These authors contributed equally to this work.
Gibberellins, jasmonate and abscisic acid modulate the sucrose-induced expression of anthocyanin biosynthetic genes in Arabidopsis
Article first published online: 5 JUN 2008
© The Authors (2008). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 179, Issue 4, pages 1004–1016, September 2008
How to Cite
Loreti, E., Povero, G., Novi, G., Solfanelli, C., Alpi, A. and Perata, P. (2008), Gibberellins, jasmonate and abscisic acid modulate the sucrose-induced expression of anthocyanin biosynthetic genes in Arabidopsis. New Phytologist, 179: 1004–1016. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02511.x
- Issue published online: 6 AUG 2008
- Article first published online: 5 JUN 2008
- Received: 3 March 2008Accepted: 9 April 2008
Vol. 193, Issue 1, 289, Article first published online: 8 NOV 2011
- 2005. Methyl jasmonate in conjunction with ethanol treatment increases antioxidant capacity, volatile compounds and postharvest life of strawberry fruit. European Food Research and Technology 6: 731–738. , , , .
- 2007. A central integrator of transcription networks in plant stress and energy signalling. Nature 448: 938–943. , , ,
- 2007. Jasmonate signalling network in Arabidopsis thaliana: crucial regulatory nodes and new physiological scenarios. New Phytologist 177: 301–318. ,
- 2003. Abscisic acid and 2,4-dichlorohenoxyacetic acid affect the expression of anthocyanin biosynthetic pathway genes in ‘Kyoho’ grapeberries. Journal of Horticultural Science and Biotechnology 78: 586–589. , , , , ,
- 1995. COI1-dependent expression of an Arabidopsis vegetative storage protein in flowers and siliques and in response to coronatine and methyl jasmonate. Plant Physiology 109: 567–572. , , .
- 1997. Mutants of Arabidopsis as tools to understand the regulation of phenylpropanoid pathway and UVB protection mechanisms. Photochemistry and Photobiology 65: 765–776. , .
- 2000. Activation tagging identifies a conserved MYB regulator of phenylpropanoid biosynthesis. Plant Cell 12: 2383–2394. , , , ,
- 1996. Analysis of the expression of anthocyanin pathway genes in developing Vitis vinifera L. cv. Shiraz grape berries and the implications for pathway regulation. Plant Physiology 111: 1059–1066. , , .
- 2007. The COI1 and DFR genes are essential for regulation of jasmonate-induced anthocyanin accumulation in Arabidopsis. Journal of Integrative Plant Biology 49: 1370–1377. , , , , ,
- 2007. Expression analysis of anthocyanin regulatory genes in response to different light qualities in Arabidopsis thaliana. Journal of Plant Physiology 165: 886–894. , , , , , ,
- 1995. Induction of anthocyanin accumulation by cytokinins in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Physiology 108: 47–57. , .
- 2005. Expression profiling reveals COI1 to be a key regulator of genes involved in wound- and methyl jasmonate-induced secondary metabolism, defence, and hormone interactions. Plant Molecular Biology 58: 497–513. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Regulation of jasmonate-mediated plant responses in Arabidopsis. Annals of Botany 92: 329–337. , .
- 2003. Exogenous ethylene stimulates the long term expression of genes related to anthocyanin biosynthesis in grape berries. Physiologia Plantarum 119: 175–282. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2002. A conditionally fertile coi1 allele indicates cross-talk between plant hormone signalling pathways in Arabidopsis thaliana seeds and young seedlings. Planta 215: 549–556. , .
- 2002. Protein complexes mediate signalling in plant responses to hormones, light, sucrose and pathogens. Plant Molecular Biology 50: 971–980. , ,
- 2001. SKP1-SnRK protein kinase interactions mediate proteasomal binding of a plant SCF ubiquitin ligase. EMBO Journal 20: 2742–2756. , , , , , , , , ,
- 1994. Arabidopsis mutants selected for resistance to the phytotoxin coronatine are male sterile, insensitive to methyl jasmonate, and resistant to a bacterial pathogen. Plant Cell 6: 751–759. , , , .
- 1999. Biosynthesis of flavonoids. In: SankawaU, ed. Comprehensive natural products chemistry. Amsterdam, the Netherlands: Elsevier, 713–748. ,
- 1991. Induction of soybean vegetative storage proteins and anthocyanins by low-level atmospheric methyl jasmonate. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 88: 6745–6749. , .
- 1998. Purification and characterization of anthocyanin 3-aromatic acyltransferase from Perilla frutescens. Plant Science 137: 87–94. , , , , ,
- 2002. Expression of the grape dihydroflavonol reductase gene and analysis of its promoter region. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 1397–1409. , , ,
- 2001. Regulation of the leucoanthocyanidin dioxygenase gene expression in Vitis vinifera. Plant Science 161: 579–588. , ,
- 2004. Nature's Swiss army knife: the diverse protective roles of anthocyanins in leaves. Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology 5: 314–320. .
- 2002. Do anthocyanins function as antioxidants in leaves? Imaging of H2O2 in red and green leaves after mechanical injury. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 1261–1269. , , .
- 2003. Dissection and manipulation of metabolic signalling pathways. Annals of Applied Biology 142: 25–31. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Effects of ABA and ethephon treatments on coloration and fruit quality in Kyoho grape. Journal of the Korean Society for Horticultural Science 37: 416–420. , , , .
- 2003. Enhancement of anthocyanin biosynthesis by sugar in radish (Raphanus sativus) hypocotyl. Plant Science 164: 259–265. , , ,
- 1992. The Viviparous-1 gene and abscisic acid activate the C1 regulatory gene for anthocyanin biosynthesis during seed maturation in maize. Genes & Development 6: 609–618. , , , , , .
- 1999. Cell layer-specific accumulation of anthocyanins in response to gibberellic acid in tepals of Hyacinthus orientalis. Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry 5: 930–931.
- 1992. The effect of growth retardants on anthocyanin production in carrot cell suspension cultures. Plant Cell Reports 11: 304–309. , .
- 1994. Effect of gibberellic acid and uniconazole on the activities of some enzymes of anthocyanin biosynthesis in carrot cell cultures. Journal of Plant Growth Regulation 13: 213–219. , .
- 2004. Effects of plant hormones and shading on the accumulation of anthocyanins and the expression of anthocyanin biosynthetic genes in grape berry skins. Plant Science 167: 247–252. , , ,
- 2007. Phosphate starvation root architecture and anthocyanin accumulation responses are modulated by the gibberellin-DELLA signaling pathway in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 145: 1460–1470. , , , , .
- 2006. Response to environmental and chemical signals for anthocyanin biosynthesis in nonchlorophyllous corn (Zea mays L.) leaf. Journal of Plant Biology 49: 16–25. , , , ,
- 1996. Carbohydrate-modulated gene expression in plants. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 47: 509–540. .
- 1984. The isolation and characterization of abscisic acid-insensitive mutants of Arabidopsis thaliana. Physiologia Plantarum 61: 377–383. , , .
- 1980. Induction and analysis of gibberellin-sensitive mutants in Arabidopsis thaliana (L.) Heynh. Theoretical Applied Genetics 58: 257–263. , .
- 2006. Arabidopsis cytokinin-resistant mutant, cnr1, displays altered auxin responses and sugar sensitivity. Plant Molecular Biology 62: 409–425. , , , , .
- 2007. Nitrogen deficiency enhances expression of specific MYB and bHLH transcription factors and accumulation of end products in the flavonoid pathway. Planta 225: 1245–1253. , , ,
- 2003. Sugar and hormone connections. Trends in Plant Science 8: 110–116. ,
- 2000. Glucose and disaccharide-sensing mechanisms modulate the expression of α-amylase in barley embryos. Plant Physiology 123: 939–948. , ,
- 1996. Effect of exogenous application of gibberellic acid on color change and phenylalanine ammonia-lyase, chlorophyllase, and peroxidase activities during ripening of strawberry fruit (Fragaria × ananassa Duch.). Journal of Plant Growth Regulation 3: 139–146. , , .
- 1989. Molecular analysis of viviparous-1: an abscisic acid-insensitive mutant of maize. Plant Cell 1: 523–532. , , , .
- 1997. Sugar-dependent gibberellin-induced chalcone synthase gene expression in petunia corollas. Plant Physiology 113: 419–424. , , , ,
- 2005. Effects of abscisic acid treatment and night temperatures on anthocyanin composition in Pinot noir grapes. Vitis 44: 161–165. , , , , , , ,
- 1994. Use of auxin and cytokinin to regulate anthocyanin production and composition in suspension cultures of strawberry cell. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture 65: 271–276. , , ,
- 2003. Levels of active oxygen species are controlled by ascorbic acid and anthocyanin in Arabidopsis. Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry 7: 2992–2999. , , , , , ,
- 2001. Gibberellic acid-induced changes in glutathione metabolism and anthocyanin content in plant tissue. Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture 64: 77–80. ,
- 1997. Regulatory roles of abscisic acid for anthocyanin synthesis in maize kernels. Maydica 42: 385–391. , , , , , .
- 1997. The Arabidopsis GAI gene defines a signaling pathway that negatively regulates gibberellin responses. Genes & Development 11: 3194–3205. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Sugar repression of a gibberellin-dependent signaling pathway in barley embryos. Plant Cell 9: 2197–2208. , , ,
- 2002. Members of the cp1/pl1 regulatory gene family mediate the response of maize aleurone and mesocotyl to different light qualities and cytokinins. Plant Physiology 128: 1077–1086. , , ,
- 2003. Effect of methyl jasmonate and p-coumaric acid on anthocyanin composition in a sweet potato cell suspension culture. Biochemical Engineering Journal 14: 171–177. , , , , ,
- 1994. JIPs and RIPs: the regulation of plant gene expression by jasmonates in response to environmental cues and pathogens. Plant Cell 6: 1197–1209. , ,
- 1991. The aba mutant of Arabidopsis thaliana is impaired in epoxy-carotenoid biosynthesis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 88: 7496–7499. , .
- 2006. Sugar sensing and signaling in plants: conserved and novel mechanisms. Annual Review of Plant Biology 57: 675–709. , ,
- 2002. Sugar sensing and signalling in plants. Plant Cell 14: S185–S205. , ,
- 1997. Effects of a triazolic fungicide on maize plant metabolism: modifications of transcript abundance in resistance-related pathways. Plant Science 130: 51–62. , , ,
- 2002. Methyl jasmonate enhances anthocyanin accumulation and modified production of phenolics and pigments in ‘Fuji’ apples. Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science 127: 435–441. , , , .
- 1994. Phosphate modulates transcription of soybean VspB and other sugar-inducible genes. Plant Cell 6: 737–749. , , , , .
- 2003. Methyl jasmonate stimulation of the formation and accumulation of anthocyanin in Kalanchoe blossfeldiana. Acta Physiologiae Plantarum 25: 143–149. , , ,
- 1998b. Effect of methyl jasmonate on anthocyanin accumulation, ethylene production, and CO2 evolution in cooled and uncooled tulip bulbs. Journal of Plant Growth Regulation 17: 33–37. , , , , ,
- 1998a. Methyl jasmonate induces gums and stimulates anthocyanin accumulation in peach shoot. Journal of Plant Growth Regulation 17: 121–124. , ,
- 2004. Interaction of methyl jasmonate and ethephon in gum formation in tulip bulbs. Journal of the Faculty of Agriculture, Kyushu University 49: 207–215. , , , ,
- 2007. The JAZ proteins link jasmonate perception with transcriptional changes. Plant Cell 19: 3839–3842. ,
- 1995. Analysis of Arabidopsis mutants deficient in flavonoid biosynthesis. Plant Journal 8: 659–671. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Sugar-induced signal transduction in plants. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 51: 49–81.
- 2006. Sucrose-specific induction of the anthocyanin biosynthetic pathway in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 140: 637–646. , , , ,
- 1992. Methyl jasmonate inhibition of root growth and induction of a leaf protein are decreased in an Arabidopsis thaliana mutant. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 89: 6837–6840. , , .
- 2002. Jasmonate response locus JAR1 and several related Arabidopsis genes encode enzymes of the firefly luciferase superfamily that show activity on jasmonic, salicylic, and indole-3-acetic acids in an assay for adenylation. Plant Cell 4: 1405–1415. , , .
- 2003. Elicitation of anthocyanin production in callus cultures of Daucus carota and the involvement of methyl jasmonate and salicylic acid. Acta Physiologiae Plantarum 3: 249–256. , .
- 1995. Methyl jasmonate induces pigmentation and flavonoid gene expression in petunia corollas: a possible role in wound response. Physiologia Plantarum 94: 45–50. , , ,
- 2005. Sucrose-specific induction of anthocyanin biosynthesis in Arabidopsis requires the MYB75/PAP1 gene. Plant Physiology 139: 1840–1852. , , , ,
- 2007. JAZ repressor proteins are targets of the SCF (COI1) complex during jasmonate signalling. Nature 448: 661–665. , , , , , , , , ,
- 2007. Plant tolerance to drought and salinity: modulation of transcription factors. Proceedings of the 18th International Conference on Arabidopsis Research, 176. , , ,
- 2002. The jasmonate signal pathway. Plant Cell 14: S153–S164. , ,
- 2003. Arabidopsis ICX1 is a negative regulator of several pathways regulating flavonoid biosynthesis genes. Plant Physiology 131: 707–715. , , .
- 2000. Regulation of flower pigmentation and growth: multiple signalling pathways control anthocyanin synthesis in expanding petals. Physiologia Plantarum 110: 152–157.
- 1995. Identification of endogenous gibberellins in petunia flower, induction of anthocyanin biosynthetic gene expression and the antagonistic effect of abscisic acid. Plant Physiology 107: 695–702. , , , , , .
- 2007. Mechanisms of cross talk between gibberellin and other hormones. Plant Physiology 144: 1240–1246. ,
- 1995. Phenotypic suppression of the gibberellin-insensitive mutant (gai) of Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 108: 495–502. , .
- 2001. Flavonoid biosynthesis. A colourful model for genetics, biochemistry, cell biology, and biotechnology. Plant Physiology 126: 485–493.
- 2007. An ‘Electronic Fluorescent Pictograph’ browser for exploring and analyzing large-scale biological data sets. PLoS ONE 2: e718. , , , , , .