Iron plaques improve the oxygen supply to root meristems of the freshwater plant, Lobelia dortmanna
Article first published online: 29 MAY 2008
© The Authors (2008). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 179, Issue 3, pages 848–856, August 2008
How to Cite
Møller, C. L. and Sand-Jensen, K. (2008), Iron plaques improve the oxygen supply to root meristems of the freshwater plant, Lobelia dortmanna. New Phytologist, 179: 848–856. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02506.x
- Issue published online: 15 JUL 2008
- Article first published online: 29 MAY 2008
- Received: 19 March 2008 Accepted: 14 April 2008
- 1967. The use of polarography in the assay of oxygen diffusing from roots in anaerobic media. Physiologia Plantarium 20: 540–553.
- 1971. Radial oxygen losses from intact rice roots as affected by distance from the apex, respiration and waterlogging. Physiologia Plantarium 25: 192–197.
- 1979. Aeration in higher plants. Advances in Botanical Research 7: 225–332.
- 1975. Radial oxygen loss from roots: the theoretical basis for the manipulation of flux data obtained by the cylindrical platinum electrode technique. Physiologia Plantarium 35: 21–26. , .
- 1994. Root-induced iron oxidation and pH changes in the lowland rice rhizosphere. New Phytologist 128: 469–477. , , , .
- 1961. Iron oxidation proximate to plant roots. Soil Science 92: 372–379. .
- 1998. Precipitated iron and manganese plaques restrict root uptake of phosphorus in Lobelia dortmanna. Canadian Journal of Botany 76: 2158–2163. ,
- 2003. Long-distance transport of gases in plants: a perspective on internal aeration and radial oxygen loss from roots. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 17–36. .
- 1983. The kinetics of the oxidation of ferrous iron in synthetic and natural-waters. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 47: 67–79. ,
- 1995. Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater. Washington DC, USA: American Public Health Association. , , .
- 2001. Characterization of Fe plaque and associated metals on the roots of mine-waste impacted aquatic plants. Environmental Science & Technology 35: 3863–3868. , , ,
- 1982. Elemental analysis of deposits on the roots of Spartina alterniflora Loisel. American Journal of Botany 69: 904–912. , .
- 1995. Factors controlling the formation of oxidized root channels – a review. Wetlands 15: 37–46. , , .
- 2007. Returning to their roots: iron-oxidizing bacteria enhance short-term plaque formation in the wetland-plant rhizosphere. Geomicrobiology Journal 24: 65–73. , , , .
- 2004. Sulphide intrusion in eelgrass (Zostera marina L.). Plant, Cell & Environment 27: 595–602. , ,
- 1995. Diel pulses of O2 and CO2 in sandy lake sediments inhabited by Lobelia dortmanna. Ecology 76: 1536–1545. , , .
- 2008. Sediment organic matter influences growth and survival of submerged plants. Master Thesis, University of Copenhagen, Denmark. .
- 1995. Root-induced solubilization of phosphate in the rhizosphere of lowland rice. New Phytologist 129: 325–336. , .
- 2005a. Oxygen stress and reduced growth of Lobelia dortmanna in sandy lake sediments subject to organic enrichment. Freshwater Biology 50: 1034–1048. , ,
- 2005b. Contrasting oxygen dynamics in the freshwater isoetid Lobelia dortmanna and the marine seagrass Zostera marina. Annals of Botany 96: 613–623. , , ,
- 1982. Oxygen release from roots of submerged aquatic macrophytes. Oikos 38: 349–354. , ,
- 1990. Root aerenchyma, oxygen leakage patterns and alcoholic fermentation ability of the roots of some nymphaeid and isoetid macrophytes in relation to the sediment type of their habitat. Aquatic Botany 38: 3–17. , , ,
- E, . 2002. The isoetid environment: biogeochemistry and threats. Aquatic Botany 73: 325–350. ,
- 1995. Chemical changes in selected wetland plant species with increasing Fe supply, with specific reference to root precipitates and Fe tolerance. New Phytologist 131: 503–520. , .
- 2007. Apoplastic barriers to radial oxygen loss and solute penetration: a chemical and functional comparison of the exodermis of two wetland species, Phragmites australis and Glyceria maxima. New Phytologist 173: 264–278. , , , ,
- 1993. Microscopic observations of the iron plaque of a submerged aquatic plant (Vallisneria-americana Michx). Aquatic Botany 46: 155–167. , , .
- 1982. Diffusion coefficients in nearshore marine sediments. Limnology and Oceanography 27: 552–556. , .
- 2000. Changes in growth, porosity, and radial oxygen loss from adventitious roots of selected mono- and dicotyledonous wetland species with contrasting types of aerenchyma. Plant, Cell & Environment 23: 1237–1245. , , , .
- 2006. Microorganisms pumping iron: anaerobic microbial iron oxidation and reduction. Nature Reviews Microbiology 4: 752–764. , , .
- 2003. Enumeration of Fe(II)-oxidizing and Fe(III)-reducing bacteria in the root zone of wetland plants: implications for a rhizosphere iron cycle. Biogeochemistry 64: 77–96. , , , .