From 1 April 2008 IGER was incorporated into the Institute of Biological, Environmental and Rural Sciences (IBERS) Aberystwyth University, Gogerddan, Aberystwyth, Ceredigion SY23 3EB, UK
Does fructan have a functional role in physiological traits? Investigation by quantitative trait locus mapping
Version of Record online: 27 MAY 2008
© Institute of Grassland and Environmental Research (2008). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 179, Issue 3, pages 765–775, August 2008
How to Cite
Turner, L. B., Cairns, A. J., Armstead, I. P., Thomas, H., Humphreys, M. W. and Humphreys, M. O. (2008), Does fructan have a functional role in physiological traits? Investigation by quantitative trait locus mapping. New Phytologist, 179: 765–775. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02495.x
- Issue online: 15 JUL 2008
- Version of Record online: 27 MAY 2008
- Received: 25 February 2008Accepted: 2 April 2008
- A QTL analysis and comparative genetic mapping of frost tolerance, winter survival and drought tolerance in meadow fescue (Festuca pratensis Huds.). Genetics. , , , , , , . (in press).
- 2004. Synteny between a major heading-date QTL in perennial ryegrass (Lolium perenne L.) and the Hd-3 heading date locus in rice. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 108: 822–828. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Comparison and integration of genetic maps generated from F2 and BC1-type mapping populations in perennial ryegrass. Plant Breeding 121: 501–507. , , , , .
- 2004. Genomics tools for QTL analysis and gene discovery. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 7: 132–136. ,
- 1997. The forage seed trade. In: FaireyDT, HamptonJG, eds. Forage seed production. 1. Temperate species. Wallingford, UK: CAB International, 271–286. , , , , , ,
- 2004. Absence of turnover and futile cycling of sucrose in leaves of Lolium temulentum L. Implications for metabolic compartmentation. Planta 219: 836–846. , .
- 2006. Natural variation for carbohydrate content in Arabidopsis. Interaction with complex traits dissected by quantitative genetics. Plant Physiology 141: 1630–1643. , , , , ,
- 2005. Molecular genetics of fructan metabolism in perennial ryegrass. Plant Biotechnology Journal 3: 459–474. , , , , ,
- 2007. Genotypic variation in patterns of root distribution, nitrate interception and response to moisture stress of a perennial ryegrass (Lolium perenne L.) mapping population. Grass and Forage Science 62: 265–273. , , , , .
- 1998. Fructans interact strongly with model membranes. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1375: 36–42. , , , ,
- 2004. Identification of drought-inducible genes and differentially expressed sequence tags in barley. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 109: 1417–1425. , , , , , .
- 1997. The importance of water-soluble carbohydrate reserves on regrowth and root growth of Lolium perenne (L.). Grass and Forage Science 52: 401–407. , .
- 1992. Hardening and dehardening of Lolium perenne in response to fluctuating temperatures. Annals of Botany 70: 333–338. ,
- 2005. Cloning, characterization and functional analysis of novel 6-kestose exohydrolases (6-KEHs) from wheat (Triticum aestivum). New Phytologist 166: 917–932. , , , ,
- 2007. Fructan in temperate forage grasses; agronomy, physiology and molecular biology. In: ShiomiN, BenkebliaN, OnoderaS, eds. Recent advances in fructooligosaccharides research. Kerala, India: Research Signpost, 15–46. , , .
- 2001. Morphogenetic adaptation to defoliation and soil fertility in perennial ryegrass (Lolium perenne). New Zealand Journal of Agricultural Research 44: 1–12. , , .
- 1993. Evolutionary origins and natural functions of fructans – a climatological, biogeographic and mechanistic appraisal. New Phytologist 123: 3–14. .
- 2000. Plant fructans stabilize phosphatidylcholine liposomes during freeze-drying. European Journal of Biochemistry 267: 535–540. , , , .
- 2002. Specific effects of fructo- and gluco-oligosaccharides in the preservation of liposomes during drying. Glycobiology 12: 103–110. , , , .
- 2006. A changing climate for grassland research. New Phytologist 169: 9–26. , , , , ,
- 1983. Ultrastructure of storage cells in Jerusalem artichoke tubers (Helianthus tuberosus L.). Vesicle formation during inulin synthesis. Zeitschrift fur Pflanzenphysiologie 111: 253–260.
- 2004. Cold acclimation and abscisic acid induced alterations in carbohydrate content in calli of wheat genotypes differing in frost tolerance. Journal of Plant Physiology 161: 131–133. , ,
- 2001. Increased concentration of water-soluble carbohydrate in perennial ryegrass (Lolium perenne L.). Milk production from late-lactation dairy cows. Grass and Forage Science 56: 383–394. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Influence of initial levels of carbohydrates, fructans, nitrogen, and soluble proteins on regrowth of Lolium perenne L. cv. Bravo following defoliation. Journal of Experimental Botany 50: 1817–1826. , ,
- 2002. MapQTL 4.0, Software for the calculation of QTL positions on genetic maps. Wageningen, the Netherlands: Plant Research International. , , ,
- 2005. GenStat for Windows, 8th edn. Oxford, UK: VSN International. , , , , .
- 2002. Upland rice grown in soil-filled chambers and exposed to contrasting water-deficit regimes. II. Mapping quantitative trait loci for root morphology and distribution. Field Crops Research 76: 25–43. , , , .
- 1992. Carbohydrate content, fructan and sucrose enzyme activities in roots, stubble and leaves of ryegrass (Lolium perenne L.) as affected by source/sink modification after cutting. Journal of Plant Physiology 140: 282–291. , , ,
- 2001. New QTLs identified for plant water status, water-soluble carbohydrate and osmotic adjustment in a barley population grown in a growth-chamber under two water regimes. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 103: 161–170. , ,
- 1997. Relationships between relative water content and growth parameters under water stress in barley: a QTL study. New Phytologist 137: 99–107. , , , , , ,
- 1998. Several QTLs involved in osmotic-adjustment trait variation in barley (Hordeum vulgare L.). Theoretical and Applied Genetics 96: 688–698. , , , , , , , ,
- 2003. QTL for relative water content in field-grown barley and their stability across Mediterranean environments. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 108: 181–188. , , , , ,
- 1986. Effects of rate of dehydration on leaf water stress and osmotic adjustment in Dactylis glomerata L., Lolium perenne L. and L multiflorum Lam. Annals of Botany 57: 225–235.
- 1999. Partitioning of sugars in Lolium perenne (perennial ryegrass) during drought and on rewatering. New Phytologist 142: 295–305. , .
- 2002. Fructan and total carbohydrate accumulation in leaves of two cultivars of timothy (Phleum pratense Vega and Climax) as affected by temperature. Journal of Plant Physiology 159: 999–1003. , , .
- 2006. Dissecting the regulation of fructan metabolism in perennial ryegrass (Lolium perenne) with quantitative trait locus mapping. New Phytologist 169: 45–58. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Comparison of growth and carbohydrate accumulation in seedlings of two varieties of Lolium perenne. Journal of Plant Physiology 158: 891–897. , , , .
- 1999. Fructan: more than a reserve carbohydrate. Plant Physiology 120: 351–359. ,
- 1998. Survival and recovery of perennial forage grasses under prolonged Mediterranean drought. I. Growth, death, water relations and solute content in herbage and stubble. New Phytologist 140: 439–449. , ,
- 1996. A role for nitrogen reserves in forage regrowth and stress tolerance. Physiologia Plantarum 97: 185–193. , , .
- 1973. Carbohydrate reserves of grasses: a review. Journal of Range Management 26: 13–18. .
- 2005. Genetics and molecular breeding in Lolium/Festuca grass species complex. Grassland Science 51: 89–106. , , ,
- 2004. QTL analysis of morphological, developmental, and winter hardiness-associated traits in perennial ryegrass. Crop Science 44: 925–935. , , , , , , , , , .