene expressed during ovule development. Developmental Genetics 25: 237–244. , , , , , , ,
- 2000. A first interspecific Oryza sativa × Oryza glaberrima microsatellite-based genetic linkage map. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 100: 593–601. , ,
- 1991. Segregation distorters. Annual Review of Genetics 25: 511–557. .
- 1963. High transmission frequency of a Tripsacum chromosome in corn. Genetics 48: 1185–1194.
- 2006. What does Drosophila genetics tell us about speciation? Trends in Ecology and Evolution 21: 386–393.
- Khin-Thidar, 2003. A gene block causing cross-incompatibility hidden in wild and cultivated rice. Genetics 165: 343–352. ,
- 2002. Genetic dissection of a genomic region for a quantitative trait locus, Hd3, into two loci, Hd3a and Hd3b, controlling heading date in rice. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 104: 772–778. , , , ,
- 1992. Evolutionary studies in cultivated rice and its wild relatives. Oxford Surveys in Evolutionary Biology 8: 135–184. , , .
- 1979. The rise of the angiosperms: a genecological factor. Science 206: 20–23. .
- 1980. Rapid isolation of high molecular weight plant DNA. Nucleic Acids Research 8: 4321–4325. , .
- 1983. Models of evolution of reproductive isolation. Genetics 103: 557–579. , , .
- 1974. Analysis of genes controlling F1 sterility in rice by the use of isogenic lines. Genetics 77: 521–534. .
- 1988. Origin of cultivated rice. Amsterdam, the Netherlands: Elsevier. .
- 2006. Speciation in Drosophila: from phenotype to molecules. Journal of Heredity 98: 103–110. , ,
- 2001. Nonrandom segregation during meiosis: the unfairness of females. Mammalian Genome 12: 331–339. ,
- 2005. Delimitation of the rice wide compatibility gene S5nto a 40-kb DNA fragment. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 111: 1080–1086. , , , , , ,
- 2005. A new gamete eliminator from Oryza glaberrima. Rice Genetics Newsletter 22: 45–47. , , , , , , , ,
- 1966. Abortion of male and female gametes in the tomato determined by allelic interaction. Genetics 53: 85–96. .
- 1971. The tomato Ge locus: linkage relations and geographic distribution of alleles. Genetics 67: 75–85. .
- 2007. Plant speciation. Science 317: 910–914. , .
- Khin-Thidar, 2004. Allelic diversification at the C (OsC1) locus of wild and cultivated rice: nucleotide changes associated with phenotype. Genetics 168: 997–1007. , , ,
- 1957. Meiotic drive as an evolutionary force. American Naturalist 41: 105–110. ,
- 1983. A new gene controlling sterility in F1 hybrids of two cultivated rice species. Journal of Heredity 74: 435–439.
- 1984. Differential regulation of waxy gene expression in rice endosperm. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 64: 467–473.
- 1990. The genic nature of gamete eliminator in rice. Genetics 125: 183–191.
- 1992. Genetic comparisons of chromosome 6 between wild and cultivated rice. Japanese Journal of Breeding 42: 561–572.
- 1979. Genetic studies of speciation in cultivated rice, 1. Genic analysis for the F1 sterility between O. sativa L. and O. glaberrima Steud. Japanese Journal of Genetics 54: 121–132. , , .
- 1994. Gamete eliminator adjacent to the wx locus as revealed by pollen analysis in rice. Journal of Heredity 85: 310–312. , , , .
- 1983. Preferential abortion of gametes in wheat induced by an Agropyron chromosome. Canadian Journal of Genetics and Cytology 25: 1–6. , .
- 1984. Cytoplasmic male sterility and fertility restoration in rice having genome A. In: TsunodaS, TakahashiN, eds. Biology of rice. Amsterdam, the Netherlands: Elsevier, 321–338.
- 1993. The peculiar journey of a selfish chromosome: mouse t haplotypes and meiotic drive. Trends in Genetics 9: 250–254. .
- 1977. Patterns of speciation. In: DobzhanskyTH, AyalaFJ, StebbinsGL, ValentineJW, eds. Evolution. San Francisco, CA, USA: WH Freeman and Company, 195–232. .
- 2006. A simple genetic incompatibility causes hybrid male sterility in Mimulus. Genetics 172: 1–15. , , .
- 2007. Natural variation for a hybrid incompatibility between two species of Mimulus. Evolution 61: 141–151. , , .
- 1993. Light microscopy I: dissection and microtechnique. In: FreelingM, WalbotV, eds. The maize handbook. New York, NY, USA: Springer-Verlarg, 83–95. , .
- 2001. Sex-ratio segregation distortion associated with reproductive isolation in Drosophila. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 98: 13183–13188. , , .
- 1991. Segregation distortion in Drosophila melanogaster: genetic and molecular analyses. American Naturalist 137: 287–331. , , , , , , ,
- 1985. Gametocidal genes in wheat and its relatives. II. Suppressor of chromosome 3C gametocidal gene of Aegilops triuncialis. Canadian Journal of Genetics and Cytology 27: 178–185. ,
- 2005. On the evolutionary stability of Mendelian segregation. Genetics 170: 1345–1357. ,
- 1986. Current knowledge of and outlook on cytoplasmic-genetic male sterility and fertility restoration in rice. In: International Rice Research Institute, ed. Rice genetics. Los Banos, CA, USA: International Rice Research Institute, 119–130. , , , , .
- 1995. Deficiency analysis of female gametogenesis in maize. Developmental Genetics16: 44–63. ,
- 2003. Unique features of the plant life cycle and their consequences. Nature Review Genetics 4: 369–379. , .
- 2006. Fine mapping of f5-Du, a gene conferring wide-compatibility for pollen fertility in inter-subspecific hybrids of rice (Oryza sativa L.). Theoretical and Applied Genetics 112: 382–387. , , ,
- 1994. Genetics of postmating reproductive isolation in animals. Annual Review of Genetics 27: 283–308. , .
- 2004. Genes and speciation. Nature Review Genetics 5: 114–122. , .
- 1997. Chromosomal regions associated with segregation distortion of molecular markers in F2, backcross, doubled haploid, and recombinant inbred populations in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Molecular and General Genetics 253: 535–545. , , , , .
- 1990. A gametocidal factor of Oryza glaberrimma Steud. in O. sativa L. Euphytica 45: 191–195.
- 2000. Genetics of gametophyte biogenesis in Arabidopsis. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 3: 53–57. ,
- 1986. Unequal segregation of nuclear genes in plants. Botanical Gazette 147: 355–358. ,