Multi-site genetic modification of monolignol biosynthesis in alfalfa (Medicago sativa): effects on lignin composition in specific cell types
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
© The Authors (2008). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 179, Issue 3, pages 738–750, August 2008
How to Cite
Nakashima, J., Chen, F., Jackson, L., Shadle, G. and Dixon, R. A. (2008), Multi-site genetic modification of monolignol biosynthesis in alfalfa (Medicago sativa): effects on lignin composition in specific cell types. New Phytologist, 179: 738–750. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02502.x
- Issue published online: 15 JUL 2008
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Received: 2 March 2008Accepted: 2 April 2008
- 2006. Preparative laser capture microdissection and single-pot cell wall material preparation: a novel method for tissue-specific analysis. Planta 224: 228–232. , , , , ,
- 1995. Altered lignin composition in transgenic tobacco expressing O-methyltransferase sequences in sense and antisense orientation. Plant Journal 8: 465–477. , , , , , , ,
- 1999. Down-regulation of cinnamyl alcohol dehydrogenase in transgenic alfalfa (Medicago sativa L.) and the effect on lignin composition and digestibility. Plant Molecular Biology 39: 437–447. , , , , , ,
- 2007. Flavonoid accumulation in Arabidopsis repressed in lignin synthesis affects auxin transport and plant growth. The Plant Cell 19: 148–162. , , , , ,
- 2003. Lignin biosynthesis. Annual Review of Plant Biology 54: 519–546. , ,
- 2001a. Strong decrease in lignin content without significant alteration of plant development is induced by simultaneous down-regulation of cinnamoyl CoA reductase (CCR) and cinnamyl alcohol dehydrogenase (CAD) in tobacco plants. Plant Journal 28: 257–270. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001b. In situ analysis of lignins in transgenic tobacco reveals a differential impact of individual transformations on the spatial patterns of lignin deposition at the cellular and subcellular levels. Plant Journal 28: 271–282. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Cell-specific and conditional expression of caffeoyl-coenzyme A-3-O-methyltransferase in poplar. Plant Physiology 123: 853–868. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Biotechnology in trees: towards improved paper pulping by lignin engineering. Euphytica 118: 185–195. , , ,
- 2007. Lignin modification improves fermentable sugar yields for biofuel production. Nature Biotechnology 25: 759–761. , .
- 2006. Multi-site genetic modulation of monolignol biosynthesis suggests new routes for the formation of syringyl lignin and wall-bound ferulic acid in alfalfa (Medicago sativa L.). Plant Journal 48: 113–124. , , , , , .
- 2003. An in silico assessment of gene function and organization of the phenylpropanoid pathway metabolic networks in Arabidopsis thaliana and limitations thereof. Phytochemistry 64: 1097–1112. , , , , , .
- 1994. Modification of lignin biosynthesis in transgenic Nicotiana through expression of an antisense O-methyltransferase gene from Populus. Plant Molecular Biology 26: 61–71. , , , , , , .
- 1990. Abnormal plant development and down regulation of phenylpropanoid biosynthesis in transgenic tobacco containing a heterologous phenylalanine ammonia-lyase gene. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 87: 9057–9061. , , , , , , .
- 1989. Side-chain structures of lignin in the differetiating xylems. Mokuzai Gakkaishi 35: 820–825. , ,
- 2002. The Arabidopsis REF8 gene encodes the 3-hydroxylase of phenylpropanoid metabolism. Plant Journal 30: 33–45. , , , , ,
- 2001a. Down-regulation of caffeic acid 3-O-methyltransferase and caffeoyl CoA 3-O-methyltransferase in transgenic alfalfa (Medicago sativa L.): impacts on lignin structure and implications for the biosynthesis of G and S lignin. The Plant Cell 13: 73–88. , , , , .
- 2001b. Improvement of in-rumen digestibility of alfalfa forage by genetic manipulation of lignin O-methyltransferases. Transgenic Research 10: 457–464. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Repression of lignin biosynthesis promotes cellulose accumulation and growth in transgenic trees. Nature Biotechnology 17: 808–12. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Compartmentalized expression of two structurally and functionally distinct 4-coumarate: CoA ligase genes in aspen (Populus tremuloides). Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 95: 5407–5412. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Rewriting the lignin roadmap. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 5: 224–229. ,
- 2000. Lignification in transgenic poplars with extremely reduced caffeic acid O-methyltransferase activity. Plant Physiology 123: 1363–1373. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2006. Cinnamoyl-CoA reductase, a key enzyme in lignin biosynthesis, is an effector of small GTPase Rac in defense signaling in rice. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 103: 230–235. , , , , , , , ,
- 2003. Laser capture microdissection of cells from plant tissues. Plant Physiology 132: 27–35. , , , , .
- 2001. Changes in phenylpropanoid metabolites associated with somatic reversion of homology-dependent silencing of phenylalanine ammonia-lyase in tobacco. Physiologia Plantarum 111: 137–143. , , , , , .
- 1985. Thioacidolysis of lignin: comparison with acidolysis. Journal of Wood Chemistry and Technology 5: 277–292. , ,
- 1995. New insight into the molecular architecture of hardwood lignins by chemical degradative method. Research on Chemical Intermediates 21: 397–412. , ,
- 2007. Downregulation of cinnamoyl-Coenzyme A reductase in poplar: multiple-level phenotyping reveals effects on cell wall polymer metabolism and structure. The Plant Cell 19: 3669–3691 , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2001. The last step of syringyl monolignol biosynthesis in angiosperms is regulated by a novel gene encoding sinapyl alcohol dehydrogenase. The Plant Cell 13: 1567–1586. , , , , , .
- 1989. Developmental and environmental regulation of a phenylalanine ammonia-lyase β-glucuronidase gene fusion in transgenic tobacco plants. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 86: 9284–9288. , , , , .
- 1998. Lignin monomer composition is determined by the expression of a cytochrome P450-dependent monooxygenase in Arabidopsis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 95: 6619–6623. , , , ,
- 1999. Coniferyl aldehyde 5-hydroxylation and methylation direct syringyl lignin biosynthesis in angiosperms. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 96: 8955–8960. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Reaction tissue foramtion and stem tissue modulus properties in wild-type and p-coumarate-3-hydroxylase downregualted lines of alfalfa, Medicago sativa (Fabaceae). American Journal of Botany 94: 912–925. , , , , , .
- 1997. Distribution of coniferyl alcohol and coniferaldehyde groups in the wall of spruce fibers. Holzforschung 51: 531–536. ,
- 2002. Field and pulping performances of transgenic trees with altered lignification. Nature Biotechnology 20: 607–612. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1998. Down-regulation of cinnamoyl-CoA reductase induces significant changes of lignin profiles in transgenic tobacco plants. Plant Journal 13: 71–83. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Genome-wide characterization of the lignification toolbox in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 133: 1051–1071. , , , ,
- 1998. NMR characterization of altered lignins extracted from tobacco plants down-regulated for lignification enzymes cinnamyl-alcohol dehydrogenase and cinnamoyl-CoA reductase. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 95: 12803–12808. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Transgene-mediated and elicitor-induced perturbation of metabolic channeling at the entry point into the phenylpropanoid pathway. The Plant Cell 11: 1537–1551. , .
- 2005. Targeted down-regulation of cytochrome P450 enzymes for forage quality improvement in alfalfa (Medicago sativa L.). Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 16573–16578. , , , , , .
- 1997. Reduced lignin content and altered lignin composition in transgenic tobacco down-regulated in expression of phenylalanine ammonia-lyase or cinnamate 4-hydroxylase. Plant Physiology 115: 41–50. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Down-regulation of hydroxycinnamoyl CoA: shikimate hydroxy cinnamoyl transferase in transgenic alfalfa impacts lignification, development and forage quality. Phytochemistry 68, 1521–1529. , , , , , .
- 2005. Cinnamyl alcohol dehydrogenase-C and -D are the primary genes involved in lignin biosynthesis in the floral stem of Arabidopsis. The Plant Cell 17, 2059–2076. , , , , , ,
- 1998. Proposed structure for protolignin in plant cell walls. In: LewisNG, SarkanenS, eds. Lignin and lignan biosynthesis. American Chemical Society Symposium Series 697. Washington, DC, USA: American Chemical Society, 180–193. , ,
- 1990. Selection of interspecific somatic hybrids of Medicago by using Agrabacterium–transformed tissue. Plant Science 69: 189–198. , , .
- 1998. Suppression of O-methyltransferase gene by homologous sense transgene in quaking aspen causes red-brown wood phenotypes. Plant Physiology 117: 101–112. , , , , , .
- 1998. Dual methylation pathways in lignin biosynthesis. Plant Cell 10: 2033–2045. , , , .
- 2000. Ectopic deposition of lignin in the pith of stems of two Arabidopsis mutants. Plant Physiology 123: 59–70. , , .