Cadmium induces acidosis in maize root cells
Version of Record online: 5 JUN 2008
© The Authors (2008). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 179, Issue 3, pages 700–711, August 2008
How to Cite
Nocito, F. F., Espen, L., Crema, B., Cocucci, M. and Sacchi, G. A. (2008), Cadmium induces acidosis in maize root cells. New Phytologist, 179: 700–711. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02509.x
- Issue online: 15 JUL 2008
- Version of Record online: 5 JUN 2008
- Received: 15 January 2008 Accepted: 8 April 2008
- 2004. Carbonic anhydrase impairment in cadmium-treated Ceratophyllum demersum L. (free floating freshwater macrophyte): toxicity reversal by zinc. Journal of Analytical Atomic Spectrometry 19: 52–57. , .
- 2006. AOX – a functional marker for efficient cell reprogramming under stress? Trends in Plant Science 11: 281–287. , ,
- 2005. Effect of cadmium on H+ATPase activity of plasma membrane vesicles isolated from roots of different S-supplied maize (Zea mays L.) plants. Plant Science 169: 361–368. , ,
- 2003. Metabolomic analysis of the consequences of cadmium exposure in Silene cucubalus cell cultures via 1H NMR spectroscopy and chemometrics. Phytochemistry 62: 851–858. , , , , .
- 1985. Nonphotosynthetic fixation of carbon dioxide and possible biological roles in higher plants. Biological Reviews 60: 357–401. , .
- 1976. A rapid and sensitive method for quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein dye-binding. Analytical Biochemistry 72: 248–254. .
- 1992. Quantitation of rates of transport, metabolic fluxes, and cytoplasmic levels of inorganic carbon in maize root tips during K+ ion uptake. Plant Physiology 99: 291–297. , .
- 1996. Phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase: a ubiquitous, highly regulated enzyme in plants. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 47: 273–298. , , .
- 2001. Molecular mechanisms of plant metal tolerance and homeostasis. Planta 212: 475–486.
- 2006. Toxic metal accumulation, responses to exposure and mechanisms of tolerance in plants. Biochimie 88: 1707–1719.
- 2002. Phytochelatins and metallothioneins: roles in heavy metal detoxification and homeostasis. Annual Review of Plant Biology 53: 159–182. ,
- 1986. The fine control of cytosolic pH. Physiologia Plantarum 67: 702–706. .
- 1996. The cyanide-resistant oxidase: to inhibit or not to inhibit, that is the question. Plant Physiology 110: 1–2. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase in cucumber (Cucumis sativus L.) roots under iron deficiency: activity and kinetic characterization. Journal of Experimental Botany 51: 1903–1909. ,
- 1989. Monoclonal antibodies to the alternative oxidase of higher plant mitochondria. Plant Physiology 89: 1311–1317. , ,
- 2000. Metabolic responses in cucumber (Cucumis sativus L.) roots under Fe-deficiency: a 31P-nuclear magnetic resonance in-vivo study. Planta 210: 985–992. , , ,
- 2004. Effect of transport and reduction on intracellular pH: an in vivo NMR study in maize roots. Journal of Experimental Botany 55: 2053–2061. , ,
- 2005. Enzymes, metabolites and fluxes. Journal of Experimental Botany 56: 267–272. .
- 2004. Respiratory metabolism: glycolysis, the TCA cycle and mitochondrial electron transport. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 7: 254–261. , , .
- 1925. The colorimetric determination of phosphorous. Journal of Biological Chemistry 66: 375–400. ,
- 1995. The effect of cadmium on the fluidity and H+-ATPase activity of plasma membrane from sunflower and wheat roots. Journal of Plant Physiology 147: 87–92. , ,
- 1983. Assay of the Na,K-ATPase in plasma membrane vesicles using sodium dodecyl sulfate buffered with bovine serum albumin. Analytical Biochemistry 128: 159–163.
- 1987. Phytochelatins, a class of heavy metal-binding peptides from plants, are functionally analogous to metallothioneins. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 84: 439–443. , , .
- 2003. Transition metal transporters in plants. Journal of Experimental Botany 54: 2601–2613. , .
- 1968. Photoperoxidation in isolated chloroplasts. I. Kinetics and stoichiometry of fatty acid peroxidation. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics 125: 189–198. ,
- 1997. Modification of the root plasma membrane lipid composition of cadmium-treated Pisum sativum. Journal of Experimental Botany 48: 1375–1381. , .
- 1999. Improving the thiobarbituric acid-reactive-substances assay for estimating lipid peroxidation in plant tissues containing anthocyanin and other interfering compounds. Planta 207: 604–611. , , , .
- 1998. Purification and characterisation of cytosolic fructose 1,6-bisphosphate aldolase from endosperm of germinated castor oil seeds. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics 355: 189–196. , .
- 1963. Malate determination with malic dehydrogenase and DPN. In: BergmeyerHU, ed. Methods of enzymatic analysis. Weinheim, Germany: Verlag Chemie, 328–332. .
- 2004. Phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase: a new era of structural biology. Annual Review of Plant Biology 55: 69–84. , , ,
- 2003. Hazards of heavy metal contamination. British Medical Bulletin 68: 167–182.
- 1982. The application of 31P nuclear magnetic resonance to higher plant tissue. I. Detection of spectra. Journal of Experimental Botany 33: 656–669. , , , .
- 1989. Intracellular pH: measurement and importance in cell activity. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 40: 271–303. ,
- 1981. Effects of calmodulin inhibitors in plants. I. Synergism with fusicoccin in the stimulation of growth and H+ secretion and in the hyperpolarization on the transmembrane electric potential. Plant Science Letters 23: 253–262. , , , ,
- 1999. The effect of cadmium on sulfate assimilation enzymes in Brassica juncea. Plant Science 141: 201–207. ,
- 2003. Overexpression of Arabidopsis phytochelatin synthase paradoxically leads to hypersensitivity to cadmium stress. Plant Physiology 131: 656–663. , , , , , .
- 2004. Overexpression of phytochelatin synthase in Arabidopsis leads to enhanced arsenic tolerance and cadmium hypersensivity. Plant & Cell Physiology 45: 1787–1797. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. The composition of metals bound to class III metallothionein (phytochelatins and its desglycyl peptide) induced by various metals in root cultures of Rubia tinctorum. Plant Physiology 110: 1145–1150. , , ,
- 1999. Metals and micronutrients – food safety issues. Field Crops Research 60: 143–163. , , .
- 1984. Effect of Ni2+ on proton extrusion, dark CO2 fixation and malate synthesis in maize roots. Physiologia Plantarum 60: 70–74. , , .
- 2001. Responses of glutathione cycle enzymes and glutathione metabolism to copper stress in Scenedsmus bijugatus. Plant Science 160: 291–299. , .
- 2007. Sulfur metabolism and cadmium stress in higher plants. Plant Stress 1: 142–156. , , , .
- 2002. Cadmium-induced sulfate uptake in maize roots. Plant Physiology 129: 1872–1879. , , , .
- 1988. Quantitative assessment of worldwide contamination of air, water and soils by trace metals. Nature 333: 134–139. ,
- 1996. In vivo and in vitro phosphorylation of phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase from wheat seeds during germination. Plant Physiology 119: 551–558. , , , ,
- 2001. Plant plasma membrane H+-ATPase: powerhouse for nutrient uptake. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 52: 817–845. .
- 1990. Sealed inside-out and right-side-out plasma membrane vesicles. Plant Physiology 92: 871–880. , , , , ,
- 2002. Heavy metal toxicity: cadmium permeates through calcium channels and disturbs the plant water status. Plant Journal 32: 539–548. , , ,
- 1996. The organization and regulation of plant glycolysis. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 47: 185–214. .
- 2004. Weeds, worms, and more. Papain's long-lost cousin, phytochelatin synthase. Plant Physiology 136: 2463–2474. , , .
- 1997. Involvement of Ca2+-calmodulin in Cd2+ toxicity during the early phases of radish (Raphanus sativus L.) seed germination. Plant, Cell & Environment 20: 600–608. , ,
- 1980. Estimation of cytoplasmic and vacuolar pH in higher plant cells by 31P-NMR. Nature 283: 870–872. , , ,
- 1992. In vivo and in vitro effects of nickel and cadmium on the plasmalemma ATPase from rice (Oryza sativa L.) shoots and roots. Plant Science 83: 1–6. , , ,
- 2006. Proteome changes in Arabidopsis thaliana roots upon exposure to Cd2+. Journal of Experimental Botany 57: 4003–4013. , ,
- 2004. Sulfur assimilatory metabolism. The long and smelling road. Plant Physiology 136: 2443–2450.
- 1998. Revision of biochemical pH-stat: involvement of alternative pathway metabolisms. Plant & Cell Physiology 39: 467–473.
- 2001. Metabolic regulation of pH in plant cells: role of cytoplasmic pH in defence reaction and secondary metabolism. International Review of Cytology 206: 1–44.
- 1999. Response to cadmium in higher plants. Environmental and Experimental Botany 41: 105–130. ,
- 2006. The early responses of Arabidopsis thaliana cells to cadmium exposure explored by protein and metabolite profiling analysis. Proteomics 6: 2180–2198. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1998. cDNA cloning and expression analysis of genes encoding GSH synthesis in roots of the heavy metal accumulator Brassica juncea L: evidence for Cd induction of a putative mitochondrial γ-glutamylcysteine synthetase isoform. Plant Molecular Biology 37: 87–97. , ,
- 2002. Plant responses to abiotic stresses: heavy metal-induced oxidative stress and protection by mycorrhization. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 1351–1365. ,
- 1992. Metabolic response of maize roots to hyperosmotic shock. An in vivo 31P nuclear magnetic resonance study. Plant Physiology 99: 856–863. , , .
- 1966. Dark CO2 fixation and its role in the growth of plant tissue. Plant Physiology 41: 755–759. .
- 1967. CO2 metabolism in corn roots. I. Kinetics of carboxylation and decarboxylation. Plant Physiology 42: 712–718. , .
- 2006. Effects of simultaneous expression of heterologous genes involved in phytochelatin biosynthesis on thiol content and cadmium accumulation in tobacco plants. Journal of Experimental Botany 57: 2173–2182. , , , , ,
- 1948. Electrometric and colorimetric determination of carbonic anhydrase. Journal of Biological Chemistry 176: 147–154. , .
- 1998. Glutathione metabolic genes coordinately respond to heavy metals and jasmonic acid in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 10: 1539–1550. , .
- 1996. Heavy-metal detoxification in higher plants: a review. Gene 179: 21–30. .
- 1999a. Overexpression of glutathione synthetase in Indian mustard enhances cadmium accumulation and tolerance. Plant Physiology 119: 73–79. , , ,
- 1999b. Cadmium tolerance and accumulation in Indian mustard is enhanced by overexpressing γ-glutamylcysteine synthetase. Plant Physiology 121: 1169–1177. , , , , ,
- 2007. Iron deficiency differently affects metabolic responses in soybean roots. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 993–1000. , , , ,