Genome-wide analysis of a land plant-specific acyl:coenzymeA synthetase (ACS) gene family in Arabidopsis, poplar, rice and Physcomitrella
Article first published online: 4 JUL 2008
© The Authors (2008). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 179, Issue 4, pages 987–1003, September 2008
How to Cite
De Azevedo Souza, C., Barbazuk, B., Ralph, S. G., Bohlmann, J., Hamberger, B. and Douglas, C. J. (2008), Genome-wide analysis of a land plant-specific acyl:coenzymeA synthetase (ACS) gene family in Arabidopsis, poplar, rice and Physcomitrella. New Phytologist, 179: 987–1003. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02534.x
- Issue published online: 6 AUG 2008
- Article first published online: 4 JUL 2008
- Received: 23 March 2008 Accepted: 7 May 2008
- 1998. 4-Coumarate:coenzyme A ligase in hybrid poplar. Properties of native enzymes, cDNA cloning, and analysis of recombinant enzymes. Plant Physiology 116: 743–754. , , , , .
- Arabidopsis Genome Initiative. 2000. Analysis of the genome sequence of the flowering plant Arabidopsis thaliana. Nature 408: 796–815.
- 1991. Structural comparison, modes of expression, and putative cis-acting elements of the two 4-coumarate:CoA ligase genes in potato. Journal of Biological Chemistry 266: 8551–8559. , ,
- 2007. Green genes-comparative genomics of the green branch of life. Cell 129: 229–234. , ,
- 1998. Floral dip: a simplified method for Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 16: 735–743. , .
- 2005. Characterization in vitro and in vivo of the putative multigene 4-coumarate:CoA ligase network in Arabidopsis: syringyl lignin and sinapate/sinapyl alcohol derivative formation. Phytochemistry 66: 2072–2091. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2003. An in silico assessment of gene function and organization of the phenylpropanoid pathway metabolic networks in Arabidopsis thaliana and limitations thereof. Phytochemistry 64: 1097–1112. , , , , , .
- 2001. Structure and evolution of 4-coumarate:coenzyme A ligase (4CL) gene families. Biological Chemistry 382: 645–654. , , , .
- 1987. Structure and elicitor or uv-light-stimulated expression of two 4-coumarate:CoA ligase genes in parsley. EMBO Journal 6: 1189–1195. , , ,
- 2006. Expression pattern shifts following duplication indicative of subfunctionalization and neofunctionalization in regulatory genes of Arabidopsis. Molecular Biology and Evolution 23: 469–478. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Three 4-coumarate:coenzyme A ligases in Arabidopsis thaliana represent two evolutionarily divergent classes in angiosperms. Plant Journal 19: 9–20. , , , , ,
- 2005. Global transcript profiling of primary stems from Arabidopsis thaliana identifies candidate genes for missing links in lignin biosynthesis and transcriptional regulators of fiber differentiation. Plant Journal 42: 618–640. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2001. Identification of 4-coumarate:coenzyme A ligase (4CL) substrate recognition domains. Plant Journal 27: 455–465. , , .
- 2003. A simple, fast and accurate algorithm to estimate large phylogenies by maximum likelihood. Systematic Biology 52: 696–704. ,
- 1989. Physiology and molecular biology of phenylpropanoid metabolism. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 40: 347–369. ,
- 2007. Genome-wide analyses of phenylpropanoid-related genes in Populus trichocarpa, Arabidopsis thaliana, and Oryza sativa: the Populus lignin toolbox and conservation and diversification of angiosperm gene families. Canadian Journal of Botany 85: 1182–1201. , , , , ,
- 2004. The 4-coumarate:CoA ligase gene family in Arabidopsis thaliana comprises one rare, sinapate-activating and three commonly occurring isoenzymes. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 101: 2209–2214. ,
- 2002. Differential substrate inhibition couples kinetically distinct 4-coumarate:coenzyme a ligases with spatially distinct metabolic roles in quaking aspen. Plant Physiology 128: 428–438. , , , .
- 1991. A parsley 4CL-1 promoter fragment specifies complex expression patterns in transgenic tobacco. Plant Cell 3: 435–443. , , , , , .
- 2003. Multiplex real-time PCR for monitoring Heterobasidion annosum colonization in Norway spruce clones that differ in disease resistance. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 69: 4413–4420. , , , , .
- 1998. Compartmentalized expression of two structurally and functionally distinct 4-coumarate:CoA ligase genes in aspen (Populus tremuloides). Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 95: 5407–5412. , , , , , , .
- 2007. The homeotic protein AGAMOUS controls late stamen development by regulating a jasmonate biosynthetic gene in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 19: 3516–3529. , , , , .
- 1987. GUS fusions: beta-glucuronidase as a sensitive and versatile gene fusion marker in higher plants. EMBO Journal 6: 3901–3907. , , .
- 2003. Cinnamate:coenzyme A ligase from the filamentous bacterium Streptomyces coelicolor A3(2). Journal of Bacteriology 185: 20–27. , ,
- 2008. Jasmonates meet fatty acids: functional analysis of a new acyl-coenzyme A synthetase family from Arabidopsis thaliana. Journal of Experimental Botany 59: 403–419. , , , , , , ,
- 2006. Identification of a peroxisomal acyl-activating enzyme involved in the biosynthesis of jasmonic acid in Arabidopsis. Journal of Biological Chemistry 281: 33511–33520. , , , .
- 2003. 4-coumarate:CoA ligase gene family in Rubus idaeus: cDNA structures, evolution, and expression. Plant Molecular Biology 51: 327–340. , .
- 1996. Two divergent members of a tobacco 4-coumarate:coenzyme A ligase (4CL) gene family. cDNA structure, gene inheritance and expression, and properties of recombinant proteins. Plant Physiology 112: 193–205. , .
- 2005. Role of beta-oxidation in jasmonate biosynthesis and systemic wound signaling in tomato. Plant Cell 17: 971–986. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2002. Divergent members of a soybean (Glycine max L.) 4-coumarate:coenzyme A ligase gene family. European Journal of Biochemistry 269: 1304–1315. , , , , , ,
- 2003. Genome-wide characterization of the lignification toolbox in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 133: 1051–1071. , , , ,
- 2006. Genomics of hybrid poplar (Populus trichocarpa × deltoides) interacting with forest tent caterpillars (Malacosoma disstria): normalized and full-length cDNA libraries, expressed sequence tags, and a cDNA microarray for the study of insect-induced defences in poplar. Molecular Ecology 15: 1275–1297. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 19972007. imagej. Bethesda, MD, USA: US National Institutes of Health (http://rsb.info.nih.gov/ij/index.html). .
- 2004. AraPerox. A database of putative Arabidopsis proteins from plant peroxisomes. Plant Physiology 136: 2587–2608. , , ,
- 2003. The substrate specificity-determining amino acid code of 4-coumarate:CoA ligase. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 100: 8601–8606. , , , , , , .
- 2005. A new type of peroxisomal acyl-coenzyme A synthetase from Arabidopsis thaliana has the catalytic capacity to activate biosynthetic precursors of jasmonic acid. Journal of Biological Chemistry 280: 13962–13972. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Arabidopsis contains a large superfamily of acyl-activating enzymes. Phylogenetic and biochemical analysis reveals a new class of acyl-coenzyme A synthetases. Plant Physiology 132: 1065–1076. , ,
- 2001. Identification of the substrate specificity-conferring amino acid residues of 4-coumarate:coenzyme A ligase allows the rational design of mutant enzymes with new catalytic properties. Journal of Biological Chemistry 276: 26893–26897. ,
- 2005. The Botany Array Resource: e-Northerns, Expression Angling, and promoter analyses. Plant Journal 43: 153–163. , , , ,
- 2006. Genome-wide analysis of the structural genes regulating defense phenylpropanoid metabolism in Populus. New Phytologist 172: 47–62. , , , ,
- 2005. Characterization of Arabidopsis fluoroacetate-resistant mutants reveals the principal mechanism of acetate activation for entry into the glyoxylate cycle. Journal of Biological Chemistry 280: 2780–2787. , , , .
- 2006. The genome of black cottonwood, Populus trichocarpa (Torr. & Gray). Science 313: 1596–1604. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2003. Anther-specific coumarate CoA ligase-like gene from Nicotiana sylvestris expressed during uninucleate microspore development. Plant Science 164: 525–530. , , .
- 2005. The Institute for Genomic Research Osa1 rice genome annotation database. Plant Physiology 138: 18–26. , , , , , , , , , et al .